Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 737568 times)

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2015, 06:53:52 AM »
... and there's nowhere safe to do the work here anyway.

What exactly do you mean by that?  Bullets flying overhead or just no sidewalk to pull up on?

That, and I had to google fybromyalgia.  I'm really sorry to hear that and for what it's worth, I do hope you feel better. 

On the flip side, you are not the only one with medical problem plaguing your life.  Google "aural migraine".... no better yet:  youtube it.  Someone managed to make a video that's about 99% accurate of what goes on during a migraine.  Scary and painful stuff. 

So, Today I woke up at 5:38 am.  I'm used to being out the door by 5:45, to get to work.   :shock:  :lol:  :shock:  :lol:  Hehehehe it's going to be an interesting day.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Ben

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2015, 07:01:20 AM »
Straight up what would everyone pay for my car?
Straight up, no bs answer: it's a $750-1500 car. Bad transmission coupled with an Esprit low option car just does not make for a desired combo. The engine being worth $XX doesn't count because it doesn't drive due to aforementioned transmission problems. Not to mention no matter how many receipts you have for an engine, you'd be hard pressed to sell it for 1/2 what it costs unless we're talking very high end big name players in the engine building world (a Butler 461 stroker set up for boost & racing with time slips showing how fast it was will sell for much more than the local machine shop rebuilt 350).  Absolutely none of this is fair, but it's reality. A friend of mine was in your shoes. She had a beautiful 1974 full size Buick with 455 that she needed some engine work due to being tired & having oil leaks. The shop talked her into a full rebuild for $5800.  It ran great for 6 months until her dingbat husband blew the transmission. She tried to sell it for close to what it cost in the engine rebuild and absolutely no one would buy it. It's still sitting in a field rotting away after 10+ years because she wouldn't accept a low price and no one wants to pay running car prices for a non-running car, even with receipts.

I'm sorry, I'm just so tired of everything.  I'm tired of feeling like I'm being steamrolled every day 24/7 and I'm tired of not being able to sleep, I'm tired of the fact at 23 my life is over.  It's just for once I'd like something to halfway work out.
I have an endocrine disorder and have very little to any muscle mass and can't build upper body strength, so lifting things heavier than 25-30lbs is just something I can't easily do nor can I easily tighten/loosen bolts, move heavy things around, grip tools, etc. Coupled with a bad back and bad knee, doing serious car work is extremely difficult. I've had to learn my limits and plot every job out in excruciating detail before hand. I've learned the motto of "work smarter, not harder" to get anything done. Never brute force anything as I can't.  I'm slower but I still get it done. I've had my problems since 12 & the bad joints since 19.  Your life isn't over, it sure as hell may suck more than some other guys here, but you can choose to learn to live within your limitations like I did.  You're smart & resourceful, I know you can do it.

I like to joke that I got to be an old fogey at 20 so 50 won't be so hard on me as I'll have been there most of my life already ;-)
Trans Am-less at the moment...

Home of the Mess

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2015, 08:16:46 AM »
Well Box, I wish you were closer to Illinois.
Because I would be more than happy to help out a person in need.
I can not believe there is no person on this forum that is not within driving
distance of you and willing to help out.
I hope someone steps up.............we "ALL" need a little help now and then.
I wish you the best of luck, you have always been quick to offer information to me on here.
Thank you
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
Well Box, I wish you were closer to Illinois.
Because I would be more than happy to help out a person in need.
I can not believe there is no person on this forum that is not within driving
distance of you and willing to help out.
I hope someone steps up.............we "ALL" need a little help now and then.
I wish you the best of luck, you have always been quick to offer information to me on here.
Thank you

Same here.  I'd help out in 2 second if I were closer.  I'm in NE PA though so that's not exactly a drive around the block.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about your health, but since you asked I'm with Ben on this one... I say $1500 tops, different story if it was a TA or earlier year car.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Sorry to hear about your health, but since you asked I'm with Ben on this one... I say $1500 tops, different story if it was a TA or earlier year car.
IMO 2K max since the body its self is clean. 2k for a good body is decent, 5K-7K around here gets you a painted, Running, driving late 2nd gen.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #286 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
IMO 2K max since the body its self is clean. 2k for a good body is decent, 5K-7K around here gets you a painted, Running, driving late 2nd gen.

Yes if it had TA fenders and flares.

Regards, Jack

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #287 on: August 28, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

Yes if it had TA fenders and flares.
yeah, I should've said late 2nd gen T/A. 10K gets you a clean '70-'73 455 Trans Am here too.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:57 AM »
Box, sorry for your plight. nobody should have to deal with this shyt but unfortunately you can't change it.  Isn't your brother some sort of mechanic?  See if he can help you out?  Only a special car will get any sort of real $$ if it has to be taken away on a trailer. 
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

Dreamn2

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #289 on: August 28, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
Drove to the TA NATS :-P
79 Fire Am
76 Fire Am
1972 Formula 400

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #290 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
Drove to the TA NATS :-P
Worked at TA nats
;)

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #291 on: August 28, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I guess I'm just better off parting it out then somehow...  By meaning having nowhere safe to work on it there's nothing but dirt and grass to lift the car up on.  I have jackstands but the car still sinks them with the ground dry, changing the filter and oil was bad enough and it's not worth risking serious injury or death to fix it.  I used to do all the mechanic work before fibro ruined everything, I can still do things that aren't overly strenuous but I still end up paying for it in some shape or fashion.  I just can't afford to lose over half on it, so I don't know what to do, I just wish I had never bought it at this point.  Actually I wish the trans rebuilder knew what they were doing, but oh well...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #292 on: August 28, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I guess I'm just better off parting it out then somehow...  By meaning having nowhere safe to work on it there's nothing but dirt and grass to lift the car up on.  I have jackstands but the car still sinks them with the ground dry, changing the filter and oil was bad enough and it's not worth risking serious injury or death to fix it.  I used to do all the mechanic work before fibro ruined everything, I can still do things that aren't overly strenuous but I still end up paying for it in some shape or fashion.  I just can't afford to lose over half on it, so I don't know what to do, I just wish I had never bought it at this point.  Actually I wish the trans rebuilder knew what they were doing, but oh well...

Put 3/4" plywood under the jack stands.  Works every time.   Pulled a few engines that way, did 3 clutches that way, did many, MANY brake jobs that way... also started the T/A resto that way.  I eventually got sick of using plywood, learned to weld, and welded 1/4" steel plates under my jack stands.  Worked nicely.  LoL then I bought a house with a garage.  6 of one, half dozen of another.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #293 on: August 28, 2015, 06:33:51 PM »
That'd be one option, but then it's up to having my brother be nice enough to do pretty much all of it.  Also with the migraine thing, my mom gets them all of the time on top of having the fibro and I realize others have it worse like those with cancer and have loss of limbs physically or neurologically.  I guess it'd just be less infuriating if any of the of the medicines actually helped, I've been on everything there is for it and I only get the negative side effects.  Pain killers that'd knock normal people onto their ass are useless to me(and my mom and grandfather, yay genetics) as I might as well just drink a glass of water, and only muscle relaxers somewhat help every now and then.  I wanted to be a technician but fibro ruined that for me, no one will hire me now because not even I know when I'll be able to halfway get around one day or be motionless in one spot the next.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »
, no one will hire me now because not even I know when I'll be able to halfway get around one day or be motionless in one spot the next.

That's more than double of what the people where I work do (http://www.tobyhanna.army.mil/).  Technician eh? What sort? 

« Reply #294 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #295 on: August 29, 2015, 12:05:50 AM »
I wanted to be an ASE Master Technician for Toyota or Chevrolet, or any of the other brands I particularly like.  When I was knee high I wanted to be a mechanical engineer, but my AP Calculus teacher kind of ruined that for me.  The teacher that took her place during maternity leave was 1,000 times the teacher she was and I got back into liking math, but as soon as she came back for the rest of the year she made me not want to look at the stuff ever again.

I moved the car to the front of the yard earlier and threw a For Sale sign in the window, as many people as I had stopping and asking about it when I first got it surely someone will want it enough to where I can at least buy another car.  The thing to do would be to sell the engine to a Chevy guy or someone wanting a circle track motor and then sell the car as a complete solid roller for them to do whatever they want to with it.  I just so happened to make the grievous mistake in assuming a nice Firebird would be worth more than a burnt out Trans Am and that a built to the hilt 350 would be worth more than a worn out dog of a 301.  That and it was a good idea to be my only car and trust a freshly rebuilt automatic.  Funny thing it was supposed to be a compromise to giving up driving a manual because of the fibro, and this crap happens.  At least it was a car I'd always wanted and that'd make up for having to drive an automatic, so it not being a T/A etc... didn't matter as I planned on never getting rid of it...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:33:32 AM by Box »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #296 on: August 29, 2015, 08:53:57 AM »
...went thru the Chick-fil-a drive thru this morning for breakfast only to find out the car in front of me paid for my breakfast.   :D

I had this happen to me a while ago at a Micky D's, was totally surprised! we stopped and ordered a happy meal for our grandson, I joked to the guy at the register if I had known I wasn't paying I would've ordered more.  :lol:
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #297 on: August 29, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
Picked up front window trim, power window harness, passenger side sill plate, and a NOS ratchet shifter knob with perfect bird today at nats. Anybody else see the silver GTR in Roadhouse's parking lot?

1986 T-Top T/A:

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
« Reply #298 on: August 29, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
Finished my restoration projects for this year...

transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=68069.new#new

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #299 on: August 29, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »

Congrats Rich, that deserves a celebration :grin: I finally started to put my dash back together, I bought new bulbs at 2 diff times for the gauge cluster. When I went to install them I realized I got 2 diff kinds. Need to go back to autozone tomorrow. I did get my parking brake cable installed inside the car.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2015, 07:12:48 PM »
Put about 50 miles on the TA and I think I've got the bugs worked out.  The whine was just a loose belt and the heating issue turned out to be a leaky radiator hose.  Oh and a vacuum leak.  It won't win many drag races, but it'll shred the tires.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2015, 07:13:31 PM »
Today I went to job #2 and OMG the day FLEW by!  Tomorrow I'll be doing something super cool!  I'll post pics/vid soon as I can.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Our Business
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »

Congrats Rich, that deserves a celebration :grin: I finally started to put my dash back together, I bought new bulbs at 2 diff times for the gauge cluster. When I went to install them I realized I got 2 diff kinds. Need to go back to autozone tomorrow. I did get my parking brake cable installed inside the car.

I had the bulb go out that shines on the gas/electrical gauges, looks like I'm not quite done :(

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Our Business
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »
Put about 50 miles on the TA and I think I've got the bugs worked out.  The whine was just a loose belt and the heating issue turned out to be a leaky radiator hose.  Oh and a vacuum leak.  It won't win many drag races, but it'll shred the tires.

Shredding .... :D

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »
Took a ride to the bank on state highways in brother's '12 Genesis Coupe, it hurt.  Not really any worse than my Celica, better than the Miata was, and oddly not as good as the Firebird.  I want a '68 Coupe DeVille, 129.5" of luxurious wheelbase to navigate through these rough waters...  I mean roads...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2015, 06:33:55 AM »
Took a ride to the bank on state highways in brother's '12 Genesis Coupe, it hurt.  Not really any worse than my Celica, better than the Miata was, and oddly not as good as the Firebird.  I want a '68 Coupe DeVille, 129.5" of luxurious wheelbase to navigate through these rough waters...  I mean roads...

I'll see your Coup DeVille and raise you a 68 Bonneville :-)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »
Interesting...

Regards, Jack

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
Just so majestic:

I had a '67 but the lack of parts availability and support for the 429 sucked.  '68 got the 472 which later stroked out to the 500 for the '70 Eldorado and then later DeVilles.  Actually there's good support for the 472/500 and you can build some Hellacious motors out of them.  Mmm... gratuitous amounts of torque.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #308 on: August 30, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »
I finally got a little bit of time and decided to start putting my int. together. I wanted to put new bulbs in the dash before I installed it. I went to 3 auto part stores to get enough of them from the same manufacture and still no luck. Searched the net, no luck. I guess I need to go back to the first place and have them order for me. I am 5 short of getting the dash in.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #309 on: August 30, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
I have an old 18' open bow runabout... (94 Mariah Diablo - 3.8 L GM V6).   I had it at a shop last week because the tilt/trim fluid was milky looking due to water.  Got it back.  Took the wife and son and put the boat in on lake Travis yesterday - first and possibly only use this year... which sux.  Had a blast!  Then looked a the tilt/trim fluid - milky again.

Can't see any evidence of leaks - so wondering how well the shop did when they flushed it.  Decided to flush it myself today.  I'm no boat mechanic but I have a manual (almost useful!) and looked at some vids.  About 5 hours and 15 quarts of fluid later the fluid seems to be clear and the trim seems to be working right.

I flushed it with "cheap" (yeah right!) Autozone 10W-30 first.  The fluid FINALLY cleared up just as I was emptying the THIRD 5-quart jug.  Then I flushed out the 10W-30 with Mercruiser tilt/trim fluid which is VERY expensive (thus not used to flush the water at first).  It sucked - but all's well that ends I guess.  Need to make at least one more lake run to test it out.
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #310 on: August 30, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »
Rained all day and cleaned the Firebird off for me, so that was nice.  Had tree dust on it from where I had it parked further back into the yard.  If anyone nearby wants to throw in a TH350C for me I'd just keep it, especially now since there are some cheap ways of getting A/C working again which was my biggest detriment with keeping it.  That and the TH350C would help mileage, not like I drive too terribly much anyway these days.  It took over 6 months to put on a few hundred miles to break the motor in and the trans to show it was trash...  Just aggravating, had I driven it more sooner warranty would've replaced it...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »
Rained all day and cleaned the Firebird off for me, so that was nice.  Had tree dust on it from where I had it parked further back into the yard.  If anyone nearby wants to throw in a TH350C for me I'd just keep it, especially now since there are some cheap ways of getting A/C working again which was my biggest detriment with keeping it.  That and the TH350C would help mileage, not like I drive too terribly much anyway these days.  It took over 6 months to put on a few hundred miles to break the motor in and the trans to show it was trash...  Just aggravating, had I driven it more sooner warranty would've replaced it...

Where are you located again?  I'd happily help you throw another trans in there.

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2015, 07:28:12 AM »
Sunday (y'day) left me house at 6:20AM for Cars & Coffee at the OBI on Long Island.  Biggest cruise in the area.  Always good to get together with the guys but hard to schedule with everything everybody has going on.  Arrived about 6;40 and couldn't get a parking spot.  Had to park on the grass. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:53:27 AM by droptopron »
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »
Sunday I finally got the TATA buttoned back up.
Drove it about 8 miles or so and everything seems to be good now!!
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!  It felt like it would never be done.
Thanks for all the input on here.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #314 on: August 31, 2015, 09:28:15 AM »
Where are you located again?  I'd happily help you throw another trans in there.
I'm all the way in Alabama, thanks for the offer though it really means a lot.  I remembered there's a guy not too far down the road that runs a shadetree mechanic shop, even has a lift.  I went there for some used tires once and replacing broken wheel studs, was real reasonable on pricing.  The last few times I tried calling him for something the line was always busy or dead, guess I should drive by one day and ask about how much it'd cost to do a direct replacement.  Though part of me is wary about using a used transmission, really need one with better frictions given the motor that's in it.  Then again I don't abuse it anyway.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #315 on: August 31, 2015, 11:26:14 AM »
Man I'd love to build a 3rd gen Coupe DeVille.

Black exterior, black interior, bagged, black spoke chrome lip 20's and 22's, and a twin turbo Lsx!

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #316 on: August 31, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »
I'll throw in an actually on topic remark here.

Yesterday I... got behind the wheel of a 600+ hp 2015 Camaro!  It was a belated birthday gift from the woman.  This was at the Maple Grove drag strip near Reading, PA.  WOW what fun!!  I got 6 passes but came in 2nd place.  Not bad for never racing a day in my life.  I have pics and video but I need time to upload them.  Also, need to figure out how to do some simple video editing as the vids are just wayyyy too long.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #317 on: August 31, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

Yesterday I... got behind the wheel of a 600+ hp 2015 Camaro!  It was a belated birthday gift from the woman.  This was at the Maple Grove drag strip near Reading, PA.  WOW what fun!!  I got 6 passes but came in 2nd place.  Not bad for never racing a day in my life.  I have pics and video but I need time to upload them.  Also, need to figure out how to do some simple video editing as the vids are just wayyyy too long.
That sounds like fun :grin:
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #318 on: August 31, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
Man I'd love to build a 3rd gen Coupe DeVille.

Black exterior, black interior, bagged, black spoke chrome lip 20's and 22's, and a twin turbo Lsx!
I was wanting to do similar except for pearlescent purple, 17-18" wire wheels, and building a 500 for it.  All the torques.

I guess by similar that'd be black interior and air suspension. :P

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »

That sounds like fun :grin:

X2 love to see the video.

Regards, Jack

« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
You can help support TAC!