Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 697941 times)

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #560 on: October 10, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »
It turns out I simply didn't tighten the tank-to-bowl bolts enough....

Seems to be a rash of water-related issues flooding us, DeCaff2007.  On return from vacation got around to replacing two toilet valves that were leaking.  Two days later I got the 2x water bill.  Costly procrastination, so can't blame anyone but myself.  Then the battery on my back up sump died today.  The battery required water and it went dry twice in 2 months and testing showed it will not hold a charge.  The new battery is a marine, deep-cycle and does not require water, so the alarm keeps sounding on the unit to tell me to fill the water in the now sealed battery.  Not sure how the sensor works, so not sure if just cutting the sensor wire will fix it or not.  Maybe put the sensor in a sealed bottle of water to fool it.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #561 on: October 10, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »
Here's thinking if you Decaff, a few months ago I started seeing a small water spot at the side of our toilet. I kept putting it off thinking the seal had developed a leak and not wanting to take time to pull the toilet to fix the seal. While cleaning it one day I bumped the tank and the flood gates opened up. Both tank bolts had rusted all the way thru and the only thing holding it there was gravity. It was an easier fix than a wax ring though.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #562 on: October 10, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »
Here's thinking if you Decaff, a few months ago I started seeing a small water spot at the side of our toilet. I kept putting it off thinking the seal had developed a leak and not wanting to take time to pull the toilet to fix the seal. While cleaning it one day I bumped the tank and the flood gates opened up. Both tank bolts had rusted all the way thru and the only thing holding it there was gravity. It was an easier fix than a wax ring though.

Glad you got it fixed.  I'm DONE plumbing for awhile.  Electrical I don't so much mind.

Today I... decided to replace a control arm bushing on my Camry.  Had to remove the control arm to do this.  I came out like warm butter (helps that I knew what I was doing and have all the proper tools).  Even pressing the new bushing in was uneventful.  Then it came time to reinstall the control arm.  I ended up bashing my hand with a sledge hammer, burned my other hand with my welder, and stripped the threads on a very important bolt, as well.  I got in on the road but FML I'm sooooo tired of things going wrong!!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #563 on: October 11, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »
Replaced the rear quarter to top seal in my '02 TA vert.  I bought the Soft-Seal replacement and the part was substantially different from the original one.  I had to do a lot of trimming and reattaching the molding piece was difficult due to the increased thickness of the replacement.  Should've been an easy job but turned out to be a PITA.  Not sure why the replacement was so different.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

BlueByNight

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Today I finally got my most serious wiring issues sorted out and got the old 78' fired up (with the help of a buddy). I believe this car hasn't ran in ten years. Today was a great day  8-)

« Reply #564 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #565 on: October 11, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Today I finally got my most serious wiring issues sorted out and got the old 78' fired up (with the help of a buddy). I believe this car hasn't ran in ten years. Today was a great day  8-)

Well now I have to know, what was the wiring issue? 

Today I...  went work for 9 hours.  Yeah who does that on a Sunday? 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #566 on: October 11, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »

Is it just me, or is the PVC 90 sweep turned up instead of down, like the cast iron 90 is?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:58:55 PM by kentucky yeti »
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

BlueByNight

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #567 on: October 11, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
Decaf- I feel dumb but it was the alternator to starter wire and an additional smaller gage wire that were not connected properly to the starter... also the starter solenoid was bad. Fortunately I acquired a small hi Po starter with some headers I bought off Craigslist. We attached the proper connectors to the wires installed them to the new/used starter and life was good. There is still some work to do with the dash/gauge wiring but at least the car runs and lights function. Once I receive my new ignition lock I can get my steering wheel back on and take it for a test drive. So nice to finally moving forward...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #568 on: October 12, 2015, 05:44:17 AM »

Is it just me, or is the PVC 90 sweep turned up instead of down, like the cast iron 90 is?

Yeti, no matter what my crap pics look like, the PVC is a an exact repro of how the cast iron was.

Looking at the pics again, I see what you mean, though.  That PVC is a sanitary T, not a 90* sweep.

Decaf- I feel dumb but it was the alternator to starter wire and an additional smaller gage wire that were not connected properly to the starter... also the starter solenoid was bad. Fortunately I acquired a small hi Po starter with some headers I bought off Craigslist. We attached the proper connectors to the wires installed them to the new/used starter and life was good. There is still some work to do with the dash/gauge wiring but at least the car runs and lights function. Once I receive my new ignition lock I can get my steering wheel back on and take it for a test drive. So nice to finally moving forward...

Nothing to feel dumb about there.  I work with people that call themselves electronic technicians, yet many of them can't even solder.  You're doing fine, BlueByNight.  Glad you got it fixed.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #569 on: October 12, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
Apparently someone dropped by yesterday while my brother was outside working on his car and offered to sell me a Chevrolet TH350 for $75, but then he didn't think to get his name or number... :-?

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #570 on: October 13, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »
Today I....drove a turbocharged vehicle for the first time. Its an almost magical feeling When you feel the boost kick in and start to pull the vehicle from you.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #571 on: October 13, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
Today I....drove a turbocharged vehicle for the first time. Its an almost magical feeling When you feel the boost kick in and start to pull the vehicle from you.

Oh really?  The only turbo charged vehicle I ever drove was an 87 Dodge Shadow.  5-speed, 2.2L of complete GARBAGE!  I could have gone faster that that car on my pedal bike. 

Fast forward 15 years or so.  A co-worker of mine has a 97 Integra (claims it has dual turbo).  Uh huh...  I saw him drive by one day and it was blowing a solid stream of blue smoke out the exhaust and it sounded like a can of angry bees. 

Can you see why I'm so skeptical?

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #572 on: October 13, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
My brother had a volvo C70 convertible ('03 I think).  It was a turbo 5-cyliner with a 6M.  Redline was ~7k.  The manual said the turbo boost didn't kick-in until ~3k.  He drove very conservatively and typically shifted at 2.5 to 3k (no he never got any boost).  I had it for a couple days and You could definitely feel the boost taking it up to 5-6k before shifting.  It was quite exhilerating.

I laughed when he said he never really noticed any difference with the turbo.  I told him it was because he never really engaged it.  :-D
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #573 on: October 13, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
Oh really?  The only turbo charged vehicle I ever drove was an 87 Dodge Shadow.  5-speed, 2.2L of complete GARBAGE!  I could have gone faster that that car on my pedal bike. 

Fast forward 15 years or so.  A co-worker of mine has a 97 Integra (claims it has dual turbo).  Uh huh...  I saw him drive by one day and it was blowing a solid stream of blue smoke out the exhaust and it sounded like a can of angry bees. 

That's because one was a piece of crap and the other was full of it. :lol:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #574 on: October 14, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »

My sisters 2014 LTZ Cruze, not sure of C.I.D. but its a turbo Ecotec. I felt boost start pulling at roughly 2,500 RPM to 3,000.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:55:25 AM by 77 TA man »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

« Reply #574 on: October 14, 2015, 04:52:56 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #575 on: October 14, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »

That's because one was a piece of crap and the other was full of it. :lol:

LOL true that!  That car was the single biggest POS I've ever bought.  The ONLY reason I bought it in the first place was because it was a 5-speed.  I wanted to learn how to drive a stick so that was it.

Today I...  got up @ 4:30 and actually managed to get a workout in.  First time in about 3 solid months I've time to do that.  Granted, by the time I'm done at job #2 tonight around 10:15, I'm going to DRAGGING ass, but hey it's money.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #576 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:45 PM »
Should've gotten a Celica All-Trac, 2L of turbocharged AWD goodness. :cool:

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #577 on: October 14, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
Should've gotten a Celica All-Trac, 2L of turbocharged AWD goodness. :cool:
The Cruzes I've driven all handle so freakin nice. Absolutely no play in the steering, and its really quiet. Going 60mph+ in a 45mph zone is no problem if your not paying attention or even if you are. I've been able to pull off 90 degree turns going 25mph+ which I'd never dream of doing in one of our silverados.
If I ever buy a family car, it'd be a Cruze. The driving school I went to used a Cruze with the naturally aspirated Ecotec and that thing was a screamer for what it is.

1986 T-Top T/A:

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #578 on: October 15, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
The Cruzes I've driven all handle so freakin nice. Absolutely no play in the steering, and its really quiet. Going 60mph+ in a 45mph zone is no problem if your not paying attention or even if you are. I've been able to pull off 90 degree turns going 25mph+ which I'd never dream of doing in one of our silverados.
If I ever buy a family car, it'd be a Cruze. The driving school I went to used a Cruze with the naturally aspirated Ecotec and that thing was a screamer for what it is.

The smoothness of a new car can't be compared to the old stuff.  My everyday car is a '10 CTS with AWD.  Even with the base engine 3.0 270HP it is spirited and it is the best handling & best brakes I've ever had.  TA WS6 included.   
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #579 on: October 15, 2015, 01:17:13 PM »
I agree droptopron...........I bought my wife a 2012 BMW 328i.........and that thing handles like
nothing I have ever driven.  It is alot of fun to drive, even with the straight 6.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #580 on: October 15, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »
It's amazing what independent rear suspension does over truck, I mean solid, rear suspension. :P  I like inline 6's, shame only BMW has kept making them.  The Supra and the Datsun Z cars were I6 and they're some of my favourite cars.  I like V8's the most though, not so much from any performance perspective but just for the exhaust note.  That's why I like the LT1 more than the LS1, the LT1 has the old firing order which just sounds better.  Yup, that's what really matters. :P

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #581 on: October 16, 2015, 05:50:48 AM »
Last night I...  Oh man, was I ever busy.  got up @ 5 am (this is typical), took the woman to the airport, got home, did a workout, bought some POR-15 and found a tap to fix a control arm mount on my Camry.  It was already 1pm by this time.

Then, I had to remove the axle to fix said control arm mount...  it was  PAIN IN THE ASS getting that axle back in!  Then I got called into work!

Blaahhh!!!!

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #582 on: October 18, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »
Okay, Box started this thread under the following premise: More or less it's a thread for posting things you did to or for your car.

Well, I'm not sure this fits unless it includes rubbing some tread off the tires on my 98 :lol:  Tried the Indy SCCA event at the former Grissom Air Force base today, north of Indianapolis with another TAC member that is very experienced in this event. Basically, it is autocross and it was the 1st time trying anything like it, so a bit intimidating, I guess. Not easy to get through the course as a newbie. Even with the expert as my navigator, so many cones and at speed, just a blur of confusing orange as to which way to go. I got it sideways and missed a few gates, but at least did not spin out.  Lots of practice necessary to know the course layout, especially with no map. Then the whole thing of when to brake and not brake, when to floor it and when to ease back. I rode a couple of times with the expert in his very non-stock 77 TA and I'm not sure I even breathed through the course, pinned against the seat. I might try it again, but at least I'll know what to expect next time.

critter

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org
« Reply #583 on: October 18, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »
Cut the rear glass loose. Piano wire is your friend.

Been there, done that, t-shirt is now a shop rag.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #584 on: October 18, 2015, 08:35:22 PM »
Well today I cleaned out the interior(again) on my '77.  Crap was just piling up in it, new parts and such for the 400, random bolts that I think are probably important just thrown on the dash or in one of the numerous coffee cans in the trunk. Gathered up all the trim and the shaker and put it in the trunk. Missing the tailight bolts but I believe those are scattered in the trunk.  I measured the floorpan and the new toepanel will cover what I need on both sides. We have primer that I'll use so I just need some body filler and carpet to get the body presentable. Since I'm not concerned with using a center console at the moment, do you guys think an early 3rd gen auto shifter assembly would work with a 700R4 in a second gen or would I have to move the hole where the linkage goes?

1986 T-Top T/A:

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #585 on: October 18, 2015, 10:13:52 PM »
Cut the rear glass loose. Piano wire is your friend.

Done it few times, you need help (2 person job 1-inside the car and 1-outside) also wrap the wire onto a stick or similar to help in pulling without cutting your hands.

Regards, Jack

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #586 on: October 19, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »
Wasn't today, but sometime over last weekend I...  snapped a sway bar link mounting bracket bolt off inside the frame  :shock:  :shock:... on my Camry.  Have to drop the subframe to fix it.  FML!  Also, I put on a new power steering belt.  That fixed the problem with the steering binding up.  I also finally figured out why the whole car handles like CRAP.  Every bushing and link in the rear suspension is dry rot and/or broken.  Had to order a whole bunch of crap off Rock Auto... and then they send me an email telling me their inventory levels are wrong, and that I had to redo my order.  I'm getting sick of this car and really wish I could either just get an old pickup or even go back to driving a Saturn.

Other than that, just been at work a lot and have had little time for anything else.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #587 on: October 19, 2015, 10:31:41 AM »
Wasn't today, but sometime over last weekend I...  snapped a sway bar link mounting bracket bolt off inside the frame  :shock:  :shock:... on my Camry.  Have to drop the subframe to fix it.  FML!  Also, I put on a new power steering belt.  That fixed the problem with the steering binding up.  I also finally figured out why the whole car handles like CRAP.  Every bushing and link in the rear suspension is dry rot and/or broken.  Had to order a whole bunch of crap off Rock Auto... and then they send me an email telling me their inventory levels are wrong, and that I had to redo my order.  I'm getting sick of this car and really wish I could either just get an old pickup or even go back to driving a Saturn.

Other than that, just been at work a lot and have had little time for anything else.
That Camry has been giving you a lot of problems , and I dont know you situation but is it worth it to you to fix it? I mean a Camry isnt exactly rare or anything....

1986 T-Top T/A:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #588 on: October 19, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

That Camry has been giving you a lot of problems , and I dont know you situation but is it worth it to you to fix it? I mean a Camry isnt exactly rare or anything....

1.  I'm in the rust of rust belts.  NEPA, so of course it's going to give me problems. 
2.  It has 268K+ miles and the previous owner did ZERO maintenance.
3.  It was free, and required a mere $30 part to get it running.
4.  I don't exactly drive like Miss Daisy.  Drive it like you stole it or get the Hell off the road!  That alone  can account for half of the problems.
5.  I can't afford new, overpriced parts, so j/y parts it is.  We all know how long they can last.... or not.
6.  Last but not least, it's my ONLY vehicle and I cannot afford another one.

So your answer is yes, it's worth it to fix it because I have no other choice.  That doesn't change the fact that I'm getting sick of it, though.

LoL anyone have a Chevy pickup they want gone for cheap?

Dreamn2

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #589 on: October 19, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »
Today I.....Drove it to work!

Friday I.....Drove it to work!

:D :D
79 Fire Am
76 Fire Am
79 W72 Formula

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #590 on: October 19, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
Nice Dreamn!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #591 on: October 19, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
I drove mine to work twice this year, I park in an underground garage in a high rise with tight entrances and spots... it takes me 10 minutes just to park it.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #592 on: October 20, 2015, 05:44:50 AM »
I drove mine to work twice this year, I park in an underground garage in a high rise with tight entrances and spots... it takes me 10 minutes just to park it.
Cant you just valet, (ferris bueller style :eek:)
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #593 on: October 20, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
....watched the new Star Wars trailer 3 times.  I can't wait to see this one. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE</a>

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #594 on: October 20, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
Had someone offer me a 2007 Honda CBR600RR.  Between that and shakerz' 2006 Harley Fatboy it's a shame I can't ride a bike at all.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #595 on: October 20, 2015, 11:42:13 AM »
Today I... fought with an alternator belt for an hour.  Got it on though.  No more squealing from the engine bay.  Also, replaced the tie rod ends (under warranty).  I'm patiently awaiting my rear control arms, and my handling problems will be 75% solved  :grin:

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #596 on: October 20, 2015, 12:17:04 PM »
Had someone offer me a 2007 Honda CBR600RR.  Between that and shakerz' 2006 Harley Fatboy it's a shame I can't ride a bike at all.

As trade offers come your way, think about if the vehicle you'd be getting is an easier flip.  Remember, you don't have to marry it. 
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

Raptor

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #597 on: October 20, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
I started my red '79 Mustang  for the first time since July after a lot of work was done to it : floor pan repairs, interior restoration, front brakes rebuild, some parts replaced on the engine (mainly ignition). It doesn't run all that well and won't hold idle for long, but hey before I bought it last June, it had sat for over 20 years. i didn't touch anything to the engine yet besides replacing spark plugs, wires, distributor cover and rotor, head cover gasket, air and fuel filters, the basic stuff. But I need to move it because there will be some work done where she's been sitting for a three months.

I moved the white one as well, put a battery in and in fired right up. Gonna have to push the Vaquero Gold one though, to get it out of the way.
Fran├žois Martinez (from France)
- 1974 Firebird Formula 400
- 1984 Firebird Trans Am HO - L69 - T5 - W62

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #598 on: October 20, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »
Today (really yesterday)
while touring a friends engine shop I saw a Ford Aftermarket performance engine block, that he said was stroked out to 590 C.I.D! I put my hand into a fist and put it in a cylinder and the cylinder wall wasnt even close to touching my hand! Just massive bores on that thing.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #599 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »

As trade offers come your way, think about if the vehicle you'd be getting is an easier flip.  Remember, you don't have to marry it.
If I knew how to ride a bike I'd go for it, but besides on what to do in theory I'd end up killing myself.  If I'm going to trade it'll be for something I'd buy and keep, trying to turn around and sell something I know nothing about and most likely despise can't be any easier.  "Ye, it's a lame Accord sedan I took in on a trade.  It runs, being you're looking at an Accord that's all that should matter right because that's all I know."  See, just a terrible idea.

« Reply #599 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
You can help support TAC!