Author Topic: OTC Spring Compressor 7045B  (Read 3230 times)

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
OTC Spring Compressor 7045B
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
I know a lot of folks don't use spring compressors for F-bodies, but for this will work great on them. I purchased it to do springs on a '66 T-bird were the spring installs above the upper control arm and the hook style just will not work; this was the closest match I could find to the origional Ford tool. These springs have a rate of around 700 lbs and are about 20" longs and they need to be compressed to 12.75" to install. I had to modify them to work on the T-bird springs by adding to the their height with a couple of nuts welded into place. In theory a safety chain isn't necessary. I also tried it on an old set of f-body springs and it worked out so much nicer than the hook style. The bearing makes it so that you can compress almost half the spring by hand. If you're looking to purchase a compressor I recommend this one; it's easy to setup and compress and feels quite safe when in use. Cost was around $180 delivered.

To the Mods: I'm not sure if this is the right place for a "tool review", this just seemed like the best place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:39:02 PM by Ford5of5 »

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: OTC Spring Compressor 7045B
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »
Thanks for the write up.  That definitely would be the safest and easiest to use.

I already have the hook type tool, I am going to try it with that, but will keep that one in mind if i have any issues.  I am probably need to remove the springs multiple times, so I want a good and easy tool.

1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
Bob, imo a hook compressor works just fine on the f-body springs and many people don't use a compressor at all. I have used them on many GM cars without issue ever, just for safety's sake. Honestly I could never figure out why people had failures with them. Of course, that could be just luck. The hooks however will not work on a T-bird spring and I experienced several slips for the first time ever. Generally I always felt safe with the hook style but with this style I felt quite a bit safer. If you want to, you can add a bearing to your hook compressor; usually they just have 2-3 washers. But with all said, this compressor is so much easier to set up and use. Good luck and be safe.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
You can help support TAC!