Author Topic: Finishing my 78 restoration  (Read 18774 times)

1blk1

• Oracle Forum Member
  • '79 WS6 W72 M21
Re: Finishing my 78 restoration
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
You have the hard part of the heater core done already.  Now just take the passenger seat out and console.  Remove the glove box door and liner along with A/C ducted.  If I remember right there are 3 or 4 studs going through the firewall.  Take the nuts off and the HVAC linkage and the heater box will come out.  It's tight but it will come out.  Replace heater core and reverse process. 

Test the new heater core before you reinstall it!

agreed...wish I could get at mine that easy
"the more im around people, the more i like my dogs"

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” Carl Sagan

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 01:34:18 AM »
I had my whole front end strip down and I did a lot of powder coat. Powder coat is a really great idea and if it is your budget I would recommend it, however POR 15 is a great way to go. Either way you decide, the main idea is to get it as clean as possible now while it's all opened up., and paint it. In addition to looking good to prevent future rust issues.
Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1972Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Well I had a little time to work on the TA for a little bit this evening before the rain hit I got the nose off and although I did sand the entire radiator support down to bare metal with paint stripper and a die grinder. But I didn't get a pic of it I got caught up and forgot  :mad:. You can see in the pic that the top is still in bare metal I am waiting on my paint I ordered from the Eastwood company to paint that and the fire wall. I painted the rest of it with an epoxy gloss black it is self etching and last for ever well almost.

The trans cross member, lower control arms and sway bars I'm going to powder coat. And if the powder coater has a big enough over I am thinking about powder coating the wheel wells also.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
Well I hadn't posted progress lately but I have been making progress its a far cry from what it did look like and started the reassembly process. Some of may not be exactly a factory appearance but I think it looks awesome and so does my wife and that's saying a lot as she hates the TA for some reason??

I went back with the same springs I was going to lower it a little but decided against it but it is now sporting all new bushings, bump stops and looking nice and fresh.

I did get the heater core changed out and while I was in there I removed all the air ducts washed them as they where nasty and put it all back together. The condenser housing had a hole and a crack in it from the previous owners handy work so you can see in the pics were I did a fiber glass patch and resealed the entire box good as new. I replaced the wiper motor, plastic cowl vent, new soft seal, and repainted the wiper mechanics turned out nice.

Next I ordered a rebuild kit for my steering gear box the input shaft seal was leaking. Once I got the rebuild kit and opened it I almost decided to just change the seal that was leaking as the repair kit is a little intimidating! But I figured what the hell its do or die so I jumped right into it.

This is the out put shaft I didn't get any pics of the input shaft seal but they looked just about the same. This was very time consuming (took 4.5hrs) and tedious for me anyway so I didn't get a lot of pics.

These are the shaft seals and washers they just stack one on top the other and held in with a simple C-clip

This is the internals of the worm gear and out put shaft seal I did get a pic of it note the orange and white colored seals

There are 3 seals followed by 3 O-rings that make up the out put seals to the worm gear and the purple seal is on the piston it is now ready to go back together. The piston and worm gear housing went in from the back while the worm gear went in from the front I'm sure I did this wrong from what an experienced rebuilder would had done it but this way worked for me.

I polished up the out put shaft before reassembling it

This is the top plate it has a metal backing gasket that you replace.

The finished product I did bead blast both aluminum housings and today after work I will strip the gear box and repaint it cast iron gray it was to late last night to get it all done I started this at 6pm and finished at 10:30 last night. Like any thing else its a learning process I think I could do it again in half the time but I hope that isn't going to happen as I did not like doing this!

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
I finished up my gear box and got it painted turned out very nice when this car is finally done I'm not sure I am going to want to drive it and get it dirty.  :grin: Naw who am I kidding as soon as its done I will be driving it like I stole it! I went to the salvage yard yesterday and scored a cruise control vacuum servo that I was needing and the heater stove for the exhaust manifold off a 77 Bonnieville. Sweet!

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
Looking good, nice work on the steering box.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »
I hadn't posted in a while but there has been progress being made just hadn't updated it. Sometime before me the previous owner thought it would be a good idea to chew a hole in the inner fender to change the blower motor. I didn't want to order a new one and I wasn't going to put it back on looking like this so had to devise a plan.

So I cut the piece out and laid sheet metal over the cut out piece and welded a lip on it to fit the fender.

Then I screwed and hammered it to fit like a glove and then sent it off to be powder coated should look nice when it's done.

I did get my brake booster and master cylinder mounted and the brake lines run along with the new rotors and brake calipers. Just need brake pads then I can bleed the system then this part will be done!

After taking my heads down and inspecting them I couldn't help but notice the amount of nasty casting marks in them. So I just started out doing a pocket port job on the bowls and it turned out being a full port and polish. I didn't reshape them I just removed the casting marks and opened the bowls up from that huge lip they all had. Then I cut down the sharp lip the combustion chambers had in them to unshroud the intake valve and polish the chambers.

It's hard for me to believe this car ran as good as it did after looking at the ports on these heads so with this medium port job this car should run a lot better with this upgrade alone.

This is just one head I still got the other head to finish I probably got about 12 hours in this head.

rad400

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2014, 05:55:03 AM »
very nice.
Conrad
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, u wanna hit, but ur afraid of the consequences." Brian Hedrick

TransAmMan

• Active Forum Member
  • 1978 /461 Stroker / 4 spd / 2nd Gen Hurst Hatches
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2014, 06:46:01 AM »
Looking AMAZING!
~~There will never be a sweeter ride then the Trans Am~~

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
I hadn't up dated in a while but steady work has been going on I have got all the suspension done brakes are all done and bled. After taken my interior half back apart to figure out why my electric door locks wouldn't turned out to be the switch but that is all done now.

I finally finished up the heads I fully ported them, milled the surface 4 thousands, milled the exhaust surface so it would be straight, the biggest thing is I decided to go with a bee hive spring set up, with 10 degree locks. Stainless steel high swirl valves 2.11/1.77 bronze guides and positive seals. The CC chambers checked out at 92cc. I think they turned out super nice!

I rebuilt the tranny completely with Alto red clutches, Kevlar band, 700R4 spag and race, I machined the forward to to accept 5 clutches. I rebuilt the valve body to were I think it should be I won't know until I drive it maybe it won't shift to hard?

Intake is also ported cleaned painted and ready. I will get the block to the machine shop in a week or 2. I decided to go with solid body bushings and subframe connectors so in the next weeks I will install the body bushings and hang my fenders, hood to get all the lines worked out then weld in the subframes. Then take the fenders back off and be waiting on the engine and tranny to drop in I'm kinda going backwards on this since I done hung the frame, but it will be all for the better.

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:06 AM »
Wow, hats off to you for your hard work!  You are doing things I wouldn't even consider.  And my head would be spinning with all the things going at once. 

The solid body mounts and connectors are the only way to go.  An overdrive tranny is also a real plus.  The heads and intake look great.  You are the downhill side now, keep us posted.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 09:33:14 PM »
Wow, hats off to you for your hard work!  You are doing things I wouldn't even consider.  And my head would be spinning with all the things going at once. 

The solid body mounts and connectors are the only way to go.  An overdrive tranny is also a real plus.  The heads and intake look great.  You are the downhill side now, keep us posted.

Thanks! I'm not sure I am on the down hill run but defiantly at the peak I have to take one thing at a time or I would of spun my head off already. I guess I tricked you though as that is the original TH350 tranny but when I am done I will install a gear vendors overdrive behind the th350.

wheatie8252

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:08 AM »
Great work on the T/A!!  How much power do you think you will get by porting and polishing the heads and intake?  Are you going to upgrades the cam.  Just curious as to what numbers you might get compared to a stock setup.  Thanks again.

cbloomquist

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 07:16:56 AM »
Awesome Job!  Just read through your thread and I agree with you about each person's opinion on a 'restore'.  It can be amazing what you find after someone else has already been there.  I hadn't seen anyone tackle a steering box rebuild.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  Not sure I have the patience to do that myself!

1976 Pontiac Trans Am 455/4spd
1978 Pontiac Trans Am 400/4spd - Sold
1979 Pontiac Trans Am SE - Sold

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:45 AM »
Thanks for reading thru my thread I hadn't done much since the cold weather set in. I talked with Jim over at Butler performance and I have followed his word to a tee on what to do I think he said it should be around 415hp but I could be wrong?? The cam is a roller and one of his grinds I think and I believe it is a 230-236 duration but I will have to look tomorrow to be sure. I have everything to assembly the engine minus rockers and push rods. Once I assemble the engine I will take it and put it on a engine dyno and see what it will really do. I will keep you posted once I start back at it

« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 12:09:45 AM »

1975W87

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Nice job car is looking great!  Nice metal work on the floors. Do you have a 110 or 220 welder?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:16:52 PM by 1975W87 »

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2015, 10:35:41 PM »
Nice job car is looking great!  Nice metal work on the floors. Do you have a 110 or 220 welder?

1975W87 I have a 110 volt welder it is a Lincoln 180 I believe?? The weather is starting to get right so it is just about TA weather working time!

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
I hadn't been on in a while but work has not stopped this Wednesday I will take the car over to my paint guy and I am going to have the entire car repainted the paint on the door and finder is not going to be able to be matched so we are going to redo the whole car. I have finally got my block back and have wasted no time fitting the 461 into the block I just got to degree the cam order rocker arms and measure for pushrods. By the end of July I hope to have had it on the engine dyno tuned and ready to be dropped in the car!

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2015, 08:50:15 AM »
I hadn't been on in a while but work has not stopped this Wednesday I will take the car over to my paint guy and I am going to have the entire car repainted the paint on the door and finder is not going to be able to be matched so we are going to redo the whole car. I have finally got my block back and have wasted no time fitting the 461 into the block I just got to degree the cam order rocker arms and measure for pushrods. By the end of July I hope to have had it on the engine dyno tuned and ready to be dropped in the car!

Just found your thread.  Looking great.  I'm in full restoration on a 77, (http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=56714).  However, I don't have the know-how to do the metal or engine work, so I'm doing what I can.  I'd love to do it all as I'd think it brings you great satisfaction.  Good luck on its completion.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
TA6.6 before I started on this car I had never done floor pans so I just got to cutting, welding and learned. Building engines 20yrs ago I picked up a ford 302 rebuilt it just to see if I could only using a Chilton manual so reach deep inside you may find you can do a lot more than you think.

I hadn't got a lot done over the week end other than get my cam degreed in and that turned out to be a ordeal I could not get the cam numbers to match up I worked at it for 2 days. I was about to throw in the towel as I have done this a few dozen times I was beginning to think I had the wrong cam. But come to find out my brand new dial indicator I just picked up was off .007 every .050 so I changed back over to my old dial indicator and it all worked out the first time. What a relief!

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
I am getting closer and closer to having the engine together timing chain cover and water pump are installed. The oil pan would be on also but forgot to order the pan gasket  :x

As we progress on our builds its funny how we change our minds on how and what we will do. In the beginning I was just going to do a basic rebuild and keep everything factory so now I can stretch the word to (looking factory). Now that I have a stroker installed, ported heads and roller cam. Now I have made the decision to (not) go back with the stock intake but either a Hurricane or Performer RPM??? I will be putting this engine on the dyno once it is built so I may just do a intake swap on the dyno and see what is best for me and how they both perform. For the exhaust as of now I am still sticking with Ram air manifolds but if possible I maybe able to try a set of headers on the dyno also. As I get closer I will get all this figured out.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2015, 10:59:45 AM »
Progress has been made I just hadn't updated in a while from the start of this rebuild to know has changed directions a dozen times for me but hey that's what makes it interesting right? As of right now the car sets at Stricktland paint & body I found the guy locally great guy he took in my car and started on it right away and by the end of the day it should be in fresh code 50. I will post the new pic asap

The engine is just about complete I have painted the intake and valley pan to match the rest of the engine but do not have a pic of it by the end of next week I should have my carb and exhaust manifolds. I have decided against going back with the stock manifold and went with the Tomahawk intake one of the many changes.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
Lucky for me I am working pretty close to the body shop so I can leave work and go check on it not painted yet but it is defiantly close.

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »
Enjoying seeing your progress. Thanks!
Steve F.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2015, 11:22:26 PM »
It now has fresh paint just needs to be wet sanded and buffed should be done by the end of the week.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »
Well here I am trying to bring this thread and car back from the dead it has been a long rough road ever since I went in for new paint. In the pic the paint looked great but there was block marks in the roof, the driver fender and hood had some black specs of something in the paint I couldn't live with it. So had to repaint those 3 spots it has went down hill from here! When the resprays took place that's where it went wrong the paint fish eyed just my luck so I had him re-sand the entire car this time and spray the entire car again. Looked great strated pulling the plastic and tape off just my luck the paint didn't adhere to the previous paint to the entire car! Now we have to sand the paint off the entire car re-prime the car wet sand buy more Solar Gold paint. Then the guy from the shop calls me and ask if I have the new gallon of paint NO I don't have it so now some idiot at the shop has either took home my paint or ended up throwing it away! No paint to be found anywhere!

At this point the car sets dormant for almost 2 years now it needs to be repreped and reprime it with a 1K primer. So he starts spraying the primer right in the middle of spraying it his darn shop air compressor busted the lines coming out the compressor half way thru the fist coat. So now then he wet sanded it with 400 thinking we would just go ahead and spray the base and clear. Nope we ain't going to do that I want the entire car reprimed. So it has set dormant for another year untill today when I walked in and said this car is getting painted now! I'm tiered of the nonsense we have to get this car done!
This is how the car looks now sad and pitiful I am praying this go round will go smoothly I have totally restored a 79 TA and I just recently repainted my 86 Mustang GT with very little problems the Y88 has to get done it's time. This has been a nightmare. Looking back the black specs and block marks don't look so bad but I'm a perfectionist and I want it close to perfect!

This picture was taken a year ago I forgot to get a new pic today but this is how it looks. I pray this car will have fresh paint in the next week or so.

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
Well its not been an easy road getting to this point I can only hope I can have my car back home in the next coming weeks. The front bumper has been an issue I decided to order a repo bumper in hope to save time and money but this ended up not being the case. The repo bumper fitment was so far off I deemed it unusable but then trying to get my money back on it was a whole other issue. So I went to work on my original bumper it needed a lot of work I stripped it completely, had a hole I had to fix and some warps I had to get out.

After at least 20hrs of work I got it back to a usable piece

For the rest of the car we shot it with epoxy primer and then the car sat idle until 2 days ago. So this last Thursday we prepped the car ready for paint.

I seen this stand at Summit and figured it could be really useful and it did come in handy for fenders

This saturday morning 3 of us got on the car with everything preeped we sealed the car with Nason 422-50 we then shot the PPg Solar Gold but with a slightly different tint per my directions. I shot 4 coats then color sanded the entire car then shot 4 more coats tacked between each coat.

I shot 4 coats of PPg Deltron 2021 clear except for the jams they only got 2 coats it turned out really good super clean looking. We started at 8am Saturday morning and finished up at 7:40pm the same day super long day but very much worth it.

I can't wait to get the car out in the sun light these pics do it no justice my build has taken a slight build from the begining i was going to go back just as it was from the factory except for the 461 stroker. Now i will be going back fuel injection, 4L80e, rear disc conversion I would like to swap out the front suspension for some tubular A-arms. For wheels I am thinking maybe a set of 18's only time will tell. As for now there is a lot of wet sanding and buffing to do plus I still have all the small pieces to shoot still i hope to shoot them this comong weekend.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 05:10:35 AM »
Wow! Great update! Look like a killer paint job! Great work.
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
Looks Beautiful! I do have a question though, why did you sand after 4 coats then shoot on 4 more?
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »
Looks Beautiful! I do have a question though, why did you sand after 4 coats then shoot on 4 more?

We color sanded the paint basically you shoot the base paint either the color of the car or you can even do a different color. You wet sand the base paint then shoot the final color base it will give you a way better looking paint job in the end. It's just a lot of work and more money spent.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2018, 07:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2018, 11:06:06 AM »
You wet sand the base paint then shoot the final color base it will give you a way better looking paint job in the end.

Some writeups say never sand the base coat, but I have done it like above and it came out fine.  It can smooth it out and allow that last coat of color to go on perfect.

The paint job looks great even in the low light photos.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
The paint came out perfect as is it's turned out as good as a factory paint job the clear laid super flat. The wet sanding and buffing should be pretty easy I prepped all the small part I hope to have them painted in the next few days.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2018, 06:37:30 AM »
Again, just a simple question but if your clear came out so nice why would you sand and buff? Could you not just leave it alone?
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

4wheeling79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
Again, just a simple question but if your clear came out so nice why would you sand and buff? Could you not just leave it alone?

There is no doubt a lot of people would just roll with it however there is a few nibs in the clear and one spot has a slight orange peel. Since I have went this far I might as well wet sand and buff it out the paint will look so much better once done.

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 09:56:30 PM »
You can help support TAC!