Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 698508 times)

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #640 on: October 27, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »
Well, the Accord Coupe guy is supposed to be here tomorrow around five so I can look at the Accord while he looks at the Firebird.  So far I know it has about 160K miles, 158K something on the clock but the speedo sensor went out a few weeks ago.  Says A/C works well and has new tires, just needs the speedo sensor replaced which is like $60 off RockAuto.  If anything being willing to drive it 80+ miles here and back twice shows at least it should be a fairly solid car.

For a 160K car, try to get him to throw some $$ in to sweeten the pot.  Can't hurt to ask. 
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #641 on: October 27, 2015, 10:42:08 AM »
He's already doing an 160 minute round trip twice, and all in all his car is probably worth $2,500-3,000+ so it'd be kind of a jerk thing to do.  It's blue pearl with black leather, alloys, spoiler, and side airbags; so it's the top end model for that year and that'd put it ahead of every other Accord from that generation with similar mileage.  I went ahead and looked and it takes maybe all of 20 minutes to change the speedo sensor and the car never has to leave the ground, Honda was smart and put the sensor on the top of the transmission under the air intake piping.

That and truthfully if everything checks out I actually want it.  It's the best trade offer(as far as me liking it anyway) I've gotten, and everyone that's contacted wanting to do cash has been a no show.  Plus he has a transmission to put into it and will continue to improve upon the car where I left off, so I know it's going to a good home and won't just sit and rot somewhere just because someone wanted one to say they had it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:48:36 AM by Box »

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #642 on: October 27, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Today I...
I got both hood hinges, the pass. side G-Brace(?), driver side marker light removed and I got almost all of the driver side fender bolts out. I ran into a couple that keep spinning so that held me up.
I only have about an hour each day to work on it so tear down is slow if I hit any problems. I like how the engine bay looks more streamlined w/o the hinges. I'm going to try to get the pass. side fender off tomorrow if I have time.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:03:03 PM by 77 TA man »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Pats TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #643 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:19 PM »
Box, good luck on the trade and don't forget to tell him about TAC. He may have some ?'s on restoring the bird.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #644 on: October 27, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
Today I... FINALLY got the correct control arm from rock auto.  I gotta say, at least it shipped from Maryland this time as opposed to California.  I'm in PA so that wasn't so bad.  Now that I have all 4 brand new rear control arms, it was time to put them on.  Yeah.... not so much!  The rear rears are easy as pie.  4 bolts and the whole mess drops right off.  The front rears, GRRRRRRRRR gotta drop the fuel tank to remove them!!@@###$   I am NOT dropping that F!@#ING fuel tank again!  Oh well at least I did get the rear rears done, and I do notice an improvement in handling, but I need to actually get the entire job done and get an alignment.  Then there's the trailing arms and the sway bar bushings and links.  Sigh.........

Trucks have their purpose, as daily drivers? No.
I switch vehicles a lot, one day I'm driving the '07 1500 and the next I'm out in the '99 1500 and then Im in the S10 or the VW. Thats what gets me the most, when I'm used to driving one I have to switch.

Not to seem JEALOUS or anything, but it must be nice to own TWO Chevy K's and an S10... oh and have to decide between them...    I can barely afford my one daily driver (but then again, Toyota parts are UNGODLY expensive and the car was free).

P.S. Yes I'm a little pissed off right now and it's 75% car related.....
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

« Reply #644 on: October 27, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #645 on: October 27, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
He ended up not being able to make it today, that's ok it decided to rain all day and I didn't particularly feel like standing out in it for over half an hour.

Toyota parts aren't any more than any other car that isn't a SBC or SBF.  If you want ungodly part prices go look at some for a Porsche, it'll make you feel better.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:26:46 PM by Box »

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #646 on: October 28, 2015, 05:12:49 AM »
Today I... FINALLY got the correct control arm from rock auto.  I gotta say, at least it shipped from Maryland this time as opposed to California.  I'm in PA so that wasn't so bad.  Now that I have all 4 brand new rear control arms, it was time to put them on.  Yeah.... not so much!  The rear rears are easy as pie.  4 bolts and the whole mess drops right off.  The front rears, GRRRRRRRRR gotta drop the fuel tank to remove them!!@@###$   I am NOT dropping that F!@#ING fuel tank again!  Oh well at least I did get the rear rears done, and I do notice an improvement in handling, but I need to actually get the entire job done and get an alignment.  Then there's the trailing arms and the sway bar bushings and links.  Sigh.........

Trucks have their purpose, as daily drivers? No.
I switch vehicles a lot, one day I'm driving the '07 1500 and the next I'm out in the '99 1500 and then Im in the S10 or the VW. Thats what gets me the most, when I'm used to driving one I have to switch.

Not to seem JEALOUS or anything, but it must be nice to own TWO Chevy K's and an S10... oh and have to decide between them...    I can barely afford my one daily driver (but then again, Toyota parts are UNGODLY expensive and the car was free).

P.S. Yes I'm a little pissed off right now and it's 75% car related.....

Oh no I dont own them, the 1500s are dads and my brother uses one. They both have 300K miles on them so they arent as good as they seem.  And the '99 S10 is now a parts truck for my S10. And  the '00 S10("mine") was a gift from my brother after he blew the engine up we still need to pull the bad block and get the redone head onto the good 2.2 so I can drive that until its done.
 I dont get to choose i just get the vehicle that isnt being used and they all suck.
And BTW...if you guys ever have to pull and swap engines on an S10 dont do it unless your doing a V8 swap where you can just cut everything off and not worry about saving it. My brother has an ungodly amount of vehicles: a '70 Nova, '94 S10, '03 2500 Duramax, '90 1500 all in some sort of disarray keeping them from being driven.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:16:32 AM by 77 TA man »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #647 on: October 28, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »
If you want ungodly part prices go look at some for a Porsche, it'll make you feel better.

Or an Audi.  I was at my pseudo f-i-l's buddies garage yesterday to get a tire fixed, at which point I saw a relatively new Audi A8 up on the lift.  Quite the impressive machine when viewed from underneath.  AWD, true dual exhaust, etc...

I got curious and googled the MSRP.  My jaw hit the floor.  $91K+  Most people houses (around here) aren't worth that much!

Roadking77:  If that 99 K1500 is that bad of a vehicle, I'll happily take if off your hands  :cool:

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #648 on: October 28, 2015, 09:14:14 AM »
If you want ungodly part prices go look at some for a Porsche, it'll make you feel better.

Or an Audi.  I was at my pseudo f-i-l's buddies garage yesterday to get a tire fixed, at which point I saw a relatively new Audi A8 up on the lift.  Quite the impressive machine when viewed from underneath.  AWD, true dual exhaust, etc...

I got curious and googled the MSRP.  My jaw hit the floor.  $91K+  Most people houses (around here) aren't worth that much!

Roadking77:  If that 99 K1500 is that bad of a vehicle, I'll happily take if off your hands  :cool:

True, but the A8 is their luxury saloon often used to transport prime ministers and presidents..

A normal A4 or A6 is not half as expensive in parts..

Greetings from Northern Europe :-)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #649 on: October 28, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »

True, but the A8 is their luxury saloon often used to transport prime ministers and presidents..

A normal A4 or A6 is not half as expensive in parts..

Strange.  I have to wonder what an A8 was doing in my neck of the woods.  I live in the armpit scumbag sh*tstain of New England.  Can't imagine many places being much worse....  so again, unless a drug dealer or pimp owns that car, what's it doing in NEPA?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #650 on: October 28, 2015, 10:43:01 AM »
Odds are he was traveling through the area between his vacation homes and happened to break down.  That or there just happens to be someone with money in the area.  Around my area most people are driving 90's and 00's cars and if it is a newer car it's usually $25,000 or less, but I've seen a Nissan GT-R and a C7 Vette in the area before along with one of the bigger Mercedes Benzes.  The average house is probably in the $70,000-120,000 range, but all in all everything is nice aside from some of the roads that aren't connected into the state highway system.

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #651 on: October 28, 2015, 12:12:36 PM »
Any idea how old the Audi was?  Not being at a dealer makes me think it was an older model. 

BTW - My American made CTS has AWD & true duals for half that price  :grin:
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #652 on: October 28, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
Half the snob factor too. :lol:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #653 on: October 29, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
Any idea how old the Audi was?  Not being at a dealer makes me think it was an older model. 

At least 8 - 10 years old.  The amount of rust on the undercarriage told that story.

Hahah indeed!

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #654 on: October 29, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »

At least 8 - 10 years old.  The amount of rust on the undercarriage told that story.

Hahah indeed!

the body is made from aluminium, so it shouldn't rust.. but I guess the suspension components and exhaust are normal steel..

« Reply #654 on: October 29, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #655 on: October 29, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »
Back on topic.  Today I...  will be jacking up the rear end of my Camry again.  I put on two new control arms in the rear and now it fishtails if I go over the SLIGHTEST bump or pothole.  Driving in the rain yesterday was quite fun...

I must see what went wrong. 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #656 on: October 29, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »
Decaff, first I think you mistook me for someone else, I have no such animal. Second, are you aware of Jack Rich's car collection in Frackville. I think you are near the area. I saw a segment on a tv show about it. He has tens of millions of dollars worth of cars. His family owns or owned at one time all of the coal mining operations, fuel oil, commercial real estate, etc. in your neck of the woods. When I saw the program and they said it was in Frackville I shook my head in disbelief.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #657 on: October 29, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
Back on topic.  Today I...  will be jacking up the rear end of my Camry again.  I put on two new control arms in the rear and now it fishtails if I go over the SLIGHTEST bump or pothole.  Driving in the rain yesterday was quite fun...

It's trying to imitate the Firebird now. :lol:

SmugglerBlues

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #658 on: October 29, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »
Replaced the trunk lock and one of the door locks before it started raining. darn those door lock pieces are a pain to get at. I fought with one of the clips for a while.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #659 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:22 AM »
Decaff, first I think you mistook me for someone else, I have no such animal. Second, are you aware of Jack Rich's car collection in Frackville. I think you are near the area. I saw a segment on a tv show about it. He has tens of millions of dollars worth of cars. His family owns or owned at one time all of the coal mining operations, fuel oil, commercial real estate, etc. in your neck of the woods. When I saw the program and they said it was in Frackville I shook my head in disbelief.

I went back and read my previous post.  Yes I did mistake you for someone else.  Sorry about that.  I need to stop being so jealous of people that have nice trucks.  I couldn't even save the two I had so I don't deserve one.

ANYWAY, I know of no "Jack Rich".  Yep, Frackville is barely 20 miles from me.  I should look into that.

It's trying to imitate the Firebird now. :lol:

LOL!!!  For the amount of work/money I have put into that rear end (on the T/A), it better NOT do that!

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #660 on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Today I got to work at 3:45 am and will be here atleast until 10 pm or so...........
love doing inventory                :mad:
Thats after putting in 26 hrs in the past 2 days.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #661 on: October 30, 2015, 01:25:16 PM »
Because i) I needed tires ii) I'm still a kid @ heart & iii) I got a  good deal on CList, I had my daily driver all murdered out.
Went from a 235/55 on a 17x7 to a 245/45 on an 18x8.  Rim is a KMC Rockstar

Before

After

Have to do something to clean up the calipers
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

kali_74TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #662 on: October 30, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
nice CTS, i had one a while back and for the most part really really liked it (unfortunately i got a bad one so GM had to take it back after 3 years of me dealing with all the issues and the many many service visits)-----got most my $$ back and another good thing about the service visits, i drove pretty much all in their fleet, big baller style  :-D

rims look great, change the whole look of the car for the better ---- if i remember correctly my rims were called Helo

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
Yesterday I... ordered about $250 in parts for my DD.  Turns out that replacing just those two control arms broke everything else loose.  Sway bar links & bushings (front and rear), trailing arms and bushings, and oh yeah a stupid ABS sensor that I accidentally broke.

Should be fun when it all comes in.

Today I...  get to go to work for 7 hours to pay it all off...

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #664 on: November 01, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
Today...
I got another fender bolt out along with about 3 square feet of dirt and leaves from tge fender. Only one more remaining! The way the passenger side inner fender patch was cut makes me think the blower motor has been replaced at one point. I also noticed that once I scrapped off some of the grease on the subframe there was a layer of whitepaint so thats either factory overspray or its been taken down before and repainted.

1986 T-Top T/A:

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #665 on: November 01, 2015, 02:22:58 PM »
I measured my rear swaybar with a caliper.. I got a measurement of 17mm

Summit lists poly bushes in either 16mm or 18mm, now I am a bit unsure what to order  :shock:

Guess I might as well order the 16mm and if they are a bit too small I can run a drill through them..
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:03:57 AM by 77 Pontiac »

RGB500

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #666 on: November 02, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »
I took advantage of the Hotchkis 25% off sale last weekend and bought the TVS kit. So today I ordered the SFC's & solid body bushings from PTFB.  Next week I'll be ordering Fox shocks. let the games begin!

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #667 on: November 05, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Today I removed the battery tray, and cleaned up the battery tray area. Battery tray is toast but thats to be expected. I also cleaned up and painted some interior panels.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #668 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:04 AM »
Had someone offer a '72 C-30 just now.  I want to know why is it that some 98% of the people that've contacted me want to trade, and of those the majority have been trucks.  Which I already pulled the car from the front of the yard when someone decided to take out the mailbox the other morning, last thing I need is someone taking it out...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #669 on: November 06, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Had someone offer a '72 C-30 just now.  I want to know why is it that some 98% of the people that've contacted me want to trade, and of those the majority have been trucks.  Which I already pulled the car from the front of the yard when someone decided to take out the mailbox the other morning, last thing I need is someone taking it out...

I would trade my Camry for a 72 C-30 in a HEARTBEAT. 

Today I... spent the vast majority of the day working on my DD and my fathers DD.  If anyone here has ever attempted replacing a serpentine belt on a Chevy HHR... DON'T!  Changing that belt requires removal of the wiper fluid reservoir, a splash shield on the passenger side, and a friggin motor mount!  Not only that, I had to fabricate a tool disengage the tensioner pulley. 

Then came the semi-daunting task of tearing off ALL of the rear suspension on my stupid Camry.  Well, the point behind this is that I shouldn't have started so late in the day.  By 8 PM I was literally throwing wrenches at a wall in disgust and fatigue.

Blah!  Tomorrow is another day.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #670 on: November 06, 2015, 09:31:23 PM »
Mmmmm   today I don't know who depress me more......decaff  or box. .............
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #671 on: November 06, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
I'll trade and sell it to you then. :P

I just don't understand why they're all trucks though.  I had this same issue when selling the Celica, everyone and their aunt wanted to trade their truck for it and I even expressed what I would trade for that time.  It's like I'm living in some kind of truck Hell.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2015, 03:43:50 AM »
I'll trade and sell it to you then. :P

I just don't understand why they're all trucks though.  I had this same issue when selling the Celica, everyone and their aunt wanted to trade their truck for it and I even expressed what I would trade for that time.  It's like I'm living in some kind of truck Hell.
What did I miss? What happened to the 5-speed accord guy?

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #673 on: November 07, 2015, 06:06:03 AM »
I dunno, I didn't hear back from him until just today asking if I was still interested in trading.  I had figured he had changed his mind since the 27th had been the last I heard from him.  To make matters worse for both of us he offered to sell me the TH350 he was going to put into it if I decide I don't want to trade.  So now I have to decide on multiple things and let him know later.  The Accord isn't something I'd go out and buy, but it's the closest thing I've been offered.  At the same time I never put in the listing I'd trade and what for, so what if someone out there is like me and won't offer to trade unless it's stated but has something I'd really want.  Or do I buy the trans and replace it then keep the Firebird even though it's a long way from being a daily I can enjoy, i.e. the lack of A/C etc..

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #674 on: November 07, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
well. if the price of the th350 is right you could buy it and use the TA through the winter then sell next spring. I doubt you will really need AC anymore for at least a few months, and I think the car will sell easier in spring time with a working transmission...

Just my unsolicited 2 cents...

GL either way.
Todd

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #675 on: November 07, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
Yeah at the very least I was planning to get the transmission if the price is reasonable provided we don't trade, so far the ones I've found what they want for a used one is what it costs to exchange for a rebuilt transmission... :roll:  Though if at the end of the day I'm going to be selling either one the Accord will probably be easier and it won't require me changing out transmissions.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #676 on: November 07, 2015, 02:58:28 PM »
Today I went to see my 77 in restoration at the new shop. It had set waiting its turn since September 4th.  Suddenly, it is moving forward.  Pics and the entire story are here: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=56714.0

Should be a roller with paint by the end of November.  Engine and drive train by end of December.  Then interior done in January.  Delivery in February/March.  I'm less convinced, but that is what I heard today from the shop owner. 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #677 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
Sounds good Bruce, looking forward to your build thread as I stop on this thread first.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 Pontiac

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #678 on: November 07, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »
Just came in from the garage where I spun the rear cagenut in the driver side  :-x

I lubed that sucker for like 4 months on a regular basis, so I don't think the outcome could have been any different..

Do we have a thread with pictures of the cutting floorboard operation?

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #679 on: November 08, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Just came in from the garage. Pulled the valve covers and intake on the TATA today. And like I suspected coolant in the oil, milky sludge under the valve covers, but no sign of coolant in the cylinders. All spark plugs look great. What are the chances this was caused by a leaking intake gasket??
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

« Reply #679 on: November 08, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
You can help support TAC!