Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 748149 times)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2015, 04:04:03 AM »
Box, so I assume its the same guy that's in your avatar?
I wished it was Ian McKellen that was stopping by to buy my car.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to have a flare, everything was burning intensely and my arms and legs even swelled up and turned red...  Those are the days I feel like dying...  Took over twelve hours to get back to what I consider somewhat normal, I just had to lay down and do nothing.  On a positive note I was able to catch some sleep for once.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »
A day behind, but last night I finished the ductwork, got my dash installed and installed my Beautiful Gold dash bezel restored by Randy Combs. Windshield and back glass are scheduled for tuesday
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #362 on: September 08, 2015, 07:37:58 AM »
Yesterday I...  was so frikken busy that I didn't even have a chance to post anything!  Got up @ 8am, start sandblasting... and only got my manifolds done.  Would have gotten more done by my air compressor started missing.  How the Hell does an electric motor have a miss?  Turns out it needed a new air filter and an oil change. 

Ok so now half the day was shot already.  Then I threw an oil change into my Camry, replaced the battery terminal connectors (that turned into another project!), cleaned up the garage a bit, and then I saw my neighbor trimming some shrubs.  That reminded me I had to do the same to the pine trees in my hard.  That leg to a $140 trip to Lowes for an electric pole saw.  Even with the right tool, OMG what a job that was!

THEN, my father shows up and says his HHR needs an oil change.  Ok so that's my second trip to Auto Zone.... 

Grrrr... well now it's getting dark and POOF!  My porch light decided to blow one of the 100W halogen bulbs.  Back to Lowes!@$#%. 

Finally got that done and the woman says the burgers are ready.  I take one bite and they are pink and bloody in the middle.  Double GRRRRR!!!

At that point I said EFF THIS and went to bed! 
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #363 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:09 AM »
DeCaff.............your gonna have a heart attack!!!   lol
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
Yesterday I...  was so frikken busy that I didn't even have a chance to post anything!  Got up @ 8am, start sandblasting... and only got my manifolds done.  Would have gotten more done by my air compressor started missing.  How the Hell does an electric motor have a miss?  Turns out it needed a new air filter and an oil change. 

Ok so now half the day was shot already.  Then I threw an oil change into my Camry, replaced the battery terminal connectors (that turned into another project!), cleaned up the garage a bit, and then I saw my neighbor trimming some shrubs.  That reminded me I had to do the same to the pine trees in my hard.  That leg to a $140 trip to Lowes for an electric pole saw.  Even with the right tool, OMG what a job that was!

THEN, my father shows up and says his HHR needs an oil change.  Ok so that's my second trip to Auto Zone.... 

Grrrr... well now it's getting dark and POOF!  My porch light decided to blow one of the 100W halogen bulbs.  Back to Lowes!@$#%. 

Finally got that done and the woman says the burgers are ready.  I take one bite and they are pink and bloody in the middle.  Double GRRRRR!!!

At that point I said EFF THIS and went to bed!

Read what DeCaff did yesterday.  Got tired and called it a day!  lol...
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #365 on: September 08, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
Just read my previous post again.  I knew I was getting a migraine and wow...  all the spelling errors prove it. 

LoL so today I... (am having) a migraine that may force me home early from work.  I really hate that.

PARTSMAN76:  Both of my paternal grandparents died of heart attacks, and my father has already had a heart stent (he did have a stroke, though).  I've been tested again and again and again...  I have a perfectly healthy heart, I eat right, and I keep in shape.  Maybe it skipped me?

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
I'm taking the 82 jeep for its first smog test with the CARB approved fuel injection and header. I hope they don't hassle me or refuse to smog it.
Fingers crossed for nice smog natzi's!!!

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
Yesterday........me and a friend took our TA's on a road trip.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2015, 12:57:38 PM »
Y'day - of all the jobs I have to do around the house, my wife picks paint the garage floor.  Besides the car there is a bunch of other shyt in there.  Emptied it, shop vacced it, scrubbed the floors with concrete cleaner, shop vacced it again, let it dry & painted it.  I didn't have time for a 2-pt epoxy so used a Behr concrete paint that's rated for garage floors.  IDK how durable it will be but it laid down pretty nice with a roller but there were a lot of spots I had to do with a brush. 

Finished product - house was built in 1954 and floor was bare concrete

Also found these, which came off the TA when I bought it.  Why do I save this stuff?

Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »
Because they are Limited.  Sorry, someone had to say it.   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:04:16 AM by mrbandit »

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
I'm taking the 82 jeep for its first smog test with the CARB approved fuel injection and header. I hope they don't hassle me or refuse to smog it.
Fingers crossed for nice smog natzi's!!!

Tom H

As I suspected smog didn't go well as the guy didn't know what to do with the removed parts list. I think you would put N/A for smog pump and heat rise tube etc. he recommended the referee so I sat on hold for 35 minutes to have them say "you have to be tested and fail before you can go to the referee" So I will try again tomorrow at a different station.

Tom H

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
I will try again tomorrow at a different station

Not sure where you are but in most places the computer shows you've already tried and failed so multiple attempts don't really help because if one place fails you and another passes you the second place has to have clear records of you passing "fair and square" to protect themselves.....  In other words the second guys looks at you harder than the first.... my experience anyway.  Best of luck.
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2015, 10:51:48 PM »
Today I finished doing a complete wiring and electrical job on a 1937 Hudson Super 8. Although it wasn't a Trans Am, a complete wire and electrical install was a great experience. I used a Painless Wiring kit which worked quite well. The original wiring and installation was an absolute nightmare. However everything worked excellent, and I was happy to have it all done. It took longer than anticipated (about 30 hours or so). Good thing is the experience and understanding of automotive electrical that gained.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #373 on: September 09, 2015, 04:26:03 AM »
Today I paid a deposit for a 10 x 9 metre garage to hide my toys....
Well at least 3 of them..... :D :D :D

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:30 AM »
So roughly 33x29 feet in American, should be able to squeeze in 8 decently sized cars back to back and side to side.  Never said anything about getting them in and out. :P

« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:30 AM »

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »

Not sure where you are but in most places the computer shows you've already tried and failed so multiple attempts don't really help because if one place fails you and another passes you the second place has to have clear records of you passing "fair and square" to protect themselves.....  In other words the second guys looks at you harder than the first.... my experience anyway.  Best of luck.

He never tested it, he stopped at the visual because he didn't know what to put for the heat rise tube since the EFI removes the complete air cleaner assembly and has an open air cleaner. When I called the referee to make an appointment they ran the plate and had nothing to reference for the test. So the next place either passes it or fails it so I can move on. What kills me is I upgraded to CARB legal EFI to make it better but still have to fight because they don't have clear guidance on how to test it.

Tom H

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »
I am so glad we do not have inspections here.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2015, 12:17:17 PM »

He never tested it, he stopped at the visual because he didn't know what to put for the heat rise tube since the EFI removes the complete air cleaner assembly and has an open air cleaner. When I called the referee to make an appointment they ran the plate and had nothing to reference for the test. So the next place either passes it or fails it so I can move on. What kills me is I upgraded to CARB legal EFI to make it better but still have to fight because they don't have clear guidance on how to test it.

Tom H

OMG dude seriously just find a lick-n-stick place and be done with it.

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »
Post 1995 won't let you do that Decaff, at least around here in NC.  I would think everywhere is pretty much the same.  You are permitted one code, but that is it. 

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
Finally! Got my windshield and back glass installed. He was supposed to do it yesterday but I wasn't quite ready. Two guys, very professional and did a nice quick job. They even attempted to do the mouldings but the clips I had were junk so I ordered new ones. The guy goes by my house often and said he will stop back and do the trim when I get the new clips. I got his name from my glass guy (who doesn't do car windows anymore), and small world, the guy lived 2 houses down from me when we were kids. He moved away when I was still very young and I didn't know him but he knew my older siblings. My dad built the house he lived in!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »
Move to glorious Alabama where all you have to do is have proof of insurance and throw money at them once a year for a tag sticker and they don't care in what shape your car is.

So, I'm contemplating just buying a used TH350 and have it installed by my brother and I.  Visited my father this past weekend for Labour Day and he's the manager of the service department at the dealership my brother also works at, and he said I could use the shop one Saturday to replace the transmission.  So it's just a matter of finding a good used transmission and a way of getting it there since it's about 25 miles away.  Brother has a '00 Durango 5.9 4x4, so have something to tow it just need a dolly or trailer.  I'd imagine should be able to get the borked one out and the hopefully not borked one in within a few hours having a lift and transmission jack.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Well just had someone drop by and showed them the car, he took my name and number so I dunno. Most promising so far since he actually came to the door and wanted to look it over better. Apparently he has a friend with a shop so I guess we'll see.

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Well I got past the visual but failed anyway, looks like the EGR is not working correctly and possibly the cat has an issue. This guy did exactly what I thought he should, answered the questions EFI (yes) carb (no) Cat (yes) smog pump (no) heat rise switch (no) check engine light (yes) MAP (yes) EGR (yes) Thermal switch (yes) Charcoal can (yes) O2 sensor (yes).............PASS!!!!! run the test FAIL!!! I happy I got this far.

Tom H

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
Today I... came home from work and saw this monster on my garage door!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »
I would've set the front of the house on fire at that point.  I HATE bugs and especially spiders...  Oddly enough snakes and sharks don't phase me, go figure.  Well I take that back, some bugs I'm ok with like butterflies and moths and caterpillars.  Wooly aphids and inch worms make my day.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2015, 06:11:11 PM »
I would've set the front of the house on fire at that point.  I HATE bugs and especially spiders...  Oddly enough snakes and sharks don't phase me, go figure.  Well I take that back, some bugs I'm ok with like butterflies and moths and caterpillars.  Wooly aphids and inch worms make my day.

LMAO!!!!!  Now that made me laugh pretty hard!  We have something in common, Box.  Spiders are, bottom line, the thing I fear the most.  The doorknob in the background makes that monstrosity seem larger than it actually is, but.. still dam scary!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2015, 12:51:04 AM »
What's really bad is the huntsman spider in Australia...  Never going to Australia for that reason alone.

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
Yesterday........me and a friend took our TA's on a road trip.

Nice!  That's an @#$%ing cool pic!  :cool:

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2015, 02:53:16 PM »
Thanks Mumbles.....thats the wifes handy work
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
Yes, that is a really neat pic. I like the structure of the bridge as well, where is it located? Looks like something around Wheeling WVA.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »
That is going from Perryville MO to Chester IL over the mighty Mississippi
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

JT Firebird 79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
Yes, that is a really neat pic. I like the structure of the bridge as well, where is it located? Looks like something around Wheeling WVA.

I grew up 20 minutes from Wheeling. Claysville, PA. I miss all the bridges of that area. They make for really cool photos. RoadKing77, are you in that area?
-Jay   Hartland, MI    '79 Firebird Esprit,  301, 3spd Auto,  54xxx miles, All original

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin and Hobbes

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »

I grew up 20 minutes from Wheeling. Claysville, PA. I miss all the bridges of that area. They make for really cool photos. RoadKing77, are you in that area?
No I am in the extreme North Eastern part of Maryland. 2 mi. south of PA and 6mi west of DE. I have travelled just about everywhere east (and parts of the southwest) of the Mississippi on my motorcycle. That bridge reminded me of the Wheeling area.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2015, 08:19:39 AM »
Started the search for a used Chevrolet TH350, so I guess it's a matter if I sell it first or find one and fix it and then keep it.  Though if I keep it there's so many things I need to do before I'm comfortable driving it for long distances, physically and mentally.  For one I need seats with recline and some side support, the stock seats are horrendous.  Also need to at least get the blower motor replaced so I have heat and can bring in outside air which is better than nothing.  I'd also like to improve the crash safety somehow since it's my daily driver, I won't do anything to warrant it but you never know with everyone else out on the road.  I refuse to take it onto the interstate for that reason, which I'm just not a fan of the interstate regardless of what I'm in but being in something with late 70's crash safety technology I really don't want to take it beyond 50 mph.  Would want to do a disc conversion on the rear along with Hydroboost.  Would also want to upgrade the suspension and put on 17's with modern high performance tires.  Eventually a manual conversion with a hydraulic clutch would be in order, and then fuel injection.

Maybe I am better off selling it after all...

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2015, 11:11:38 AM »
Box.....search car-part.com
That is a national salavge locator.
You can get some 4th gen seats and a used th350 on there.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #395 on: September 11, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
Seats I don't mind buying from a junkyard, as what you see is what you get.  Not so much with a transmission, for all I know the trans is the reason the car was junked and that'd be my luck.  I found someone on eBay with good feedback that sells rebuilt TH350's for $450 and a core, but they're in Rogersville, Tennessee.  I honestly wouldn't have the slightest idea on who to use locally, all I know is that there's at least one rebuilder out there that doesn't know what they're doing and with my luck I'd end up going to the one that did the one sitting in the car now.  I've tried getting in touch with the previous owner to find out who he got it from as I can't recall who he said, but that's been a dead end.  Then again there's no telling with a used auto transmission either, even if you get to test drive it.  That's part of my reason for hating automatics, one minute they appear fine and then they're dying or dead the next.

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #396 on: September 11, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
I wonder what it cost to ship a trans...........i have a local guy here in IL that did
mine for $400.00.  That was new sprag, friction and plates, a 2000 rpm stall, and shift kit.
I refer all of my customers to him.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #397 on: September 11, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
It'd have to be shipped through UPS or FedEX at the least, if not freight.  I think a TH350 is around 130 or so pounds dry.  Plus I only get one day to do it using the shop, so I'll need the transmission with me when I go to do it.  I'm not wanting to spend a lot on another TH350 that I'll ultimately want to replace, it'd be different if that's what I wanted.

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #398 on: September 11, 2015, 01:36:40 PM »
It'd have to be shipped through UPS or FedEX at the least, if not freight.  I think a TH350 is around 130 or so pounds dry.  Plus I only get one day to do it using the shop, so I'll need the transmission with me when I go to do it.  I'm not wanting to spend a lot on another TH350 that I'll ultimately want to replace, it'd be different if that's what I wanted.

X2.  Had my motor shipped via UPS freight.  I think they could beat $400.
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
$400.00 was the total price for the rebuild.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

« Reply #399 on: September 11, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
You can help support TAC!