2020-B2-3

Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 803010 times)

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #640 on: October 29, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »
Replaced the trunk lock and one of the door locks before it started raining. darn those door lock pieces are a pain to get at. I fought with one of the clips for a while.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #641 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Decaff, first I think you mistook me for someone else, I have no such animal. Second, are you aware of Jack Rich's car collection in Frackville. I think you are near the area. I saw a segment on a tv show about it. He has tens of millions of dollars worth of cars. His family owns or owned at one time all of the coal mining operations, fuel oil, commercial real estate, etc. in your neck of the woods. When I saw the program and they said it was in Frackville I shook my head in disbelief.

I went back and read my previous post.  Yes I did mistake you for someone else.  Sorry about that.  I need to stop being so jealous of people that have nice trucks.  I couldn't even save the two I had so I don't deserve one.

ANYWAY, I know of no "Jack Rich".  Yep, Frackville is barely 20 miles from me.  I should look into that.

Back on topic.  Today I...  will be jacking up the rear end of my Camry again.  I put on two new control arms in the rear and now it fishtails if I go over the SLIGHTEST bump or pothole.  Driving in the rain yesterday was quite fun...

I must see what went wrong.
It's trying to imitate the Firebird now. :lol:

LOL!!!  For the amount of work/money I have put into that rear end (on the T/A), it better NOT do that!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #642 on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Today I got to work at 3:45 am and will be here atleast until 10 pm or so...........
love doing inventory                :mad:
Thats after putting in 26 hrs in the past 2 days.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #643 on: October 30, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »
Because i) I needed tires ii) I'm still a kid @ heart & iii) I got a  good deal on CList, I had my daily driver all murdered out.
Went from a 235/55 on a 17x7 to a 245/45 on an 18x8.  Rim is a KMC Rockstar

Before

After

Have to do something to clean up the calipers
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
nice CTS, i had one a while back and for the most part really really liked it (unfortunately i got a bad one so GM had to take it back after 3 years of me dealing with all the issues and the many many service visits)-----got most my $$ back and another good thing about the service visits, i drove pretty much all in their fleet, big baller style  :-D

rims look great, change the whole look of the car for the better ---- if i remember correctly my rims were called Helo

« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #645 on: October 31, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
Yesterday I... ordered about $250 in parts for my DD.  Turns out that replacing just those two control arms broke everything else loose.  Sway bar links & bushings (front and rear), trailing arms and bushings, and oh yeah a stupid ABS sensor that I accidentally broke.

Should be fun when it all comes in.

Today I...  get to go to work for 7 hours to pay it all off...

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #646 on: November 01, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
Today...
I got another fender bolt out along with about 3 square feet of dirt and leaves from tge fender. Only one more remaining! The way the passenger side inner fender patch was cut makes me think the blower motor has been replaced at one point. I also noticed that once I scrapped off some of the grease on the subframe there was a layer of whitepaint so thats either factory overspray or its been taken down before and repainted.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #647 on: November 01, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
I measured my rear swaybar with a caliper.. I got a measurement of 17mm

Summit lists poly bushes in either 16mm or 18mm, now I am a bit unsure what to order  :shock:

Guess I might as well order the 16mm and if they are a bit too small I can run a drill through them..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:03:57 AM by 77 Pontiac »
Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

RGB500

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #648 on: November 02, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
I took advantage of the Hotchkis 25% off sale last weekend and bought the TVS kit. So today I ordered the SFC's & solid body bushings from PTFB.  Next week I'll be ordering Fox shocks. let the games begin!

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #649 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Today I removed the battery tray, and cleaned up the battery tray area. Battery tray is toast but thats to be expected. I also cleaned up and painted some interior panels.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

« Reply #649 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
Had someone offer a '72 C-30 just now.  I want to know why is it that some 98% of the people that've contacted me want to trade, and of those the majority have been trucks.  Which I already pulled the car from the front of the yard when someone decided to take out the mailbox the other morning, last thing I need is someone taking it out...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Had someone offer a '72 C-30 just now.  I want to know why is it that some 98% of the people that've contacted me want to trade, and of those the majority have been trucks.  Which I already pulled the car from the front of the yard when someone decided to take out the mailbox the other morning, last thing I need is someone taking it out...

I would trade my Camry for a 72 C-30 in a HEARTBEAT. 

Today I... spent the vast majority of the day working on my DD and my fathers DD.  If anyone here has ever attempted replacing a serpentine belt on a Chevy HHR... DON'T!  Changing that belt requires removal of the wiper fluid reservoir, a splash shield on the passenger side, and a friggin motor mount!  Not only that, I had to fabricate a tool disengage the tensioner pulley. 

Then came the semi-daunting task of tearing off ALL of the rear suspension on my stupid Camry.  Well, the point behind this is that I shouldn't have started so late in the day.  By 8 PM I was literally throwing wrenches at a wall in disgust and fatigue.

Blah!  Tomorrow is another day.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »
Mmmmm   today I don't know who depress me more......decaff  or box. .............
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
I'll trade and sell it to you then. :P

I just don't understand why they're all trucks though.  I had this same issue when selling the Celica, everyone and their aunt wanted to trade their truck for it and I even expressed what I would trade for that time.  It's like I'm living in some kind of truck Hell.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2015, 03:43:50 AM »
I'll trade and sell it to you then. :P

I just don't understand why they're all trucks though.  I had this same issue when selling the Celica, everyone and their aunt wanted to trade their truck for it and I even expressed what I would trade for that time.  It's like I'm living in some kind of truck Hell.
What did I miss? What happened to the 5-speed accord guy?

1986 T-Top T/A:

« Reply #654 on: November 07, 2015, 03:43:50 AM »

2020-B1-8

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #655 on: November 07, 2015, 06:06:03 AM »
I dunno, I didn't hear back from him until just today asking if I was still interested in trading.  I had figured he had changed his mind since the 27th had been the last I heard from him.  To make matters worse for both of us he offered to sell me the TH350 he was going to put into it if I decide I don't want to trade.  So now I have to decide on multiple things and let him know later.  The Accord isn't something I'd go out and buy, but it's the closest thing I've been offered.  At the same time I never put in the listing I'd trade and what for, so what if someone out there is like me and won't offer to trade unless it's stated but has something I'd really want.  Or do I buy the trans and replace it then keep the Firebird even though it's a long way from being a daily I can enjoy, i.e. the lack of A/C etc..

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #656 on: November 07, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
well. if the price of the th350 is right you could buy it and use the TA through the winter then sell next spring. I doubt you will really need AC anymore for at least a few months, and I think the car will sell easier in spring time with a working transmission...

Just my unsolicited 2 cents...

GL either way.
Todd

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #657 on: November 07, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
Yeah at the very least I was planning to get the transmission if the price is reasonable provided we don't trade, so far the ones I've found what they want for a used one is what it costs to exchange for a rebuilt transmission... :roll:  Though if at the end of the day I'm going to be selling either one the Accord will probably be easier and it won't require me changing out transmissions.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #658 on: November 07, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
Today I went to see my 77 in restoration at the new shop. It had set waiting its turn since September 4th.  Suddenly, it is moving forward.  Pics and the entire story are here: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=56714.0

Should be a roller with paint by the end of November.  Engine and drive train by end of December.  Then interior done in January.  Delivery in February/March.  I'm less convinced, but that is what I heard today from the shop owner. 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #659 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
Sounds good Bruce, looking forward to your build thread as I stop on this thread first.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #659 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #660 on: November 07, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Just came in from the garage where I spun the rear cagenut in the driver side  :-x

I lubed that sucker for like 4 months on a regular basis, so I don't think the outcome could have been any different..

Do we have a thread with pictures of the cutting floorboard operation?

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #661 on: November 08, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Just came in from the garage. Pulled the valve covers and intake on the TATA today. And like I suspected coolant in the oil, milky sludge under the valve covers, but no sign of coolant in the cylinders. All spark plugs look great. What are the chances this was caused by a leaking intake gasket??
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #662 on: November 09, 2015, 07:03:50 AM »
Continued the repair of my dash.  Main concern is recreating the slight bead around the instrument panel with dash filler and having it look original.

ThKidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #663 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »
On Saturday I removed the old air shocks (pain) and the brackets that hold the rear axle bumpers.  I also started cleaning the bolts and brackets with the wire brush on my bench grinder (to remove the rubber undercoating), and plan to repaint them before reinstalling.  I also did some more wire brushing with my angle grinder to remove some of the undercoating on the rear springs, rear axle and rear subframe where the brackets and shocks are installed.  I ordered new bumpers today (Ames had the best price, $19 each); I also ordered some shock paint (gray) so I can repaint the new shocks before installing them.  I will also need to reinstall the bumpers and brackets before I install the new shocks.
1977 PHS-documented SE black-on-black (work in progress, ok, not much progress)

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
My new, (to me anyway), steering column shipped today. Should be here Monday Like Tom Petty said the waiting is the hardest part.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »
Today I... 

Took my father to lunch @ Applebees for Veterans Day. 

I didn't realize how ugly I am until I saw this pic on my computer screen, as opposed to my tiny smartphone screen.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
That was nice of you, and Happy Veteran's Day to all our veterans!

I had my hopes brought up today.  Turns out the one with the Accord will take a month to finish paying it off so he has the title, so I figured what the Hell and updated the Craigslist ad with the notion that I would trade but only for two-door cars with a manual transmission.  Of course I had someone offer a SUV...  After that though I get a picture of a '94-98 Mustang saying it and $300, so I'm like wooo finally.  Then find out it has the V6, though I had the sinking suspicion it was when he was offering cash on top immediately.  I would halfway consider one from '99-04 or a 3.8 F-body as they had 200 horsepower which is more than enough for me to drive like an old man with.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #667 on: November 12, 2015, 06:26:26 AM »
That was nice of you, and Happy Veteran's Day to all our veterans!

I had my hopes brought up today.  Turns out the one with the Accord will take a month to finish paying it off so he has the title, so I figured what the Hell and updated the Craigslist ad with the notion that I would trade but only for two-door cars with a manual transmission.  Of course I had someone offer a SUV...  After that though I get a picture of a '94-98 Mustang saying it and $300, so I'm like wooo finally.  Then find out it has the V6, though I had the sinking suspicion it was when he was offering cash on top immediately.  I would halfway consider one from '99-04 or a 3.8 F-body as they had 200 horsepower which is more than enough for me to drive like an old man with.

Dude, my brother had a 96 6cyl autotragic.  That car DEFINED the term "Rustang".  Can't really recall something we DIDN'T have to replace, especially in NEPA winters!  After head gaskets and freeze plugs, he finally let it go for $1300.  I told him if he ever buys a Ford again I'm done talking to him.

So back on topic, it's only 7:25 am so I can't really say much to a "Today I..."  Just sitting here at work, trying to be productive.

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #668 on: November 12, 2015, 07:04:48 PM »
Steering column arrived today now I have to wait until 2300 to go home and check it out. darn work keeps getting in the way.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #669 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
In fairness at least it meets what I said I'd trade for, which is a two door car with a manual transmission.  I guess I might have to go more in depth and say, "a two door car with a manual transmission, and if it's a domestic it must have a V8." :lol:  Had it been a 5.0 car I'd have been all over it, even a 4.6 would be decent though lacking in means of making power.  I keep waiting for someone with a manual third or fourth gen wanting to trade, but that's yet to happen for whatever reason.

« Reply #669 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #670 on: November 13, 2015, 10:18:50 PM »
More wire wheeling and sanding on core support.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #671 on: November 14, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
Yesterday I... spent the ENTIRE day fixing the exhaust on my POS Camry.  It's good to go now but if that muffler springs another leak, it's going to have to be replaced (as opposed to MIG welded).

I also had a small fire in my garage  :shock:  I was welding away when a spark hit a rag soaked with kerosene (another long story).  Didn't even notice until I took my helmet off and caught something orange and glowing out of the corner of my eye.  AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  LoL I stomped it out quickly but darn I gotta be more careful!

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #672 on: November 14, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Today I got the fenders and bumper off the car. And in the process I found the original keys to my car, I bet they've been sitting there for the last 20 years at least!

1986 T-Top T/A:

Hi Ho Silver T/A

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #673 on: November 14, 2015, 05:15:25 PM »
LOL! That's pretty funny if you think they may have looked for a long time for those things.
Mark  1967 Firebird conv. 326 3sp manual in progress(who am I fooling)
          1978 Trans Am 400 Auto truly in progress (really)

fixitrht

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #674 on: November 14, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
Fired up the old 71, sending her to a new home in the morning.  Some times it's better to set them free if you can't get to them yourself.

My cars
77 400 4 SPEED W72 Y81 SE
73 455 4 SPEED TA Brewster (Waiting Restoration)
80 455 (Fun car)
87 GTA 5.7 (Driver)
71 Firebird (New Project)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #675 on: November 14, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »
Today I... went to work and then took the Camry in for a "second" alignment.  They couldn't do it right the first time so I brought it back after replacing a control arm.  Drives pretty straight now and the fishtailing issue is fixed  :-D

Now for that pesky check engine light....

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #676 on: November 14, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
Today, I put another coat of dash filler on my dash.  Also, not sure what the part in the below photo is called, but had to cut the bolts off to remove the part.  It was attached to the rusted leaf springs that the old shop had stored outside, under a trailer for 2+ years :shock:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:50:43 PM by TA6.6Liter »

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #677 on: November 15, 2015, 10:25:27 AM »
I think it is called the front spring pocket - it bolts to the car with 3 shorter bolts that thread into clip nuts you put on the body of the car..

You could try and acid clean them, it works great for removing old rust.. just throw some citric acid powder into a bucket, add warm water and let them soak for some days or even weeks if required - it is not possible to let them soak for too long if you only use a weak acid like citric acid :)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #678 on: November 15, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I think it is called the front spring pocket - it bolts to the car with 3 shorter bolts that thread into clip nuts you put on the body of the car..

Thanks.  So, these are not welded to the car and cut off; just unbolted?  It looks like some of the metal was cut, so I assumed these were trashed.  I'll have the shop confirm that the car has a good set available from the 81 donor from which I took the rear clip.  The 81 leaf springs were junked, so not sure if the front spring pockets were trashed at the same time.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #679 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
Those actually look good compared to the ones on my cars.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #679 on: November 15, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4