Author Topic: MCI Overdrive console insert bezel #CON-185  (Read 2317 times)

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
MCI Overdrive console insert bezel #CON-185
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:15:22 AM »
This item isn't a bad one for the most part, many would be very happy with it, but it can be a misleading purchase so thought I'd post some further details since some shops don't.

I was after a new console insert, my previous one still being excellent condition but had a tiny hairline scratch in one corner of the chrome, plus I wanted to convert one to OD status and maintain the stock item as well.

Many of these in repro form are advertised, with just the lens differing for early years and later years, and then the same items offered with an additional inlay sticker for the OD modification. This in turn loses any console shifter lighting, another mod I planned since a sticker is  really a pathetic alternative to a 'correct' clear insert with relocated letters. Having said that, most stickers are black film with white lettering so let through no light. I have one, possibly by Shiftworks, that is white film with black surrounding so would let through some on the letters and work.

But then for some reason unknown, I decided not to get the standard shifter bezel with additional sticker, I already had a few stickers and already have new and used standard shift lens. Another was advertised for being soley for OD versions and without a sticker to apply to lens, that said, I believed it to be an original style insert with an original style clear lens with relocated lettering to suit, factory perfect.

Not the case at all. It's a complete custom piece. There is no lens at all, it is molded in place and the sticker, yes it still has one, already applied. It says it has texture matching the original part. Well, it doesn't. It may be perfectly fine for many, but it has this very flat and plastic appearance that doesn't translate in photo form. Up close it's shiny and smooth with added bumps which are also all perfectly formed nearly. This isn't how the originals were. Even without looking closely it looks odd, not in photos though.

The chrome is excellent, slightly thicker than original but that may not be a problem with many, it will match the slightly thicker chrome on the repro map pocket!

But the there's another problem, small but still there and apparent at certain angles. The shift inlay is a fraction longer than the cutout it sits in. So at one end it curves up onto the side, and being extra glossy and polished in appearance, can easily notice the curved reflection. Again, doesn't translate in photo form.

But then the real issue when you flip it over. It's a one-piece molding, there is no lens compartment or anywhere to add the bulb socket. Simply put, this has come about due to the fact people were losing this feature anyway by adding silly stickers. So instead of correcting that issue, they have simply supplied another part to cater for an incorrect one. Worse still, this one is more expensive than what I should have ended up with, even before adding half the cost again in shipping overseas. Straight onto ebay for this one, won't recoup half the costs.

So just be careful and know what you are getting, this may be exactly what you are after, it may not be. It certainly wasn't advertised beyond being the original type with OD lens already fitted. Forgot to mention the rear or show pics.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:27:09 AM by Aus78Formula »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: MCI Overdrive console insert bezel #CON-185
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
Great review.  Thank you

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
No dramas, thought it may be of use to some, others might be after this very item.

I managed to compare it to my NOS original shift plate, low quality phone camera though.

I was right, the original has much more crammed in pebbling, while the repro on the right has more space between each. It's actually a closer finish than I was imagining until I compared them. It's not like you could tell which was original or repro simply looking at the finish, it just looked different to what I was familiar with. I'd be totally happy with it had the lens been original type.

Likewise the chrome isn't as oversized as I'd imagined, perhaps being brighter and fresher makes it gain in size too.

Here's the backs, you can see that they have simply used their existing standard shifter tooling and added a panel over the opening. I wanted to open it up and make a custom clear OD lens and reassemble, obviously that's going to need another 'standard' shifter bezel.

Just a side note, for anyone with an earlier year Firebird who is adding a repro shifter bezel or even a NOS type like shown, if it has the blue paint on the lens housing outside and onto the shifter surround mounting point then it's designed to work with the shifter light than has a separate earth wire that runs to the shifter surround metal plate below the bezel. Earlier years have this blue housing unpainted on the underside so it earths through the mounting point onto the shifter, and use a globe holder with single wire that earths with the locating tabs where it is held in place. To use this version on an earlier light type you will need to remove the paint around the bulb hole and the tab that extends over the shifter mount. I'm not sure when this change took place. Alternatively, just swap the short console light harness with the twin wire version, and ground the wire to the shifter as per later years.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:25:25 PM by Aus78Formula »

eroc022

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
just a fyi, if you want the light in the shifter to still work with an overdrive its possible.. I did it on my bezel that is now in another members car.... just takes a little more work.... but its completely possible.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Super thread dig......but it's my post so, meh....

Turns out the MCI shifter bezel and OER shifter bezels with blanked off lens are actually copied off the part GM #6264779, not the regular #478570 shown. But that only creates a new question, why would GM have such a part? It's not in the early parts manuals, is it a later 'cost-cutting' version?

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »

olds403

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
nice review - too bad no one makes the OD version

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 05:24:38 AM »
Has anyone ever seen the use of the plain insert without lens as per this repro unit? It is based off a GM unit that actually existed.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 05:50:52 AM »
I'd love to answer but I have never gotten that far with either of my projects.   :(
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

lskip10

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
Firebird Central has one with overdrive insert already in the bezel. Also Shiftworks sells one, I just put a 2004R in and their kit worked perfect.

https://shiftworks.com/collections/firebird-products/products/1968-81-firebird-factory-shifter-conversion-kit

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
Old post, but yes, they are still simply stickers that go over existing molded plastic or clear lens. Some may let some light through if they are black printed on white, some don't.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:25:57 PM by Aus78Formula »

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
You can help support TAC!