2020-B1-2

Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 837428 times)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Today I...
« Reply #7400 on: March 11, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
Was that a none trans am fender that you converted?

Regards, Jack

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7401 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:58 PM »
No, you have to cut in (paint the area) where the fender vents go before you mount the vents. It impossible to get to once the inner fenders are mounted. You can see I cut in the doors, door jams and inside the fenders too. The body is getting close to its final block sanding and paint.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:11:33 AM by FormTA »
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7402 on: March 12, 2019, 07:08:53 AM »
That's the same way I painted mine, took the vents out and painted behind, did all of the underhood, under trunk, jambs etc in single stage. Then I painted the body as a whole.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I know what I believe.......do you?
« Reply #7403 on: March 12, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »
What is the process for the acceptance of the plates? In MD you fill out the paperwork and they give you the tags on the spot. If you want personalized, they can do a search to see if what you want is available and that too is accepted on the spot. Then it takes about 2 weeks to get them back. Good Luck, hope you get the ones you wanted.
I dont even want to think about yard work. Every spring I get the urge to have the best yard ever, put down whatever and stick with it for about a week LOL, then give up. Fortunately the yard  across the street doesn't look any better or worse than mine so I do look too bad!

Regular historic plates are given on spot here as well........I think.  Personalized historic applications have to be mailed in.  You have to submit so many choices and basically you get what's first available.  Now, you can go into their website and plug in what you want in their non historic personalized plate section and see if its available.  If it is, then its available on the historic side since there can't be the same personalized plate in regular and historic. BIG PAIN, but I've dealt with it before so its just part of the routine here.
91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........41,xxx original miles

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7404 on: March 13, 2019, 06:20:26 AM »
Cleaning out a desk drawer at home and found these. The Kid Rock concert was 2 weeks after Bawitdaba song came out. 20 years ago. Look at those ticket prices! It says all ages, ya right. It was far from that.

« Reply #7404 on: March 13, 2019, 06:20:26 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7405 on: March 13, 2019, 06:53:14 AM »
Nice! That's about the cost I remember back in the day to the few concerts I attended. When I was a senior ('82) a bunch of my buddies got tickets to see the Stones at the Vet stadium in Philly. They cost something like $30 ea.!! At the time I was only a so-so fan and no way I was going to spend that much to see them. Few years ago during bike week in Daytona I was cruising down mainstreet on Friday night and everyone kept stepping out in front of me taking pictures. I was quite perplexed as I am pretty plain jane, driving an ordinary road king. I finally turned around and Kid Rock was riding right behind me.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7406 on: March 13, 2019, 08:32:03 AM »
That's pretty neat.  I've seen him a few times randomly in Toledo and Detroit while at baseball or basketball games.

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7407 on: March 13, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
Not today, but yesterday I got a response from the Missouri DMV concerning my personalized historic plate application.  They told me that if my check has cleared to please send them the transaction number and the date it cleared.  Otherwise, it normally there is a 5 to 7 week turnaround time...................5-7 weeks.  I mailed this 4 weeks ago and the check hasn't come out of the account yet.  Wow.  It was not this drawn out when I got regular personal plates years ago.  Talk about creating job security lol. Guess I will check back with them next week.

"The American dream is not that every man must be level with every other man. The American dream is that every man must be free to become whatever God intends he should become."

Reagan

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #7408 on: March 14, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »
Not today, but yesterday I got a response from the Missouri DMV concerning my personalized historic plate application.  They told me that if my check has cleared to please send them the transaction number and the date it cleared.  Otherwise, it normally there is a 5 to 7 week turnaround time...................5-7 weeks.  I mailed this 4 weeks ago and the check hasn't come out of the account yet.  Wow.  It was not this drawn out when I got regular personal plates years ago.  Talk about creating job security lol. Guess I will check back with them next week.

I'd be moving the Hell out of state.
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7409 on: March 16, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
Wasn't today but Thursday and Friday my pa and I got most of the insulation up in the walls of the garage, and a few weeks back the electrician came in and got all the wiring done, which passed inspection the first go around!!

I need to take some photos and then I'll update the thread on it
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

« Reply #7409 on: March 16, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7410 on: March 16, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »

I'd be moving the Hell out of state.

Our DMVs arent the greatest that's for sure but compared to Kansas DMV, its a cakewalk from what ive heard.  I'm not planning on getting the GTA out for a while anyway (our driveway is a swampy mess from winter) so its not really affecting me directly at this point. Now if I start getting into April and no response, then I will be getting more vocal about it.

Not today but last Thursday we got new granite countertops installed. Wife has been wanting them for a while and the formica we had was looking quite dated. I did the tearout of the old and kept it in one piece so we could donate it to Habitat for Humanity. They were very happy to take it. Hopefully it gets many more years of use from someone.

Reagan

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7411 on: March 17, 2019, 06:40:44 AM »
Yesterday I...  finally got new tires on my truck.  The old ones were so bad to the point where getting uphill on bare asphalt was becoming a challenge. 

Also, my Dad and I spent 3/4 of the day yesterday just trying to put both crank and cam position sensors on that friggin Focus.  The cam sensor wasn't too terribly difficult to access, but the crank sensor gave us a HUGE problem.  First, the catalytic converter should really be removed for proper access.  Then, the sensor BROKE OFF inside the block!@#$%.  After 2 hours of messing with ways to get the remainder of the sensor out of the block, one wrong move with a scribe sent the broken part straight down into the crankcase  :shock: :shock:

After that, we turned the crank by hand to see if it would be ok with that down there.  We were hoping the oil pump filter would catch it.....  what... right DeCaff... because a DOHC Zetec engine has the same setup as an SBP or SBC.  LOL looks like we are tearing the oil pan off   :roll:  It's ok.  The oil pan gasket is leaking like a sieve anyway.

Now, the coup de grĂ¢ce:  https://youtu.be/YQBNTADzyZU

EDIT:  I really, really need to get a better lighting system.

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

GTABill

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7412 on: March 20, 2019, 09:40:58 AM »
Last night, I watched "Hooper" on Blu-Ray.  Actually found it at a Vintage Stock store.  It was new and still had the good wrapping on it.  Figured I'd maybe find it on regular DVD but not Blu-Ray.  Was a good evening..........

Reagan

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7413 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:08 PM »
Last night, I watched "Hooper" on Blu-Ray.  Actually found it at a Vintage Stock store.  It was new and still had the good wrapping on it.  Figured I'd maybe find it on regular DVD but not Blu-Ray.  Was a good evening..........

Nice that's one of my favorite Burt movies.

too bad about Jan-Michael Vincent seems like he had some issues with success...https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jan-michael-vincent-dead-dies-airwolf-1203158399/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:48:11 PM by 76455sd »
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7414 on: March 24, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
Worked on increasing the strength of one of my jet ski lifts. I switched out the 800 lb crank mechanism for a 1200lb one. I also weled every joint and added gussets and beefed up some places. This gave me some seat time with my TIG welder and aluminum.  I am starting to get a little bit better welding aluminum... I think.

Not too bad.

« Reply #7414 on: March 24, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »

2020-B1-8

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7415 on: March 25, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
Those welds look perfect to me. Nice job!
Yesterday whilst working on the car in the barn, my wife comes and says she wants to go for a ride in 'trigger'. Didn't have to tell me twice, lol. Temps were in the 60's, nice n sunny. Took the car out for a couple hour stroll. She calls it the 'tin can' but I think she secretly likes riding in it.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7416 on: March 25, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
If the Woman tells me she wants to go for a ride...  you wouldn't have to tell me twice, either  :lol: :lol:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7417 on: March 25, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
Laid down another 8' of beads on aluminum.  Some good seat time. Used the mill for a couple hours trimming the aluminum to size.

I would lay a bead about 3-4" at a time and then move to another spots. Some are better than others.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7418 on: March 26, 2019, 08:07:29 AM »
What Tig are you using again? The beads look good to me. I've been wanting to get a Tig to mess around with some aluminum welding.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7419 on: March 26, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »
It's and off brand but it gets good reviews and two of the bit YouTube tig guys recommend/use them.

AHP Alpha-TIG 200X. I really like it. I have pretty much only been using it for aluminum as I have 4 other welders i use for steel. I plan to work on TIG welding sheet metal some time too.

I have added the stubby gas lens and I use a TIG finger when doing a lot welding. I bought one of those large argon tanks too it's like 5' tall.

« Reply #7419 on: March 26, 2019, 09:08:29 AM »

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7420 on: April 02, 2019, 01:30:49 PM »
Today I found this really cool picture of an older Chevy/GMC

Screenshot_20190329-073155_Instagram by Charles Marson, on Flickr
Charlie

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #7421 on: April 02, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
For a minute I though you got that truck. Nice pic.

Regards, Jack

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7422 on: April 02, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Wow, nice truck!

Today I... did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, LOL! 

FormTA:  Nice job.  You've got some skills there.  Personally, I took a welding class a few years back and Aluminum TIG was on the curriculum.  IIRC, the concept itself is not overly complicated, but it does take practice to get it right and make it look pretty.  It looks like you've all but mastered the skill.

I'm pretty sure mine looked like this back then, and probably still would today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Welding/comments/3uynu6/trying_my_hand_at_aluminum_tig_dcen/

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7423 on: April 02, 2019, 08:40:20 PM »
I appreciate the kind words but for the most part I think they still look like a hack. I get an inch or two that look good sometimes. I am trying to get a rythm down and can hold one for a bit bit I can't quite get the feed of the filler just right once I use what I have extended. (I'f that makes any sense).

I just thought some might like to see some aluminum welds I was working on. Thanks again guys!

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7424 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:11 AM »
Luke, that Alpha Tig was the one that I was looking at. Although I keep seeing this older miller tig welder on CL near me, but they don't have any contact info listed.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7425 on: April 03, 2019, 11:49:47 AM »
The only complaint I'll have on the whole thing is the foot pedal.  It really is awkward to use and will cramp your foot.  I have a piece of 2x2 sq tube that I rest my heal on an then push down with my toe on the pedal.  I'd love to get a wireless one to replace it. Or at least a normal style one. . Other than that it is pretty awesome.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7426 on: April 03, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
2019-04-03_01-17-23 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
I put this on PY forum, figured I would post it here for those that like this kind of thing. GM motorhome down the road from me. It looks to be in pretty good shape. The history of these things is very interesting if your inclined to do a google search.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7427 on: April 03, 2019, 02:27:44 PM »
I put this on PY forum, figured I would post it here for those that like this kind of thing. GM motorhome down the road from me. It looks to be in pretty good shape. The history of these things is very interesting if your inclined to do a google search.

Is that an EM-50 urban assault vehicle?
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7428 on: April 03, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Indeed, I am pretty sure that's the same type of vehicle they used. It was the first purpose built rv. Had front wheel drive, and a unique air ride system in the rear. It did not have rear axles which with the front drive allowed for a very low centre of gravity.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7429 on: April 03, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
Looks like the air springs went down on that example.   :P :P :P  Which on a 45 year old vehicle is to be expected.  I think they are really well designed and they look great too.  I never had a huge urge to own one, but I wouldn't mind.

These days you could probably make some wonderful improvements to that drivetrain.  I don't know what they weigh, but just based on looks, the front suspension seems to hold up okay.   These days a 2 liter engine has more power than that does, and plus halfshafts cost $49.95.  I had several Toronados back in the day, and they were not real fun to take care of.

I will never forget driving up to Shoeshoe to go skiing around January of 1989, and I passed one that got stuck on an upgrade.  They didn't have a huge percentage of the vehicle weight on the front.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #7429 on: April 03, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7430 on: April 03, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
For a minute I though you got that truck. Nice pic.

It will be in mine one of these days...I was told by my wife to be that the Firebird needed to be put back together first!!
Charlie

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7431 on: April 03, 2019, 10:45:48 PM »
Painted the closeouts again. They look much better.

Have been sanding and filling all of the little nicks and scrapes in the bumper cover. I'm hoping to get some paint on it this weekend.

Still looking for two of these and four good washers.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7432 on: April 04, 2019, 07:03:29 AM »
My 26 yo son is obsessed with the motor home. He read about them on the net, then we spotted this one day whilst driving down the road. Finally stopped by yesterday to take a pic. He wanted to go in the gate and get a closer look and see if it was for sale but we didn't have time. Im afraid if it were in great condition and the price was right he would pull the plug on it. Fortunately he doesn't have a place to park it!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7433 on: April 04, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
My 26 yo son is obsessed with the motor home. He read about them on the net, then we spotted this one day whilst driving down the road. Finally stopped by yesterday to take a pic. He wanted to go in the gate and get a closer look and see if it was for sale but we didn't have time. Im afraid if it were in great condition and the price was right he would pull the plug on it. Fortunately he doesn't have a place to park it!

I realise my RV's aren't motor homes but they are great to have...if your gunna use it. I have a 32 V-Cross RV that get gets used often out at camp. Also my parents have my 31 ft Airstream that I got off my grandfather and I have one more RV that will get the remodel touch. New roof this year, gutted and repurposed as the entertainment trailer. All in good time!!
Charlie

Casey

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Peace is but a shadow of death.
« Reply #7434 on: April 06, 2019, 12:54:35 AM »
Not even sure where to begin this one... which I guess is why I took so long in coming back again.  I figured it was well past due and time to let everyone know that I'm ok, well the Casey that's posting now anyway as the one that was last here is officially dead.  Long story short over the past few months I've been seeing one of the few psychiatrists in the state that specializes in gender, and as of Wednesday this week I've been started on hormone replacement therapy.  It's something that's been long overdue and something I should've addressed over 15 years ago, but I was always too scared of what others might think so I just denied it and tried to convince myself otherwise.  It was something that only got worse over time and culminated in deep relentless depression, self harm, self hate, and failed suicide attempts.  I don't expect anyone to understand it, how could you unless you've at least been through something similar, but I hope everyone can accept it.  I know at the end of the day I'll always be cursed with a Y chromosome and never be who I want to be fully, but I figure it's better to be 80-90% of who I want to be than to be 10-20%(if that) or worse be dead having killed myself.  I was tired of letting it dictate my life and being absolutely miserable and bitter all of the time, and it had gotten to the point I was ready to attempt suicide again so I did something about it finally.  For the first time in at least 15 years I've not been overwhelmingly depressed, which things are still a little rough since literally just having started but at least now I know things are working out for once.  The support of my mom, siblings(my sister more so, though I think she might have ulterior motives), best friend, and psychiatrist have really helped me so far.  Of course dealing with the rest of the family I've yet to figure out how to handle that, but I guess I'll play it by ear at this point.  Which I had kind of blatantly hinted towards this happening before disappearing last time, but this time no beating around the bush at all.  So **** it, that's what's been going on.  Also not like it should matter to anyone or determine how you feel about all of this, but I'm still gynesexual; id est I'm only attracted to bio and trans women as well as overtly feminine males, so meh...  I hope to finally start actually living life and be in a place I can be happy about by the time I'm 30, that's my goal anyway.  Still have regrets on waiting so long, but better late than never I suppose and once things have time to take effect that should go away somewhat.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7435 on: April 06, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »
Glad to hear from you Casey,

You know what, what ever makes you happy.  Glad you're doing something about it and are making yourself happy. I personally have no problem with stuff like this as long as it's not pushed on me. I have had some good friends in similar situations.  Good luck and be the best you, you can be. Make yourself happy,  not others. Good luck, enjoy life.

On a car note. I found  this old picture of me going to prom decades ago with my T/A. I didn't even know this picture existed.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:10:26 PM by FormTA »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7436 on: April 06, 2019, 07:56:33 AM »
Good to have you back, Box!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7437 on: April 06, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
 Good to hear from you after so long. I have been wondering how you were making out. I truly hope you find happiness, it sounds like you have been travelling down a bumpy road for some time now.
Form, that's a pretty cool pic! I borrowed my brother in laws gran torino (which I later bought off of him) to go the prom myself. Back in the day showing up in a cool car was half the battle. Now I guess everyone just rents a limo, which is probably a lot safer and wiser!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7438 on: April 06, 2019, 06:55:37 PM »
First, thanks for posting that "Box". I imagine that took courage to post and glad you are finding happiness and peace for yourself. My guess is the long is road and twisty, but those are the best kinds of roads. Stay strong.

Picture wise, this one is not from prom, but thought was a good one to post. I've told many people that I've been a fan of Trans Am's since I was a young kid watching Smokey and the Bandit...this one proves it. I had my mom paint my big wheel just like a 77 Trans Am!!!

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when you're Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #7439 on: April 06, 2019, 10:42:46 PM »
Today We got the Jeep back from the Paint shop. It turned out really fantastic and it was done in a month as promised! We had the stripes painted on and they really turned out great. Now we just have to put on the exterior stuff and install the new interior. Very Happy with the results!
Jim

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

« Reply #7439 on: April 06, 2019, 10:42:46 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3