Author Topic: 79 TA 403 build FINALLY  (Read 21155 times)

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
  • this is gonna be a few years
79 TA 403 build FINALLY
« on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »
well i have been talking about it for months but im finally back with my baby. to start things off here is some pictures of around the car and inside it. its messy i know, i was working on the brake caliper and putting in a new door handle at the time but okay lets get started.

this is a shot from the passenger side, the dash is a bit torn apart because im working on the gauges and putting in that stupid printed circuit. replacing bulbs..etc.

here is a couple shots of the engine. its dirty and i havent really done anything to clean it up yet. i bought M/T valve covers (the old school ones that most of you remember)
and the green wire is a temporary wire i ran for the blower motor because it shorted out

this is the rust at the pillar and its getting worse, when i get it painted and pull the windshield i plan on getting the replacement part and welding it in (hopefully)

just replaced this today, anyone who didnt know how to open my door just made the crack bigger, so i got a replacement from ames. its a little too long but it was the 15 dollar one.

now what can i do about this? any ideas? the body filler someone used is cracking out and these are loose and the rattle

this is my makeshift weatherstripping that i had to stick on there while i was gone so water wouldnt leak in, i bought all new weatherstripping so i cannot wait to put it on!

and someones bad job at the dash cap, along the front side below the windshield just looks horrible, i have a dash i bought from a friend and i plan on putting it in! this is gross

and lastly i was working on the caliper because it was so rusted and the pins were seized up brake line busted. but its going well, i need all new suspension parts, sway bar links, tie rod ends, ball joints, stuff like that, they are all starting to dry rot

anyone have any advice or comments or questions i would greatly appreciate it! thanks!

1979 Trans Am. 403 auto. but at least its numbers matching?
my build thread http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=60987.0

OneT

• Active Forum Member
Re: 79 TA 403 build FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
I would like to see a pic of the whole car.

I would suggest you pick one area at a time and see it perfect before you move to the next step in the long term vision for your car.  That will give you those small victories that keep the passion level high and drive you to the next step!
Cheers,
Mat

1976 Trans Am Firethorn Red

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:08:26 AM »
If the car is outside, fixing the roof centre would be my first job....you'll need to pull the headliner and seal, cut that rust out and plate in some steel. Luckily, if you're paying someone, thats not a complex panel / section to repair.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
it wasnt just me, i was working on the suspension today  as my buddy started to tear everything out of the car, i have the inside almost gutted, i took everything out except steering column and heater box, and wiring. i should get some of my suspension parts done tomorrow, and while i wait for the other parts to arrive i will begin fixing the floor, i found two rust holes in the floor pan and thats it. fixing those and then putting my carpet in and everything back into the interior. if you dont know, im fixing the car back to the factory colors. white with carmine interior. i cant afford the seat covers door panels and headliner right now. but i will have them in a few weeks. ill upload pictures from today probably tomorrow morning. it was exciting to get to work on it again. first time in 8 months. so i wanted to fix everything. and leigh if i fix those on the roof, should i paint over the fixed portion for now? im not getting it painted until next summer. thanks guys any questions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
well i got alot done in the past 2 days, working 26 hours in the two days so i have been busy and tired.
but anyways here is what i got done with the interior so far, i startedto strip it out

i found 3 small holes in the floors and they arent too bad, about the size of a quarter.

then i was trying to get my seats out, and i tried everything to not break it but i snapped one bolt

thats it for the body, i only took this one picture, but the rotors only have about 1300 miles on them so i didnt bother to change them but you can see my new caliper, and i put sway bar links, upper and lower ball joints and outter tie rod ends on. and those studs on the upper ball joint were a big pain. i dont reallly have an air chisel or grinder or cutoff wheel so i was using a hammer and chisel. but i got them.

thats it for now, tomorrow im going to try and fix the floor and lay my carpet in and lay all my interior in. well i might do the dash first and make sure everything is grounded and wired correctly. i pulled out a group of 4 wires that someone cut at some point but im going through all of that tomorrw. then if i have time i want to put a couple hours in on my weather stripping. im tired of leaks  :shock:

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:37:05 AM »
OneT is right.

Pice ONE area and finish it before you move on.

That's the mistake I made.  I tore EVERYTHING apart (only because I wanted to know the full extent of rust.  Now I'm sorry I did) and it almost feels like biting off more than I can chew.

You, on the other hand, have A LOT less to deal with!  Keep up the good work and keep us posted  :grin:
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
alright well i had big electrical problems before i started this so i carefully went through the wiring and when i put the red dash in today i fixed everything. cleaned up the grounds. fixed loose wires.

i did put a new neutral saftey switch in today and my reverse lights still dont work so tomorrow im going to see if i got continuity from the switch to the connectors. if so ill have to trace it back farther.

also laid my new package tray in today to see how it fit, i dont like some pui products. and it fit really well  :shock:

and i started laying my used carpet in today. not bad for $5. im going new when i actually tear the body off the frame next year.

thats it for today though guys, and as always im open for advice, questions, and comments

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
My driver door handle had an identical look to yours before I replaced it.  My t-top also has a similar area.

Looks like you are already making good progress.  Mine had surface rust like that when I took it out of storage.  I used Loctite naval jelly and the Loctite rust converter spray to treat in what ever area I was working on.  At least it looked a lot better.  Later I went back and painted things like brackets, etc.  You will have to cut out those three bad spots in the floor though.

Good luck and keep us posted!
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
so i made good progress today, i have to put everything back together because im taking the car to NC on sunday. im just home on leave right now but i just need a few more carmine parts!
i sprayed rust stoppeer on all the rust holes and any rust i seen inside the car. laid the carpet down, put the dash, console, and seats in! no build sheet :( but hopefully its on the gas tank. i rewired the power windows with jacks thread and they work amazing now. im thinking about putting my clean perfect camel tan cloth sunvisors on PIF thread. but here we go.

Then here is what i ended up with at the end of the day

and i need some help with this. let me know if this video doesnt work. but after i redid all the grounds. any faulty wires. new dash circuit im still stupmed on my problem before my dash was taken out. the PO installed this cd player and im not sure how he hooked the power up or whats going on with it but the louder i play my music, the more my gauges dance to music. and my dash lights also. and my right turn signal lamp comes on to the music. voltage, water temp, oil pressure. all of those. but if i turn the volume all the way down it stops dancing and goes normal. any adivice?

anyone interested in these sun visors? the marks you see on them is just a little mud spots where i dropped the box on the wet ground. well it broke out but they are stain free and completely nice

Big Block Bird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Imma dummy!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
What part of nc ya coming to?
Respect the machine.

"Take care of the equipment, and the equipment will take care of you."

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »
havelock-cherry point

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:51 AM »
If you repair that roof section, clean it down to bare metal, deoxidize it, then prime properly....use a spray auto paint can top coat to seal it, don't leave primer open to the air. That'll hold you till the car's painted.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

OneT

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
For your electrical issue, here is a good thread that may help:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=44498.msg396109#msg396109
Cheers,
Mat

1976 Trans Am Firethorn Red

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »
thanks leigh, my cousin is a welder and a body guy so i was asking him yesterday if he would fix it for me. he said he would but for now im going to do what you said and fix it like that. the car is getting paint and body work next summer. and thanks one t ill check it out

Big Block Bird

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Imma dummy!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
havelock-cherry point

Nowhere near me. haha
Respect the machine.

"Take care of the equipment, and the equipment will take care of you."

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
havent been on in a few days but i havent done much to the car, i found out a way to modify the map pocket since i have 2 of them. so now i have my new radio in there so i dont have to cut the dash.  :P and i also buffed it yesterday and now the paint looks rather good!

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 08:07:04 PM »
Pics of the buffed car? Also I tried many things with the radio and finally ended up putting it in the glove box. Works well with a remote.

Regards, Jack

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »
heres the radio, i just took the radio and car pictures so sorry if its dark

car sorry for poor quality

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
i did however start on some of my interior panels and dying them red

nocturneTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »
Paint does look good.   Why are you swapping to red interior over the tan?

LS1 / 6SPD /  3.90 gears / C-5 Brake kit   Etc...

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 09:33:36 PM »
because its not a special edition or anything, it was originally deluxe vinyl carmine interior, with a cameo white and the orange decals. i personally think it looks better that way than the black and tan. im not a big fan for tan interior. as you can see im going piece by piece with the interior because its like half and half in the car now and looks really weird

nocturneTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »
gotcha.  I like the white cars to.  as for the mixed interior, it will come together as time and money permits.  it took me a while on mine to get it the way I wanted it. 

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 06:59:44 AM »
your car is the one with the cup holders you put in the console right? im thinking about doing the same thing but in front of my shifter since mine is automatic. and there are a few cigarette burns in it anyway, and as much as i have cups they would be convenient

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 01:57:34 AM »
so i havent worked on the car lately but i have been working on my valve covers, been working alot lately. ill upload some before and after pictures of my valve covers. i think they will look good

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
alright guys havent been on in awhile but my DD had a water pump pully bust on my way from ohio to nc. heres my belt that snapped into like 3 pieces

but anyways heres a few pictures of my valve covers. right now i fixed the messed up side of the T and the fins are polished out and its finished. ill upload a picture of them probably monday or tuesday but what do you guys think of them so far?

BAN

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Love the covers,  probably my favorite of all,  just classic.   Looking forward to seeing the interior come together.

77 Pro Street, 454 BBC, 8-71 Dyers, back halfed.
77 455, E headed, roller, 10.5:1 475hp/575lbs
71 T-37, 350.

nocturneTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
cover are looking good. 

sorry for the late reply, I did install cup holders in my console.  They are very handy.

steve78ta

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
Mine is ripped all apart right now. Good work on the covers. Also how much for the visors shipped to 31779?  Steve
" If you didn't build it, it ain't yours. "

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:40 PM »
Mine is ripped all apart right now. Good work on the covers. Also how much for the visors shipped to 31779?  Steve

ill go to the post office after work tomorrow and ill let ya know man. 20 dollars plus shipping costs would be good

steve78ta

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 05:56:56 AM »
Sounds like a winner.

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
25 dollars shipped Steve, my paypal is stephestone1171993@hotmail.com

steve78ta

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »
Ok..will do it this weekend. They looked intact and in great shape. Thanks bud

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 06:23:28 AM »
They are darn close to new pm me your address and I'll get them in the mail

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
well im back in ohio for a couple days so i had to take the car out and warm it up, i would have did it longer but there was a car coming behind me. but i decided not to work on the car on thanksgiving. i didnt wanna be too drunk and wrap her around a pole or something  :shock:
 i cannot wait to haul it back to nc where i can finally pull the motor

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
the video didnt turn out that great. it was recorded on my iphone

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
i will be pulling the motor out on sunday i will post pics of pulling it out and putting it on the stand and showing what im starting with as well as pics and info of what im doing to it and hopefully within 2 weeks i can have it back in

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »
Well I started pulling the motor today, I am taking pictures, I'll post them up when I get home, found the drivers side floor pan needs replaced the rest are good, I took pictures of the underside I'll post them up tonight too

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
alright today i had a vet appointment so we didnt get time to pull the engine but we got everything ready for tomorrow on lunch break the engine will come out. i didnt really have any problems getting any bolts or nuts out. snapped exhaust bolts but nothing bad. but i did find rust holes underneath.

got it sitting like this until tomorrow

rust drivers side floor pan both pictures below

and i took a few shots from underneath the car, let me know what you guys think, it doesnt seem like much but it was alot of work just to get that little done. the wiring is all spliced and hacked from the PO

N PRGRES

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
High jack. Used to fly into cherry point all the time when I worked the KC-10. Used to haul the harriers out to Yuma.
Dave

81 Trans Am

SMFS_Fear_Mii

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
i wish you would have hauled them all away, they are too loud, and the reason why im losing my hearing at age 20

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
You can help support TAC!