Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 710833 times)

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
As far as I know the ('88-'92)LB9 intake bolts right up to the LO5. When I asked about doing this none of the people on TGFBW have said anything electrical wise other than I'll need 22lb injectors vs the 19lb injectors used by the 305. And the 350's electronic spark controller. I know it wont be an L98, it'll just a LO5 w/TPI. But its still a "Tuned Port 350"...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:50:29 PM by 77 TA man »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
I'd just use the the L98 intake, injectors and rail since it is a 350.  The only difference really between the LO5 and the L98 is in the cam, heads, and its intake and method of delivering fuel.  I've thought about doing the same with mine to make it MPFI, though I'd have to swap heads since mine is gen I.  As far as the electricals go I meant it'd be a little less involved doing TBI over MPFI.  If you have everything for the LO5 to drop it in as far as wiring and the computer I'd go with that at first.  For the MPFI conversion you'd really want to go with one of the years that used a mass air flow sensor over a manifold pressure sensor as they're more mod friendly before you have to get into burning custom tunes.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
Well I might be disillusioned, but whatever 3rd gen I get will need to be not just going but driving as soon as possible. I will be working with what ever items I have on hand to get this car, this dream driving. I dont expect you guys to understand, and I know this might make me sound like a spoiled brat who didnt get what he wants to some of you but just listen. Since the day I picked up my '77 T/A to just a few months ago the only thing I'd wanted to do was drive it. Since late 2013 its been my dream to have one of these cars as my daily driver. This is where I explain why I want a 3rd gen so badly: my school cut busing at the end of my freshman year. Nearing the end of sophomore year my parents work schedule changed, mom worked third shift and couldnt get me to school on time so the only way for me to get to school was to be dropped off a full hour and half before school started by my dad going to work at 07:00 am. And many times I couldn't be picked up until 18:00 or even 19:00! I was putting in a 12 hour day with only 7 hours worth of classes. Boo-hoo you might say at this point? Yes, I agree I did suck it up and counted my self lucky because I had missed being dropped off the winter months at that one of the coldest we had experienced.  Same situation at the beginning of my junior year, dropped off at 06:00 and picked up at 17:00-19:00.  Except this time I didn't miss the winter months, I went right through them. The winter of '14-'15 was what really set me off,colder and harsher than the last and I still didn't have my license then. I feel I should now mention that school policy is that the doors only open early to students when its 0 degrees out or colder. I don't think that any of you will understand what its like to be sitting alone, in the dark, on top of an algebra book so I didn't have to sit on the cold brick floor when its -7 degrees out w/o windchill. But to make the time until the doors open go faster I let my mind drift. I wasn't huddled in a corner with snow piling up on me, it was summer time and I was in my Trans Am tearing up our local country backroads. I cant remember how many arguments me and my parents have had over my license and that car then, they said they hated me being there that early too but they will never know how bad it really was.   My Trans Am morphed and became more than a car, it became my daily escape. I've wanted to use it as a daily driver since day one but  a late Thirdgen F-body is probably as close as I'll get to having one of these as my daily. I know its not the same and it cant replace the experiences(or lack there of..) I've missed because of my second gen T/A but its as good as I can do. Yes, I DID have the proper cold weather gear for an extended stay outside incase anybody is wondering.
I hope this makes sense because its hard to explain and its 01:11 here...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:12:00 PM by 77 TA man »
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2015, 11:27:12 PM »
Trust me, I understand the broke and not having money thing, I was just trying to point you in the right direction for what it sounded like you were doing.

Given your case find a TBI 305 car with a blown/sick motor to drop your motor into, wire it up and hook in your computer.  I'd go over to third gen as I think they have some good info on going from the LO3 to the LO5.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »
Found the main one: http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tbi/379459-how-305-350-swap.html  I remember seeing a few more as at one point I thought why not get a TBI car since they seem to pop up with the 5-speed more often, and then I could just swap the motor and computer etc...

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2015, 11:45:41 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
Listed the car on eBay, so will see how that goes...  Ended up riding in my brother's 301 Trans Am earlier and that made me second guess myself.  Even before the transmission fiasco I had thought about selling it but could never convince myself regardless of how unfeasible of a daily it is.  I wish I had a shop with a lift, then I'd just rebuild the TH350 with my stepdad and a rebuild handbook.  I wish I were still physically capable, hell washing the car earlier kicked my ass and it was just a quick wash off...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2015, 02:23:12 AM »
I really want a black hardtop LT1/T56 Formula...

So much sleekness.  I like the LS1 cars too, but they really are on the ostentatious side.  I just love how sleek and smooth the LT1 Formula is, that's it I've made my mind up.  I guess if any other colour that's not red were to come up that'd be ok too.  The blues, teals, and purples were really nice and would be on par with black, and purple would be first choice but it's incredibly rare.  Just one blacked out and lowered a little would be so awesome looking though.  To me the LT1 birds just have that timeless futuristic look, especially in darker colours.  I just hope my knee cooperates for a few years at least.  I guess worst case I could always get cortisone injections... 

Anyway, it'll help ease the pain of selling the '79 as I've always wanted a 6-speed fourth gen too.  My knee was the primary reason in buying the '79 as it was a compromise in getting an automatic, at least it was a car I've always wanted and an automatic in an old muscle car isn't as bad.  I just hope I can find a 6-speed Formula that isn't red, and preferably with the hardtop.  Though on fourth gens the T-top isn't as big of a deal since the hardtop was just a composite panel sealed into place over the T-top cutouts.  Plenty of junked hardtop 3.4 cars to take the panel, seals, and headliner from.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:11 AM »
I'm going to try to get this thread back on topic one more time....

TODAY I....

Got up at 5 am and dragged my tired a$$ to work.  The older I get, the less I can handle this early morning BS.  I didn't even get up that early when I was in the Army!
Tonight I'll be busy up until about 10 pm.  Getting highly sick of this...
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2015, 07:40:32 AM »
^^^X2!  So true!!
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2015, 07:56:49 AM »
Today I....

Started looking for the LO5's 16128261 ESC required for swaping in the TBI350 in place of the LO3.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »
My post was a Today I made a discovery about myself and what I want.  Besides I made this thread, so I make the rules. :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
Today I....

Started looking for the LO5's 16128261 ESC required for swaping in the TBI350 in place of the LO3.
Might consider making a post on thirdgen.org, that or if you could find a forum dedicated to the 1500 I'm sure you'd have no problems finding one there.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
Today I....

Might consider making a post on thirdgen.org, that or if you could find a forum dedicated to the 1500 I'm sure you'd have no problems finding one there.
we pulled all the wiring stuff off the '89 1500, I know the esc is in a box around here somewhere...

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »
Ahhh ok.  Well it'll probably be in the last spot you think of, because that's how those kind of things work.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Today I....
    Realized that by the time I buy a 3rd gen,fix everyhing and  throw it all together and get tags, tires and Insurance that I could do a T-56 swap to my '77 for the roughly same amount of $ and get roughly the same mpg as a third gen. Now I guess it depends on how little I can get that '91 Formula for and the difference in insurance.  The struggle is real...

1986 T-Top T/A:

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »
Wasn't the '77 also needing engine work and lots of body and interior work?  That and you may need to change the rear gear to accommodate the manual trans.  If you start off with a decent TBI 305 that the only thing wrong is the motor you'll come out ahead.  Plus I personally would find it easier to drop in a TBI 350 into a TBI 305 car(more or less direct swap, change out ECU and some other small things) than to adapt a T56 to a non Chevrolet motor and get it into the car, change the drive-shaft, and set up the clutch master and pedal assembly.  Plus it'd be cheaper since a T56 itself costs as much if not more than a decent third gen with a sick/blown motor, sadly.

Pats TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
The day before yesterday I put the correct headlight bucket springs on the TA.   :lol:

Sorry, I'm 2 days late on posting.  :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
The day before yesterday I put the correct headlight bucket springs on the TA.   :lol:

Sorry, I'm 2 days late on posting.  :lol:
That's ok, the Today portion is loose.  My days slip together so by the time I think to say something today is really yesterday and tomorrow is really today.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2015, 06:55:37 PM »
Wasn't the '77 also needing engine work and lots of body and interior work?  That and you may need to change the rear gear to accommodate the manual trans.  If you start off with a decent TBI 305 that the only thing wrong is the motor you'll come out ahead.  Plus I personally would find it easier to drop in a TBI 350 into a TBI 305 car(more or less direct swap, change out ECU and some other small things) than to adapt a T56 to a non Chevrolet motor and get it into the car, change the drive-shaft, and set up the clutch master and pedal assembly.  Plus it'd be cheaper since a T56 itself costs as much if not more than a decent third gen with a sick/blown motor, sadly.
Yeah, I think the timing is way off on the 400. If I do the T-56 swap I'd want to remove the whole front end to do it and at that point I might as well do make a tubular subframe like I want to but at that point I might as well just buy the EFI kit and not bother with taking the front end off....so yeah, I think a beat up/sick LO3 car is the best way to go.

1986 T-Top T/A:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
TOMORROW, I plan to be at work from 7am until 10pm.  Yeah... one LONG shift, then I get to do it again on Thursday, lol.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: July 28, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
As far as getting a decently quick stick car for cheap easily that'd be the way to go, especially since you have the TBI 350 and everything to go with it.  Keep working on the '77 as you go so you're not in a rush and stressed.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »
As far as getting a decently quick stick car for cheap easily that'd be the way to go, especially since you have the TBI 350 and everything to go with it.  Keep working on the '77 as you go so you're not in a rush and stressed.

OH FFS..  I had a 91 Formy with a 305 TBI.  Bought it for $600 with a rod knock.  Found a 92 305 TBI out of a Camaro, dropped it in, ran EXCELLENT until I sold it like an idiot. 

Had to throw that in. 

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2015, 08:31:06 PM »
OH FFS..   

Took me a minute to figure that one out... :lol:

Regards, Jack

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
Today I....
Realized I have 2 months after I'm 18 to 1)get a car, LO3 and T-Tops,
2) fix mechanical issues, complete crapshoot probably not good, 3) drive it enough to work the bugs out.
So yeah, As much as I hate to say I will be rushing and probably cutting corners to get this car ready for senior year. I'm not going to do stupid/unsafe stuff fixing it up but I will have to do the bare minimum and be
Resourceful. Effectively if the part/tool I need isnt out in the garage I am almost SOL. But I dont think there is anything a thirdgen needs that we dont have, except brake/fuel lines/possibly wiring.
I found this on TGO:
There are 3 ways to do a project: Good,Fast, and Cheap
Pick any two.
If its done good and fast its not going to be cheap,
If its done good and cheap its not going to be fast,
If its done fast and cheap its nots going to be good,

I believe I will be the latter because of circumstance/resources. 

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »
I hate that saying and its variations, you can have it all if you know what you're doing and are capable.  If you're in that big of a hurry and short on money try to find a TBI car that at least still runs but the motor is sick, at least that way you know things like brakes and etc... still work.

That or say flip^ it all and sell everything and buy a 3.8 4th gen since you can get them for next to nothing in good shape and it'll be a reliable and efficient daily.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:31:14 PM by Box »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #145 on: July 28, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »

OH FFS..  I had a 91 Formy with a 305 TBI.  Bought it for $600 with a rod knock.  Found a 92 305 TBI out of a Camaro, dropped it in, ran EXCELLENT until I sold it like an idiot. 

Had to throw that in.
That's more or less exactly what said to do? :-?  Find a TBI car to drop the motor he already has into it.  If he can live with an auto that'll probably make the search easier, but stick cars are out there.

MD79TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »
Today I ordered 2 replacement brown speedometer gears to fix my speedometer.
1979 Trans Am
307 RWHP 380RWTQ / 13.8@103
1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Cams, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base

1968 GTO convertible
400 auto with A/C

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2015, 07:47:31 AM »

Had to throw that in.
That's more or less exactly what said to do? :-?  Find a TBI car to drop the motor he already has into it.  If he can live with an auto that'll probably make the search easier, but stick cars are out there.

That post had nothing to do with what you said.  I did that to share my own story since this thread has clearly strayed....

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
  • this is gonna be a few years
« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2015, 10:47:56 AM »
Today I decided to fix AC box while I wait on engine parts wiring parts. This is my first time doing this so don't be too big of a critic  :P
I mixed up a bottom layer and coated, layed and formed the mat, then covered it. Did the same for the back...currently waiting on it to cure. In the meantime I'll clean up my inner fenders

1979 Trans Am. 403 auto. but at least its numbers matching?
my build thread http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=60987.0

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2015, 11:19:51 AM »
Today I         Took the day off to get much waited for hearing aids.......Hour and a half one way because of traffic/construction only to get there and be told everthing hadn't come in and they didn't know till I got there!So after a few choice words with my doc I head home  only 45 minutes. First long trip in the TA   400 4speed 308 rear....17.3 mpg    not bad
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
Today I         Took the day off to get much waited for hearing aids.......Hour and a half one way because of traffic/construction only to get there and be told everthing hadn't come in and they didn't know till I got there!So after a few choice words with my doc I head home  only 45 minutes. First long trip in the TA   400 4speed 308 rear....17.3 mpg    not bad

That's finding a silver lining
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #151 on: July 29, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
Today I...Added up what I've spent in parts on my restoration(receipts, credit card charges, etc.) then I passed out.  I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:43:40 PM by ta9590 »
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
  • this is gonna be a few years
« Reply #152 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Today I...Added up what I've spent in parts in on my restoration(receipts, credit card charges, etc.) then I passed out.  I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that.

i do that sometimes when i clean my glovebox in my DD to file reciepts and i have a stack of reciepts that could suffocate a person. i second that statement
1979 Trans Am. 403 auto. but at least its numbers matching?
my build thread http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=60987.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
I hate when doctors tell you to come in only for them to walk in an hour and a half later since you arrived to tell you it'll be your next visit for x or y to get there... :-x

Raptor

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 04:02:37 PM »
Today I repaired both cracks in the floor of my red '79 Mustang (very common issue on the front seat rear mounting points), put some anti rust paint on the inside of the frame rails where I cut the rust holes in the floor, and made four patch pieces to repair those holes and painted the back side of these with anti rust paint. Tomorrow I'll weld those pieces. There will be only one other repair to do and I'll put the interior back in. I'm not restoring it but it needs to be done right.
Then I'll have to tackle the same job on my Vaquero Gold '79 Mustang which has the same rust problems, but also rust on the driver side quarter panel and the roof.
Luckily my white hatchback V6 does not have spot of rust. I even found a very nice build sheet in this one !
Fran├žois Martinez (from France)
- 1974 Firebird Formula 400
- 1984 Firebird Trans Am HO - L69 - T5 - W62

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »
Yesterday I worked all frikken day.  Today I get to scrub my bathroom....

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2015, 05:19:51 AM »
Booo!!!!  Scrubbing Bubbles is your friend.

Today, actually yesterday but just noticed, I received an offer for the Firebird on eBay.  When I first saw the notification I was expecting a lowball, but it was actually pretty fair.  Will send a counter and work things from there.  It sounds weird but part of me was hoping no one would want it, then I'd really have no option but to fix it somehow.  Even the thought of owning a fourth gen doesn't soften the blow much.  I get attached to my cars regardless, but I've always wanted a second gen so that makes it even harder.  That and knowing I'd want another one some time in the future makes it even worse.  Logic and reason says sell it and get into a fourth gen that gets decent economy, has A/C, has modern crash safety, and other things from the factory I wanted to do with the second gen.  Not to mention the fact since it is my sole transportation...  The ten year old in me says I'm a big meanie for selling it and that they'll never forgive me though.  I wish I had more money than sense and I'd just take it to one of those big restoration shops and go all out, but that's certainly not an option.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:51:26 AM by Box »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2015, 07:36:42 AM »
Work work work...  That's all I do anymore.

Today I...  Got up at 5 am to be at my "regular" job for 7. 

Tonight, lol, I actually plan to watch a movie with the woman. 

PARTSMAN76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
Today I finally got a check from the insurance company to fix my truck.
July 2nd I had the day off so decided to work on the TATA..........if you have read my post, it has been a struggle.
This was the day I discovered all the damaged push rods and the machine shops horrible assembly.
Frustrated, I locked up the garage, got a shower, and took my wife out to eat to get my mind off the car.
Just to have a pizza delivery boy pull out in front of me and do $7000.00 in damage to my 2012 Dodge Ram.
Needless to say..........it got my mind off the TA for awhile.
79 ANNIVERSARY T/A

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
I hate insurance.  It took them three months to settle things with my Miata, and by law they're supposed to do it within 30 days or maybe 45 as I can't remember now.

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
You can help support TAC!