Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 735545 times)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7600 on: May 03, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »
DeCaff, what are you getting for your MPG? My DD 03 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 was getting around 14-15 mpg. Then my new 2000 K2500 Silverado was getting around 11.5-12 when I first got it, but then swapped to a synthetic oil, new catalytic converters, and 05+ Silverado eFan update and it got 13.8 mpg last fill up.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7601 on: May 03, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »
I get 15-16 with my '12 RAM. My buddy has the same truck but a year newer with the 8 speed and he says he can 20 - 21.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7602 on: May 03, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »
My 06 f 150 4wd gets about 16mpg.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7603 on: May 03, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
OK, I never claimed to be the sharpest chisel in the tool box, but this one even had me laughing. I was in the shop cleaning and prepping parts for paint. On the backside of one of the pieces written in silver ink marker (which I thought was pretty cool seeing an original marking) was R. Spriler. I figured the guy who put the piece on gave it his John Hancock. Then after a few minutes I realized it was a marking for 'Right Spoiler", duh. LOL
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #7604 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
OK, I never claimed to be the sharpest chisel in the tool box, but this one even had me laughing. I was in the shop cleaning and prepping parts for paint. On the backside of one of the pieces written in silver ink marker (which I thought was pretty cool seeing an original marking) was R. Spriler. I figured the guy who put the piece on gave it his John Hancock. Then after a few minutes I realized it was a marking for 'Right Spoiler", duh. LOL

LOL make sure the shop is properly ventilated when cleaning and prepping parts!
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

« Reply #7604 on: May 03, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7605 on: May 03, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
You know, that may be one of my problems..Banging head
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:36:02 PM by FormTA »

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #7606 on: May 03, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
Hmmm, I should start making all of my posts like this to show off my uniqueness. :lol:Seriously though that'd get tiresome fast.  When I was driving the Firebird so long as I did highway driving I'd get upper 20's low 30's out of it, any city mileage would kill it though.  Only doing highway the Firebird does as well or better than the Miata sadly, though the Miata makes up for it in the city.  Which around here it's small stretches of highway with mostly city type driving.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #7607 on: May 04, 2019, 05:44:31 AM »
DeCaff, what are you getting for your MPG? My DD 03 Silverado 1500 with 5.3 was getting around 14-15 mpg. Then my new 2000 K2500 Silverado was getting around 11.5-12 when I first got it, but then swapped to a synthetic oil, new catalytic converters, and 05+ Silverado eFan update and it got 13.8 mpg last fill up.

What the HELL is an eFan update?  Oh wait.... are you saying convert from clutch fan to electric fan?  I already have electric fans.  I was actually contemplating converting BACK to a clutch fan just because it looks more retro.  Then I thought Oh, wait.....

MPG?  Probably right around 15 like you said.  I use nothing but Mobile 1 in my junk.

Box.... you are too funny.

Don't use a truck as a daily driver?  Fuel isn't even expensive at the moment, or at least around here anyway.  Also good to see you again, I was thinking about you earlier actually not having seen from you in awhile.

LOL. Fuel is always ridiculously expensive.  It's on my top 5 list of things that should be free.  I'll get into that in another thread.

Yeah Box my friend, I'm here.  I was actually thinking that exact same thing - that you haven't been around lately.

In other news.  Today I...  am quite happy with myself.  The woman and I found our way to upstate NY yesterday to pick a Ram Air hood for the T/A  :D :D  I still fail to see the difference in RA vs. Formy hoods for 74 - 76.  You all can call it a Formy, I'll call it RA.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7608 on: May 04, 2019, 10:12:35 AM »
76 Formula hood is a 1 year only hood and looks quite different from the 70-75 Formula hood. True 70 Formula hood is unique from the other four years as it is missing some bracing added later to help prevent bowing up in the middle.

Ram Air on the 70-75 Formula hood just has the scoops cut open with a mesh screen covering them and the rubber boots attached inside to match up with the air cleaner intakes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:17:38 AM by nas t eh »
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7609 on: May 04, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »
I'll be around from here on out.  Besides when fuel is $2.50 or less a gallon it's cheaper than it ever has, or no more expensive at least, when taking inflation into account.  I think $2-2.50 a gallon is more than fair, when taking into consideration it's a limited resource and the cost and hassle of obtaining, refining, and transporting it.  Besides, what we pay is a fraction compared to most of the world.  Once you get the Celebrity up and running it should get decent mileage, at least compared to the truck anyway.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7610 on: May 04, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
If only I had my phone on me to take a picture.  Was a later model Silverado at Taco Bell that had dubs with stretched(and bald too...) tires with a crappy HID conversion, best of all the rear bumper was bent upwards and out from what I could only guess was slinging a tire that blew from the aforementioned.  Oh and everything was Plasti-Dipped.  Typical white f**k boi.  I can't remember the last time I saw a riced out import lately, but trucks like that are everywhere these days.  The only thing missing to make it perfect would've been some of those disgusting metal gonads that guys are so crazy about putting on their trucks... :roll:

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7611 on: May 05, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »
So was perusing Rock Auto planning out parts to get for the Miata once one is obtained and came across these: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/ruthenium-hx

Allegedly the ruthenium gives a longer life than iridium but a better ignition than copper, plus the box is purple so that alone sold me.  Seems like NGK is the only one with a ruthenium plug at the moment, but they just released them in November or December of last year.  Curious, it'd be nice to have such a "holy grail" of plugs.  Being iridium was an improvement in life and ignition over platinum, it seems feasible that this ruthenium could do the same over iridium anyway.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7612 on: May 05, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »
I'll be around from here on out.  Besides when fuel is $2.50 or less a gallon it's cheaper than it ever has, or no more expensive at least, when taking inflation into account.  I think $2-2.50 a gallon is more than fair, when taking into consideration it's a limited resource and the cost and hassle of obtaining, refining, and transporting it.  Besides, what we pay is a fraction compared to most of the world.  Once you get the Celebrity up and running it should get decent mileage, at least compared to the truck anyway.

Yeah....  uhm, about that....  I ended up having to junk that car.  For the difficulty in getting parts, the amount of bodywork it needed, and nobody would inspect it - I put it on CL for $500....  $400....  $250..... No serious takers once they saw the rusted doors and the electrical issues.

It was a shame, but I needed to stop dumping money into it.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7613 on: May 05, 2019, 08:50:35 PM »
Aww, that is a shame actually as it didn't look bad from the pics.  Here since that's the case and it sounds like you need a better daily, seriously consider getting something like a Celica.  They're under valued and the boy racers tend to stay away from them for whatever reason, they're sporty and fun to drive while still being reliable and efficient.  Especially if they're a stick shift, then nobody wants them which is good for people like us.  They're great cars, if I needed something FWD for up north Winter driving I'd definitely get another.  I was getting mid-upper 30's out of mine on 87, not much else out there can do that with the same level of style, fun, affordability, and usability as a car.  If you drive the 15,000 mile a year average or more it'd pay for itself in just a year just with fuel savings.  That or if you're wanting a domestic try and find a Saturn SC2, those Saturns were the best domestic eco cars.

Garry

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7614 on: May 06, 2019, 04:23:37 AM »
This is going to sound really stupid but today I realized Box is a female  :-)

« Reply #7614 on: May 06, 2019, 04:23:37 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7615 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
Aww, that is a shame actually as it didn't look bad from the pics.  Here since that's the case and it sounds like you need a better daily, seriously consider getting something like a Celica.  They're under valued and the boy racers tend to stay away from them for whatever reason, they're sporty and fun to drive while still being reliable and efficient.  Especially if they're a stick shift, then nobody wants them which is good for people like us.  They're great cars, if I needed something FWD for up north Winter driving I'd definitely get another.  I was getting mid-upper 30's out of mine on 87, not much else out there can do that with the same level of style, fun, affordability, and usability as a car.  If you drive the 15,000 mile a year average or more it'd pay for itself in just a year just with fuel savings.  That or if you're wanting a domestic try and find a Saturn SC2, those Saturns were the best domestic eco cars.

Oddly enough, I was contemplating getting another Camry.  I'd prefer a V6 for the power, but the 4 banger is a better chance of being a stick, and it has better MPG.

Also, Box, I've owned enough Saturns in my life that cannot count them on two hands.  I've never had the pleasure of owning an SC2 5-speed, though.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7616 on: May 06, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
Today I'm getting my Camaro inspected after work! Can't wait to get some real road miles on it! :cool:

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7617 on: May 06, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »
Hope things go well and you get your tags. I think its crazy (not complaining though) but in MD there is no inspection needed  for an antique/classic car.  We dont have yearly inspections either but a used car does need it one time only to get tags. I thought is was kind of funny that my YOM tags had to be inspected by the dmv (for condition and reflectivity) but my car didn't!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7618 on: May 06, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »
Hope things go well and you get your tags. I think its crazy (not complaining though) but in MD there is no inspection needed  for an antique/classic car.  We dont have yearly inspections either but a used car does need it one time only to get tags. I thought is was kind of funny that my YOM tags had to be inspected by the dmv (for condition and reflectivity) but my car didn't!

Missouri is very similar.  That's why I'm switching the GTA over to historic tags.  Not that it wouldn't pass a state inspection, but some places really put it under the microscope and "find" things to complain about.

Along the same subject, STILL waiting for my personalized historic tags.  Just to bring everyone up to date...........application submitted at the beginning of February..........approved and check cleared beginning of APRIL.........was told it would be 4-8 weeks for production..........good weather season will be half over by then.........Still have to do this for my son's 90 GP.....and his tags expired 10 months ago lol......and his won't pass an inspection because of a leaky exhaust not worth fixing and he'd have to have everything custom done from the downpipe back lol.  Oh and his GXP, yes the same one I went and got his tags to make it legal,  has a harmonic balancer issue so its parked.  He said its been an issue for a while and its bad enough he doesnt want to drive it.  I give up lol.

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7619 on: May 06, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
Oddly enough, I was contemplating getting another Camry.  I'd prefer a V6 for the power, but the 4 banger is a better chance of being a stick, and it has better MPG.

Also, Box, I've owned enough Saturns in my life that cannot count them on two hands.  I've never had the pleasure of owning an SC2 5-speed, though.
Keep an eye out for the Solara then, it's a more fun and sporty two door Camry.  A little easier to find the V6 5-speed too.  Also if V6 stick is desired then there's the Honda Accord coupe and its fancy Acura CL variant, more common place for them to have that combo over the Toyotas.  The Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 are all V6 and had the option of a stick, they're good cars as well my brother had two(one auto for first car, then stick as second).  The 7th gen Celicas make 140 or 180 hp and get good fuel mileage, that and they weigh 2,400-2,500 pounds so they're not that slow and the 180 hp GT-S would keep up with most of the V6 cars manual vs manual.  Sadly you can probably get a nicer Celica or Maxima for the money versus the Camry or Accord, solely because of name and reputation but at least the Celica and Maxima were actually made in Japan.

Today I'm getting my Camaro inspected after work! Can't wait to get some real road miles on it! :cool:
Woo!  Hope all goes well!

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7620 on: May 07, 2019, 02:40:38 AM »
That or a Toyota Paseo or Mazda MX-3, those are nifty but fairly rare.  Ehh, the Honda Del Sol is pretty nifty too and doesn't seem to get ruined as often as other Hondas and Acuras of the time.  Plenty of sporty eco cars from the 90's and early 00's though to choose from.  If you wanted something fairly new there's the Scion tC which was the replacement for the Celica, and they seem to not cost too much more than the 7th gen Celica for its first few years of production.  I hate to be nostalgic and especially for a time I was only a kid, but that's the one thing about the 90's better than any other time period; the selection of sports cars and sporty coupes was unprecedented.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7621 on: May 07, 2019, 03:03:25 AM »
Along the same subject, STILL waiting for my personalized historic tags.  Just to bring everyone up to date...........application submitted at the beginning of February..........approved and check cleared beginning of APRIL.........was told it would be 4-8 weeks for production..........good weather season will be half over by then.........Still have to do this for my son's 90 GP.....and his tags expired 10 months ago lol......and his won't pass an inspection because of a leaky exhaust not worth fixing and he'd have to have everything custom done from the downpipe back lol.  Oh and his GXP, yes the same one I went and got his tags to make it legal,  has a harmonic balancer issue so its parked.  He said its been an issue for a while and its bad enough he doesnt want to drive it.  I give up lol.
Since you've paid for the tag they should've given you paperwork so that you can drive it while you wait for the tag to arrive.  At least in Alabama anyway you get a printout to put in your rear window until it arrives so just in case you get pulled over for that the officer sees it and then lets you go on your way.  If not then that's kinda bull...

Time for him to sell cars and start over, it's what I seem to do every 1-3 years anyway.  Though I plan to keep the Miata indefinitely, since it's the newest car I can afford or want to own for that matter.  Stupid drive by wire...

djustice

• Active Forum Member
      • ACCK
« Reply #7622 on: May 07, 2019, 06:01:25 AM »
Today i wanted to drive the formula to work....

Nope...

It is may! the last week of april was really hot, like good summer temps, and AC in car was needed when it was baking in the sun, but turn may, nope, we need more winter here it seems :/
1973 Firebird formula 400 W/YC code 455 (73 casting)
6x-8 heads, hyperfuel efi gastank, scorpion 1.5 Roller rockers, holley sniper efi, edelbrock performer inntake, Headman 28150 headers 1 3/4" primary, Pypes SGF11R exhaust, cam unknown, alu radiator w/twin 12" fans. Yukon duragrip posi w/3.42 gears.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7623 on: May 07, 2019, 06:09:09 AM »
I finally got my yard mowed.  It has been raining here every day for weeks. It was 70 Sunday and Monday which dried it out good enough to mow.  I tiled 2 acres a couple years ago which has really helped a bunch. The new engine I installed is awesome! It really chews through the tall grass and trees. Yes I mowed small trees... I mowed 3/4 of my woods and mowed down any saplings in my way. I am not nice to my mower but it has done a great job for 8+ years.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7624 on: May 07, 2019, 06:50:22 AM »
Sounds like me. I have a crap craftsman and the only maintenance is when something breaks. BUT, last time I mowed it is starting to make some really bad noises. Im afraid I may need a replacement soon.

Bill, That stinks about your tags, I kinda agree with Box, that you should have some sort of temp. considering that you have paid your registration fee. When we renew online we get a printout that is good until the hard plate shows up, being a custom tag may be diff. though. Im pretty sure when my wife got them for her car they only took a couple of weeks.

I sure am glad we dont have snow!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7625 on: May 07, 2019, 07:10:05 AM »
Since you've paid for the tag they should've given you paperwork so that you can drive it while you wait for the tag to arrive.  At least in Alabama anyway you get a printout to put in your rear window until it arrives so just in case you get pulled over for that the officer sees it and then lets you go on your way.  If not then that's kinda bull...

Time for him to sell cars and start over, it's what I seem to do every 1-3 years anyway.  Though I plan to keep the Miata indefinitely, since it's the newest car I can afford or want to own for that matter.  Stupid drive by wire...

Well, for my son, since his profession is fixing and working on cars, he's ok with dealing with them.  The 90 GP he's holding off the work because its gonna basically be going into restomod mode once the GXP is back to DD duty.  Plus he is saving for a house.

As for the tags, no temp tags or paperwork verifying the process is offered here that I know of.  The only time you can get temp tags here is when you purchase a new or used vehicle and you aren't transferring your current tags.  Had I known that I would grow old waiting for them, I would have started the process sooner.  As soon as the boy gets new insurance cards for the 90 GP, we'll get the paperwork all filled out and MAILED (can't purchase historic plates online) so it can travel the world for a while before being processed.

Today is our Cars N Kids special interest sale.  Lots of classics and vettes here sitting in the rain............yep, its raining today.  Its not nearly as big of a sale as it used to be 20 years ago, but a portion of the proceeds now go to our local Children's Mercy Hospital, so all good in my book. 

Reagan

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7626 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:14 AM »
Sounds like a good cause. Gonna be sunny and hot today! No rain until Friday. If it does, it will be something like the 20th Friday in a row that it has rained here.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7627 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:05 PM »
Well, for my son, since his profession is fixing and working on cars, he's ok with dealing with them.  The 90 GP he's holding off the work because its gonna basically be going into restomod mode once the GXP is back to DD duty.  Plus he is saving for a house.

As for the tags, no temp tags or paperwork verifying the process is offered here that I know of.  The only time you can get temp tags here is when you purchase a new or used vehicle and you aren't transferring your current tags.  Had I known that I would grow old waiting for them, I would have started the process sooner.  As soon as the boy gets new insurance cards for the 90 GP, we'll get the paperwork all filled out and MAILED (can't purchase historic plates online) so it can travel the world for a while before being processed.

Today is our Cars N Kids special interest sale.  Lots of classics and vettes here sitting in the rain............yep, its raining today.  Its not nearly as big of a sale as it used to be 20 years ago, but a portion of the proceeds now go to our local Children's Mercy Hospital, so all good in my book. 
I can work on cars, I just hate doing it.  Plus these days I really pay for it depending on what it is.  I'm guilty of changing cars out of boredom and/or me being particular. :lol:  This time it's a combination of that and the fibro.  Meh, knowing me I'll get tired of the Miata at some point too but at least then I can tell myself "Hey idiot, it's the newest car you can drive and like so STFU!"

I'll have to put it in the history books then, something Alabama does better.  So long as you're not getting a personalized tag they just grab a plate from the stack and assign it to your car as they hand it to you, only with personalized does it take a couple of weeks to arrive via mail and then they give you a printout to put in your window.

Hope things turn out well!

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7628 on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:19 AM »
Yesterday I got my LeMans back from getting a new convertible top installed. It turned out really great I was very happy about it. Now I plan to start working on the interior and hopefully that will go well. I also started installing the interior on my fiancé's Jeep. It is a pretty typical process but like anything it takes time and patience.
Jim

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Steve B

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7629 on: May 08, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
Very nice looking!
Steve
1980 Trans Am, 400, TH400 auto

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7630 on: May 08, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
I'm not usually a fan of the red, orange, yellow spectrum but that's a nice colour.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7631 on: May 08, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
I like it better without the top.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7632 on: May 08, 2019, 09:15:44 PM »
That's the one downside to most convertibles, they don't look good with the top up.  Even the Miata which was designed as a convertible and only made as a convertible(with exception to the 500 NB coupes in Japan), doesn't look as good with the top up.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7633 on: May 09, 2019, 01:02:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Personally I don’t like having the top up, I prefer to have it down. Even before I started the restoration I rarely put the top up. I chose the orange color because I thought it would be a good in between the copper canyon color from 72 and the orbit orange from the 69 judge. The color is Atomic orange from 07/08 corvettes. Originally I thought I’d go with silver or maybe gold, but I ended up with the orange because I felt it would look better overall.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7634 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:45 AM »
Silver is like black, they're safe and any car looks good in them.  Gold is... well it's of the time and I'll leave it at that. :lol:  I think you made the right choice going with something more bold and unique, plus it's your car and at the end of the day you have to be happy with it.  I will say I feel like I should compel you to pull a Chip Foose on it to shave and tuck the bumpers, would look sooooo good.  Would hate to know how much that'd cost, but it'd look fabulous.  You can't put a price on fabulous. :P

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7635 on: May 09, 2019, 07:33:42 AM »
Silver is like black, they're safe and any car looks good in them.  Gold is... well it's of the time and I'll leave it at that. :lol:  I think you made the right choice going with something more bold and unique, plus it's your car and at the end of the day you have to be happy with it.  I will say I feel like I should compel you to pull a Chip Foose on it to shave and tuck the bumpers, would look sooooo good.  Would hate to know how much that'd cost, but it'd look fabulous.  You can't put a price on fabulous. :P

I'll have to highly disagree with that.  I had an 84 Fiero at one point.  Silver on silver.  A buddy saw me driving one day (he's a hard core Mustang guy) and kind of chuckled at the appearance of my ride, vs his black on red Mustang. 

I parked the car and asked him what was so funny.  He asked me if my car comes in mens colors.

Looking back, I have to agree.  Silver is just a wrong color to paint any car.

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7636 on: May 09, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »
Well that's just because he was a chauvinistic Mustanger and you can't take what they say with any seriousness, he probably jumped a curb into a crowd right after.  It probably didn't matter what colour the Fiero was, he'd have found something to make fun of it for.

Silver accentuates the lines of a car, and short of a car that's just ugly regardless of colour, it's a safe option.  One everyone here should be familiar with:

To me the 10th is the best looking second gen, probably because of the colour scheme.

The Porches all look nice in silver, usually it's their best colour and in particular the first generation Boxster:

Black is a safe because of its absence of colour, it hides a lot.  Well except defects in bodywork, in which case it'll highlight those.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7637 on: May 09, 2019, 03:25:13 PM »
Jim, your car looks great! I love the colour. I think I have made a comment before but my first vehicle (65 F100) was just about the same. Only back then it was an early 70's Cadillac colour called 'Saturn bronze firemist'.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7638 on: May 09, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
Hey DeCaff, you know how to shut up a Mustanger right?  Tell them you like their secretary's car. :lol:

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #7639 on: May 09, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
Silver and grey are really bad colors for visibility in cloudy weather and dusk - I will not own another those colors.

That noted - that orange looks really good!

« Reply #7639 on: May 09, 2019, 05:34:47 PM »
You can help support TAC!