Author Topic: Today I...  (Read 597431 times)

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
Re: Today I...
« Reply #5440 on: January 16, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
Would depend on the battery packs used, lithium holds up a lot better than nickel metal hydride and especially lead acid.

1996 Pontiac Firebird Formula hardtop 6-speed

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5441 on: January 16, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »
My kilt was supposed to be delivered today, but then the light dusting of snow shut the state down...  So no kilt, and no snow to play in.  I am sad.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #5442 on: January 16, 2018, 08:00:54 PM »
Boo Hoo Box!  3 inches out there in NEPA, it's still coming down, and everything is business as usual.  I, however, am out there in the 96 Firebird, because I STILL CANNOT FIND A DRIVE SHAFT FOR MY TRUCK....   :evil: :evil:

Nothing like spending $10K for a vehicle, $800 in tires, another $800 fixing the rear, and have it FAIL the night you need the the most! 

Now, the next 17 people who post a link for a BRAND NEW part are going to get told where to go!  DeCaff2007 = Broke at the moment. 
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5443 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »
I mean at least if I had snow to roll around in it'd make up for it, but this is just insult to injury.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5444 on: January 16, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »
Ugh.. Today I... worked a 9 hour shift @ AZ, then came home and tried to get some more work done to the womans Jeep.  While she's away for work I had promised to get some much needed routing maintenance done.  Front wheel bearings (which turned into a ball joint fiasco), oil change, tried to fix a small exhaust leak (having trouble finding parts.  wtf?), fixed the cruise control (THAT took some doing!  Ended up having to replace the frigin throttle body!), and fixed the transmission dipstick tube (believe it or not, I had forgotten to secure the dipstick tube at the top, where the bell housing and block meet on the passenger side... with that ONE single bolt.)  The bolt was there, it just wasn't securing the dipstick tube bracket.  So, I went to loosen it so as to fix the problem.. it was already alarmingly loose!  Not anymore!

I still have to bleed the brakes and probably should bleed the coolant again.  darn thing still has only lukewarm heat when stopped, but HOT heat when moving.

I think I could have a month off, unlimited funding, and still not have that Jeep fixed up like brand new.
The wife's 1999 Honda CRV was doing the same Monday & Tuesday when I drove it for work.
It was prety cold.
15 F to 5 F temps.
I think the heater core is getting plugged up from old antifreeze breaking down.
All standard Auto antifreezes do it.
Long life or Green.
Including factory Euro & Japanese coolants.

Only the Heavy Duty Diesel Antifreezes used in semi trucks & stationary industrial engines have special formulated antifreezes that do not break down.
Some are made to last 1 million miles driving or 20 years.
They are Premixed now.
I was going to replace all my vehicles with Shell Rotella diesel antifreeze last fall.
Was busy & money got tight.
All are filled with Prestone Green univrsal formulation made to last 5 years.
Been in all my cars for 2 years or less the Prestone.
I am seeing Silicon residue in my Corvette Radiator upper Fill.
Its a custom job my Drag Race style in the Upper radiator hose a MOROSO universal T for a radiator cap.

I know from experience only High end diesel antifreeze does not breakdown for at least 10 years or more.
Read online its safe for Auto use too.

You can try back flushing the heater core Decaff with a garden hose.
I have used Liquid Draino also.
It safe on old brass heater cores that hardly exist unless its a Vintage 1955-1981 Pontiac.
Corvettes up to 1996 had Brass heater cores too.
All else are aluminum today.
The Draino will attack the aluminum if left in too long.
about 5 minutes Max.
When you see one side smoking of the heater core with Draino in its time to flush it out with water NOW.
Removes a ton of crap.
Heat is back.

On the Wife's Honda CRV I am going to purchase 1 bottle of EVAPO RUST THERMOCURE.
Leave it in for 1 week.
I know its safe and works very effective 1st hand.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:09:02 PM by 70RAIV455 »

« Reply #5444 on: January 16, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5445 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:07 PM »
Cars that are driven real hard the Antifreeze breaks down fast Premature.
Such is the case of my Corvette.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5446 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
Would depend on the battery packs used, lithium holds up a lot better than nickel metal hydride and especially lead acid.
The Chemistry of each is unique.

Lead Acid batteries will not freeze till its 100 Below Zero F if they are fully charged up.
Your able to charge them even at -100 F as long its not totally dead.

Nickle Hydride batteries are still usefull.
I have a Snap On cordless 1/2 inch impact that is 10 years old with the original Nickle Metal Hyrdride batteries. Both battery packs still work like new and hold and take recharges no problem.

There is a Chemistry Fault with Lithium Ion Batteries.
Its impossible to recharge them when its 32 F & colder.

Tesla electic cars & Semis are useless in the winter here in the Midwest & East coast.
Will leave you stranded in a Blizzard.
Start walking & if a Gasoline or diesel car or truck does not pick you up your going to die soon.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5447 on: January 16, 2018, 09:20:16 PM »
Something I have been thinking about with our temps staying in the teens for the last couple of weeks, how do electric car batteries hold up in extreme cold. My perception has always been that sub freezing temps are hard on batteries.
[/quote

Read above.
Not too Good.

Google & read information from Chemical & Electronic Engineers as I have.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5448 on: January 16, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »
From what I had found lithium and NiMh were to charge at no lower than 32 Fahrenheit, and lead acid could be charged at just right below 0 Fahrenheit.  Still the discharge with lithium is a lot better, so as far as having to use the car in an emergency and recharging not being a concern I'd take my chances with lithium over the others.  Though that does bring up a huge downfall for electric cars, since most of the world has to deal with below freezing at some point or another.  Though I guess in theory you could have battery warmers that keep that from being a problem, but then you're losing range and how long you can go without charging just to keep the batteries warm.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5449 on: January 17, 2018, 01:29:41 AM »
Sigh... and the crushing depression where I feel like ending it all is back...  My brain is back to burning and it feels like I'm underwater.  It's like a roller coaster, but in your head, and you go from the highest highs to the lowest lows and you're never in between for long.  That and the roller coaster is never the same and you never know what to expect.  Maybe I should see if therapy is covered by insurance, but I don't want to be labeled.  I'm fairly certain I'm bi-polar, but that's my business and the internet's.  Probably nothing will work anyway, I was on anti-depressants at one point through my general practitioner and they did nothing.  It's like... meh...  I'm tired of crap never doing anything...

nas t eh

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5450 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:35 AM »
Uuhmm..? You missed Blue Monday by a couple days. Blue Wednesday maybe?
current
73 T/A 4speed
past birds
75 T/A 455 4speed
75 T/A 400 4speed

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5451 on: January 17, 2018, 02:46:30 AM »
My mind doesn't follow any kind of schedule it seems, just happens whenever.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5452 on: January 17, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
Sigh... and the crushing depression where I feel like ending it all is back...  My brain is back to burning and it feels like I'm underwater.  It's like a roller coaster, but in your head, and you go from the highest highs to the lowest lows and you're never in between for long.  That and the roller coaster is never the same and you never know what to expect.  Maybe I should see if therapy is covered by insurance, but I don't want to be labeled.  I'm fairly certain I'm bi-polar, but that's my business and the internet's.  Probably nothing will work anyway, I was on anti-depressants at one point through my general practitioner and they did nothing.  It's like... meh...  I'm tired of crap never doing anything...
You don't want to be labeled Box.
We all know & like You as is.
Its just the winter time Blues.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5453 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »
From what I had found lithium and NiMh were to charge at no lower than 32 Fahrenheit, and lead acid could be charged at just right below 0 Fahrenheit.  Still the discharge with lithium is a lot better, so as far as having to use the car in an emergency and recharging not being a concern I'd take my chances with lithium over the others.  Though that does bring up a huge downfall for electric cars, since most of the world has to deal with below freezing at some point or another.  Though I guess in theory you could have battery warmers that keep that from being a problem, but then you're losing range and how long you can go without charging just to keep the batteries warm.
They are going to need to be Hybrid cars yet for the Midwest & the East Coast.
I have charged batteries- Lead Acid & AGM spiral Red Top Optimas here outside when its been -10F & Colder outside in the cars.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5454 on: January 17, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
I can not get the 1963 Pontiac started this morning.
Got another tank of bad E10 Gas.
The Winter blends are very inconsistent for cars with carburetors.

Popped a few times and almost took off.
About 2 F outside here.

The Holley 770 Electric Choke I do not like either.
Not calibrated right the Bi Metal spring inside that works the choke.
Its adjustable and I have fiddled with it trying to adjust.
Its fine warmer temps 32 F & above.

I know why now All Holley carb equipped Mopars used Pull Choke cables along with Covettes with Holley 4-bbl Carburetors.
Only reliable way is to set the choke manually yourself in below weather zero weather startups.

« Reply #5454 on: January 17, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5455 on: January 17, 2018, 09:15:13 AM »
Box, I feel for you, I really do.  Winter weather cannot be helping your dilemma. 

I got a call about a drive shaft this morning.  I got super excited!  Well, I brought my old one along to compare and it's not correct  :(

The new one is too short and too fat.  The same guy suggested I try a local shop that specialized in truck parts.  Yeah, they have what I need, to the tune $225 (that includes u-joints and the slip yoke).  NO!@#$

Junkyard price for that same thing is $60+ tax (but GOOD LUCK finding one).  Where do people come off with these ridiculous prices???

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5456 on: January 17, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
Box, I feel for you, I really do.  Winter weather cannot be helping your dilemma. 

I got a call about a drive shaft this morning.  I got super excited!  Well, I brought my old one along to compare and it's not correct  :(

The new one is too short and too fat.  The same guy suggested I try a local shop that specialized in truck parts.  Yeah, they have what I need, to the tune $225 (that includes u-joints and the slip yoke).  NO!@#$

Junkyard price for that same thing is $60+ tax (but GOOD LUCK finding one).  Where do people come off with these ridiculous prices???

Its shop labor factored in Decaff .
Plus cost of materials.

Shop Rates are at least $80 per hour everywhere.
They are $95-130 per hour here.
High End Euro car dealers are over $200 per hour.

If you work for $20-40 per hour shop rate you likely wont be in business long.
Can not pay the bills.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5457 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »

Sucks being broke.
I know.

When its warm out finding and doing sidejobs is easier.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5458 on: January 17, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »

Plus cost of materials.

Can not pay the bills.

It takes 10 mins to remove a driveshaft.  That hardly justifies the cost of an hour of work. 

Materials to remove said part:  7/16ths wrench, maybe a crowbar. 

Again, I don't see any reason for it to be so expensive.

Even though I am still paying on it, I'm debating selling this truck IF I can ever get it fixed. 

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5459 on: January 17, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »

Plus cost of materials.

Can not pay the bills.

It takes 10 mins to remove a driveshaft.  That hardly justifies the cost of an hour of work. 

Even though I am still paying on it, I'm debating selling this truck IF I can ever get it fixed.

I meant making a driveshaft from scratch for you the Truck Shops.

I know your pissed off over things.

All the junkyards go online now.
They have a Used parts online network.
They chat with each other like we do here on TAC.
If they can make a few bucks they will off of you.

Ebay is only way I know to get it done cheep.
Just have to search & get lucky.

I dont have the driveshaft you need Decaff.

Gotta have a truck to pull a car trailer with a heavy load on the back.
Your not going to do it with a compact car, Small crossover SUV or some sheetbox Hybrid tiny car.
The crap green safe will blow up or catch on fire.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5460 on: January 17, 2018, 02:46:43 PM »

Plus cost of materials.

Can not pay the bills.

Your not going to do it with a compact car, Small crossover SUV or some sheetbox Hybrid tiny car.

I swallowed my pride and paid the Piper....  I now have my driveshaft, AND the correct pinion yoke to go with it. 

I asked the testy fellow behind the counter, why so expensive.  His answer was something to the extent of "My guys need to get paid, too!@#"

Fack em all. 

Gonna go install my junk now. 

FACK em all!

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5461 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »

Plus cost of materials.

Can not pay the bills.

I swallowed my pride and paid the Piper....  I now have my driveshaft, AND the correct pinion yoke to go with it. 

I asked the testy fellow behind the counter, why so expensive.  His answer was something to the extent of "My guys need to get paid, too!@#"

Fack em all. 

Gonna go install my junk now. 

FACK em all!

I never have broke a driveshaft yet Decaff.

The New stuff being built is not so good I think.
Really Tortured working on them.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5462 on: January 17, 2018, 03:01:58 PM »
2018-01-17_03-59-11 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
The view out of my office window right now. Just a dusting, no more than 2", but schools were closed! Hit a nice warm 22deg this afternoon.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5463 on: January 17, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5464 on: January 17, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »
2018-01-17_03-59-11 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
The view out of my office window right now. Just a dusting, no more than 2", but schools were closed! Hit a nice warm 22deg this afternoon.
So pretty, that's what I was looking forward to but I got shafted with a light dusting instead.

Well DeCaff considering a new driveshaft was twice as much on RockAuto I guess that's not too bad considering you bought from somewhere that has overhead and employees etc...  Sucks, but when you can't find what you need in a junkyard you just have to get what you can find for the cheapest even if it's a lot more than if you got it from the junkyard yourself.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5465 on: January 17, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
So I joined Grassroots Motorsports last night so I can bother them with my car dilemma.  Seems like out of anywhere they might be the best source for unbiased and experienced opinions when it comes to what I'm wanting from a car and the cars I'm considering.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5466 on: January 17, 2018, 03:43:47 PM »
I found the Driveshaft Brand New for $260 with a New transmission- transfer case Yoke Turbo 400 style for $260 & free shipping on Ebay.
New Premium U-joints installed.
Made of Steel & not aluminum so it would not fail again ever.

Decaff made a statement that No one had better of post Links or pictures of a driveshaft for his Truck.
So I said to myself OK and did not.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5467 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:48 PM »
So I joined Grassroots Motorsports last night so I can bother them with my car dilemma.  Seems like out of anywhere they might be the best source for unbiased and experienced opinions when it comes to what I'm wanting from a car and the cars I'm considering.

Looking at that Forum.
Never heard of them.

Its a Road Race Forum.
All car guys & Racers are extremely Biased.
Especially when potential customer & sales are involved.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5468 on: January 17, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
Well considering it's a road race and autocross forum in general and not one specific brand I figure it's my best bet, that and reading through similar posts in the past it seems like most of the responses were for the most part unbiased.  Being no one has anything to gain from whatever 20 year old car you buy outside of some kind of "MAKE THEM LIKE ME" kink I think it'll be ok.  I mean there has to be some other car guys and gals out there like myself that don't care about what brand the car is or where it's from.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5469 on: January 17, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »
Well considering it's a road race and autocross forum in general and not one specific brand I figure it's my best bet, that and reading through similar posts in the past it seems like most of the responses were for the most part unbiased.  Being no one has anything to gain from whatever 20 year old car you buy outside of some kind of "MAKE THEM LIKE ME" kink I think it'll be ok.  I mean there has to be some other car guys and gals out there like myself that don't care about what brand the car is or where it's from.
Can not hurt to spend time there if you like it Box.
Working 3 forums myself.

Post On TAC. Post on another next .
Keeps the mind busy .
Doing Tech is my thing.
Learned to keep the guys entertained & together from your thread here.

Box

• Oracle Forum Member
  • (>*.*)>#<(*.*<)
« Reply #5470 on: January 17, 2018, 04:04:29 PM »
Well I'm glad I've been helpful in some manner.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5471 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:57 PM »

The Pontiac Firebird & Trans Am owners are a unique group.
Like none others out there Box.
You will always be a Pontiac guy too now.

79GoldnTan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5472 on: January 17, 2018, 07:06:16 PM »
Spent the morning plowing my jobs then the rest of the day taking care of my own driveway, 1000 feet all hill,  8 inch's of snow on a layer of ice from the weekend
79 solar gold    
461.   Factory 4 speed
PTFB SFC
PTFB 1LE
3.08 rear  for now
Lots O Fun

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5473 on: January 17, 2018, 09:53:51 PM »

The Pontiac Firebird & Trans Am owners are a unique group.
Like none others out there Box.
You will always be a Pontiac guy too now.

LOL you've got that right!

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5474 on: January 18, 2018, 07:53:20 AM »
Our county does a great job in cleaning the roads, everything is clear. I used to have equipment and we plowed 6 bank branches. Even if it was just a dusting we would clear the walks and spread salt. I am SO GLAD those days are behind me. We made decent money but i despise plowing and shoveling snow.
I have a new neighbor that just moved here from Michigan, he was surprised at how fast and well the roads are cleared here.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5475 on: January 18, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
My procrastination strikes again, i just saw that i missed the date to have the emission test for my truck. It was yesterday. It costs $14, and now i have to pay a late fee of $15, so $29 for my own stupidity. My problem with these things is that they mail the notice about 2 months before they are due. I always throw them to the back of the pile thinking i have plenty of time to get it done. I had been thinking the last week that it was coming due soon and decided to check on it today.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5476 on: January 18, 2018, 08:41:28 AM »
Our county does a great job in cleaning the roads, everything is clear. I used to have equipment and we plowed 6 bank branches. Even if it was just a dusting we would clear the walks and spread salt. I am SO GLAD those days are behind me. We made decent money but i despise plowing and shoveling snow.
I have a new neighbor that just moved here from Michigan, he was surprised at how fast and well the roads are cleared here.

I've never plowed snow, but I've done PLENTY of shoveling.  Must be real uncomfortable to sit in a heated vehicle and pull levers for a few hours, as opposed to breaking your back and freezing your nuts off w/a shovel and a bag of salt.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5477 on: January 18, 2018, 08:51:52 AM »
When i first started we used open skid loaders, sitting in a driving snow storm is much colder than shoveling and burning calories, trust me! At one point we put a plow on one pickup, which was mine. Def a lot more comfortable than sitting outside surrounded by a mass of cold steel. Out of the 3 banks that i did, only one had minimal sidewalks, the other 2 were pretty bad. The other guys were still using skid loaders and a backhoe.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5478 on: January 18, 2018, 11:16:22 AM »
When i first started we used open skid loaders, sitting in a driving snow storm is much colder than shoveling and burning calories, trust me! At one point we put a plow on one pickup, which was mine. Def a lot more comfortable than sitting outside surrounded by a mass of cold steel. Out of the 3 banks that i did, only one had minimal sidewalks, the other 2 were pretty bad. The other guys were still using skid loaders and a backhoe.

I don't care how good the money is... putting yourself through a blizzard, freezing, and hypothermia like that is just unacceptable.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5479 on: January 18, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
Its actually very dangerous plowing snow.
If you have an accident no one will reach you in time.
Out there all alone.

One guy had a heart attack at the wheel 5 years ago here..found dead at the wheel .

« Reply #5479 on: January 18, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
You can help support TAC!