2020-B2-2

Author Topic: 79 Trans Am restorataion - Australia - RHD  (Read 34218 times)

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
79 Trans Am restorataion - Australia - RHD
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Hi everyone.

3 months ago I purchased myself a 79 Trans Am locally here in Australia for a project. I always wanted to do a build on an American Muscle car but never knew which car I wanted. There seems to alot of the cliche American Muscle cars running around such as Corvette's and Mustangs which didn't really do much for me any way.

Then I came across the Trans Am, which caught my eye... Like most others, I grew up watch Smokey and the Bandit so I thought its was fitting that I do this build. There are obviously a fair number of these Trans Am's running around Australia to however not many that I see on the road where I live plus no where near the numbers of the Mustang's and Corvette's.

So it all began by traveling out the Orange NSW 3 months ago (Sep 2014) to collect the car, which is about 5hrs from where I live. The car started but was only running on 5 - 6 cylinders and sounded all round pretty ordinary. Interior was shot, floor pan had rust. It was in need for a complete restoration.

I did pay probably a bit more that what the market value was, but at the time I didn't realise the extent of the rust and repairs. It appears that the previous owner must have bought it also for a restoration and then freaked out when he saw all the work involved.

I am late to start this restoration journal as I was struggling to find a forum or group to join up with, however I found myself on here quite regularly due to the good information, constantly people being on here and also being a link back to Australia on here. So here I am.

A few of these pics are already floating around on the site as I have had a few discussions already about a few things on the car... My goal is to have the car running in 12 months preferably but definitely with in 2 years ( that's plan anyway )

Loading up to bring it home...

First thing I did for the fun of it was to see why it wouldn't run, I found 2 x spark plug leads in the wrong locations and also a dud spark plug. I replaced them and it started and ran better but would not idle still. I found that there were vacuum lines that were not on... I had my dad helping me the whole way through as he's retired and itching to do something, why not build my car...

<------- Engine running video, sounds pretty awesome, apparently the previous owner couldn't get it to run... Hasn't run in years... Bringing it back to life, something still wasn't right though...

From there I checked to see what worked and didn't work, most things didn't. I checked the lights on the car and it nearly set the car on fire. There was a short in the wiring at the head lights and the whole harness started smoking, it was a complete mess, no solder on the repairs just twisted wire, scared me from what else is like that. No idea why it didn't blow a fuse. So I repaired the wiring in the head light harness and it worked perfect after that.

Time to remove the interior and find rust and lots of it... Both front foot wells and toe boards and also under the front seats, plus a bit under the back seat

Engine time now...

Then guards

The rest of the stuff on the fire wall

And this is what I'm up to currently as of today.

My next step is to loosen off then re-tighen the front subframe and also the rear suspension so that when it goes to the sand blasters in a few weeks time it can be easily lifted off onto a rotisserie.

Before that I still need to remove:

- Remove brake lines
 - Remove fuel lines
 - Remove fuel tank
 - Remove doors and hinges

Once I get it back from the sand blasters I will have a clearer picture of what i have ahead of me... I have not purchased alot until I can see what the whole job in front of me.

I had plans on buying all the parts in from one of the suppliers in the USA however since the AUS dollar has dropped alot in the last few months, I am going to hold off till at least February before I buy anything significant. I did my self a quote from the websites and I will need to buy in well over $10k USD worth of parts and that's not even all of it, most of that will be interior stuff.

I have already bought some floor pan sections from Pontiworld and will probably go back and get more stuff as required.

As I progress through the restoration, I will definitely post pics and updates as there is a lot of experience on this site and this is my first restoration so no doubt I'm going to stuff up along the way.

Thanks again

Bill
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:57:50 PM by Bale9 »

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: 79 Trans Am restorataion - Australia - RHD
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
Hi everyone.

3 months ago I purchased myself a 79 Trans Am locally here in Australia for a project....As I progress through the restoration, I will definitely post pics and updates as there is a lot of experience on this site and this is my first restoration so no doubt I'm going to stuff up along the way.

Welcome to TAC.  Seems like a nice project and you have a vision for its completion.  Great that you can do much of the work yourself and need not rely on a body shop or engine shop like many of us, myself included, have to.   

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:14:57 PM »
Thanks T/A

I should probably explain what I can and can't do myself... I am a mechanic by trade and used to work for Holden (GM) many years ago and since then I went onto work in on rebuilding Diesel engine's, I got off tools in 2007 so I'm a bit rusty with the spanners...

So basically I'm confident in building the engine however these is still a lot that I will be buying in and getting other shops to do, e.g..

I will be:
 - Strip car
 - Rebuilding engine
 - buying in wiring harness and fit myself
 - Overhaul front suspension
 - Overhaul steering linkages (expect steering box, I will buy that in)
 - Buy in steering column and intermediate shaft
 - Overhaul rear suspension
 - Remove axles and replace axle bearings and seals
 - Send diff centre to get overhauled (not confident enough to to this)
 - Send off auto to get overhauled
 - Buy in all interior components and fit myself
 - Send away to sand blasters
 - Send away to get rust cut out and replaced, also have body work done and painted.

I just can't do body and paint and that's were a big chunk will go, I've been told to expect atleast $15k, which made me have heart palpitations.

I have a plan and I'm hoping what I pay to get done I will save on doing other bits myself... But we'll see if the plan works, it call all turn bad real fast...

Cheers

Bill

falcon4

• Active Forum Member
Re: 79 Trans Am restoration - Australia - RHD
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
G'day Bill, Welcome.

If you need anything like '79 rear guards, I have a good set sitting at home.  I imported them a couple of years ago for a T/A I planned to resurrect, but after lots of soul searching decided to scrap it.  They are complete cut outs -inners, outers and frames.  There's some surface rust but no pitting or holes. 

Also complete RHD Subframe, Radiator support,  403, TH350 Etc.Etc....

Once again welcome!
Jon

1966 Chrysler Valiant Regal 225
1976 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird 455
1979 Pontiac Trans Am Firebird 403 (my newest lawn ornament)
1979 Pontiac Firebird 301 Base Model......
1977 Ford F-100 4WD 351
1979 Camaro Z28 350 (wouldn't work in an iron lung)
2004 Ford XR-8 Falcon 5.4
1972 Lemans Station Wagon 455 with Endura nose option.

Perth, Western Australia

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
Re: 79 Trans Am restoration - Australia - RHD
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
G'day Bill, Welcome.

If you need anything like '79 rear guards, I have a good set sitting at home.  I imported them a couple of years ago for a T/A I planned to resurrect, but after lots of soul searching decided to scrap it.  They are complete cut outs -inners, outers and frames.  There's some surface rust but no pitting or holes. 

Also complete RHD Subframe, Radiator support,  403, TH350 Etc.Etc....

Once again welcome!

Thanks for the welcome and and parts on offer...

With parts available like that I think we could be best friends...

I suppose once it come come back from the sand blasters I'll see how it turns out and work out what I need.

Cheer

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
Welcome to TAC Bale. First thing wrong with your car is they built it backwards :shock:(just kidding). Looks like a pretty good base to start with. The funny thing about these cars is how well they can look, yours looked great on the trailer, until you start to tear them down and find all the little stuff. Sounds like you have a good grasp on it though. Overall the rust is typical and doesn't look too bad. You found the right place to help with your work, there is a lot of knowledge on here. My own resto work would not have been as easy so far without these guys. You have a few of your brothers from down under on here as well. Good luck Kerry
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

aussieta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:39:19 PM »
Hi Bill,
couple of things to point out when you import parts
anything over $1000 will attract GST
any body rubbers will attract GST
better buying several small orders
I buy nearly everything from yearone in Georgia
large parcels cannot be sent through postal service and will need a freight company, be prepared for over $1000 shipping quotes
ps they only charge you to your local international airport. then the freight company in Australia charges you again
as for your diff it is a salisbury style and is built inside the diff housing, the centre doesn't come out in one piece like a nine inch
looks like a nice starting point
congrats on owning a Trans Am
1978 Y84 W72 WS6
A Camaro looks like it could kick your ass.
A Trans Am looks like it's coming over to do it

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
Hi Road King

Actually now that I have started the restoration, I wish I got a LHD... Cause it has been converted, simple things like buying the carpet has to be done custom and kick panels and A/C boxes etc... are all different.

If it was LHD, you could quite easily go shopping for everything from the catalog.

As mentioned, Body and Paint scare me a lot cause I know nothing about it, I can't even weld... I'm thinking of trying to teach myself how to do it so I know for small things, plus its a good skill to have.

Cheers.

Hi Aussieta

Yeah, I was all over the 5% import tax and then the 10% GST plus a $75 admin fee!!!!! The Australian government don't miss you...

I've decided to go with keeping it below a $1000 so that i avoid the tax plus I don't have to spend a massive amount of cash upfront... I did some sums and I think that it will be same for same, you either pay the fees on a large order OR pay multiple freight costs on smaller orders...

I did look at (Kiwi) Main Freight or even a fellow from Newcastle (John Caine) that runs a freighting business... But once again, too much upfront.

Thanks for the info on the diff, I haven't even looked at the diff yet to see what it is...

Cheers

falcon4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
What diff you running Bill.?..let me guess 2.41:1?  I have one of them.  With big horsepower they are ok and good for country driving. not so cool for the street.  Mind you a 455 will turn the tyres even a that ratio.

Jon
Jon

1977 Ford F-100 4WD 351

Perth, Western Australia

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »
If you can get a small mig welder, that is very easy to learn with. I am sure you have the skills with your background. The floor pan replacement is a good place to start. I welded many years ago and had to relearn when I started my resto. Its a good skill to have.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:33:50 AM »

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 11:14:22 PM »
Good luck, mate....I'm keep an eye on Camaro-Firebird.org.
Seriously, if the freight/duty/hassle is a bit much, Dave Clee (Pontiword/USGMSP.com) is good to buy from, plus it can be easily returned if its nor correct.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »
Congrats on becoming a TA owner. I have a couple 79's myself, so it's good to see another one being restored. So, I'll be following along. I like the color combination of red with charcoal decals too. You going to go back with the original colors or something else?

And I agree that by practicing on some scrap metal, you can learn to mig weld pretty easily. I think the one thing that most beginners do wrong is not using enough heat, so there isn't sufficient weld penetration, so the weld material is more on top of the seam, and not strong. You have to adjust it hot enough with the right wire speed to burn a puddle into the metal, without burning through. That's what takes some practice, penetration without blowing through. Some weld above the surface is normal, but you need it melted good into the surface too.
Also get a welder for use with shielding gas using a gas cylinder. I use CO2 gas that works well and is cheaper than the Argon mix.
Steve F.

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:06 AM »
Hi Falcon

Not sure of the ratio but it is a 10 bolt. She won't be a fast one, so mostly cruising so aiming for a comfy ride.

Thanks Leigh, I'll put up posts in both sites as I go as I'm getting good feed back and suggestions from both... I like the Camaro-firebird site cause its local but I like this site as there is a greater population and more ideas get thrown around. I have already got some stuff of Dave, he knows his stuff...

Hi Grand

Thanks for following along, hopefully I will be able to keep a constant speed on the build as I have a goal of 1 - 2 years and I'm 3 months into it now. I am actually going to make a visit to a local welding store to get some guidance and crash course on welding over the counter, so I will see how that comes along.

Gents...

The car is now officially stripped and at the sand blasters... It will take about 2 - 3 weeks before I get it back... Been pretty hot the last few weeks, so I have been sweating it out in the shed...

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
What size tires are on it? They look very wide on the stock rims.

Looks like you're well on your way to having a sweet bird!
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
on the rear they are 295's and on the front they are 265...

They do look pretty good on the rims, however these particular tyres need to be replaced... They have been on the car for god knows how long and appear to be cracking and hard. They will do for now and I will replace them just before its time for rego, but I will keep the same sizes.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »

2020-B1-8

falcon4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 06:38:55 AM »
295 is cutting it real close to scraping unless you have backspace to match.  I have 295's on my Z28 and they miss the inner wheel well by mere millimetres.  I'm running 275 on my T/A they seem all right.
Jon

1977 Ford F-100 4WD 351

Perth, Western Australia

72projectbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »
on the rear they are 295's and on the front they are 265...

Those are huge on stock wheels! I have a 295-50 on a 10" rim and it could still benefit from another 1/2"  :lol:
70 Trans Am RAIII 4 Speed #'s matching
70 GTO 455
71 Trans Am LS Swapped
81 Trans Am Daytona

"Put the evidence in the car"

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 02:30:45 AM »
Hey Bill, nice to see another Aussie on the site....
Looking forward to seeing you bring the old girl....

Your right about how scary body and paint costs can be...but you'll be amazed at what you'll archive yourself....

Good luck with the build Phil ;-)

1979 10th Anniversary TA
1978 W87 Currently Restoring Rat Rod Style
1959 Aussie Delivered RHD Bel Air

Aussie 1977 Trans am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »
Hey Bill
Congrates on the car will look great.
Don't be to keen on buying all your parts out of US there are more places around AUS that supply parts
Pontiworld, Eagle auto parts, and there is a guy on ebay in Aus that sells the door rubbers.
ED
Regards Edward
Melbourne, Australia
1977 Trans am TA  Olds 350 Th350 A/C Snow Flakes 15 x 7 8 track, Fisher T-Tops

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »
Hmm.. Interesting what you say about the wide tyres, I didn't take a lot of notice of any scuff marks on the inner guard...  But once the car is running I will run it around the block a few times and see how it goes, if I need to reduce the tyre width, I defiantly I will. I am running the stock height so that may work to my advantage.

Hi Phil

Thanks mate... I'm actually really enjoying the build so far and I'm already trying to convince e wife for the next build but that will take some convincing. Body and paint worry me, but I'll be put out of my misery soon when the car comes back from the sandblaster

I've read your right up on your build and the machining work you have done is really well done. Great work.

Cheers

Hi Ed

I've always been a fan of supporting of local businesses when I can, I've already purchased some items from Dave at Pontiworld, he's a wealth of information that guy. Unfortunately I don't have a huge budget for the car so I need to spend my money smartly and still get the quality that I want. I'll be doing as much as I can myself and hopefully teach myself a bit along the way.

I'm a mechanic by trade, however during my time on the tools I never had to deal with double wishbone suspension and carbies. All I did was late model cars and EFI.

I want to keep this build moving along, so I'll definitely keep the pics and updates coming.

Cheers

Bill

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 06:57:27 PM »

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:56 AM »
Gents

Went passed the sand blaster today and it's up on the rotisserie and ready to go.. I will be getting it back on Saturday.

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:35 AM »
Man your not mucking around......So I ask myself where will this all end ???.... :shock:

I see a serious car being built here......Time to bring out the popcorn....Sit back relax and enjoy the updates....

Phil :cool:

1979 10th Anniversary TA

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »
Dude im from new england here in the states and that there my friend is a very solid ta!! Your rot repair work is going to minimal compared to what us guys here in the NE have to do. Your doors, rockers, and subframe look nice and thats a very good indicater with the rest of the car.  Keep going and dont loose your motivation this car will look beautiful when your done.  Cheers mate.

falcon4

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 10:43:46 PM »
Hurry up will ya!  :D
Jon

1977 Ford F-100 4WD 351

Perth, Western Australia

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 03:24:31 AM »
You better get comfy for a while Phil and falcon, tearing things apart is the easy part... Going together is always interesting...

Dan - I wasn't sure what was a reasonable amount of rust for one of these cars. I was and still am worried about what will come out of the sandblaster.

I got these pics from the sandblaster a Facebook page.

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 04:06:32 AM »
Gents

The bird is back from the sand blasters...

Good news is that it came out as expected and no nasty surprises, I already knew about the floor pan.

To make things better the body is pretty straight with no panel damage from its previous life...

Next step, get rust cut out...

Aussie 1977 Trans am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:54 PM »
Nice going always good to have a fairly rust free body.
Regards Edward
Melbourne, Australia

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
Man you made out like a fat kid in a candy store.  Your car is rediculously clean.  The only cars you see like that here in the states are in california, oregon, and places on the west coast that dont get snow or much rain.  Rot in the floor is normal for any car but typical nasty rot areas on a trans am are the taillight panel, lower quarters, inner wheel houses, and that triangular bracket on the bottom of the firewell.  Also the top of the cowl rots out where the vin tag is from water pooling there.  Pretty much eveything else too will rot but if you ever get a car with what i mentioned...runaway..run far far away.  My own personal ta had all those problems plus bad doors, rockers, and fenders.  I had 11500 in just body work and no paint and the kicker is i did the piece at the bottom of the firewall myself.  That was an 40 hour affair just to do that piece right imagine what a bodyshop would of charged me?? Next is paint where i moved it to another body shop and i got quoted 5600 for paint.  When i do the math i get sick haha. Keep it up!

Aussie 1977 Trans am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 06:12:13 PM »
I must admit when I got my car there was only small surface rust which cleaned up nicely the whole car you could say was rust free except for a small hole near VIN tag:)
Regards Edward
Melbourne, Australia

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
You guys make rebuilding a car look way too easy. I love the rebuild threads because I can live vicariously through your work. Best wishes with your project,

Chris

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 04:10:31 AM »
Dan
I have been told that body and paint I should expect $15,000 and that does not include the sandblasting.

I was actually hoping for less rust than what was there. The car was imported to Australia in 1988 and then it ran out of registration in 1997 the it was parked for 18 years. Given that we don't have the snow issue that is faced in USA i would have though less, but in saying that chances are it was left out side for those 18 years

Aussie
I wish I had your rust issues, it would save me some money, but in saying that a lot is hidden, a few extra spots popped up after blasting..

Spoon
It's easy to tear things apart, but going back together is a different story...

Now I'm waiting on my panel beater to show up and tell me what he thinks and how much exactly. I've noticed a few ripples on the front guards and on one of the doors, not sure what that means but I'll find out soon...

While it's away getting the rust cut out I want to keep the ball rolling with building the engine anyone have any suggested recipes for a 403?

My thoughts
- KB405 pistons 0.030" O/S
- edelbrock intake (3711 or 2711)
- bore block 0.030"
- mill head 0.030"
- port head (stock 4A heads)
- stock Rochester carb
- Comp Cam high energy Dur- 268/268 , Lift- 456/456
- upgrade valve springs
- HV oil pump?

Any thoughts.

Aussie 1977 Trans am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »

While it's away getting the rust cut out I want to keep the ball rolling with building the engine anyone have any suggested recipes for a 403?

My thoughts
- bore block 0.030"
- mill head 0.030"
- stock Rochester carb
- upgrade valve springs
- HV oil pump?

Any thoughts.

[/quote]
not sure what all that is sounds good lol
Mine is only a olds 350 with pistons 0.030" O/S
Ed
Regards Edward
Melbourne, Australia

TransAmMan

• Active Forum Member
  • 1978 /461 Stroker / 4 spd / 2nd Gen Hurst Hatches
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 02:28:39 PM »
I love seeing the RHD cars  8-)   Looking pretty awesome so far! 
~~There will never be a sweeter ride then the Trans Am~~

Lucky Phil

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 04:51:42 AM »

My thoughts
- bore block 0.030"
- mill head 0.030"
- stock Rochester carb
- upgrade valve springs
- HV oil pump?

Any thoughts.

not sure what all that is sounds good lol
Mine is only a olds 350 with pistons 0.030" O/S
Ed
[/quote]

That's sounds exactly like the RAT-AM apart from the high volume oil pump....
I heard on the grape vine they can suck the sump dry, without opening up the head oil drains...
I quickly removed the new one I fitted and replaced it with a new standard volume mellings....

1979 10th Anniversary TA

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2015, 04:30:16 AM »

Phil - That arrangement is the plan but once again, it will come down to $$$... I need to see what I can do the get most bang for my buck..

Started pulling down the engine this afternoon, first I broke a bolt in the inlet manifold where the EGR actuator sits, then broke an exhaust manifold bolt... Spewing, I'm not the best at removing broken bolts...

Any way, inlet manifold came off and I noticed something...

One is not like the others...

I continued the dis-assembly and found that the engine dropped an exhaust valve which then let the push rod fall out and bend... Nothing worse then a bend in your pushrod...

- The camshaft was overall in bad shaped, on the lobe where the dropped valve was it was ground flat.
 - The oil condition was really really bad and sludgy, water has been through it at some stage.
 - The oil pick up appears to be way too high, I noticed that someone has written on the crank with white pen marker, 0.010" Mains and bigends, So I'm assuming when this happened they pushed the oil pick up by accident when refitting the sump, very lucky the engine did not starve for oil.

One thing I learned is the way the oil pump works in the engine, pretty funny way making it work, is this standard on these V8's? Is this normal for the old V8's?

I did not remove the pistons and crank as this is the only think left because I'm running out of real-estate in the garage... I did noticed a bit of a lip on the cylinder bores which i'm not very comfortable with so I would say more than likely I will get it bored out so might as well go 0.030".

I noticed that the camshaft was able to float back and forth and nothing was actually holding it in place? Is this correct? Shouldn't there be a retained to hold it in place?

Cheers

Bill

pancho400cid

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Viva los PONCHOS!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 08:58:18 PM »
Nothing worse then a bend in your pushrod...

Aint that the truth!

Looking great!

Keep it up (the good work I mean).
1978 Trans Am - Chesterfield Brown - current project
1978 Trans Am - Silver - SOLD!

green bandit 77

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
WOW that looks like mud in there. if someone drove it very gently over time it will wear the cylinder wall but wont wear the upper part due to no high rpm to stretch the rods up there. it is very normal to see that and an overbore will do it some good. my previous car had to go 40 over to clean it up. it was in a truck! there is no retainer to hold the cam in on the front of the engine like you would expect when working on diesels

Bale9

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 03:02:46 AM »
Sorry guys, sort of forgot to keep the updates on mine coming through....

Left for the panel shop mid march

Below is the mock up with its new bonnet and nose cone...

The new body mount rubbers are in for the gap measuring and front end all aligned.

I tell ya, it looks good with no springs in the front end...

Well things are rolling along nicely, car has had some of the small spot holes welded up and the R/R lower quarter panel replaced. A bit of shaving and building up of steel to make the gaps to what they should be.

Below are a few pics

First Pics, the panel guys told me that in the old days the used to use lead to make the joins of the panel on the roof. They have told me that they are going to remove this lead, I think it had something to do with the final colour finish and how different surfaces give a different colour even if its the same paint.

Lower R/R quarter panel patch.

Deleting the side moulds

Door gaps - Building up the steel on the door fill in a gap

Boot lid and spring cover gaps

I'll keep you guys posted...

Cheers

Bill
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:19:10 AM by Bale9 »

rollery88

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Wow a lot of progress, thanks for posting t top channel shots I've been scouring the net looking for those. Looks like a pretty clean car, great base to start with
Sterling Heights, MI- 1979 Trans Am- Rotisserie resto in progress

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 08:45:12 AM »
Looks like you found the right guy to do the body work. He must be going crazy getting the body gaps right. Will look fantastic when done.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter