Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 698516 times)

Importsmasher

• Active Forum Member
      • Southwest V8
Re: Today I...
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2015, 06:35:55 PM »
I replaced an exhaust hanger on my 66 GTO, and started cutting up my 73 Ventura parts car....

Importsmasher
Scott Baggiore

73 Formula 400/4-speed
66 GTO convertible 389/4-speed (parents bought new)
74 GTO 455/4-speed
www.southwestv8.com

another10th

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 06:09:41 AM »
Your car is so nice. 8-)

Thank you for saying so. It was a long road to get it like this, but I'm enjoying it now.
JEFF

'79 TATA
'02 CETA #436

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 05:13:29 PM »
Today, I wanted to finish up the parking brake setup on my T/A and perhaps start sandblasting the exhaust.  Yeah...... this was not to happen!

I ended up putting new gutters on my house  :shock:  (Trust me, it needed it!)

1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 05:26:54 PM »
Took an hour to readjust my choke because the holding ring had seized to the cap, and I had already warmed the engine to set it before I realized it.  So that was fun. :roll:  Wasn't too far off, but it had been since January that I last set it.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
So, bought something for the Firebird today. A fairly rare shaker scoop off a 305 Trans Am, to find a complete scoop/base/retainer that isn't hacked up and in fairly good shape I couldn't pass it up.  I have my brother's hood to make a template so I can cut mine out, unless I happen to find a hood local for stupid cheap.  Read something about bracing being different on shaker hoods, but I'll get a good look at my brother's hood and replicate it as best I can.

The shaker really makes the car for me, sitting in the car and seeing it rock back and forth and then when you get on it seeing the scoop lean to the side is just the coolest thing ever. I like the full Trans Am bodywork, but at the same time I like the streamlined look of the base bird. I think with just the spoiler and scoop it'll look pretty good, and it'll be a little different.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »
Today I made a mess

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
Today/Yesterday I did this:

Much better than the tiny open air element that was on it.  It's a lot happier with the cooler air, go figure. :P  Next will be restoring the shaker and either finding a hood or modifying mine.

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:12 AM »
Picked up the air cleaner assembly from a '79 350 C-10 for the Firebird. Suppose can use it to make a cowl induction or cold air setup. That or what I'd really like to do is find a shaker lid, cut a templated hole into my hood, and then make a functional shaker assembly.  Though from what I've read I'll need the relatively rare 305 lid to work, but if a 301/400/403 works and it's an issue of fitment I could live with that.  All I know is it's not liking the tiny open air element filter with the hood closed, so anything will be better really. Of course it has lots of surface rust, but nothing that can't be easily taken care of. I did notice the lid gasket that seals onto the base was in good shape/new so that's a bonus.

It's best to get a shaker hood (plenty around) and not deal with adding bracing to make your hood to work.

Regards, Jack

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
Ideally that's what I'd like to do, but finding a hood locally in decent enough shape where they don't want a small fortune comes into play as well.  As long as there aren't any holes or the like I could work with it.  That's ok, the fun part is figuring out how to paint the shaker and another hood to look ok against faded red paint.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 12:50:10 AM »
Today I got the RA exhaust headers installed, with the motor installed it is a real chore. Got some other stuff done as well including installing the O2 sensor and bolting up the exhaust. Just a few more steps until I start it up with the EFI!
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Ideally that's what I'd like to do, but finding a hood locally in decent enough shape where they don't want a small fortune comes into play as well.  As long as there aren't any holes or the like I could work with it.  That's ok, the fun part is figuring out how to paint the shaker and another hood to look ok against faded red paint.
You could do the old mach 1/ mopar look and go satin black on the hood.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 01:17:29 PM »
I had thought about that.  Rust-Oleum has this just for such occasions: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/matte-finish

Though I plan on painting the Rally II rims in that gloss black epoxy paint, so I'm not sure how varying shininesses of black would work out.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »
Covered some plywood and made a hatrack cover panel:

Think I did a fairly good job considering this was my first time doing such a thing.  If anything it looks better than the velour that was just tossed onto it.

Pontiac_SE

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »
I realized that I have "movie cars" in my garage and thought I should take a picture of them... Yeah I know I'm a nerd   :P
Firebird -93 (sold)
Firebird -94 (sold)
Firebird Esprit -71 (sold)
Trans Am -79 Y84 (sold)
Trans Am -77 Y82 (finally got one)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
Your Charger needs a big blower sticking out of the hood. :P

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »

Pontiac_SE

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
Yeah I think that too  :P
Actually it's my friends car "Bullit" charger, I have just mounted a Keisler TKO gear box in it.. It's a really mean car, stroked 440 very difficult to drive  8)
Firebird -93 (sold)
Firebird -94 (sold)
Firebird Esprit -71 (sold)
Trans Am -79 Y84 (sold)
Trans Am -77 Y82 (finally got one)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2015, 05:01:46 PM »
I was thinking Bullet at first, but I think the F&F version is probably more famous these days.  After all the Highland Green fastback Mustang was the star of Bullet anyway. :P

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
Time to bring this one back from the dead.  Did this on Sunday:

Thanks again to JLeeAU on here for meeting up and trading even with me.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2015, 02:29:52 PM »
Some more pics in front of Django the Durango:

I think it looks pretty good with the black hood and shaker, and just having the shaker and spoiler without the rest of the Trans Am attire.  I still need to get around to painting the rims solid black and polishing out the beauty rings, but not happening in this heat and humidity...

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
x2

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
I would paint the trunk lid black as well... will look real nice.

Regards, Jack

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
Oops, I meant the x2 in regards to the TATA back on page 1 but I screwed up my post. But I like the black hood too, Box  :-D

Soldier905

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »
Jumped the starter solenoid to be able just to turn the 301t over for the first time in awhile  .

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:01 PM »
Thanks Spoon.

Jack I was thinking about doing the spoiler in black to match, kind of have the AAR 'Cuda vibe going for it.  I had thought about the decklid and maybe the trim piece above that as well, and leaving the spoiler red.  That or just leave it be, can't really decide.  Guess shall think it over some along with which rear gear to go with.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
Thanks Spoon.

Jack I was thinking about doing the spoiler in black to match, kind of have the AAR 'Cuda vibe going for it.  I had thought about the decklid and maybe the trim piece above that as well, and leaving the spoiler red.  That or just leave it be, can't really decide.  Guess shall think it over some along with which rear gear to go with.

My trunk lid is a rust free one from a black camaro.  Looks good with the spoiler still being body color.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
I think I might try doing some PhotoShop to get a better idea of what I want to do.  The only part of doing the decklid too was then I'd really want to do the roof somehow to tie it all in.  If it were a T-top car with tinted tops I'd be leaning towards that more.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
Good work Box, looks good :-D
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2015, 07:41:32 PM »
Thanks roadking. :-D  I'm trying my best to do things right by it with a limited budget.  At the very least I'm making it better than how I got it little by little.  Still trying to decide on the decklid or spoiler in black, or just leaving it be.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which torque converter stall I have.  I looked at my brother's 301 car and it's blue.  Mine looks like this bronze colour.  I tried getting ahold of the previous owner to ask where he got it or if it just came with the trans, but I guess number has changed or something.  Guess I'll be looking around Jegs and Summit trying to find something that looks similar.  Plus I need to figure out which gear set to go to, I'm stuck between the 3.08 trying to keep highway manners ok or the 3.42 taking as much strain off the trans and converter as possible.  3.23 would be a bit of a compromise I suppose.

Lev

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2015, 09:37:05 PM »
Actually it was Saturday, spent the day TxTransAms. Watched a car get painted, excellent work, learned a lot. Great times. Picked up my wheel spoilers. Thanks David
Hey Joe how you doing?
"too much to do"

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »
This was Sunday/Monday.  Tore off the rear brakes on my Camry to figure out what was making a SQUEEAALLLLL and then GRRIIIIIINNNNDDDD.....  Uhmmm frozen caliper.  That turned into replacing caliper, pads, rotors, hydraulic and hard brake lines, and tons of cursing and wasted time.

Brake line flaring tool broke, sliced open my hand and smashed one of my fingers.  Broken piece came back and missed hitting me square in the eye by a mere 16th of an inch.  NOT a good time.

Now, here's the part that pissed me off:  I had to go to a junkyard to find these parts because they are ridiculously priced brand new.  Before even entering the gate, I see a guy in open-toed sandals walk right past the guard.  There's a HUGE sign out front that strictly forbids several things in the yard, including open-toed shoes.  I pointed it out to the guard and he just shrugged it off.  Then, he insisted I open my toolbox for inspection.

I said something about that, too.  "So you're worried more about checking my toolbox for torches and jacks that DON'T have, than about the sandal clad idiot losing a toe and suing??"

The guard just gave me a dopey smile and said move along. 

Now, since I know the manager there, I brought this incident up.  He had the same attitude as the guard.

I'm done trying to be nice at that place.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »
Sorry to hear you got so much slack out of your car and then the idiots at the yard.

That's ok, I got my FIRST driving citation last night because apparently my brother let the tag expire on the Durango and it'd be just my luck that an officer with nothing better to do would be right behind me at the stop sign...  I even asked the officer shouldn't it be in his name, but of course not since I was the one driving it...  Beyond pissed is an understatement, I know I'm sure as Hell not paying it as it's bad enough it ruined my perfect record.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:31 PM »
As if things couldn't get any better turns out the transmission in the Firebird is trashed after all.  "Thankfully" I was only stranded two miles away from the house when it decided to let go and I was able to limp it back home.  I give up.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Yep, Drive is completely gone now.  I was doing about 40 when it happened, engine just started free-revving so I bumped into second thinking it was an issue with third.  Goes into second with no improvement, just higher revs.  Stop and check fluid it's full but burnt.  Only two miles from the house and the trans is trashed anyway so I just limped it in first to make it home, I wasn't about to throw more money down the drain on a two mile tow trip...  Reverse still works perfectly fine though, so at least that'll make loading it up onto someone's trailer easier...

I guess I'm glad it happened before I went through the trouble and expense of doing a rear swap and trans cooler install...

droptopron

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2015, 12:31:32 PM »
Did an experiment.  I have a one car attached garage.  When I put the car away after using it my wife carries on that the house stinks of gas & fumes.  She didn't know I used it so I put it away and put my DD in the driveway like I used that. 
When she came home not a word about any stink.  Shocking I know. :lol:
Former 1979 TATA
Current 1970 442

Your Country guarantees your Freedom
Your Government operates to limit your Freedom

campbellshotrods

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:21 PM »
Picked up my original (off another car) RH quarter panel from the sandblaster's. Now I get to try and cleanly trim it, as well as remove the quarter from my car and trim it, so the two parts can become one. At least this piece, although not perfect, will actually fit my car unlike the aftermarket garbage I've been working with.
71 Firebird: 455, Formula hood, current project with a full Ridetech suspension on the way.
77 Trans Am: With original 400, future project.
73 Formula 350: 4 speed, full project.

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
...brought home another old junk 'bird.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »
...brought home another old junk 'bird.
I know the feeling. :mad:

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2015, 05:20:21 PM »
The woman and I went for ice cream after dinner (pizza).  All I can say is good thing we have two bathrooms.  Whole way home we were both sick as dogs.  Getting old sucks.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »
That sucks, nothing like paying good money for food poisoning...  If you're not already taking acidophilus you might try grabbing some and taking it to try and get your digestive systems back in whack.

There's an older gentleman that's stopped and asked about the Firebird at least five or six times that I know of.  Last time was the day or two before I swapped hoods and put the shaker on.  I guess I'll give him a call tomorrow and see about selling it to him, the second or third time he actually pulled into the yard and said how he had a shop and would go through everything anyway so a burnt out forward clutch shouldn't be more than he can handle.  I just got done looking through and the parts for a 4-speed conversion aren't so bad; a new clutch kit, linkage, flywheel, and mount is some $300 shipped.  The problem comes in at actually finding the transmission and how much they cost.  Not much cheaper than the T56...  I wish a T5 would work and hold up, but then comes the issue of finding one out of a third gen V8 car for the proper spline count and bellhousing.  I guess it was fun while it lasted, I'm not sure what I'll get next but I do know it'll have three pedals and a lever protruding from the trans tunnel.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 06:35:51 PM by Box »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
That sucks, nothing like paying good money for food poisoning...  If you're not already taking acidophilus you might try grabbing some and taking it to try and get your digestive systems back in whack.

LOL!  Nah man it wasn't food poisoning.  Neither one of us can handle ice cream all that well anymore.  Both of us have had surgeries that have affected the way our bodies digest things.  This was, of course, YEARS ago and we are both fine, but some foods just don't agree with either of us anymore.   I cannot eat bacon anymore.  At All.  It will make me violently ill.  Same with her and orange juice. 

Good thing beer and pizza are not on the "do not eat" list, lol.

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2015, 08:11:47 PM »
You can help support TAC!