Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 747549 times)

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:44 AM »
I know my car has bigger issues than wheels and tail lights  but I did my tailights today. I'm doing my Rally IIs tomorrow. These tailights were actually a previous owners idea but I think they'll go good with the white and blue theme of the car. Thoughts?
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
Bacon/greasy foods would make me think gall bladder.  If it's just ice cream it could be the high content of butter fats and lactose could be causing issues.  Orange juice is a strange one though.

You are exactly correct.  I had my gall bladder removed about 7 years ago.

Back OT.  Wasn't today, but last Saturday, I had to dig a trench to run a drainpipe off a downspout from the front of my garage.  Hopefully, this will solve the drainage problem and thereby prevent further damage to my driveway.

Today, I got up at 4:25, did a workout, got ready for work, and now lol here I sit.  Hey, it's "burrito Monday!"  That means the woman and I will be going out to dinner  :grin:
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2015, 12:39:54 PM »
If you do it like the '69 Trans Am where it was white with blue accents and interior I think it'll look right.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2015, 01:33:03 PM »
If you do it like the '69 Trans Am where it was white with blue accents and interior I think it'll look right.
Thats what the plan is, Blue interior, Blue Bird/decals, Blue Rally IIs, Blue tailights. I might do the "PONTIAC" emblem on the driverside grill in Blue w/silver lettering but not sure how that one would look.
1977 HardTop T/A: 347 LSx Build,3.905" Wiseco 25cc dished pistons,forged rods, OE crank,BTR Stage 2 turbo cam, ARP Main+Head Studs,

1986 T-Top T/A:
Navy Blue Paint ,Grey/Black interior,140mph speedo,overhead console, LB9/Automatic, 2.77 Posi,  WS-6 suspension, All power options, UMI Wonderbar, UMI Rear LCAs, KYB Excel-Gs, Opened Formula hood,

ddman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
Well we finally had a break in the rain so this morning I decided to wash the ol girl. Paint is not the best but I still like cleaning it up.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 01:38:21 PM by ddman »
79 Trans Am
80 Trans Am
78 dodge magnum xe
97 chevy 4x4
99 Dakota
05 Jeep Liberty

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »
Well we finally had a break in the rain so this morning I decided to wash the ol girl. Paint is not the best but I still like cleaning it up.

Your paint finish looks like a good one to practice high speed buffing on.  There are many different pads and compounds you can use to make it look better.  N

Nice car

Mumbles

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1979 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS7
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
Technically this was yesterday, but I wanted to share this...

This is the my oldest son, my wife and I enjoying The Log Ride at Adventureland in Altoona, IA.  We spent the day there with family and had a BLAST!

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »
FINALLY fixed the problem with the brakes on my Camry.  I was hearing a constant grinding noise and couldn't really tell where it was coming from.  Ended up being a loose shim on the rear passenger caliper.  Fixed that and replaced the pads/rotors on the front, too. 

This, however, only lets me know I STILL have an exhaust leak because I can actually hear it now...  :sad:

I like this thread.  It lets my vent my daily frustrations w/out being judged.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
Yay brakes though!

Not sure about the Camry but the Celica had a flexpipe between the manifold and catalytic converter that could be a source of problems.

ddman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »
Have wondered about buffing it  it has a lot of rock chips in it though. Maybe some thing ill try.
79 Trans Am
80 Trans Am
78 dodge magnum xe
97 chevy 4x4
99 Dakota
05 Jeep Liberty

ddman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »
Well today I vacuumed it out, going to see a guy in the morning maybe have him buff it. See how that looks. Going to try to find some seat covers where my front seats are ripped so bad. Ill post up some pics when I do.
79 Trans Am
80 Trans Am
78 dodge magnum xe
97 chevy 4x4
99 Dakota
05 Jeep Liberty

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2015, 08:39:40 PM »
Went to work, then got home and swore I'd get to bed by 9:30.  OK... it's 10:30 as I type this.  Had to go over my mothers house and get some things done, then I decided to finish de-weeding my driveway/curb, then got a troubleshooting call (IT).  Got home around 10 and finally had dinner.  Think I'll go to bed soon...

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »
I got a rally painted, think I'll just keep it just a straight blue and not do blue/silver like I wanted.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2015, 09:31:51 PM »
If anything wait until you paint the car and mask off the the raised part of the spokes and do the rim in the matching white.  That'd look pretty sharp.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
If anything wait until you paint the car and mask off the the raised part of the spokes and do the rim in the matching white.  That'd look pretty sharp.
White paint is going to be wayyyyy down the road. I'm planning on doing it in white primer though, I want paint and decals to be the last things I do so I can get that feel of finally finishing it. Just have to do what I can when I can.

1986 T-Top T/A:

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
Primer won't protect the metal from the elements.  Where some idjit decided he was doing favours by stripping my brother's car down and covering it in primer had spots of rust coming through and it was just fading away.  Best thing to do if on a serious budget would be to buy the Wal-Mart brand white gloss enamel aerosol paint at 96 cents a can and paint it with that until you have the money for a "professionally done" paintjob.  If you do the body and prep work right and then take your time painting it in sections, it'll actually turn out pretty good.  Especially if you lay enough paint to go back and colour sand it.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2015, 05:39:39 AM »
Primer won't protect the metal from the elements.  Where some idjit decided he was doing favours by stripping my brother's car down and covering it in primer had spots of rust coming through and it was just fading away.  Best thing to do if on a serious budget would be to buy the Wal-Mart brand white gloss enamel aerosol paint at 96 cents a can and paint it with that until you have the money for a "professionally done" paintjob.  If you do the body and prep work right and then take your time painting it in sections, it'll actually turn out pretty good.  Especially if you lay enough paint to go back and colour sand it.
figured I would put a sealer then primer. Thank god the person who primered my car back in '97-'98 didnt skimp and get the cheap stuff. And that he actually sealed it.

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
I forget they have sealers, the hot thing these days is epoxy primer from what I hear.

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
  • this is gonna be a few years
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2015, 06:20:56 PM »
well today i, got my engine tore back down. installed new rear main seal, new distributor, new oil pan, crank pulley, water pump, lifters, pushrods, put the engine back together, freshened up the paint a bit, put that on hold, took of drivers side fender. stripped down the subframe and core support, got it in primer and semi gloss black paint. the subframe is getting a ruberized undercoat spray (using a wagner electric sprayer). got my new brake booster assy. re wired some of the wiring harness. cleaned up my starter, started stripping down the fire wall. figured out i had a fender mounted antenna at one point. took out the saginaw and cleaned it up. blasted and sprayed my tie rods and pitman arm. setup a job interview! and now i think its time for a break!
1979 Trans Am. 403 auto. but at least its numbers matching?
my build thread http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=60987.0

MD79TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2015, 08:45:33 PM »
Today I got 15mpg in my TA. Never thought it would reach that number with out an OD trans.
1979 Trans Am
307 RWHP 380RWTQ / 13.8@103
1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Cams, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base

1968 GTO convertible
400 auto with A/C

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2015, 09:50:47 PM »
I'm not sure if you should laugh or cry.  Personally I cried, low teens with 2.41 rear was just sad.  On the way home it got about 6 mpg, almost doubled that after setting it up properly.  Wooo...  Now I need to get really angry with it one day so I can finally call the elderly gentleman and sell it, then buy a fourth gen that won't be much slower but will get a little over twice the mileage.

Guy off eBay is coming by Friday between 2-3 in the afternoon to get the Miata though.  One down one to go.

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 04:10:53 AM »
Technically this was yesterday, but I wanted to share this...

This is the my oldest son, my wife and I enjoying The Log Ride at Adventureland in Altoona, IA.  We spent the day there with family and had a BLAST!

Great pic.....smiles for miles.....

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 04:12:51 AM »
Today I got 15mpg in my TA. Never thought it would reach that number with out an OD trans.

Were you driving it? Or is that the tow trucks mpg.... :-D :-D :-D

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2015, 04:20:50 AM »
I think he was going downhill with a strong tailwind. :P

Also someone needs to force me to call the older gentleman about selling my Firebird, should've done it two days ago but for some reason there's this part of me that won't do it.  Of course that part is the one that gets anxious and apprehensive as soon a phone rings or as they're dialing a number.  Someone from eBay will be getting the Miata I've had tomorrow afternoon between 2-3 or so, so if I could sell the Firebird this weekend or next week I can immediately start shopping for a T56 4th gen that'll probably take me three months to find one that's good and that I can afford.  So all kinds of fun to be had.  I hate car shopping...

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2015, 05:45:40 AM »
Well, I actually just woke up today, but it's been a LONG past couple of days. I've done nothing but work (not necessarily a bad thing.  Some people can't find 1 job and I'm holding down 2).

So, yesterday after work I came home and started to install a dedicated electrical line for my AC.  I got about 3/4 of the way done, and needed to remove an old copper bracket from the plumbing that used to be there.  It was attached with a nail, not a screw, and I couldn't get a hammer in there, so I dug at it with diagonal cutters.  They slipped......  I now have a deep, throbbing gash in my left thumb.  I should probably have gotten stitches but super glue is cheaper, faster, and less painful.  LoL I used an emery board and duct tape to keep my thumb from bending and opening back up.

Prior to this........  I was at Walmart getting some necessities.  Phone rings.  I dropped it as I was pulling it out of my pocket.  Screen cracks (dangit  :x third one this year) and goes completely black.  Phone still works but no user interface to see what I'm doing.  FML now I have to go to AT&T and deal with their BS. 

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
I drove the TA to work,  80° early morning commute.   100+ for the drive home  :?

I long for the day I can drive my TA to work...  55 miles one way though.

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
  • this is gonna be a few years
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »
today i had a job interview and it went well, now i just have to get my sore self out there and start on the frame again
1979 Trans Am. 403 auto. but at least its numbers matching?
my build thread http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=60987.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
Well got it over with and called the guy about the Firebird.  Old people are really direct by the way.  He asked what I wanted and I said that I was planning on placing it on eBay for $4,000 OBO and see what happens.  Then he's like, "What's your real price boy?"  At first I was like what...  Then I told him $3,000.  So tomorrow will be eventful between the guy from Louisiana getting the Miata from 2-3, and then whenever he decides to drop by and look at the Firebird.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2015, 07:37:54 PM »
Lol...who you calling old.  Direct and to the point.  Old guys don't have time to play games.
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
He's in his 60's or 70's, so I'd consider that old.  Well since he's gotten my no bullcrap no haggling price that's it, I'll be more than happy to put it into the front of the yard and onto eBay.  It's not like he's the only one that's stopped and asked, just the only one to ask to call if I decided to sell.  Since I'm a man of my word that's what I've done, but I'm not going to give it away since he's the first one there with cash and I haven't even put it on the market.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2015, 02:12:45 AM »
The more I think about it the more I'm having my doubts with the old man. On the phone I was saying how the trans lost drive when I was going to the fuel station the other day and he was like, "Well that'll be like $1,200-1,500 to fix right there." For one the whole world knows you can do a core exchange plus $500-600 for a rebuilt TH350 at most any trans shop, and secondly you told me you had a shop that you'd be going through everything anyway. For some reason now I'm getting the distinct feeling I'm going to be quite pissed off sometime later this afternoon.

79merlin

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
Just because he doesn't want to play your games, doesn't mean he doesn't want you to play his.  :D
He is going to highball every defect on the car to help convince you to bring the price down. I don't think I have ever bought or sold anything private party without that happening...

Good luck with the sale.

Todd

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »
I drove the TA to work,  80° early morning commute.   100+ for the drive home  :?

I long for the day I can drive my TA to work...  55 miles one way though.

I wish I could drive anything to work.  I work in NYC and have to take the train.  It sucks.  I had a job interview 15 mins from my house but the $$ wasn't there. 
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
Just because he doesn't want to play your games, doesn't mean he doesn't want you to play his.  :D
He is going to highball every defect on the car to help convince you to bring the price down. I don't think I have ever bought or sold anything private party without that happening...

Good luck with the sale.

Todd
I'm trying to be realistic, I know it needs $400-600 for the trans to be rebuilt/exchanged with a trans shop.  Maybe it'd be $1,200-1,500 if you took the whole car to a garage, but in that case the o.e. ATP master kit is $80...  I've looked around Craigslist and unless you have $8,000+ mine is the best out there currently.  Just some examples... http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/5101826073.html  http://montgomery.craigslist.org/cto/5097534344.html

So even at that asking $4,000 OBO given the state of the car's body, interior, and the engine especially isn't too far fetched.  He wanted my no bs no haggle price and he has it.  If I'm going to give it away I'll give it to my little brother to replace his '80 301 Trans Am since he's been wanting to replace the drivetrain.  Otherwise there are plenty of others that'll stop by with it at the front of the yard and message about it on eBay.

Thanks for the well wishes.

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »

Good luck with the sale.

Todd

When I had my car up for sale a guy asked for my bottom dollar price.  I gave it to him & said if I can't get that amount out of it I'm not selling it.  Guy then proceeds to keep trying to bring the price down more.  I told him when I gave him my bottom dollar price I was serious & that was it. 
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Today I spun the LO5's (350 TBI) crank by hand. So thats good, i felt really stupid when I realized I was an intake swap away from having a TPI 350. If i get an LO3 car then it'll stay TBI. If I get a later LB9 I'll put the TPI intake on (with the 350 injectors and esc for both of course...)

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
Old man just dropped by and looked the car over. Had the hood up and he asks me does it run? I was like of course, the engine is perfect. I hopped in, pumped the pedal once, and it fired right over as if it were fuel injected. The look on his face was priceless. After he has me turn it off he asks what do I want, I tell him I plan to put it on eBay for $4,000 OBO. He asks $4,000? Then I told him after looking on Craigslist this morning anything under $4,000 is a piece of crap. He said he'll have to talk to his shop and will get back to me. :twisted: :lol:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2015, 11:54:20 AM »
Today I spun the LO5's (350 TBI) crank by hand. So thats good, i felt really stupid when I realized I was an intake swap away from having a TPI 350. If i get an LO3 car then it'll stay TBI. If I get a later LB9 I'll put the TPI intake on (with the 350 injectors and esc for both of course...)
It's a little more involved than that, but basically.  The L98 had a bigger cam and the compression will be a half to a point higher.  Of course the electricals will be a lot more involved as well.  My grandfather had an early 90's 1500 with the TBI 350 backed by a 5-speed and it'd chirp the tires all the way to fourth if you did it just right.  Of course being a truck there's no weight on the back of it, but still not bad for an old truck.

77 TA man

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
As far as I know the ('88-'92)LB9 intake bolts right up to the LO5. When I asked about doing this none of the people on TGFBW have said anything electrical wise other than I'll need 22lb injectors vs the 19lb injectors used by the 305. And the 350's electronic spark controller. I know it wont be an L98, it'll just a LO5 w/TPI. But its still a "Tuned Port 350"...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:50:29 PM by 77 TA man »

1986 T-Top T/A:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
I'd just use the the L98 intake, injectors and rail since it is a 350.  The only difference really between the LO5 and the L98 is in the cam, heads, and its intake and method of delivering fuel.  I've thought about doing the same with mine to make it MPFI, though I'd have to swap heads since mine is gen I.  As far as the electricals go I meant it'd be a little less involved doing TBI over MPFI.  If you have everything for the LO5 to drop it in as far as wiring and the computer I'd go with that at first.  For the MPFI conversion you'd really want to go with one of the years that used a mass air flow sensor over a manifold pressure sensor as they're more mod friendly before you have to get into burning custom tunes.

« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
You can help support TAC!