transamcountry.com
August 30, 2014, 06:12:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Monkey-Fast and Loud - Bandit T/A  (Read 15394 times)
737driver
Active Forum Member

"Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 02:26:12 AM »

I'm looking forward to this episode, and I hope it's as good as the hype. Either way I'm looking forward to it!
I do believe it would be interesting to see the numbers on remaining 2nd gen's out there.

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
N PRGRES
Active Forum Member

djcoak
Email
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 04:03:33 AM »

You have to remember that these are not well made cars, no car was in that era, poor quality control, and almost no corrosion control from the factory (remember zibart?) was the demise of many firebird.  What the owners didn't destroy the environment did.  As other cars like chevelles and bel airs continue to rise, and as baby boomers become able to afford the cars they grew up with, the ta will rise in value

Dave

81 Trans Am
flybird
Active Forum Member

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 04:34:09 PM »

On Gas Monkey last night they showed the TA being painted and driven with a shot of the font so I guess there is no secret there anymore so I am posting the one I have. I have another but better not post it until after they show it.

Not a big fan of this idea but at least they didn't put that monkey face on the door or whatever.

Now, that would be bad.

Or did they....?  Confused

Did they put the MONKEY on the HOOD??????
solargold
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »

Show aires tomorrow night. Have to wait and see. It is likely though you will have to wait until the second episode to know the answer to that question as the car probably made by Gas Monkey wont be revealed until them. They use Ricks car in Florida with Burt. I can say Ricks car does not have a Monkey on the hood.

My name is Mike and I am a Trans Am addict
tr709
Active Forum Member

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

You have to remember that these are not well made cars, no car was in that era, poor quality control, and almost no corrosion control from the factory (remember zibart?) was the demise of many firebird.  What the owners didn't destroy the environment did.  As other cars like chevelles and bel airs continue to rise, and as baby boomers become able to afford the cars they grew up with, the ta will rise in value

I agree on the rust. I got my license in 1981 in NJ and I can tell you that you had to be on the lookout for rust when shopping for used 2nd gens that were 4-5 year old daily drivers.

67 Firebird Convert
80 Formula Turbo
737driver
Active Forum Member

"Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."

WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »

I agree rust is a bad thing. I got my TA in Palm Springs , which was lucky. However the car was in long beach California for the first 4 years and was originally bought in Michigan . There was some surface rust on the hood roof and trunk tops , but nothing serious, just not helping the paint.
The rest of the car was very rust free and I was thankful for that.
I grew up in NJ , and a very good friend of mine bought a 79 in 1988 while we were in high school. It was in good shape but even then was showing signs of problematic rust in prone areas. I helped him work on the car a lot, but corrosion can be a pain.
So one important aspect in my restoration was insuring the car was more corrosion protected. It was a little extra work, but I hope it pays off in the long run.

1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
MrAFX
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 06:23:41 PM »

I agree on the rust. I got my license in 1981 in NJ and I can tell you that you had to be on the lookout for rust when shopping for used 2nd gens that were 4-5 year old daily drivers.

Thread Hijack.

GREAT LOOKIN FORMULA!
Nick623
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »

25k for a 77 TA with a 403? Wonder if it's a real SE.
Pontiacnut7077
Active Forum Member

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »

Looks like a 78 with  403 olds..what are the odds that it's one of the 210 L80 Y84 cars?

My Cars:
70 Formula 400 4spd Lucerne Blue
76 LE TA 455 4sd t-top (1 of 110)
77 Firebird (1st car) 400 4spd
78 SE TA Auto
78 TA W72 Chester Brown 4spd
98 TA Red Auto

My Fathers cars:
1970 Formula RAIII 4spd Goldenrod Yellow
1976 TA 455 4spd Goldenrod Yellow
1978 TA W72 4spd Black
2002 Collectors Edition
tr709
Active Forum Member

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

Thread Hijack.

GREAT LOOKIN FORMULA!

Thanks!

67 Firebird Convert
80 Formula Turbo
Dans Am
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »

It had Hurst tops, so not a Y84 and I doubt it was a real SE since it was missing all of the SE stripes. Still enjoyed watching the show. Always cool to see a T/A on TV.

1977 Trans Am Y81 SE / Matching #'s W72 400 / 25k original miles
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2001 Camaro SS SLP Lid / Cam / Headers / Magnaflow Exhaust / ZR-1 Wheels
alanflies
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »

25k seems a bit much for a 403 clone with a busted motor...

Guess that's why they are giving it away...

Soooo....how many TACers registered to win the Gas Monkey T/A...I did...  
ta6point6
Oracle Forum Member

going bandit-REYNOLDS style

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

I am not a big fan of fast and loud but it's cool see little Enis on the show.

T hrashing  A ll
R icers        M ustangs  
A t
N ight
S tomping
http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/ta6point6/Y84%20Trans%20Am/
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 10:30:16 PM »

When I saw the massive 5 grand consecutive burnouts and doughnuts in the parking lot before they pulled it inside, I could only imagine what that reciprocating assembly was experiencing. "Gee, this car has spun brgs". I wonder why?  Confused (Are you kidding me?!.) $140K for that car??!! Even if it had a blown LS motor with a 6 speed, tube chassis, and full cage, it wouldn't be worth that. I'll just never understand how the "otherside" lives.

"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
yahooskidoo
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »

I DID!!
Chewey
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:10 PM »

Weren't the Year One BRE Ban 2's going for around $150k?

-mike

78 Trans Am 400 Auto (Dec 06 HPP)
76 Trans Am 455/4sp w/ t-tops (1 of 110)
02 Trans Am CETA Convertible M6 #1949

Jeff Rager
Oracle Forum Member

Chattanooga, Tn, 2000 WS6 Formula

Email
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 06:03:18 AM »

I noticed the Hurst hatches right off the bat too...
mark369
Oracle Forum Member

Indiana north of Louisville, KY

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 06:44:34 AM »

How? when? where?

80 T/A under 1/2 shell replacement (on hold)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=49370.0
2 Firebird Esprit T/A Clones become ONE (on hold)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=54976.0
T/A Thing #2 ( Progressing ) http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=63923.0
dgoodspeed
Active Forum Member

davidegoodspeed
Email
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »

I agree with the popularity on the rise for sure.  The 'ol boy I bought my '79 TATA from says he gets about 8-10 TA's a year to flip them and do it fast...cause they dont' stick around.  He's got other models of cars in his garage and they just sit and are hard sales. 

I probably overpaid for my TATA, but it was a local buy and came very well documented what had been done to it mechanically so I got to check it out.  Like one other member said they were built poorly and not intended to last this long or become iconic like this so now I'm like everyone else trying to bring it to some sort of glory and never really get finished with the car!

BUT I will tell you and I bet everyone agrees that when you tell people like I do "Yeah I drive a 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am"....they completely flip out.   Smooth flip out.

I have had late 60's Mustangs and no one flipped out like they do when I say Trans Am.

God I love and hate this car at the same time.  It's a "I love you, but I want to kill you." kinda thing.  If it could only talk to me and say "here's what needs to be fixed next since you JUST finished THAT project!"  Smile

But I would never and never will own any older muscle car besides this....
Milly
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

The second most interesting man in the world.

jmkmilhauser1@msn.com john.milhauser@yahoo.com
john.milhauser
Email
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 07:11:14 AM »

Yes, but Year One replaced everything they could on those cars, and they had modern brakes, wheels, suspension, and drivetrains. I count the "Pontiac" engines Y.O. installed as modern because they were aftermarket blocks, cranks, and heads.

John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird
2004 Grand Prix GT2
2004 GTO
solargold
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »

I think they end up rebuilding the motor a second time in the show next week. A clip of such is eluded to in the clip for next week. I think the show is all about The Show. I think the numbers are just numbers for TV. If the guy bought the car then why are they giving it away? $140K? I have 4 items signed by Burt Reynolds for my TA's and none will bring that kind of money.

My name is Mike and I am a Trans Am addict
BARRACUDA1968
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »

Things I noticed watching the show.  The car is a clone.  Had the red Pontiac emblem on the nose, the steering wheel is bent, looks like someone painted the chrome trim flat black, no stripes, no decals on the shaker.

The car they are building is listed as a 77 but isn't the car they are giving away a 78?

The next episode where they go to Burt's house is not in the car they are building.  It doesn't have the YO's on it.  Unless they used the car for filming before they tore it apart?

The other thing I saw them do was dump the exhaust in front of the axles.  I can't believe anyone would do that on a Trans Am unless they didn't have the time to route new exhaust around the 4 link?

For 70K plus another 40K that car better have something other than a 403 and an overdrive tranny with bolt on suspension or I'm asking waaaaaay to little for my Red T/A.

I love the show and watch it every week.  I mainly like the characters.  The doo doo^ they coble together is mind blowing sometimes but that's the entertaining part.  Like breaking in the cam on the Shelby with Oreilly's oil and some zinc additive.  No timing light either. Shocked  I'd be too embarrassed to show that on TV and call myself a builder.

I'm looking forward to next week to see what motor they put in the car.  If it's a rebuilt 403 I'll just be shaking my head.

Red 1978 Trans Am                  Black 1978 Trans Am            Y88 1978 Trans Am
Butler Performance 461             Butler Performance 474         400 4 Speed
Built Trans with 3000 stall         400 Trans with 2800 stall       Fisher T Top
Pro Touring suspension             17" Year One Rims                1 of 1276 PHS Docs
17" Year One Rims
SOLD
Chewey
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »

Yes, but Year One replaced everything they could on those cars, and they had modern brakes, wheels, suspension, and drivetrains. I count the "Pontiac" engines Y.O. installed as modern because they were aftermarket blocks, cranks, and heads.

Exactly. I'd rather spend an extra 10% to have a car built by guys who know what they're doing with these cars with tested combinations than what is essentially a backyard build with Burt's signature on it...

-mike

78 Trans Am 400 Auto (Dec 06 HPP)
76 Trans Am 455/4sp w/ t-tops (1 of 110)
02 Trans Am CETA Convertible M6 #1949

BLURR
Oracle Forum Member

BlurrTransam blurr1977
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »

Things I noticed watching the show.  The car is a clone.  Had the red Pontiac emblem on the nose, the steering wheel is bent, looks like someone painted the chrome trim flat black, no stripes, no decals on the shaker.

The car they are building is listed as a 77 but isn't the car they are giving away a 78?

The next episode where they go to Burt's house is not in the car they are building.  It doesn't have the YO's on it.  Unless they used the car for filming before they tore it apart?

The other thing I saw them do was dump the exhaust in front of the axles.  I can't believe anyone would do that on a Trans Am unless they didn't have the time to route new exhaust around the 4 link?

For 70K plus another 40K that car better have something other than a 403 and an overdrive tranny with bolt on suspension or I'm asking waaaaaay to little for my Red T/A.

I love the show and watch it every week.  I mainly like the characters.  The doo doo^ they coble together is mind blowing sometimes but that's the entertaining part.  Like breaking in the cam on the Shelby with Oreilly's oil and some zinc additive.  No timing light either. Shocked  I'd be too embarrassed to show that on TV and call myself a builder.

I'm looking forward to next week to see what motor they put in the car.  If it's a rebuilt 403 I'll just be shaking my head.

In 77 the arrowhead was red on the SE's and window trim on all SE's was a semi flat black. I believe the car they are doing is a 77 cause the grilles, roof and interior are correct for a 77. Now not sure if its a correct SE or not.

The car theypull up to Burt in isnt thesame car. Its another car they take to get his sig. On the others glove box door.

Joe
1970 grabber Green Mustang Mach 1 351C/Auto
1971 Lucerne Blue Formula 400/4 speed
1979 Mayan Red Formula WS6 400/Auto
1991 White Toyota Pickup 4 cyl/Auto (Daily Driver)
2000 Navy Blue Metallic Formula LS1/6 speed
BARRACUDA1968
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »

Didn't know about the Red Pontiac emblem on the 77's, thought it would be the same as 78.

The trim is painted Satin black but theirs looks off to me?  Maybe just the camera playing tricks on me.

Red 1978 Trans Am                  Black 1978 Trans Am            Y88 1978 Trans Am
Butler Performance 461             Butler Performance 474         400 4 Speed
Built Trans with 3000 stall         400 Trans with 2800 stall       Fisher T Top
Pro Touring suspension             17" Year One Rims                1 of 1276 PHS Docs
17" Year One Rims
SOLD
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: