Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 695274 times)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #680 on: November 09, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »
Continued the repair of my dash.  Main concern is recreating the slight bead around the instrument panel with dash filler and having it look original.

ThKidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #681 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »
On Saturday I removed the old air shocks (pain) and the brackets that hold the rear axle bumpers.  I also started cleaning the bolts and brackets with the wire brush on my bench grinder (to remove the rubber undercoating), and plan to repaint them before reinstalling.  I also did some more wire brushing with my angle grinder to remove some of the undercoating on the rear springs, rear axle and rear subframe where the brackets and shocks are installed.  I ordered new bumpers today (Ames had the best price, $19 each); I also ordered some shock paint (gray) so I can repaint the new shocks before installing them.  I will also need to reinstall the bumpers and brackets before I install the new shocks.
1977 PHS-documented SE black-on-black (work in progress, ok, not much progress)

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #682 on: November 10, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
My new, (to me anyway), steering column shipped today. Should be here Monday Like Tom Petty said the waiting is the hardest part.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #683 on: November 11, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »
Today I... 

Took my father to lunch @ Applebees for Veterans Day. 

I didn't realize how ugly I am until I saw this pic on my computer screen, as opposed to my tiny smartphone screen.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #684 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
That was nice of you, and Happy Veteran's Day to all our veterans!

I had my hopes brought up today.  Turns out the one with the Accord will take a month to finish paying it off so he has the title, so I figured what the Hell and updated the Craigslist ad with the notion that I would trade but only for two-door cars with a manual transmission.  Of course I had someone offer a SUV...  After that though I get a picture of a '94-98 Mustang saying it and $300, so I'm like wooo finally.  Then find out it has the V6, though I had the sinking suspicion it was when he was offering cash on top immediately.  I would halfway consider one from '99-04 or a 3.8 F-body as they had 200 horsepower which is more than enough for me to drive like an old man with.

« Reply #684 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #685 on: November 12, 2015, 06:26:26 AM »
That was nice of you, and Happy Veteran's Day to all our veterans!

I had my hopes brought up today.  Turns out the one with the Accord will take a month to finish paying it off so he has the title, so I figured what the Hell and updated the Craigslist ad with the notion that I would trade but only for two-door cars with a manual transmission.  Of course I had someone offer a SUV...  After that though I get a picture of a '94-98 Mustang saying it and $300, so I'm like wooo finally.  Then find out it has the V6, though I had the sinking suspicion it was when he was offering cash on top immediately.  I would halfway consider one from '99-04 or a 3.8 F-body as they had 200 horsepower which is more than enough for me to drive like an old man with.

Dude, my brother had a 96 6cyl autotragic.  That car DEFINED the term "Rustang".  Can't really recall something we DIDN'T have to replace, especially in NEPA winters!  After head gaskets and freeze plugs, he finally let it go for $1300.  I told him if he ever buys a Ford again I'm done talking to him.

So back on topic, it's only 7:25 am so I can't really say much to a "Today I..."  Just sitting here at work, trying to be productive.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #686 on: November 12, 2015, 07:04:48 PM »
Steering column arrived today now I have to wait until 2300 to go home and check it out. darn work keeps getting in the way.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #687 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
In fairness at least it meets what I said I'd trade for, which is a two door car with a manual transmission.  I guess I might have to go more in depth and say, "a two door car with a manual transmission, and if it's a domestic it must have a V8." :lol:  Had it been a 5.0 car I'd have been all over it, even a 4.6 would be decent though lacking in means of making power.  I keep waiting for someone with a manual third or fourth gen wanting to trade, but that's yet to happen for whatever reason.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #688 on: November 13, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »
More wire wheeling and sanding on core support.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #689 on: November 14, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
Yesterday I... spent the ENTIRE day fixing the exhaust on my POS Camry.  It's good to go now but if that muffler springs another leak, it's going to have to be replaced (as opposed to MIG welded).

I also had a small fire in my garage  :shock:  I was welding away when a spark hit a rag soaked with kerosene (another long story).  Didn't even notice until I took my helmet off and caught something orange and glowing out of the corner of my eye.  AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  LoL I stomped it out quickly but darn I gotta be more careful!

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #690 on: November 14, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Today I got the fenders and bumper off the car. And in the process I found the original keys to my car, I bet they've been sitting there for the last 20 years at least!
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Hi Ho Silver T/A

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #691 on: November 14, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
LOL! That's pretty funny if you think they may have looked for a long time for those things.
Mark  1967 Firebird conv. 326 3sp manual in progress(who am I fooling)
          1978 Trans Am 400 Auto truly in progress (really)

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
Fired up the old 71, sending her to a new home in the morning.  Some times it's better to set them free if you can't get to them yourself.

My cars
77 400 4 SPEED W72 Y81 SE
73 455 4 SPEED TA Brewster (Waiting Restoration)
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
71 Firebird (New Project)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #693 on: November 14, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
Today I... went to work and then took the Camry in for a "second" alignment.  They couldn't do it right the first time so I brought it back after replacing a control arm.  Drives pretty straight now and the fishtailing issue is fixed  :-D

Now for that pesky check engine light....

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
Today, I put another coat of dash filler on my dash.  Also, not sure what the part in the below photo is called, but had to cut the bolts off to remove the part.  It was attached to the rusted leaf springs that the old shop had stored outside, under a trailer for 2+ years :shock:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:50:43 PM by TA6.6Liter »

« Reply #694 on: November 14, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #695 on: November 15, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
I think it is called the front spring pocket - it bolts to the car with 3 shorter bolts that thread into clip nuts you put on the body of the car..

You could try and acid clean them, it works great for removing old rust.. just throw some citric acid powder into a bucket, add warm water and let them soak for some days or even weeks if required - it is not possible to let them soak for too long if you only use a weak acid like citric acid :)
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #696 on: November 15, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I think it is called the front spring pocket - it bolts to the car with 3 shorter bolts that thread into clip nuts you put on the body of the car..

Thanks.  So, these are not welded to the car and cut off; just unbolted?  It looks like some of the metal was cut, so I assumed these were trashed.  I'll have the shop confirm that the car has a good set available from the 81 donor from which I took the rear clip.  The 81 leaf springs were junked, so not sure if the front spring pockets were trashed at the same time.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #697 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
Those actually look good compared to the ones on my cars.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #698 on: November 15, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »

Thanks.  So, these are not welded to the car and cut off; just unbolted?  It looks like some of the metal was cut, so I assumed these were trashed.  I'll have the shop confirm that the car has a good set available from the 81 donor from which I took the rear clip.  The 81 leaf springs were junked, so not sure if the front spring pockets were trashed at the same time.

I did not notice that they were cut - but I can see it now.. not sure if they are usable or not, someone else might provide some insight :)
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #699 on: November 15, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #700 on: November 16, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Managed to get out to garage for a few minutes today. I primed the steering column. Hoping to get in and get the old column out tomorrow morning. See what happens.

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #701 on: November 16, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
OK, so get this.  I took my newly restored 1980 Trans Am up to the local gas station to fill it up and filled up next to a matte black Porsche Panamera.  A couple of the gas station workers were emptying the garbage cans and I overheard one of them say, "Wow, look at that Porsche" as they walked passed my car.  Uh, hello!  Am I invisible here??   :-x
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #702 on: November 16, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
It's not a Porsche though. :P  Don't feel bad, I'd had rather checked out your T/A than an over glorified Audi sedan.  Also your exhaust must not be loud enough if people don't turn around and look once you're within a mile. :lol:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #703 on: November 16, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
Front body bushings are out so core support is almost off, just get the wiring off the front and the driverside inner fender is holding it on. Seems like theres a stuck bolt at every turn, I think cutting those two off would 6 or 7 destroyed fender/inner fender bolts. I took the spoiler caps off and all but one of the nuts on the center spoiler came off, that one is now somehow free spinning.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 05:22:28 PM by 77 TA man »

1986 T-Top T/A:

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #704 on: November 16, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »
Today, had my wife dropped off a few more parts that the shop needs to get my car to a roller: solid body bushings, subframe connectors, transmission and the rusty leaf springs and rusty front spring pockets. The shop thinks the springs and pockets will clean up with sand-blasting and paint just fine. They will confirm the springs fit the car, which I'll let them take care of that detail, after everything, who knows, maybe the springs are from a pickup truck or something.  Since the current plan is that engine is going to the shop later this month, also dropped off the RARE ceramic mini headers. 

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #705 on: November 18, 2015, 01:16:38 PM »
an over glorified Audi sedan. 

More so it's an SUV cut down to an ugly hatchback four door
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #706 on: November 18, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
Today I got the radiator out and got all of the forward wiring out of the way. Once that inner fender is off the core support is coming out! I also ran the numbers on the Q-jet and its a 1977 Pontiac used with an automatic transmission, I suspect this may be the original carb.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #707 on: November 18, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
Why must it be so hard to find the parts for a manual conversion on GM vehicles?  Probably the same reason it's so hard to find a GM car with a manual transmission.  I hate you GM customers of years past.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #708 on: November 20, 2015, 07:22:36 AM »
Yesterday I...  replaced the passenger cv axle on my POS camry.  It was long overdue.  Want a nice entertaining story?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/1222081-multiple-steering-issues-vibration-3.html#post10333097

Read post #35.  Warning!  That particular forum allows expletives, so click at your own risk.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #709 on: November 20, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »
Oh yeah, I could've warned you about the carrier mount.  One of the joys of doing the 1MZ swap into the Celica is centered around it.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #710 on: November 20, 2015, 01:44:21 PM »
today I have confirmed my appointment to see a 79 TA, excited and hope not to be let down too much if it's not as good shape as I would hope and what seller has said... keeping fingers crossed!!!

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #711 on: November 20, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I could've warned you about the carrier mount.  One of the joys of doing the 1MZ swap into the Celica is centered around it.

WHAT?!?  I know of no such swap, especially an engine that only 5% of Camry's are equipped with.  That's kind of hard for me to read right now.........

Anyway, today I... decided to tackle the very last of my exhaust issues.  Had to buy parts from the dealer but oh well.  Hey Box, could you also have warned me just how much of a PITA it is to remove the rear exhaust manifold on the 1MZ-FE?  Due to rust and lack of space, I ended up having to do a destructive removal of said manifold.  I tried welding it back together.  We will see how well that turned out.

Even though my father came over to help me, I had to quit for the night.  Hopefully I'll get it back together after work tomorrow.

If only the previous owner had done SOME kind of maintenance to this car, maybe I wouldn't be pouring so much time/money into it now.  I think the only reason I even bother is because from day 1, when said previous owner said "You fix it, it's yours", I had automatically assumed it was a 4 cylinder.  Little did I know how "rare" a 6 banger Camry is.  Now if it was a manual transmission, I would have the holy grail of Toyota for that year.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #712 on: November 20, 2015, 11:19:46 PM »
At least you destroyed the rear manifold on an automatic motor, the manual equipped cars have a different manifold on the rear and they're hard to come by as you might imagine.  The 1MZ is a pretty popular swap for sixth gen Celicas and second gen MR2s, A LOT of vehicles had the 1MZ; Camry/Solara, ES300, Avalon, Sienna, RX300, and Highlander.  200-210 hp with a 5-speed manual goes a long way in a 2,500 pound car. :P  I actually wouldn't mind a 1MZ/E153 Solara myself, even better if it's the TRD edition with a supercharger.  What's funny is that there was even a TRD Sienna, part of me would want it just to mess with kids in Hondas. :lol:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #713 on: November 21, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »

1986 T-Top T/A:

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #714 on: November 21, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
Arranged delivery next week of my engine to the restoration shop.  Getting lots of forward movement at the new shop.  Fun times.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #715 on: November 21, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
At least you destroyed the rear manifold on an automatic motor, the manual equipped cars have a different manifold on the rear and they're hard to come by as you might imagine.  The 1MZ is a pretty popular swap for sixth gen Celicas and second gen MR2s, A LOT of vehicles had the 1MZ; Camry/Solara, ES300, Avalon, Sienna, RX300, and Highlander.  200-210 hp with a 5-speed manual goes a long way in a 2,500 pound car. :P  I actually wouldn't mind a 1MZ/E153 Solara myself, even better if it's the TRD edition with a supercharger.  What's funny is that there was even a TRD Sienna, part of me would want it just to mess with kids in Hondas. :lol:

Good to know. 

Today I...  managed to get my pos DD put back together.  At which point, I realized that dang manifold is beyond saving.  I should NOT have cut it, but I saw no other choice at the time. 

MEH.  At least I have ride for the time being.

Oh lol and I also went to work for 8 hours.  I hate having to need 2 jobs but the money is SLOWLY starting to come back around.

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #716 on: November 21, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
today I.... test drove a 79 403 6.6L and a 95 LT1 6-speed, both fun and both way different due of course to the age difference.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #717 on: November 22, 2015, 07:20:23 AM »
today I.... test drove a 79 403 6.6L and a 95 LT1 6-speed, both fun and both way different due of course to the age difference.

Where exactly did you "test drive" a classic? 

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #718 on: November 22, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »

on the roads/freeways  :? Not sure I get it...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #719 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »

on the roads/freeways  :? Not sure I get it...

That's not what I meant.  I meant where did you find a running example of said vehicle, that you could actually turn the key and drive.

« Reply #719 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
You can help support TAC!