Author Topic: Kids no longer into cars, especially old cars?  (Read 349 times)

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
Kids no longer into cars, especially old cars?
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:09:40 AM »
This kid who own's the "4 Speed Films" Youtube channel is! 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_awmz_4zr5pBGecWFBapzQ

I found his channel back during the summer and was going to mention it here at TAC, because I read here (and other car forums) how people are saying kids are no longer into cars, but forgot until now.

I think he goes to film school, so his videos are pretty good quality.  It's pretty cool to see kids no older than in their 20's, that are into cars built in the 70s/60s and even older.  I thought I'd share with you guys. 

Here's one he filmed of a young girl that owns a 71 Firebird:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KumNhCPm3cs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KumNhCPm3cs</a>
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

Maxthe222

• Active Forum Member
Re: Kids no longer into cars, especially old cars?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 02:10:16 AM »
There is a fair few of them. Hopefully with my F/A, i'm going to become one of those instagram famous people  :P That's lisa something idk she writes for hot rod magazine, but the 4-speed films guy owns a mustang. He's also friends with a 20 year old from denmark who has a '70 formula. There are a lot of guys my age who have these cars on instragram, you folks probably just don't see them that much because they all use social media platforms older folks generally don't use
1979 T/A Y84 WS6
1979 F/A W72 WS6
1971 Formula 400 4-Speed

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 02:41:01 AM »
I agree, I think social media platforms are age biased. Meaning social media has a more significant platform for millennials. I think older people have a lot more things going on in real life and don’t really have time for more of the social media experience. Additionally social media platforms change favor it seems every year or so , so it’s kinda hard to continue on an in depth foundation of information.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 04:47:47 AM »
Yah what Jim said.

Regards, Jack

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Outside of the social media venue debate, I really think it’s is great to see millennials with an interest and enthusiasm for classic cars. In a way, it is reminiscent of times similar to when I was that age. I hope they continue their interest and passion for the cars.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1977 Trans Am
1972 Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird
1977 MGB  Roadster Convertible

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »
The thing that is extra cool about those guys is that all the cars are drivers and not show.
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
69 F'Bird P-Touring T/A tribute to be
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

dmont

• Active Forum Member
  • 1979 T/A, Olds 403
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »
I have 2 teenage boys that are all into cars, likely because we work on their cars out of necessity.  We bought older cars for them that needed TLC and they got their hands dirty and gained lots of experience. Now they have an appreciation, understanding, and an interest in all types of cars.  The big difference is that the 1/4 drag was big in our day, while the drifting with rear wheel drive cars is the big thing now.

Regardless, we've been working on restoring our 79 for 4 months.  While it's been on jackstands in the garage all my kid's friends show tons of interest in it.  Some of them say it's their dream car, and it's not even a prime T/A collectible like an earlier SD-455 would be.  But, it looks different!  Teenage kids love cars with character since they've grown up with cars/SUV's that all look the same.  The T/A's bring tons of character, as quirky as some of the design is. 

Only problem is that my wife still hates it.  Any advice on that is welcome  :?

76 - 455 - 4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »
Only problem is that my wife still hates it.  Any advice on that is welcome  :?
Get a new wife?
j/k
I had the same issue with my better half for a long time. Then for our 25th Anniversary I gave her a '68 firebird 400 convertible that I had secretly restored. I told her it was all hers, to do with what she wanted.
She absolutely loves it, promptly named it 'Blue Angel', babies it all the time. I have never heard a boo from her about my cars since. And that was about 8 or 9 years ago. I've picked up at least a half dozen or more cars since, not a peep.
...and she almost never lets me drive it... :(

nUcLeArEnVoY

• Active Forum Member
  • Some day...
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 06:56:12 PM »
Accessibility to a lot of old cars or classic cars is also an issue with millenials, and I am one so I feel I can weigh in. lol

They're still a luxury in an economy where jobs are tough to come by, student debt is astronomical, and wages are stagnant. I'm a licensed Paramedic who can consciously decide on my own accord to administer controlled substances to people and I make just shy of $15.00/hr. Oh, and I live and work in Miami. Not looking for sympathy, just saying. It's why I'm going back to school to pursue nursing, which when I'm done with that is when I plan to enter the market for a Trans Am since I am so in love with them that I'm not willing to compromise with anything else. I already did that once. (2011 Camaro.)

Two additional factors to consider include the values of a lot of "old" cars, as well as what ticks *OUR* nostalgia box as opposed to most of the people on this forum. Classic cars from the muscle car era are inaccessible to a lot of millenials, and even if they may be what some millenials actually want; they're a pipe dream due to the aftermath of the muscle car bubble from the mid-2000's to the early 2010's. Thankfully, they're starting to cool down a bit as the baby boomer generation ages out. Our Trans Ams were also white hot between 2012-2016 and even they have pretty much stagnated since then. Point is, they're unattainable to a generation that barely even purchases new cars due to the expense; and if we do, we usually have to settle with draconian loan terms in excess of 72+ months to keep payments manageable. So with that in mind, the last thing we can think about is a classic car, even a cheap project to wrench on.

As for the second factor, just like with the Baby Boomers longing for the cars they grew up with, history will repeat itself. The cool cars of our youth were a lot of the 90's Japanese Sports Cars (RX-7, MKIV Supra, Integra Type R, etc.) and Euro spec performance models like BMW E30's. Another emerging trend that happens to be occupied primarily by millenials in not only new car sales, but also the collector car market, is the sudden shift to performance offroad SUVs and trucks. Some of the best selling cars right now are Wranglers, SVT Raptors, and RAM Rebels. Because of that, Ford is bringing back the Bronco, Land Rover is bringing back the Defender, and one of the best selling luxury cars is the MB G-Wagon and Suzuki even brought back the Jimny. Suffice to say, it is one of the most profitable segments in the industry right now (which is why the new Chevy Blazer is so sacrilegious since it is the perfect nameplate to use for Chevy's entry into the segment, but instead they turned it into another sporty crossover). On the collector car side, classic Wagoneers, 90's Land Rover Defenders, Jeeps, Toyota Land Cruisers, and International Harvesters are selling like hot cakes and are going up in price.

At the end of the day, nostalgia drives this hobby, and one's nostalgia is proportional to their upbringing and the environment therein. I was raised by a single mom who had two Trans Ams, my first ever model kit was an AMT '74 Cuda, and we had two family friends that were Baby Boomers that loved American muscle, so it's no wonder I ended up the way I did. Meanwhile, most other millenials were first introduced to cars with the sweet looking Mazda or Mitsubishi at the dealership in 1995, and of course let's not forget the legacy of the Fast and the Furious, which despite Toretto's Dodge Charger, the movie was primarily focused around import cars and tuner culture.

Honestly, since I am more partial to classic muscle, I like the fact that most of my generation doesn't care for them. Makes my future Trans Am stand out all the more, and become even more attainable as the values drop.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:11:46 PM by nUcLeArEnVoY »

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 08:38:29 PM »
I saw a Delorean sitting outside a low income type house (most of that paint was missing fr ok m the house and the lawn wasn't mowed). I thought maybe the car was a basket case and thought maybe I could buy it (I'm a Delorean lover too). Anyway,  I knocked on the door and talked to a middle aged guy whose son (who was away at his first year in college) bought the Delorean as his first car (that he bought himself). He uses it as a daily driver but didn't want to take it to school. So, there are millennials out there who are car guy/gals. Oh they had a 67 Mustang shell behind the garage as well and the guy said they were doing a father son build but decided to give up. I almost made and offer... but I have too many projects as it is... But that more than likely will be my next purchase.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »
He happen to have a Batman windshield shade in it?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 05:57:27 AM »
No, it was sitting there looking abandoned but they couldn't park it in the garage so outside it sits. It's a nice car though.  He bought it from a place on Chicago that sells Deloreans.

hakitup

• Oracle Forum Member
  • What more do you need?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »
My son shocked me a couple of weeks ago, he ask if I could recommend a muscle car type to look for. He’s 21 and has never should interest in the hobby, I’ve alway got something I playing with. I feel it’s his time in the coast Guard working on the boats that have got him interested. BTW I recommend Nova or Ventura as he wanted something square.

Tom H
"I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it lies!!"

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
No, it was sitting there looking abandoned but they couldn't park it in the garage so outside it sits. It's a nice car though.  He bought it from a place on Chicago that sells Deloreans.

I think I’ve seen that one around and the story sounded familiar. That’s why I asked.
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
I spoke to his dad for quite a while. They are from Alaska and have mineral rights and the kids get a check every month. He used most of his savings to but the car. I'd say it's around a 35k car.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »

dmont

• Active Forum Member
  • 1979 T/A, Olds 403
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 01:12:21 PM »
Great perspective from nUcLeArEnVoY.  The value of a car to the individual certainly comes from past experiences.   This is why I have a TA and have always loved them.  The same will be true of younger kids that grew up on souped up Hondas, Miatas, 240SX's ,etc.  I see the truck craze in Arizona right now, old Bronco's, Blazers, Jeep Cherokees, and Internationals are getting top dollar for local rust free models.  A 200k mile Jeep Cherokee XJ in AZ will go for $6-$8k if it's unmolested.  There's even a company out east that is restoring them to factory new with lifts, accessories, etc for $20-$30k.  Check out Davis Autosports in Richmond VA.  Similar to the Trans Am Depot in FL.  Love what those guys are doing.

@nUcLeArEnVoY, keep up the hard work.  I can tell by how well you write that you're value is much higher than $15/hr.

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 07:28:00 AM »
I spoke to his dad for quite a while. They are from Alaska and have mineral rights and the kids get a check every month. He used most of his savings to but the car. I'd say it's around a 35k car.

I hope you mean that's the mileage.....
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
I just turned 30 this year.  Sorry I left the 20’s group behind  :lol:

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »

I hope you mean that's the mileage.....

Nope. That's what they go for.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »
You can help support TAC!