2020-B4-3

Author Topic: 1981 Turbo Trans Am project  (Read 74841 times)

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 1981 Turbo Trans Am project
« Reply #640 on: June 18, 2020, 07:09:17 AM »
OK, you have convinced me Tom. I have been up in the air on the sfc's from day one. Never really thought my car needed them. But after hearing your testimonial I think I will be ordering a set.
Good luck with Carlisle, I just read something that PA is trying to shut them down.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #641 on: June 18, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
Update on the delivery my PTFB connectors that I've been waiting for for a long time. Thanks to your suggestion to keep trying to call them, I was able to talk to Dave and he got my order shipped out on Monday. They're out for delivery on the FedEx truck, so I will have them later today. So, I'm glad I didn't give up on getting them.

My suggestion to anybody who wants to order from PTFB at this time is to call them first to see how long it will take to get your order. He's been moving his business to a new, larger location, plus the virus has slowed his ability to get product. So, they're running behind. Hopefully he'll get caught up soon, and the time frame for deliveries will shorten. But, you might want to know before ordering how long it's going to take.

Thanks for showing your installation, tips, and results. That will help me when I install mine in the next couple of days, and your results are something I look forward to with my 79 t-top.

Question...did you install solid body mounts earlier? I'm sure you documented it somewhere, but it's easier to ask than to review the other 15 pages :D.

Now, I have a tip for you about the steering gear. I was having a problem with the upper input shaft seal leaking on my steering gear after aligning the front end. I discovered that during the alignment, and installation of extra shims at the upper rear control arm location to gain more positive caster, the control arm flange can contact the intermediate steering shaft. The steering shaft is not round in that area...it's more rectangular, having 2 flat sides and 2 rounded sides. The shaft is thinner at the flat sides, so the control arm can be clearing the flat side, but when the shaft is rotated during the alignment, the wider rounded sides made contact. I could see the contact scratch around the shaft after the alignment. The contact put side pressure on the shaft, which put side pressure on the input shaft at the steering gear. Being that it was the original 40 year old steering box, the old seal began to leak there. If you look at the space between the rear flange of your upper control arm and the steering shaft, you'll likely see that it's very close to the shaft. So, I used a carbide bit in my die grinder and ground out a curved notch in my upper control arm to add clearance between the control arm flange and the steering shaft, so that would never happen again. You can see the notch I made in the flange in the photo below, and the clearance I have now. So, that's something to watch out for.

006 by grand73am, on Flickr
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:56:21 AM by Grand73Am »
Steve F.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »
Tom, there is talk on the aaca forum about guys setting up at Carlisle for this weekends event, If they can pull this off you should be fine for next weekend, Good Luck!
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

sensei451

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2020, 05:59:26 PM »
Tom, so happy you are getting the suspension to where you want it! So with this SFC's there is no need for softer springs then?

Can't help comparing with my experience since we have practically the same car (yeah i wish mine was in your condition..) and I've just not even been thinking I need SFC's. Maybe I'm missing out? Hard to say without testing a car with them.

At any rate, I mounted poly bushings and not solid, so I guess if I was to follow your route I would need to change at least the rear bushings to solid. Any insights?

Back to your car -- congrats for achieving the ride you were looking for

Btw - are you looking at getting a functional cruise?

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #644 on: June 20, 2020, 10:40:11 PM »
Glad you got a hold of them and your parts are on the way.  I tried calling them last week (again) because I received a -second- set of SFC's in the mail late this past week.  Need to get a return label so I can send the second set back.

Thanks for the steering  Tip. I'll def check those clearances around the steering shaft.   I don't think I'll do anything with the steering until after the Summer.   The play isn't super bad, and I'm used to it.  Mostly I was just surprised at how the feel changed with the SFC's in place.

Regarding the solid bushings....
I DID install solid bushings very early on in this project (Page 1!).  Didn't mention much about them at the time 'cause it was pretty straight forward because the sub-frame was off and going back on the car at the time. I can't offer much insight on installing the solid bushings because I did mine so early on.   The solid bushings can be installed on an assembled car...I just didn't have to figure that out.  Similarly, because of where I was in the project I can't offer a before and after comparison of solid vs. the originals.   I can tell you I installed my PTFB solid bushings  in the 'lowered' position.  Which sets the body lower on the sub-frame. I don't recall how much...It's like 1/2"in. or so lower on the frame.  I mention this because the SFC instructions indicate there could be some minor interference if using the PTFB solid bushings in the lower position and to adjust installation of the SFC's accordingly.   I didn't notice any interference in my install.

Sensei,
The instructions that came with the SFC's say solid bushings are "required" with a welded-in installation.  BUT, the "bolt-on installation" is "OK" with regular bushings. So you can bolt these in with your current poly bushings.  I don't know how many miles you have on your car, or how it rides now.  But I'd be willing to bet you'd feel a significant improvement afterwards.  After a couple hundred miles I'm still being surprised by the different situations in which I notice the improvement.  Just today, I pulled up slowly to an intersection where the road was severely warped. You've probably seen this sort of defect...Several small humps, one after the other spaced a foot or two apart. They were set in two rows, one aligned under the left wheels, one under the right.  Right were traffic would be stopping for a stop sign or traffic signal.   I could actually feel the difference in stiffness as we slowly rolled over the humps.  Instead of the car sort of twisting from side to side, wallowing over the bumps, I could feel the whole car moving more as one unit as the suspension moved over the humps.  It really is weird how much I can feel the difference.

I do think welding them in would be better...It's probably easier than getting 16 holes aligned perfectly.  But I also had this experience...
After a few miles I could feel the SFC's loosen up a bit.  I could actually feel it in the ride and 'feel' of the car!  I think that was just stuff settling in to place.  I tightened them back up and have a couple more drives on them with no change.  Point is, based on that experience, I suspect they are even better welded in.   The nice thing with these is you can bolt them in, then weld them in later after you get solid bushings or whatever.

Regarding cruise control...No, I don't have any intention of getting that working.  I don't really ever use it, except to stretch my legs a few seconds at a time on long drives.  Because I rarely use in my other cars I don't have any plan on setting up in this one.

Regarding the front springs...
As it stands now, I don't plan on swapping out the PTFB 1LE Springs I currently have installed. The combination of swapping shocks out to a 'stock' ACDelco replacement, and adding the SFC's has gotten me pretty close to where I want to be.  I hadn't realized how much I was driving around with my ass cheeks puckered up before.  It's more relaxing now.   

I after a few more hours behind the wheel I still think these are a must for a t-top car.  I only have my experience on a T-Top car with almost 200,000 Miles on it...But I'm sure even lower mile T-Top cars and coupes would benefit significantly. For both Julie and Tyler to notice the difference from the passenger seat without me saying any input or feedback from me...I thought that was impressive too. 

This has come up before, but I'll say it again...I'm beginning to understand people who've said these projects are never 'done'.   
It's not exactly where I want it to be, but it's getting to be more enjoyable every day.

As far as I know the Carlisle show is 'on', and it looks like the weather will be good.  So, I'm looking forward to it.  I'm taking off Thursday to detail the car, then driving out Friday with Julie.  We are going to spend the night out that way Friday night.  Tyler's planning on driving out with a couple friends Saturday.  I'm looking forward to the show, but also looking forward to getting out of the house for a couple nights.  Things are still upside down from the hot water heater break a few weeks back.  That's a whole 'nother story.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 11:42:47 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am
Build thread - http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=69897.0

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #645 on: June 21, 2020, 07:07:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply. That's odd that you received a second set of SFC's. Funny that you went from no SFC's to now a wealth of them  :) .

Good to know you have solid body mounts. I did receive my SFC's on Thursday as expected, which I ordered with solid mounts, since I want to do it the most effective way. I installed new factory type rubber mounts last year, so I am already familiar with how to do that. So, the reason I asked what mounts you are using was to get your impression of the vibration and harshness that solid mounts might cause. From your description, it doesn't appear that they've caused any discomfort for you, since you haven't mentioned any. Also, how does it feel in the 60 to 70 mph range on the highway? Does it feel stable and vibration free?

I'll get to work on installing mine in the next couple days. I like the looks of the parts. Thanks!

Steve F.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #646 on: June 21, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »
Are the bolt-ins a pretty straight forward install?
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

RamblerRacer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #647 on: June 21, 2020, 10:12:23 AM »
I get what you mean when you said it actually feels like the suspension is working rather than being a flexible flyer.  I could also tell the difference with the front bars I made; on vs. off.  I made my own with sole roll bar tubing, but the same effect with the g braces sold commercially. I took mine off to paint and had them off for a few days while driving the car around.  What a difference!

It nice when you make an upgrade like that and see such a noticeable improvement. Bang for the buck you probably got the most for your money with that mod to your car.  And; like you said, actually enjoy driving the car rather than worrying when taking it out.

JT

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #648 on: June 21, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »
I never really thought my car felt all that bad, but this has me wanting to put the connectors in now.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
Likewise, hence my question above.
-Brian-

« Reply #649 on: June 21, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #650 on: June 21, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »

Concerning installing SFC's, in addition to the helpful tips and pics that Tom provided earlier, here's a link to a great tutorial on how to install the PTFB connectors, written by fellow TAC member John Paige, also known as "NOT A TA":   http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74985.msg701051#msg701051
Steve F.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #651 on: June 21, 2020, 09:28:49 PM »

Concerning installing SFC's, in addition to the helpful tips and pics that Tom provided earlier, here's a link to a great tutorial on how to install the PTFB connectors, written by fellow TAC member John Paige, also known as "NOT A TA":   http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74985.msg701051#msg701051

Sorry I must have missed Toms post but I appreciate you pointing it out and tossing up the link to the other write up.
-Brian-

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #652 on: June 21, 2020, 10:49:29 PM »
Grand73,
 My car does have a bit too much high frequency vibration transferred from the engine into the interior, but only sitting at idle in gear.  Based on my prior experience using solid poly motor mount bushings on my '04 Grand-Prix, I believe most of the vibration I'm experiencing is related to the BRP Hot-Rods LS Swap motor mounts, which are pretty much solid mounts with a poly bushing.   I don't think the solid sub-frame bushings contribute much to any negative vibrations or harshness.
The car feels great at highway speeds of 60 to 80. Stable with no vibration.

Thanks for the sharing feedback on the G-Brace's.  I'm considering installing those too.  I'm glad to hear they have a noticeable positive impact.  I need to look to see how they install exactly.  The current AC Compressor placement puts it right above the upper control arm on the passenger side.  I'm not sure those G-Braces will fit with my current set up.  But, I'd like to tighten this thing up as much as possible.  I might need to look into some thing custom like Rambler set up. 

That write-up on the SFC install is right on...Exactly my experience.   I wish I would've had cribs.  The way I did it on the driveway was uncomfortable and made it more time consuming than it might've been otherwise.  I would recommend putting a set together for this install.   I made a set as a gift and I think they cost about $35.00 to put together.  If you have a saw and a drill to drive the screws it's an easy project, just like building Lincoln logs. 
12" x 16",  2x3's worked well for the set we put together. 

Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #653 on: June 22, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »
Thanks for your impressions of the feel of the car with solid body mounts.

I made myself some cribs for this SFC project, following another one of John's posts about making them. His idea of making a jig to speed up the construction helped a lot. Here's the link to his "crib making" post. Scroll down to reply #13: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=81968.msg788985#msg788985

I made 18 cribs, 13"x20". I bought 14 8 foot long 2x4's to make them with, which I found the most economical with the least waste, for the quantity of cribs I was making.
Steve F.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
Hey guys,
Thanks for sharing the crib post.  I spent few days working with the set I made for Classic Auto Painting on the '81 Corvette project Chris was working on.  They really are nice to have for a bunch of different projects, as is obvious in that link you shared!

Garage time over the last couple days has pretty much just been cleaning things up to get ready for the 'Carlisle Chevrolet Nationals' this Friday and Saturday.  Nothing too interesting to report...Only 'new' thing on the car this week are the hood seals.
Well...sorta, mostly...
As you can see from the pic below, I got the main forward seal installed no problem...
1-IMG_3060 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

I also got the two small seals that mount on each side of the cowl installed.  Unfortunately,  I couldn't get the last big seal on the rear of the hood installed because I didn't have enough retainers. Ugh! If you're putting in new hood seals on 77-81...I had ordered two "1970-1981 HOOD TO COWL SEAL, 3 PIECE KIT" PN FD255 from Ames as required in order to get the two longer forward and rear hood mounted seals, but only one "1970-1981 HOOD TO COWL SEAL CLIP SET " PN FD256.  FD256 is 16 pieces, you need something like 25. So now you know.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting today is because I have a question...
While looking through the Assembly Manual for hood seal info, I came across this diagram:
1-IMG_3072 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

With my recent focus on tightening things up, the "Strut" parts shown above (#2) caught my eye.
Info in the 76-81 Parts Guide suggests these were included on WS6 cars:
 "78-81 F W/(WS6, WS7) SPEC PERFORMANCE PKG, PN 10005519, STRUT, CONT ARM BRKT LWR"

Anyone have a WS6 car with these brackets in place?  Any real world pics of how they're installed?
I think I might look to see if all the subframe's have provisions for these and maybe look into them a little more.

Finally,  A gratuitous pic of the car from this past weekend.  This is from 'Lemon Hill' in Philly.  Part of Fairmount park near the Art Museum:
1-IMG_3043 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

I've driven through the park a couple times to try to get up to Belmont Plateau to recreate that pic from page one.  The Plateau has been closed for some reason.   Lemon Hill was the closest I could get. 

OK...So, let me know if you know anything about those brackets.  Next up  I'll post some pics of my Pontiac crashing the Chevrolet Nationals this weekend.  I'm hoping to make some second gen Camaro guys envious. ;-)

Take care.

-Tom
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »

2020-B1-8

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »
Here are some pics of those ws6 braces. If you don't have them, the holes are in the frame, so they aren't hard to add.

WS6 Braces by grand73am, on Flickr

WS6 braces a by grand73am, on Flickr
Steve F.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #656 on: June 25, 2020, 10:02:17 PM »
You guys are Awesome!  Thanks for the control arm brace pic Grand73.   
This looks like it might be a simple, cheap, GM engineered improvement I can apply.   I'll have to start looking to see if I can find them online anywhere.

Spent the entire day tying a couple little loose ends up and detailing the car for it's first show this weekend.
It's out in the garage all ready to go...

1-IMG_3077 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

We are off to Carlisle tomorrow morning.  It's not a huge trip, about 100 miles from here.  But it'll be our first long trip on the highway. And, I think 100+ miles and a couple nights at a hotel constitute our first road trip.  Woo Hoo!

Take care.
-Tom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:03:58 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #657 on: June 26, 2020, 03:38:08 PM »
I was just on Facebook, and I see a guy selling those braces with bolts for $50. Let me know if you're interested and I'll direct you to them.
Steve F.

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #658 on: June 26, 2020, 08:12:25 PM »
I'd be interested in a set for $50 for sure.   Can you send me a link?
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #659 on: June 26, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »
I'd be interested in a set for $50 for sure.   Can you send me a link?

The guy is selling a ws6 steering box, and some of those braces in the same listing. I think this link will work. Let me know if it doesn't:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/fortheloyal/permalink/1587301261430014/?sale_post_id=1587301261430014&rt=11
Steve F.

« Reply #659 on: June 26, 2020, 08:18:37 PM »

TATurbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #660 on: June 29, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
Thanks again...That link worked.  I was able to hook up with the guy and purchased those braces.  I suspect that their impact will be minimal, but if GM engineers thought it was a good idea, it seems like a no-brainer to add them to my car.

I'm sure you all have been on pins and needles all weekend waiting to hear how our first show went. (LOL).  I wont keep you in suspense...

It went well.   
Julie and I had a really, really good time.  It was nice to get away after being home-bound for pretty much the whole spring.
We drove out Friday. Hung out for a few hours Friday afternoon, spent the night out that way then hung out at the show all day Saturday and took the long way home Sunday afternoon.

The Show itself was 'OK'. 
 Having been to the absolutely ridiculously huge Mopar show at this venue a bunch of times, the turnout for this 'Chevrolet' show seems light by comparison. There were 6 or 7  2nd Gen Firebirds there...4 or 5 first gen's...and maybe 10 3rd and 4th gens(all together).   I've been to this particular event 3 or 4 times before. I've seen it both more crowded and more sparsely attended. 

The car itself showed really well. It seemed to get a lot of positive attention. More attention than I've had with any other car I've showed anywhere before....
2-IMG_3091 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

1-IMG_3141 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

That's all well and good, but how did we DO?
  Well...We got two awards:
3-IMG_3189 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

That's a 2nd place award and a 'Celebrity Choice' award.
4-IMG_3190 by Tom Sherer, on Flickr

We 'lost' to a '78 Bandit 'clone'.   A '78 TA done up exactly like the movie car...GA Flag on the front, GA Plate, CB radio with the 'correct' antenna, and a pic of Burt and Sally 'in the front seats' as a sunscreen on the windshield.  They even had a signature from the Bandit himself on the sun-visor.   
At the risk of sounding a little dick-ish, I have mixed feelings about this...The car itself was in nice shape. And the Bandit clone get up was well executed.  But...I dunno...Really? A Bandit Clone? 

That said...I really am happy with a Second place from our first showing.  There are still some things we want to do to 'finish' the car.  So I'll still have that first place award to aspire to.   
Getting the 'Celebrity Choice' award helped.  There were only 6 or 8 of these for the whole show field.  A rep from each of the main vendors and/or celebrity attendees gets a pick.   The guy who chose my car was from Pickardt Performance...A shop that specializes in LS Swaps into Fieros.  Getting attention from a Professional who specializes in engine swaps was cool.  And, there were a lot of Fieros there that could've got his attention. Plus his notes on the award submission validated that we hit the mark with our goal on this car:
"Nice combination of old mixed with new. Stylish and very well done with nice attention to detail"

The cherry on top was a great drive home.  We avoided the Turnpike and drove back roads the hundred miles or so between here and Harrisburg.  Tops off in the summer sun, AC running to cool my feet, Julie with her shorts rolled up to even out her tan.  Couldn't think of a better way to end the weekend!

I do have some technical stuff I could share, but I'll save it for later.   This seems like a nice ending.

Talk to  you soon.

-Tom
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:52:11 PM by TATurbo »
Tom
King of Prussia, PA

1981 Turbo Trans-Am

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #661 on: June 29, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »
Glad the braces worked out.

Enjoyed the pics and story and congrats on the awards!
Steve F.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #662 on: June 30, 2020, 06:01:05 AM »
Right on!! Congrats on the awards man!

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

Nexus

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #663 on: June 30, 2020, 08:24:39 AM »
that's really cool...Congrats
Charlie

79 Esprit but like many, it will be a T/A clone
(19 years and counting but still have her)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #664 on: July 01, 2020, 04:16:29 AM »
I really like the red turbo bird over the black car, the combo works very well.

Regards, Jack

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #665 on: July 01, 2020, 06:25:02 PM »
Congrats on the awards, and a successful trip. I have never been to Carlisle for one of the specialty shows but compared to the spring meet it looks empty. I guess thats kind of a good thing though in these times. Your car looks great on the show field.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
And your hood sits flush! Great job and and awesome car!
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

Names, Luke. If I hear anyone telling me they're my father....

« Reply #666 on: July 01, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4