Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 698001 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #8080 on: July 19, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
I have said before, and will say again, I am not a Corvette guy, but I just saw a promo on the 2020 model. That thing is BAD!!!! I need to start saving my pennies.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #8081 on: July 19, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
I want to like the C8 Corvette, but THEY FORGOT THE MANUAL. :-x

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8082 on: July 19, 2019, 07:58:17 PM »
Apparently the first article I found was wrong, it has an 8-speed dual clutch manual with automatic control or manual control mode.  So it's like the 4C.  Meh...  I guess that's better than being a torque converter automatic, but still...  Oh well, doesn't really matter not like I'm shopping for $60K cars anyway.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #8083 on: July 19, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »
Casey, you don't even have 6500 posts.  Step up your game  :cool:

(lets see if he understood that...)
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8084 on: July 19, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »

He doesn't understand anything for he is dead.

« Reply #8084 on: July 19, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8085 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:26 AM »

I'm confused?  Is that a line from a movie?

I was referring to the point that you are very active on this forum (as are a select few others) yet your post count seems low.  Hell, mine is even worse!

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8086 on: July 20, 2019, 05:47:45 AM »
I feel I'm on here all the time and mine is half that. I do edit my posts if I have another comment instead of just making another post so I'm sure that drives it down a little.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8087 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »

I'm confused?  Is that a line from a movie?

I was referring to the point that you are very active on this forum (as are a select few others) yet your post count seems low.  Hell, mine is even worse!

She not He, He died with Box, but my first guess was a new name was in the works.

Still an easy mistake to make since nobody has actually met anyone before.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 09:08:40 AM by nas t eh »
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8088 on: July 20, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
^Correct on the first part.  I've been blocking testosterone for almost 4 months and loaded up on estrogen for almost 3 months now.  Sure technically I'll always have a Y chromosome much to my dismay, but you do the best with what you're given.  By the way I can't begin to tell you how convenient having an unisex name like Casey is, makes things much less awkward than it could be otherwise. :lol:  It's like my mom knew or something; then again she also put me into dresses upon the suggestion of strangers that I'd make a pretty girl, and I did win a beauty pageant as a young child so they're probably right. :P

Also DeCaff I try and keep superfluous posts to a minimum these days, plus all the times I disappeared for months at a time.  If you want I can spam all your threads.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:12:59 PM by Casey »

T/A Daddy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8089 on: July 20, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
Lol, Been a member here since 2013 , and only 40 something post ?? Yikes !! - Got plenty to post about just  haven't! And I'm on the site everyday!  :???: Maybe  I'll break into triple digits before 8 or so more years!  :???:

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8090 on: July 20, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
Nothing to do with Casey being a young women here but we did start to clean out the basement of the house, moving all the shop like stuff out to the garage in order to set up for the electrician who is coming Monday to start wiring up the garage and the house. The house is getting 200 amp service, 100 of which is being routed out to the shop/garage!!

Going to be back at her tomorrow...Anyone wanna come to Northern Ontario to help?...lol...leave now for most of you!!!
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(18 years and counting but still have her)

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #8091 on: July 20, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
North Ontario? Have you guys entered your 15 minutes of summer yet?  :lol: 

Today I almost passed out when I opened my shed. It's over 90* in MA right now and the whoosh of hot air from the shed almost put me down.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:30:50 PM by Ford5of5 »

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8092 on: July 20, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
North Ontario? Have you guys entered your 15 minutes of summer yet?  :lol: 

hahahah...almost...Today it went to 32 degrees C!!
Charlie

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8093 on: July 20, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Ya, what a great year to have a pool. This was the first time I spent some time in it. It got close to 100°

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8094 on: July 20, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
I gave up on pools when I realized I spent more time maintaining them than using them.  :lol: Others that I know with pools always hit me with the Tom Sawyer treatment: "cleaning it is part of the enjoyment". No thanks, LOL.

I don't understand the weather reports anymore. Today's temp was 92 but the "real feel" temp was 102*. The weather-person should just say that Massachusetts is gonna feel like the outskirts of Hell...or Tucson. :lol:

« Reply #8094 on: July 20, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8095 on: July 20, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
We don't really spend much time on maintaining/cleaning. I have an auto coordinator and the wife will vac it once and a while.  Spring cleaning is the toughest. It's like every other year we really get to use it. Last year I never got in it... My kids are in it everyday so at least we get our money's worth.

Storms are rolling in now. Cooling off.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:27:42 PM by FormTA »

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8096 on: July 20, 2019, 06:32:30 PM »
I had a pool at my last house of about 15 years. It ran along a property line with town forest with tall trees. I was ALWAYS fighting algae, leaves and pine needles. You're right though, the kids loved it; my doberman loved it even more. The occasional drowned woodland creature sometimes kept them out of it for a day, sometimes.

Beautiful property, FormTA.

Nexus

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8097 on: July 20, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
We don't really spend much time on maintaining/cleaning. I have an auto coordinator and the wife will vac it once and a while.  Spring cleaning is the toughest. It's like every other year we really get to use it. Last year I never got in it... My kids are in it everyday so at least we get our money's worth.

Holy Sh$$...that's a nice looking pool...bellow ground pools need to be bomb proof in this area because the frost just loves heave them!!

my past life, I had an above ground pool...my kids still get to use it though so that makes it bearable...besides...As shown in my wedding photos, I have access to a river any time I want and it self cleans!!   
Charlie

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #8098 on: July 20, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
All this talk of pools is making me wish we had one now.  I prefer warmer weather but not this humid stuff we are dealing with in Missouri (pronounced "MISERY" today).  Its currently 91 with a heat index of 110 at 7:50 pm CDT. The breeze we do have feels like a blast furnace and I would love a pool right now lol.  I was planning on going to a cruise night this evening but it with no cold AC in the GTA, it would be a miserable drive.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8099 on: July 20, 2019, 07:02:09 PM »
All this talk of pools is making me wish we had one now.  I prefer warmer weather but not this humid stuff we are dealing with in Missouri (pronounced "MISERY" today).  Its currently 91 with a heat index of 110 at 7:50 pm CDT. The breeze we do have feels like a blast furnace and I would love a pool right now lol.  I was planning on going to a cruise night this evening but it with no cold AC in the GTA, it would be a miserable drive.

Just depends how bad you want it lol. I drove my 77 to a cruise in last night with no A/C only to find out they’d cancelled it cause of the heat. Went for a 45 minute ride instead. Not unbearable but I think I’m gonna finally sort out the A/C wiring I have left and try to get it running again.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8100 on: July 20, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »
I love swimming, but I rarely do it since it's such a b**** on hair.  Not only is the chlorine terrible for it and dry it out, but then there're all the tangles.  #BeautifulProblems

Hmmm, I wonder if they make swim caps specifically for ultra long hair though I imagine they'd look pretty daft if they do. :lol:  I still need to figure out something for dropping the top in the Miata, like maybe some kind of wind scarf.  Hey then I can be like Thelma and Louise, but hopefully without the police chase and driving off into the Grand Canyon.

Oh look at that 6,500 posts, happy now DeCaff? :P

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8101 on: July 20, 2019, 07:12:46 PM »

Ah, so I'm not the only one.  I have AC and a fan blowing on me.  Cripes its hot......

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8102 on: July 20, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »

Just depends how bad you want it lol. I drove my 77 to a cruise in last night with no A/C only to find out they’d cancelled it cause of the heat. Went for a 45 minute ride instead. Not unbearable but I think I’m gonna finally sort out the A/C wiring I have left and try to get it running again.

I wanted to go pretty bad because this is one of my favorite ones to go to, but there was no way my co-pilot would ride with me and sit out in it today. She is usually a good sport when it comes to cruising without the AC but not today lol.  Ive still got the R12 set up on mine and dont want to convert it over nor do i really want to pay the asking price for R12 if I could even find it lol.

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8103 on: July 20, 2019, 10:51:43 PM »
I've heard of using 409a in R-12 systems, might check that out as well as looking into Duracool 12a.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8104 on: July 20, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »

I wanted to go pretty bad because this is one of my favorite ones to go to, but there was no way my co-pilot would ride with me and sit out in it today. She is usually a good sport when it comes to cruising without the AC but not today lol.  Ive still got the R12 set up on mine and dont want to convert it over nor do i really want to pay the asking price for R12 if I could even find it lol.

Yep I totally get that lol. Mine likes shows and cruise ins but not one bit of the heat. She’ll go in early spring and early fall. She doesn’t like what it’s gonna cost me to add air back to my car but I’m sure she’ll like it when it’s there.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8105 on: July 20, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »
Hey, we don't spend 2 hours doing our hair and face just for it to get ruined from sweating because of no A/C.  Actually I don't do makeup(well, full on anyway but eyeliner and shadow is cool at least), but I certainly don't spend an hour doing my hair for it to get ruined from me sweating because of no A/C. :lol:  A/C is love, A/C is life.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:14:49 PM by Casey »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8106 on: July 21, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8107 on: July 21, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »
Ive skipped the last couple of car cruises because of the heat. No desire to sit out in 100deg. if I don't have to. Its bad enough to work in it. A/C not hooked up in my car, and with the heat loop thing that blows hot into the pass. footwell all of the time,my cars nor real comfy above 80.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8108 on: July 21, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
Nice looking pool Form. We had an above ground at our last house. Kids were young and we got a lot of use out of it. I am in the woods now, so the sun doesn't beat down too bad plus I wouldn't want to try to keep one clean in this environment. My sister has one a couple of miles down the road we can use anytime, wifes best friend has one down the road a mile or so that we can use, and my brother has one a mile or so away that we are not welcome at. We can pretty much swim when we want but we don't. I think I went once last year. Had a pool when I was a kid and I lived in that thing. My nickname was tadpole.
I am finishing up a poolhouse for a customer right now that cost more than the average house! They started a new pool project last spring(2018) which is still unfinished. The pool guys work for 2 days and disappear for 2 months. At the rate they are going it may be finished by October. To say they are unhappy is an understatement. Especially considering the cost involved!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8109 on: July 21, 2019, 07:57:34 AM »

Holy Sh$$...that's a nice looking pool...bellow ground pools need to be bomb proof in this area because the frost just loves heave them!!

my past life, I had an above ground pool...my kids still get to use it though so that makes it bearable...besides...As shown in my wedding photos, I have access to a river any time I want and it self cleans!!

Thanks. I had the pool installed but I did the electrical, plumbing and had a friend do the concrete so I saved a lot. Most average pools costs are similar to a new luxury car but I did ours for about half. That was 8 years ago.

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8110 on: July 21, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »
I gave up on pools when I realized I spent more time maintaining them than using them.  :lol: Others that I know with pools always hit me with the Tom Sawyer treatment: "cleaning it is part of the enjoyment". No thanks, LOL.

I don't understand the weather reports anymore. Today's temp was 92 but the "real feel" temp was 102*. The weather-person should just say that Massachusetts is gonna feel like the outskirts of Hell...or Tucson. :lol:

We Yankees aren't made for this heat.
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
79 Trans Am SE 301 4 Speed
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8111 on: July 21, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »

What about this stuff. Used it once on a friend's dodge Dakota with r12.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12a-Refrigerant-18-oz-Equivalent-1-can-R12-replacement-R12a-FROSTY-COOL-/273512620983?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Hmmm........

I knew there was some compatible stuff out there that didnt require a bunch of modificatuons, but I dont recall if I've checked this out yet. Ive also heard horror stories about the "compatible" stuff wreaking havoc and even starting fires under the hood.....yikes!!

Thank you for the link.  I will contact the seller and see.what all he says and if he's got any references. Thats actually a good price.

Reagan

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #8112 on: July 21, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
Yesterday had a friend's 78 Y88 4 speed up on the lift to inspect.  We were greeted by a broken rear sway bar.
 I happened to have a spare in the shop and we quickly replaced it.  We also noted how tight it fit, and how it rubbed against the leaf lower retainer plate.  No doubt this was the cause of the failure of the bar.  We daubed some grease as a stop gap but future work will involve radiusing the edge, perhaps a visit to the end mill to remove a hundred thou.

I wonder if there was an error during production bending these bars?

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8113 on: July 21, 2019, 03:22:19 PM »

What about this stuff. Used it once on a friend's dodge Dakota with r12.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12a-Refrigerant-18-oz-Equivalent-1-can-R12-replacement-R12a-FROSTY-COOL-/273512620983?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Hmmm........

I knew there was some compatible stuff out there that didnt require a bunch of modificatuons, but I dont recall if I've checked this out yet. Ive also heard horror stories about the "compatible" stuff wreaking havoc and even starting fires under the hood.....yikes!!

Thank you for the link.  I will contact the seller and see.what all he says and if he's got any references. Thats actually a good price.
Looks like a variant of Duracool.  From my understanding 12a is a direct replacement for 134a and R-12 after pulling out either from the system, the only thing with R-12 is you'll need to change your low and high side ports.  Allegedly 12a is more efficient than 134a while being cooler than R-12 with pressure levels similar to R-12, so the best of both worlds.  Unlike R134a that's hydrofluorocarbon and R-12 that's chlorofluorocarbon the 12a is hydrocarbon, so it'll mix with any remaining mineral oil of R-12 or PAG oil of R134a.  Oh and the molecule size is bigger than R-12 even, so it'll stop or lessen leaks in either.  It also takes less of it to charge the system, especially in comparison to R134a.  So next time I need to recharge a system I'm definitely looking to use 12a, cause cold A/C is life.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8114 on: July 21, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »
Yesterday had a friend's 78 Y88 4 speed up on the lift to inspect.  We were greeted by a broken rear sway bar.
 I happened to have a spare in the shop and we quickly replaced it.  We also noted how tight it fit, and how it rubbed against the leaf lower retainer plate.  No doubt this was the cause of the failure of the bar.  We daubed some grease as a stop gap but future work will involve radiusing the edge, perhaps a visit to the end mill to remove a hundred thou.

I wonder if there was an error during production bending these bars?

I'm going to be an elitist snob and say it wouldn't surprise me that an American car of that time would have such a flaw from the factory.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8115 on: July 21, 2019, 07:42:39 PM »
Today I worked on my Firebird. It's been almost 2 years since I've worked on it!

About 88-89 F here today here today in beautiful S FL.  Always seems kinda weird that it's cooler here than most everywhere North of here this time of year.

John Paige
Lab-14.com

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8116 on: July 21, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
^I always like seeing posts from you on your car, that and skisix.  Definitely the most interesting projects here in terms of second gens, to me anyway, but I'm all into making things better and improving them with no f***s given to originality.  The more of a track car the better, I always say.  Well, until it comes to removing A/C as that's where I draw the line. :lol:

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8117 on: July 21, 2019, 08:17:09 PM »
Not A TA is out resident Mr. Wizard...or Dr. Evil. What I like most about the mods he posts is that they are so far over my head I don't even have to consider trying them on my car.  :shock: :lol: Still love to see them though. Very much enjoyed the aerodynamic testing too.

NOT A TA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8118 on: July 21, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »
^I always like seeing posts from you on your car, that and skisix.  Definitely the most interesting projects here in terms of second gens, to me anyway, but I'm all into making things better and improving them with no f***s given to originality.  The more of a track car the better, I always say.  Well, until it comes to removing A/C as that's where I draw the line. :lol:

The Firebird's AC is long gone and now that I live in S FL no more heat needed either so I completely removed all HVAC during this resto go round.  You'd think living here and having grown up & lived in New England most of my life AC would be mandatory but I don't even use it in daily drivers. I've always liked warm weather and driven with windows down or the tops down in the convertibles. If I lived where the heat & humidity are stifling in summer I'd probably use the AC but here I don't need it for my travels. Sometimes if I have passengers I'll run the AC because I know they woulds in their own cars. Several people have asked me why I don't fix the AC in my truck they see me driving knowing I work on cars. Then I tell them it doesn't need fixing and they give me a funny look like "Why would you drive without using AC?". hahaha  I have worn out the power window regulators in my truck though so gonna have to replace them soon.
John Paige
Lab-14.com

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8119 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »
Today I worked on my Firebird. It's been almost 2 years since I've worked on it!

About 88-89 F here today here today in beautiful S FL.  Always seems kinda weird that it's cooler here than most everywhere North of here this time of year.

I can't tell you how many times I referred to your build thread when I first started my restoration 3 years ago - pretty inspiring.  Glad to see you at it again.
Gene

« Reply #8119 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:26 PM »
You can help support TAC!