Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 697473 times)

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #1120 on: March 15, 2016, 05:49:26 AM »
Oh I would love working AC. I am just not convinced that pouring money into 40 year old AC technology is wise. I figure I will go with a Vintage Air system when the budget allows.  :)

Of course it was 90  degrees here yesterday. To help you make your point.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #1121 on: March 15, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
Oh I would love working AC. I am just not convinced that pouring money into 40 year old AC technology is wise. I figure I will go with a Vintage Air system when the budget allows.  :)

Of course it was 90  degrees here yesterday. To help you make your point.

That is exactly my dilemma.  For originality (since I have all the original A/C parts), I'd love to set it up just for show purposes.  Then, if it's feasible, make it functional.

However, for performance and weight reduction, removing it all is much easier.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1122 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »

I would prefer the old AC for purposes only of the stock look.  However, when I upgraded to roller rockers and needed taller valve covers, that preference became complicated as the original AC set up does not clear the valve covers.  Going aftermarket seems the better option.  Even then, the chance of not getting it linked up to the factory controls gives me pause.  I've heard that it can be done on a case-by-case, but no off the shelf solution.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #1123 on: March 15, 2016, 04:19:35 PM »
A dozen years ago I had an AC license - that said it does not mean too much as I have forgotten most of the stuff I learned.  But one thing I do remember is that R12 (Freon) is a superior refrigerant to R134a per pound heat transferred.  What this means is that the old original R12 setups will cool you car better.  I did not think I would use the AC in my TA and tossed it.

Mistake.

I did end up running Vintage Air.  Some of the stuff was very good, other stuff like the mounting brackets and ducting were a joke compared to the stock stuff.  The VA setup has NO provision for mixing fresh air and takes up a hell of a lot of room behind the dash.

Were I to do it again I would have kept the stock AC stuff, repaired the controls and handed the AC shop the jack to make it work correctly.

$0.02

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #1124 on: March 15, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
I'd say factory A/C too if possible since then everything is off the shelf and there's plenty of troubleshooting procedures and helpful information if things get wonky.  The only car I've been in with a working R12 system was my father's 10th Anniversary T/A and even though it blew cold it didn't blow very hard.  He even went through the trouble of sealing all the gaps in the ducting to help.

Oh ye almost forgot.  Bought a radio kit and some other small stuff like wiper blades and filters for the Firebird.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:47:41 PM by Box »

« Reply #1124 on: March 15, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1125 on: March 15, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »
I am determined on keeping my T/A and Iroc-Z's AC systems with R-12. I regretted converting my Monte SS to 134.
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1126 on: March 16, 2016, 07:09:50 AM »
I am thinking that "converting" an AC system from R12 will not be very efficient. The benefit of using the VA is that it would be a system that was designed to use the 134A. I have no problem with the R12 system (and don't doubt it is equally effective), but eventually the plan is to go LS drivetrain. It feels like an equally bad idea to run R12 through an LS compressor, and that doesn't even begin to address what hoses would be required to mate a metric compressor to all SAE fittings etc. I would love to hear from anyone who has done so. In any event this is likely 2 years down the road for me, and I did keep all of the parts in case I decide later to reverse course...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1127 on: March 16, 2016, 07:44:05 AM »
Yesterday I...

Had to contact TSR Racing to see where the Hell my transmission parts are.  They had supposedly shipped Monday of last week and I still haven't see them. 

Grrrr FedEx did deliver, they just hid the parts in a side door that I never check.  I've mentioned several times in my restoration thread how much I hate FedEx.  Not only because they charge ridiculous amount of money for shipping, but also because they are sooooooo slow!!

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1128 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Meh, better than United Parcel Smashers.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #1129 on: March 16, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
I am thinking that "converting" an AC system from R12 will not be very efficient. The benefit of using the VA is that it would be a system that was designed to use the 134A. I have no problem with the R12 system (and don't doubt it is equally effective), but eventually the plan is to go LS drivetrain. It feels like an equally bad idea to run R12 through an LS compressor, and that doesn't even begin to address what hoses would be required to mate a metric compressor to all SAE fittings etc. I would love to hear from anyone who has done so. In any event this is likely 2 years down the road for me, and I did keep all of the parts in case I decide later to reverse course...

They do make brackets to mount compressors that use R12 and mount them on LS motors - and adaptor hoses are no big thing...

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1130 on: March 16, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »
Meh, better than United Parcel Smashers.

Mid. Nov 2014, I ordered an Ipad for Christmas. Apple shipped UPS the next day. Over the course of a few weeks I watched the tracking on it as it slowly crossed the US and into Canada. By Dec. 21 it had finally arrived in my towns UPS distribution center and was send "out for Delivery" the next day. Over those few weeks I had called a few times to see why it was taking so long and each time was told "it's coming".

On Dec 28-9? it still hadn't arrived and tracking still said "out for delivery" I called again and was told "my you've waited a long time for it, it must be lost, as it hadn't had any new tracking on it for more than a week". I was then told to have Apple put in a claim. I did and Apple sent another IPad the next day, by Fed-Ex this time, I asked Apple what I should do if both Ipads show up? They said "do what ever you want with them"?

About 10-12 days later the second Ipad arrived. I looked up the first Ipad and UPS still showed it "out for delivery" so I called them just to see if they had figured it out what happened. They said since there was still a tracking #, we could change the delivery instructions to hold it in the warehouse for the next day pick up and I could pick it up. I said sure lets try that, the next day I had two IPads for the price of one, a nice outcome except for the 2 month delivery.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Pats TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1131 on: March 16, 2016, 07:03:04 PM »
^^^^^^ I guess that was worth the wait.^^^^^^ 

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1132 on: March 16, 2016, 10:16:59 PM »
but eventually the plan is to go LS drivetrain.

That's exactly what I did with my '87 Monte SS.  I went with an LS drivetrain and have a Sanden compressor, so I will stay with 134. I bought a new condenser, accumulator,  o-tube (will have the dryer flushed) and will have an AC shop fabricate some hoses.

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1133 on: March 17, 2016, 05:35:05 AM »
They do make brackets to mount compressors that use R12 and mount them on LS motors - and adaptor hoses are no big thing...

That is good to know. Thank you for the insight.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1134 on: March 17, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »
Today I...  woke up @ 5 AM for work - at home, in my own bed - and had no idea where I was for a moment.  Yes that's how tired I was after a shot of Nyquil to help with a constant cough, 4 hours of sleep, and a 14 hours shift that same day. 

Can't keep doing this.  Something has to give...

« Reply #1134 on: March 17, 2016, 07:46:38 AM »

cal30_sniper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1135 on: March 17, 2016, 08:02:12 AM »

I have converted several of my older GMs over to Sanden compressors. Rather than custom hose fittings, I always change the backpad out on the Sanden compressor to match the factory hoses. I have done that on several SBC and BBC engines now. You can buy new factory lines with the lining for R134, and they will bolt right up to the new backpad on the Sanden compressor. I highly recommend upgrading to a parallel flow condensor while you're at it. Most people that have AC problems after changing from R12 to R134 are still trying to use the original condensor. The evaporator is fine for r134, but condensors have gotten a lot better since the 70s.

I'm running the factory dual AC system on my Suburban off of a Sanden 7H15 compressor with a GV head bolted up to the 454 using Vintage Air brackets with a new parallel flow condenser and all new lines. It will put you out of the truck on high.
'73 Formula 350
'88 Trans Am GTA L98
'86 Suburban C20 454/NV4500

Formula build thread: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=75375.msg705571#msg705571

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1136 on: March 17, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
today came across this listing, just one too many zeros in the title, lol....

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5494694543.html

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1137 on: March 18, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »
today came across this listing, just one too many zeros in the title, lol....

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5494694543.html

That's what my 76 factory color scheme was.  Love the interior but can't stand silver. 

Today I..  woke up with a splitting headache (this is becoming the norm).  But on the bright side, I'm OFF today  :grin:  May get some more transmission work in today.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1138 on: March 18, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »
Changed out the PCV valve and grommet, then popped in a new driver side window switch.  Also spliced together the radio harness adapter so that'll be ready for putting in my stereo, will change out the hatch struts tomorrow as well.

cal30_sniper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
Sprayed the first color on the Formula. I got the front fender jams done. Two coats of PPG Deltron DBC Buccaneer Red. I did the engine bay surface of the front fenders, along with the wheel well edge, edge where it meets the front bumper, and the surface at the rear that forms the front edge of the door jam.

Pictures don't do the color justice. It looks amazing. I'm planning to lay two coats of SPI clear over it tomorrow.

'73 Formula 350
'88 Trans Am GTA L98

Formula build thread: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=75375.msg705571#msg705571

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #1140 on: March 19, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »
Took my daughter to a hockey game (Everett Silvertips).  Bought a pair of season tix from a scalper right behind the goal, 1st row.  Near the end of the 1st period a rink helper asked if we were season ticket holders (well, we WERE holding a pair...) and my daughter did a intermission contest - she won a FitBit.

Guy to here right won a Galaxy 6.

I got yelled at for beating on the glass to startle opposing players (well, duh...)   :lol:  Good thing the ushers don't work Philly games.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1141 on: March 19, 2016, 04:32:41 AM »
Changed out the PCV valve and grommet, then popped in a new driver side window switch.  Also spliced together the radio harness adapter so that'll be ready for putting in my stereo, will change out the hatch struts tomorrow as well.

Having problems with the new bird already?

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1142 on: March 19, 2016, 12:51:34 PM »
Could wait no longer.  Pulled all the dryer sheets out of my 98.  Removed the trickle charger.  It started right up and I drove slow and easy around the block a couple of times.  Back in the garage and covered.  Will have to wait for the real driving when the full insurance reinstates in a couple of weeks.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1143 on: March 19, 2016, 01:29:11 PM »
Not really so much problems but small things that needed addressed.  I always change the PCV out when I buy a car since a failed valve can cause pressure to build up and blow out gaskets and seals, though the original one was still useable.  The driver window switch the button for the passenger side had broken from its pivot point and a new switch was only $10 shipped, the hatch struts are blown and holding it open with my head got old real quick, then the factory radio the display is dead but I had planned on putting my stereo in anyway.  The rest will be fun stuff like exhaust, but I'm waiting on MagnaFlow to get make more of the mufflers I want to use.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1144 on: March 19, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »
I went and put a deposit on a 5.3 yesterday, but while I was there I found one 70 and two 68 Dodge Chargers sitting in the bushes of the junk yard. Turns out they were the owners high school cars and have been sitting since the late 80's. I'll grab a few pics when I go back to pick up the engine.
Where was this?  Think I've been there...

Damons Junk in E.Bridgewater

I dealt with the owner and he seemed like a really cool guy. Really old school. He's been there his whole life.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

mark369

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Rust is just Extreme Patina!
« Reply #1145 on: March 19, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »
ordered rivnuts for the front swaybar.  this will be fun. get to make a tool.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1146 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:41 PM »
Got the stereo in, so wooooo.

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #1147 on: March 19, 2016, 08:26:49 PM »
Any pics?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1148 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:09 PM »
After I finished getting it in I went to visit my grandmother for awhile so I forgot to snap a picture, I was about to go out and finish setting up the EQ and etc...  Can get a picture then.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1149 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:17 AM »
Good night time pic, will have to get a daytime one later when doing the hatch struts.

Pats TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1150 on: March 20, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »
Looks cool at night. Do the radio controls on the steering wheel still function with the new stereo?

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1151 on: March 20, 2016, 11:48:21 AM »
I love the red lighting on the 4th gens. That was one of my favorite things on my WS6.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1152 on: March 20, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
At the moment the steering wheel controls aren't working with it, but if I find a GM to Sony adapter they'll work again.  It's not too hard to to pop the radio back out to do such thankfully.

I always thought the red lighting was cool too, it's one of the more detailed memories of my mom's '95 T/A when I was a kid.  The stereo I put in has a custom colour function, tried to get it as close as possible.

mark369

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Rust is just Extreme Patina!
« Reply #1153 on: March 20, 2016, 03:30:48 PM »
 Spent the day with "Murphy"

I drilled out a broken hinge bolt, Broke the easy out off in it. Broke 3 drill bits and half the tip on needle nose pliers. But got it all out with usable threads left.

Then I took out 3 bolts from the spinning rivnuts on the front sway bar.   Ground the edge on one side and put a weld bead so nut does not spin anymore.   

Darn tired. Did not put parts back on. 

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1154 on: March 20, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Cleaned the interior plastic panels and put on a coat of SEM Landeau Black.  Loosk nice.  Starting repairs on the headlinder now.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1155 on: March 20, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
Washed it and reset the hood gap as it was off somewhat and bothering me, also put on new wiper blades so I can see in the rain again.  Also snapped a pic of the radio while I was thinking about it.  It's purple with the lights off but as soon as the gauges etc... light up with the sidemarkers it goes red, pretty nifty feature.

cal30_sniper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1156 on: March 20, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
Today my restoration became a frame off restoration...

Hoping to get it and the control arms off to the powdercoaters this week.

All of this work has me really questioning my decision to go back with the factory springs. I'm thinking something from PTFB might fit the bill, but I can't make up my mind.
'73 Formula 350
'88 Trans Am GTA L98

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #1157 on: March 20, 2016, 08:54:10 PM »
Unless you're wanting to keep it all original I wouldn't see why not on upgrading the suspension.

cal30_sniper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #1158 on: March 20, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
Unless you're wanting to keep it all original I wouldn't see why not on upgrading the suspension.

I've already committed to C5 brakes up front and LS1 brakes in the rear, C5 master cylinder/booster conversion, and del-a-lum bushings all around with solid body bushings. My car came with the T/A suspension option, so it has the bigger springs and swaybars already, but I think the PTFB stuff might be a step in the right direction. I'm just not sure how harsh it will make the ride. I'm planning on 17x9 Honeycombs with 255/50/17 rubber, so it won't be as harsh as the 275/40/17 stuff, but I still don't want it knocking out my teeth. I ran Hotchkis springs on my '88 GTA, and they were about as stiff as I'd ever want to have on a street car.
'73 Formula 350
'88 Trans Am GTA L98

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
"upgraded" does not always mean better - as you say too stiff a spring makes and unpleasant ride.  I like the Herb Adams approach: softer springs and thicker bars.

« Reply #1159 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »
You can help support TAC!