Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 709260 times)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
Re: Today I...
« Reply #8200 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »
'88 GT with LS4 and F40 that has a 4th gen Firebird interior, I'm feeling it.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8201 on: August 07, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Pulled the T/A out into the yard and started wet sanding the primer.  It's smoother that a baby's bald head.  I did find a small spot in the middle of the passenger side lower quarter panel. I'm going to block sand it and see if I can work it out without having to spray more primer.  I still have the trunk area and some other small spots that I need to hit but it feels good and smooth. It was getting dark so I couldn't really see much but I have good feel for smooth. I can't wet sand in the shop because the water never dries and I have puddles everywhere as the floor is epoxied. I'll never do that again.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:31:15 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8202 on: August 08, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
Form, youre better off sanding in the dark. You will be able to feel things a lot better than seeing them. I always sand with one hand on the paper the other rubbing along behind.
Charles, I like that fiero. I had an 85 trans am same colour combo. They would've made a good pair.  I thought the GT body made an awesome looking car. I like the 'fastbacks' as well. If I won the lottery I would have an Indy pace car in my garage. Our 85 was a base model, ran great but once you hit above 80mph the front end would get some lift. I often wondered if the GT nose made any difference.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8203 on: August 08, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
The GT was better at not lifting than the base, but it still would lift.  I think in '87-88 they improved the situation further, but it was still a problem.  The best thing I suppose would be to do some kind of front lip or splitter to help keep the front of the car down.  It's just an inherent issue with mid and rear engine cars, though you can sort it with enough downforce and proper direction of airflow.  The '93 MR2 added a front lip/spoiler and then in '98(only in Japan by then) they added speed flaps in the front wheel wells to further reduce front end lift.  You could also do a vented/louvered hood that'd let the air out some versus entirely parachuting, even better if it was designed to help with extracting radiator heat in addition.

That or be like me and never do above the speed limit, and then it's not a problem. :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:50:14 PM by Casey »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8204 on: August 08, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
You could also shift the weight balance towards the front, but short of adding ballast that's not usually an option outside of some instances like in the SW MR2 you can pull weight off the rear via drivetrain swaps.  Ride height, damping rates, and spring rates as well as even the alignment can also help.  Which front end lift isn't mutually exclusive to mid and rear engine cars either, front engine cars like the first gen Z also did such as have other front engine cars but that's the most notorious example in my mind.

Now let's talk about the other aspect that plagues mid and rear engine cars, snap oversteer. :lol:

I still want a SW though, but I'm crazy.

« Reply #8204 on: August 08, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8205 on: August 08, 2019, 06:42:51 PM »
I hate this disease...  My taste is even screwed up right now, I f***ing ruined dinner for two nights...  I quit...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8206 on: August 09, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
Nothing like almost crying over dinner...  Everyone was nice and ate it anyway...  I felt so depressed(not just that, other things) I actually went to bed early as I didn't feel like dealing with the world any longer.  Better again today, woooo emotional roller coasters...  At times I think the hardest part about living is in and of itself.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8207 on: August 09, 2019, 07:44:08 PM »
Ah, just try to find the fun. Gotta have fun!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8208 on: August 09, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
I'm trying, but when I have times that I hate every cell in my body and those stark moments that I know things will never turn out right, it's really hard to.  I know things are better and will continue to get better, but they'll never be where I want them to be...  Such is fate, no matter how hard I try and defy it.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8209 on: August 09, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »
Never give up...Even a frog with its head in a birds mouth can reach out to choke the bird with its front hands

Don't worry...we love you here!!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8210 on: August 09, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »
I won't give up and I won't give in; not anymore.  It's just disheartening to never be able to have what it is you want most, and there are times it just gets to me more than others.  Having constant reminders of such that make me tear up doesn't help either.

Thanks, that means a lot.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #8211 on: August 12, 2019, 12:24:49 PM »
...It's just disheartening to never be able to have what it is you want most, and there are times it just gets to me more than others...

You will be much happier to adjust your wants to what is realistic for your situation

This country has gotten really toxic in the last 35 years in that regard; everybody has to have the newest phone, the most cars, the biggest house etc.   Other parts of the world are not as infected by this sickness.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8212 on: August 12, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
so true...
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8213 on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
"Be happy with what you've got" my dad would always say
 I came from a family of 5 kids and my dad was a school teacher.  We didn't have anything.  I think that's why I appreciate things so much. I am fortunate now as I have good job and my wife has a very successful business. My kids have more things then I ever could have dreamed of. A lot of that is my own desire for things I didn't have. Nothing we have is new but atvs, boats, jetskis, gocarts, the list goes on. We have this stuff because I can build,  fix and barter.  The point is, I think my kids are missing the experience of not having stuff and would be more appreciative then they are.

Like all parents we want our children to have what we couldn't. I'm sure I'll get flamed here though...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8214 on: August 12, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »
...It's just disheartening to never be able to have what it is you want most, and there are times it just gets to me more than others...

You will be much happier to adjust your wants to what is realistic for your situation

This country has gotten really toxic in the last 35 years in that regard; everybody has to have the newest phone, the most cars, the biggest house etc.   Other parts of the world are not as infected by this sickness.

I'm afraid without context my statement is open to too much interpretation.  It's nothing material that I want...  No...  If only it were that easy...  I guess there's no point in dancing around it; it's my inability to have children.  So every time one of the all too frequent reminders comes about it gets to me, and nine out of ten I tear up and am depressed for the rest of the day.  I'm not sure if there's ever adjusting for something you need rather than want.

« Reply #8214 on: August 12, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8215 on: August 13, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
After crying again yesterday I'm ok today, such is life.  Anyway, onto somewhat happier things...

So, after looking at more pictures of the SW MR2 than I probably should I've decided that IF a hardtop/moonroof car with the 5-speed and ISN'T RED happens to show after selling the Firebird I'll give it a go.  Which that still leaves figuring out the cluster of wheels and tires without going to 17's, oh and sourcing a LSD kit, but aside from that should be fine.  I've always liked the SW and have wanted one, but on paper the Miata is better(double wishbone, factory LSD easily found, smaller, lighter, etc...) so I cast it aside.  It's just looking at them though, especially the hardtop with wraparound spoiler, it just speaks to me in a way that the Miata doesn't even though I like how the NB2 looks.  Ugh, no Casey don't buy cars for superficial reasons as that's what landed you in the predicament you're in now.  Plus I think I'll like the "challenge" of driving a MR car without dying, should make driving fun again.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8216 on: August 13, 2019, 04:43:13 PM »
I changed the alternator on my boat today and replaced the trailer lights with led fixtures. When stepping into the shop to get my soldering iron I am still shocked that my TA has paint on it. I giggle like a little girl when I see it. It's a good feeling.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8217 on: August 13, 2019, 05:47:11 PM »
Expecting the paint to peel off or something?  Hey, you weren't in Van Nuys when you painted it were you? :lol:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8218 on: August 13, 2019, 07:39:08 PM »
The last time this was a car and I drove it was 1998. I'm just used to seeing it as a rusted, primered mess.

For those that don't read my thread,  I just sprayed the shell and doors with actual color on Sunday.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:42:30 PM by FormTA »

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8219 on: August 13, 2019, 08:58:59 PM »
^^^ Excellent!

A friend has a 68 Bird ragtop which the 350 has a crack on one of the core plugs.  He bought another 350 engine but the lower right bellhousing mount broke when the seller moved it.  We cleaned up the area, ground a vee and heliarced it back in place with Silicon Bronze today.  Hope it holds for at least 6 months, We should swap out the motor's this weekend.   We found a 400 short block at a friend's in Seattle and will build that.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8220 on: August 13, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »
Gah, the last time you drove it I was six or seven depending on if it was before December or not.  I don't have the patience to keep a car for more than a few years, even if it's working, so good on you for being committed!  I know I've read the thread, but I guess I never commented.  *thinks of witty response to post there*

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8221 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »

I'm afraid without context my statement is open to too much interpretation.  It's nothing material that I want...  No...  If only it were that easy...  I guess there's no point in dancing around it; it's my inability to have children.  So every time one of the all too frequent reminders comes about it gets to me, and nine out of ten I tear up and am depressed for the rest of the day.  I'm not sure if there's ever adjusting for something you need rather than want.

Lots of people who want them, can’t have children. This is not a life destroying issue. Big Sister /Big Brother and Adoption are two options. You can also be a more involved Aunt/Uncle in your own family if there are some nieces or nephews. It takes a village to raise children well, be part of the village.

Stop complaining and wallowing in self pity, look around, go help someone else who has it worse than you. I know if you look, people with real needs and issues  are easy to find. As long as you focus on your own issues, you will never be happy.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8222 on: August 14, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »
Wow, well written/spoken. Great advice. 

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8223 on: August 14, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
Expecting the paint to peel off or something?  Hey, you weren't in Van Nuys when you painted it were you? :lol:

LOL!!!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8224 on: August 14, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »

Lots of people who want them, can’t have children. This is not a life destroying issue. Big Sister /Big Brother and Adoption are two options. You can also be a more involved Aunt/Uncle in your own family if there are some nieces or nephews. It takes a village to raise children well, be part of the village.

Stop complaining and wallowing in self pity, look around, go help someone else who has it worse than you. I know if you look, people with real needs and issues  are easy to find. As long as you focus on your own issues, you will never be happy.
It's not the same, and you wouldn't understand.  NO MAN WOULD UNDERSTAND.  Go and talk to any other woman, bio or trans doesn't matter, that isn't able to have children when that's the one thing they want the most.  To be a mom...  I was more than enough involved with rearing my little brother and sister as it was after my mom became disabled, but now they're in that "leave me alone" teen phase.

Being barren isn't a real issue?  Fibromyalgia isn't a real issue?  Wanting to kill myself every other day BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF isn't a real issue?  Thanks for being a typical male and ruining my day.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8225 on: August 14, 2019, 12:02:00 PM »
You know what, I'm done here.  I don't belong anyway, so whatever.

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8226 on: August 14, 2019, 11:02:22 PM »

It's not the same, and you wouldn't understand.  NO MAN WOULD UNDERSTAND.  Go and talk to any other woman, bio or trans doesn't matter, that isn't able to have children when that's the one thing they want the most.  To be a mom...  I was more than enough involved with rearing my little brother and sister as it was after my mom became disabled, but now they're in that "leave me alone" teen phase.

Being barren isn't a real issue?  Fibromyalgia isn't a real issue?  Wanting to kill myself every other day BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF isn't a real issue?  Thanks for being a typical male and ruining my day.
More self pity like you are the only person in the world who has been wronged.

As afar as I know you are intelligent, able bodied, employed, have a roof over your head and food on the table. You live in a free democracy at a time when its never been better to be transgender. You have access to the best medical in the world and live free to make any decisions you want.

Depending on which studies you choose to compare, you have it better than at least 95% of the population of the whole world, but that is not good enough for you.

As long as you focus on what you can’t have, instead of all you are blessed with and as long as you don’t look around to see if there is someone who has it worst than you that you can help. You will never be happy.

Did you really only come here to vent about your problems and when you don’t get the empathy or sympathy you seek, you’re done.

You think I’m trying to be hurtful, that is not my intention at all. However I can tell you I know you are on a no solution path with all the “poor me, look at me I’ve been dealt a bad hand” crap.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8227 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:49 AM »

More self pity like you are the only person in the world who has been wronged.

As afar as I know you are intelligent, able bodied, employed, have a roof over your head and food on the table. You live in a free democracy at a time when its never been better to be transgender. You have access to the best medical in the world and live free to make any decisions you want.

Depending on which studies you choose to compare, you have it better than at least 95% of the population of the whole world, but that is not good enough for you.

As long as you focus on what you can’t have, instead of all you are blessed with and as long as you don’t look around to see if there is someone who has it worst than you that you can help. You will never be happy.

Did you really only come here to vent about your problems and when you don’t get the empathy or sympathy you seek, you’re done.

You think I’m trying to be hurtful, that is not my intention at all. However I can tell you I know you are on a no solution path with all the “poor me, look at me I’ve been dealt a bad hand” crap.

I don't check this post often as I don't like reading all of the drama... But I agree with Rob, if you think that you have problems just go and visit a pediatric cancer ward. Self pity is the easy way out.   

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8228 on: August 16, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
My neighbors are those kind hearted, do good kinda people. And I mean this in the most sincerest form. Really good people. They have 2 young daughters, and have adopted an orphan from Africa, same age as my 7 yo, and they have an orphan from China that is severely handicapped, in a wheelchair, I think he is about 5 or 6. That little kid is always smiling and laughing about something and very outgoing. I think about him and my problems seem to disappear a bit.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8229 on: August 16, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
I regret my choice of words "real issue" in the past post. It shows my bias in categorizing peoples problems. I did not intend to downplay Casey's issues as much as I intended to point out that others do have it far worse. I hope Casey you can find happiness, I hope you find a way to forgive your Father (and any others who have hurt you) as harbouring ill feelings toward him only hurts you( like poison in your veins).

But I'm correct in my advise that you need to focus outside yourself and help someone else with their issues, maybe volunteering on a suicide help line or something else that feels right to you.
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8230 on: August 18, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
I was going to go with "REFORGED" but snapped up this the other day:

the "USA' part is because a lot of dolts don't realize NM is an actual state...

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8231 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:05 AM »
I thought that New Mexico was just the newest part of Mexico... Huh, ya learned me something new... (That be sarcasm for those born yesterday). :-D

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8232 on: August 19, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
Nice plate, guess theres not that many Pontiac guys in NM.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
« Reply #8233 on: August 19, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »
no, mostly Challys and Mustangs - but I wonder if others thought there was no way in hell that plate would be available; the MVD gal was quite surprised too!

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8234 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:15 PM »
Lucky Dog
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8235 on: September 02, 2019, 04:41:39 PM »
Got some color on a few engine today.

70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8236 on: September 02, 2019, 07:25:43 PM »

omg by R J, on Flickr

1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #8237 on: September 03, 2019, 05:19:44 AM »

Garage art? Do they have homes?

Regards, Jack

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8238 on: September 03, 2019, 08:21:20 AM »

COMMON!!!!!

they look beautiful!!!!!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8239 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »

Garage art? Do they have homes?

The one in the middle doesn't... yet. I've been toying with the idea of putting it in my 71. Maybe over the winter.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

« Reply #8239 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:04 AM »
You can help support TAC!