2020-B2-4

Author Topic: any repop dashes yet??  (Read 5232 times)

80transam

• Active Forum Member
any repop dashes yet??
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:47:55 AM »
does anyone know if the repop dashes are out yet? they've been on backorder everywhere for a few years now. i would really like a new dash instead of the cap that i notice every time i look at it...
and i can't afford $1,500 to have mine restored.

DarkStar

• Active Forum Member
Re: any repop dashes yet??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 05:04:04 PM »
How bad is yours? $1500 to have a dash done is a lot. You might be able to fix your own.
2009 G8 GT
2005 GTO
1978 T/A

SpankinElroy

• Active Forum Member
  • Banned due to disrespectful online behavior
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
There is a wealth of information on repairing anything and everything in this forum. There is no way that I'm waiting years on anything from anyone. Being innovative and resourceful is what this forum is all about. Fix it..and make it better than any repop company ever could.

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
There is a wealth of information on repairing anything and everything in this forum. There is no way that I'm waiting years on anything from anyone. Being innovative and resourceful is what this forum is all about. Fix it..and make it better than any repop company ever could.

I agree.

But, I doubt the dash can be fixed as good as what the professionals can do for $1500. We could do it "good enough", but not that good, unless you got the expensive tools/machinery they do or you are extremely skillful.
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

2genbob

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
does anyone know if the repop dashes are out yet? they've been on backorder everywhere for a few years now. i would really like a new dash instead of the cap that i notice every time i look at it...

I bet "Just Dashes" can get it looking new for about $400 which is still a lot of money but it will look new.

http://www.justdashes.com/

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
Does someone know the Sem colour for the dash on a 79 TATA?
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 07:18:04 PM »

I bet "Just Dashes" can get it looking new for about $400 which is still a lot of money but it will look new.

No, Just Dashes is very expensive for the TA dash. They're the ones that charge the $1500-$1600 to do it.

There's another dash restoration place that does the same procedure as Just Dashes, for a few hundred less. It's called Dashboard restorations USA, in Washington state. I haven't used them, but have read some reviews from people who have, and they seem to be satisfied. The main complaint was they are slow. That's all I know about them. I couldn't find a website for them, but there's some contact info on this page:  http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/us/wa/brush-prairie/dashboard-restorations-usa-reviews-2314417.htm
Steve F.

scarebird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parts vender
      • Scarebird Classic Brakes
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I talked to OER a few months ago - according the the gent this project is dead.  He was kinda vague but it sounded like they had a tooling casualty ala Cam Am spoiler and decided to stop.  Ames has 80+ orders in hand for this item, and after viewing one at SEMA and in a customer's car they could get twice the money they are asking.  I personally think they are making a foolish decision - the market is certainly there!  (I would snap one up in a heartbeat...)

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »

No, Just Dashes is very expensive for the TA dash. They're the ones that charge the $1500-$1600 to do it.

There's another dash restoration place that does the same procedure as Just Dashes, for a few hundred less. It's called Dashboard restorations USA, in Washington state. I haven't used them, but have read some reviews from people who have, and they seem to be satisfied. The main complaint was they are slow. That's all I know about them. I couldn't find a website for them, but there's some contact info on this page:  http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/us/wa/brush-prairie/dashboard-restorations-usa-reviews-2314417.htm

Is this the same company that restores center consoles correctly?
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

1979TtopDeleteSE

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:25:07 AM »
Another thread about them from 2010:

http://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=24989.0
Steve F.

1979SE

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »

From the "For What It's Worth" Department, I saw a "Just Dashes" dash at a car show in Myrtle Beach this morning and it was beautiful!  It was an old-style dash (smaller radio cutout) installed in an '81 TA the owner had gotten through Restore a Muscle Car - very nice work.
Joseph
1979 Trans Am (Sold - Stupid)
1982 Trans Am (Sold - Thank goodness!)
1979 Trans Am SE (Baby!)

Skip Fix

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
I had Just Dashes do the one in the 81 last year. It was definitely over $1K. Most of the holes for gauge cluster , glove box were sprayed over or vinyled over and had to be re opened. Some that had been cracked or stripped had not had any attention or repair. The coating/vinyl was so thick I could barely get the gauge bezel (restored by Randy) in without a heat gun or popping the outer portion off. They bead blasted the ashtray and removed all the plating-that was decent to begin with and left it bare metal.

They also left in the old faded A/C vents without rechroming or replacing. Had them rechromed as the OER replacements did not fit well a hair too wide.

It looks better than the cracked dash, but not an even an A- restoration in my book.
1978 black Trans Am original owner 455 E heads 10.99@ 124 on pump gas
2004 Pulse Red GTO
1965 GTO 3 speed 4 bbl project
1964 Impala SS 409 stroker project

78TA_In87

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »

From the "For What It's Worth" Department, I saw a "Just Dashes" dash at a car show in Myrtle Beach this morning and it was beautiful!  It was an old-style dash (smaller radio cutout) installed in an '81 TA the owner had gotten through Restore a Muscle Car - very nice work.

I wonder if the owner of the car at the show had to make further modifications (as other have posted here with their complaints) after getting the dash back form Just Dashes.  Or if Just Dashes new that this car was going to be in a show so they spent extra time in getting it perfect. 

It seems there a quite a lot of complaints about them.  That doesn't mean there aren't some folks that are completely satisfied.  But a lot of these complaints seem completely unacceptable...For a fraction of the price and wait...I'm just gonna cap it.  Then figure out a way to blend in the 2 or 3 areas that makes it obvious a cap is being used.
PONTIAC - We (Did) Build EXCITEMENT!!

SpankinElroy

• Active Forum Member
  • Banned due to disrespectful online behavior
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

It seems there a quite a lot of complaints about them.  That doesn't mean there aren't some folks that are completely satisfied.  But a lot of these complaints seem completely unacceptable...For a fraction of the price and wait...I'm just gonna cap it.  Then figure out a way to blend in the 2 or 3 areas that makes it obvious a cap is being used.

Ditto man, my point exactly. Nobody cares more or knows exactly what you want you dash to look like than you do. Hell, go get a dash out of a Dodge Aries K car for $10 and practice on it...same difference, just get good at fixing it. Over the years I've completely lost all respect for having things 'Professionally' done...it doesn't mean jack other than they get paid to do it. Being a 'professional' doesn't make you good at, better than, or any more capable at completing a quality job than anybody else...it simply means you get paid to do it, that's it. Put your time and money into yourself...learn it, do it, make the job your own.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

2020-B1-8

80transam

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Yep.. That's about what I was finding...
No word. They may or may not ever come back out with the repops.

For giggles I called "just dashes".
The quick quote was "starting at" $1,350 plus shipping both ways with a turn around time of "about" 12 weeks at this time of year.

And honestly, hats off to those of you that have the time, patience, and skill to mend these things yourselves... But 1: I don't have the time, and 2: I don't have the skill. I know my limitations.

The cap on it now doesn't look terrible, and someone who's never sat in a TA before would probably never notice, but after driving this thing for 25 years, my eyes immediately find every seam, every 'deeper than it should be' hole, every imperfection.

I was just hoping for something better than the cap to go with the rest of the restoration.

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3