Author Topic: What cam to use in a 301 Turbo  (Read 1902 times)

Swanny454

• Active Forum Member
What cam to use in a 301 Turbo
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
Hey guys, I pulled my Turbo engine out of my 80 Trans Am since it had two dead cylinders.  Upon tearing it down I found that it had stuck rings from sitting for 25 years.  Anyway, the engine is in perfect shape and still has the cross hatching in the cylinders, no ring groove and the rods and mains look like brand new. After inspecting the cam I found one lifter with rust pitting and the lobe has wear on it. I am reringing and replacing the rod bearings.  I am also going to replace the camshaft, I have done research and there is tons of opionions on if you hurt performance with an aftermarket camshaft.  I have seen guys using the Comp Cams 250-252-256-258 cams.  I am not really concerned about the performance aspect.  It's a 301 Turbo, LOL.  It is going to be a weekend cruiser, and I would like a little rough idle.   I so thought about the Thumper cam series but I don't think that lobe separation will be conductive with the turbo.  I also posted this on the 301 garage but have not had any response yet.  Any input would be great guys.  I have the heads out getting redone right now and want to have a cam by the end of the week.   

What cam to use in a 301 Turbo
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
You can help support TAC!