Author Topic: good spray bomb for inner fenders and firewall  (Read 3546 times)

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
good spray bomb for inner fenders and firewall
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:21:42 PM »
Looks like im going all eastwood 2k aerosols for my engine compartment but with a 350 buck price tag for all the paint I figured I should ask you guys of other good cheaper options.  Vht satin engine enamal and sem trim black come to mind.  Also does dupont make any chassis paint in a spray can anymore?

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: good spray bomb for inner fenders and firewall
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »
Rustolum makes a clear enamel thar holds up decent over their enamel paint.  Home depot carries it.
MY BUILD THREAD:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=41850.0

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

fiream773

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »
I've been using the VHT satin epoxy roll bar/chassis paint with very good results.  Takes about two cans to do the inside of a fender but they look brand-new when they're done.  All I do to prep the insides is scrub them with Super Clean and a ScotchBrite pad.

Life is short - Drive sideways.

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
Ive used both of those already on another project I had. The rustoluem acrylic automotive line kicks serious butt for what it is but im trying to use more professional paints just because I dont want to have to touch them up later.  However, the rusto stuff was surprising good thick paint not like their other crap.  The vht chassis and roll bar paint is ok and is extremely easy to use but it didnt stand up well to salt and brake fluid leaks and it faded in 6 months.  Touch up tho was almost too easy but I since I got my whole clip off I wanted to endulge a little and use more of what is considered a professional product.  I was gonna do my rear end and leaf springs with the rusto too.  Nothing against those paints but I reaaly wanna go over the top for the car because I got 2 weeks off from work and take my time and do a extremely thorough job.

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »
I used the Trim Black on my Trim parts GREAT Stuff!  Really sounds like you need to go the next step and either use the 2K type products or get the paint single stage paint mixed and use one of those Compressed gas kits if you don't have a  capable compressor.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
Whats a compressed gas kit? I do have a compressor that is rated at 5.8 cfm at 40 psi. I could do a cheap lvlp gun but I dont have any of the extras for paint like a water and oil filter. I painted my ta like that once and got fish eyes everywhere. Im also afraid of mixing the hardener wrong and messing up the paint thats why eastwoods 2k line is so appealing its just puncture the bottom on the bottom and shoot.

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 07:29:13 PM »
Whats a compressed gas kit? I do have a compressor that is rated at 5.8 cfm at 40 psi. I could do a cheap lvlp gun but I dont have any of the extras for paint like a water and oil filter. I painted my ta like that once and got fish eyes everywhere. Im also afraid of mixing the hardener wrong and messing up the paint thats why Eastwoods 2k line is so appealing its just puncture the bottom on the bottom and shoot.
They should have the 2k stuff at your local paint supply shop as well. I know at mine they have it mixed in Black and have the Clear as well.  Pricey but I think the results would be worth it.  They sell little glass containers/jars with a little attachable compressed can as a kit at Lowes and HD.  I will see if I can find the name, I know there are utube videos on the stuff.

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
This is the stuff I was thinking of:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-Sprayer-Val-Pack-Kit-0223/203826723?N=5yc1vZarthZ7vb
comes in smaller kits too but at least you can check it out!

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 08:32:28 PM »
Tractor supply also has paint if you want to mix a hardener in and shoot with a gun.  Its made for equipment.  Thats mostly what ive been shooting on my frame.  My build is titled "78 TA slow build"  if you want to see some pics

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
Lol silver78 Ive been following your thread and actually checked that stuff out at tsc. Its called magix right? Your build looks awesome so far too.  I heard about the preval before oldschool would it cover an area that big like my entire engihe compartment

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
That paint is pretty forgiving.  You could buy a qrt and a bottle of hardener.  Just cut the mix ratio.  I know it's a sin but I used Ford gray on my front sub frame.

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:58:58 PM »
You just fill the containers and I think the one kit comes with a couple of the glass cups and 2 af the propellants?  That other $27 kit comes with several of each and you use your color paint like you would for normal mixes.  I would think you could get a quart or pint mixed at the Local Paint supply and ask them what ratio of reducer you would need for a Preval sprayer?

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:58 AM »
Oldschool I didnt see that link you sent me of the preval sprayer im gonna have to look it up again.  This probably wont work but what about a wagner turbine paint sprayer? My fiance bought me one for xmas. Im pretty sure the automotive paint would ruin the internals but what if I clean it out?

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
That I am not sure about, I bet there is a reason people don't use those?  Think it is a High Pressure High Volume maybe?  Whereas most the detail and automotive ones I have seen are HVLP maybe?

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »
Makes sense probably too much overspray and less control

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:21 PM »

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »
Thanks for everyones help but I think im gonna just order all chassis black 2k cans in satin black and gloss black for my subframe just because its convenient and simple.  Its kinda funny im actually trying to stick to the keep it simple route for once and not mix and match stuff. I always get unorganized and mess up when im do that and from everything I read the eastwood stuff is tough as nails and super uv resistant. Sounds like a good plan to you guys?

silver78

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 08:21:43 PM »
sounds like a plan.  post some pics for us 8)

Previous builds:
65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
72 Nova SS
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
VHT GM Satin Black Engine Enamel
Excellent coverage, great, tough finish. Perfect satin black engine and chassis paint.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

transamdan

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
I was thinking about vht ill have to try it on another project. Btw eastwood is selling their extreme chassis black spray cans half off today.  I got mine for 9.99 a can for the subframe. Its a phone only sale and im not sure if its just for today or not but heres an opportunity for yall to get some cheap. Its not their 2k stuff but their higher end original stuff

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 02:03:06 PM »
You can help support TAC!