transamcountry.com
July 23, 2014, 04:24:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who`s Polish do you use before waxing?  (Read 700 times)
T/A GUY
Active Forum Member

« on: October 23, 2013, 06:16:35 PM »

Who`s Polish do you use before waxing?
Looking to see what you guys are using for a polish before you wax and how you like it?
Newer Black/Clear coat T/A.
MD79TA
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »

I use all meguiars products.

Clay bar
Compound
Ultimate polish
Ultimate wax

I think they have a wax specifically for black cars too.

1979 Trans Am
307 RWHP 380RWTQ / 13.8@103
1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Cams, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base

1968 GTO convertible
400 auto with A/C
TA6.6Liter
Active Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, followed by Turtle Wax Black Wax.

Does anyone know where I can get a clay bar without buying the full package of products?  Just want the clay bar, nothing more.
MD79TA
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get a clay bar without buying the full package of products?  Just want the clay bar, nothing more.

Meguiar's has clay replacements. I believe it comes with 3 bars.

1979 Trans Am
307 RWHP 380RWTQ / 13.8@103
1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Cams, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base

1968 GTO convertible
400 auto with A/C
TA6.6Liter
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

Meguiar's has clay replacements. I believe it comes with 3 bars.

Maybe I can buy online.  I've just not found a brick & morter supplier (WalMart, O'Reilly) that sells the bars separately.  Just sold with wax, cleaners and microfiber cloths for about $20.
ZEFF
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »

I'm a BIG fan of Adams Polishes.   Its not cheap, but a big step up from the normal "over the counter" stuff.   I like it better than Zaino!   They are having a sale right now- 10% off PLUS free shipping.   Don't mean to sound like an ad...

1971 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 400 4 speed convertible
1967 Firebird 400 4 speed
1994 Formula Ram Air
1994 Dodge Viper

*previously owned*
1967 Firebird 455 convertible
1994 Firehawk
JA-81TTA
Active Forum Member

Pigs get fat,Hogs get slaughtered

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »

I'm a BIG fan of Adams Polishes.   Its not cheap, but a big step up from the normal "over the counter" stuff.   I like it better than Zaino!   They are having a sale right now- 10% off PLUS free shipping.   Don't mean to sound like an ad...
I swear by Adams use everything Adams the detail spray is the best detail spray I ever used and it smells like cotton candy
TTA80
Active Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »

The brands mentioned are all good recommendations.  I like the new "Synthetic Wax" from Mother's.  It goes on easy as a liquid, works great on clear coat.  It must have a type of cleaner built it because it removes quite a bit of residue from the clear coat finish? 

Paul

Member:  TTA80
1980 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car Edition (22,348 original miles)
1996 Corvette C4 (4,437 original miles)
Trevor
Active Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

I'm currently using Menzerna polishes. In the past it's been Pinnacle, Zaino, and Meguires M105 and M205.

76 T/A    12.19 ET
77 SE T/A  stock
02 WS6 T/A  Some work  13.15 ET
DarkStar
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »

For a quick wash and detail I use maguires. For a full detail its adams orbital buffer and polishing with maguires nxt wax.

2005 GTO
1978 T/A
GTABill
Active Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »

For a quick wash and detail I use maguires. For a full detail its adams orbital buffer and polishing with maguires nxt wax.

Same here when I have Adams products on hand.  Otherwise I will use the Meguiars M105, Meguiars #7 Show car glaze, then the NXT wax or the #26 Yellow wax.

91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........40,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot
PDC
Active Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »

I am a big time Adams' convert.  But I have always had fantastic results with the 3M Swirl Remover and the 3M Ultrafina using the color coordinated 3M dimpled foam pads and my FLEX polisher.  Of course it all depends on the condition of the paint you have to start with - some defects and scratches will be deep enough that there isn't really enough material surrounding the defect to safely polish away in order to smooth it out.  But provided you have pretty good depth of clear coat to start with, the 3M combo has always done me right.  Adams machine sealant is the absolute very best synthetic (non-carnuba) sealant/wax I have ever used.  Crystal clear even under high intensity LED lighting.  And the Americana Wax is just intoxicating when applied to properly prepped paint.

Oh, and the brand and type of paint really does make a huge difference with regard to which products work best.  My 3M products don't do anything to the ceramic/scratch-resistant clear coat on wifey's Mercedes ML.  I had to broaden my horizons and get to know the Menzerna line to properly correct that paint. And for some reason, the paint on my Green TA really responds to the Meguires Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish Duo. 
GTABill
Active Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »

I am a big time Adams' convert.  But I have always had fantastic results with the 3M Swirl Remover and the 3M Ultrafina using the color coordinated 3M dimpled foam pads and my FLEX polisher.  Of course it all depends on the condition of the paint you have to start with - some defects and scratches will be deep enough that there isn't really enough material surrounding the defect to safely polish away in order to smooth it out.  But provided you have pretty good depth of clear coat to start with, the 3M combo has always done me right.  Adams machine sealant is the absolute very best synthetic (non-carnuba) sealant/wax I have ever used.  Crystal clear even under high intensity LED lighting.  And the Americana Wax is just intoxicating when applied to properly prepped paint.

Oh, and the brand and type of paint really does make a huge difference with regard to which products work best.  My 3M products don't do anything to the ceramic/scratch-resistant clear coat on wifey's Mercedes ML.  I had to broaden my horizons and get to know the Menzerna line to properly correct that paint. And for some reason, the paint on my Green TA really responds to the Meguires Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish Duo.

I've got some of that machine sealant and agree with you completely and that is too true about the difference in clear coats. One of my regular customers would bring me different brands of cars and it is interesting how you have to do some experimenting to get the best results for each one.

91 Bright Red Trans AM GTA.........40,xxx original miles

"Anyone can make their life better if they choose to do what it takes to make it better"

Tea Party Patriot
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: