Author Topic: Major Rust surgery 70 Bird Trunk pan and more  (Read 23282 times)

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
Re: Major Rust surgery 70 Bird Trunk pan and more
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 07:16:19 PM »
I agree with what you said to Ford5of5.

Let's leave it at that and concentrate on your build – good luck and I will continue to watch from the sidelines if that is okay with you?

Regards, Jack

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
The problem with purebred dogs is that they all started out as domesticated wolves! :o My family has been in to Doberman Pinchers for quite some time; that breed is only around 130 years old.  :eek:

Ford engine in a Pontiac? Never! I was gonna go high class and put a BMW v-10 in there. lol! If I could only hit the lottery! :P

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
Ford engine in a Pontiac? Never!
See I knew you couldn't be that bad
I was gonna go high class and put a BMW v-10 in there. lol!
That would be cool 

I agree with what you said to Ford5of5.

Let's leave it at that and concentrate on your build – good luck and I will continue to watch from the sidelines if that is okay with you?
Jump in any time I will talk to any one I dont like holding grudges and I wont I dont like people who do. we can agree to disagree any time or day its all good. Just dont ever tell me what to say do or think in my home life or car
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither!
B. Franklin

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:51 PM »
How are you replacing the tail panel? Are you using Repop, orginal metal, or fabbing?

I Was planning on Putting that Original one back in, I don't remember any thing wrong with it? what did you see is their more Rust???
Actually I didn't catch the pic of the condition of the panel when you took it off. That's the only reason I asked. We all know these cars are notorious for hiding rust bombs.
73 Black Formula 400 4 speed
74 Admiralty Blue T/A 455 auto
75 Candy Apple Red Firebird 350 auto
76 Cameo White T/A 400 auto
76 Starlight Black T/A 455 4 speed
76 Sterling Silver T/A 400 4 speed
77 Glacier Blue Esprit 400 4 speed
81 Black Formula
75 Silver Formula parts car -dead-
76 Carousel Red T/A parts car -sold-
76 Trans Am parts car
78 Skybird parts car  -sold-

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »
I had to go digging but I can up with a few pictures

The Inner tail panel like the trunk pan was Literally ate out gone with rust but the outer wasnt that bad some heavy surface rust inside but no real pitting issues like the quarters and so much of the rest of the car, What little there was I can fix like the damage done to it removing it I can fix that too.
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »
The tail panel is pretty rough on my 73, I wish it looked like yours. Not sure what route I'm gonna go with it yet....
81 Black Formula
76 Trans Am parts car

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »
I would say blast it then look at it, Use crushed Glass or Glass bead I end up paying like a Buck a pound for it.
Love to hear of a cheaper alternative? I need some now

All ya need to do is cut the Pitted stuff off & make another piece look like what ya cut off and weld it on easy.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

dlocke

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:54 AM »
Play sand or pool filter sand is as cheap as it gets but very, very dangerous & you can mess up your lungs (silicosis).  If you can suit up in a way that absolutely prevents any inhalation of sand dust, tough. . .. .
Just saying.  Still, I wouldn't recommend it.
DJL

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »
Play sand or pool filter sand is as cheap as it gets but very, very dangerous & you can mess up your lungs (silicosis).  If you can suit up in a way that absolutely prevents any inhalation of sand dust, tough. . .. .
Just saying.  Still, I wouldn't recommend it.
DJL

YUP! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT WORTH YOUR LIFE OR OTHERS NEIGHBORS FRIENDS KIDS ETC DON'T DO IT!!!!

Please don't do it Of all the Stupid things I have done in my life this is the biggest mistake of all of em.
Of all the Things that are nasty for you and cause cancer out in the shop this is probably the most Lethal one of all.
IM guilty of using this stuff myself till I read How dangerous this stuff really is to you and others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any time they start talking about Micro and Pico in the millionths per nano meters that shits BAD for U
I wish I still had the link it wasn't Osha it was another web site scarred the Livin Hell out of me Im not the smartest but Im no dummy either Ya ya ya its bad ok GO look it up on an MSDS sheet for your self see how bad thats what I did basically Wholly crap!

DON'T DO IT!

It should be stickeid on top of every do it yourself forum in the world!
Even If it only saves 1 Person because their are more people out their that don't know!

Lets put in this perspective there is a Gold mining town wear they mined Gold & silver for years late 1800 early 1900s Miners kept getting silicosis as did the Towns people in the end The whole town is closed down and you can't drive any wear around their for Miles and Miles because of all the Silica in the air that blows around from the mine Tailing's. true story

Dont mess with Play sand it will kill you
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 11:57:31 AM by Doright »
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »
I took some time off from this project but I'm back on the Job should have some new pictures soon
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
bump to be able to find so I can update thread
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2015, 04:11:35 AM »
boy this thing gets a tone of support
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
boy this thing gets a tone of support

You are not alone.  I recently put 2 or 3 major updates on my resto thread and guess what, no replies.

I've actually just read your entire thread and wow you have more patience and rust repair skills than I.  I did floor pans but quarter panels seem scarier because people actually see them. 

Keep up the good work!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

Doug

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »
I replied earlier today but it apparently didn't take using Microsoft Edge, So I switched to Explorer this time around.  Try posting more details and lots of photos so people can keep up with the build. That seems to be the formula that gets the most feedback.  Good work so far by the way.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
looking GREAT!  First time I saw this thread.   Love seeing ones like this.

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »

1975 ta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
nice work!

Clint S

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Parish, New York
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
Good job, wish I had your metal skills.
72 Firebird Esprit 455
Get high on milk, my cow's on grass.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa72/stelmashuck/103_0567.jpg

MNBob

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2015, 07:20:38 AM »
X2, totally amazing.  Inspires me though, I have a welder and I think I want to at least learn the basics.
1979 TATA Extreme TKO .64
Hedman elite; Pypes 2.5; Borla XS; MSD 6A; Edelbrock intake; open scoop; modified Q-jet; Powermaster 150; 4 core radiator/Mark VIII fan; RobbMc mini starter; subframe connectors; solid body mounts; fiberglass rear springs; poly sway bar and link bushings; 81 master; D52’s; Blazer disks; 225/60 & 235/60 17's TrueContact's; relays for PW, PDL, lights; keyless entry

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:59 PM »
Thanks Guys for nice complements & comments 

I was out their yesterday tinkering with it trying to finalize fit of trunk Pan before I start welding it in. I am Not really happy with quarter panel patches but sick of playing with them. Not sure If i will Mig weld Or Tig weld Trunk panel maybe some of both.

I have to go buy some of those really long deep Vise grip C clamps need at least 4 of them 6 would be better Rear Tail panel still needs to be Blasted on the inside and I have a few Patches to make on it before I can reinstall it. 

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
Well I went out and got those clamps had to go to three different stores to get 4 of them  :?

Today is Friday so tomorrow will find me out there for next few days I wanna get the trunk and the Tail panel done so I can move on to the Cowl panel. taking me way too long on this one but we all know how life is.
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

DeCaff2007

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas.
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
Well I went out and got those clamps had to go to three different stores to get 4 of them  :?

Today is Friday so tomorrow will find me out there for next few days I wanna get the trunk and the Tail panel done so I can move on to the Cowl panel. taking me way too long on this one but we all know how life is.

Don't forget to post pics :-)  I seriously cannot wait to see how this turns out!
1976 T/A 400, 4-speed swap.... 

Check out my resto thread:  http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=48626.0

It's all trial and error until something lines up...

4speed76

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »
Can't wait to see more progress

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 12:22:49 PM »
Sorry guys I have to work till through wend before I get a day off then we will see some progress this week.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
Sorry about updates My real job got out of hand was working 7 days a week for months with no time off till now, lots of time off now & I have mad Progress and taken pictures but have misplaced my Camera cord to down load silly thing to my Puter.
I need to find it things are starting to go pretty good now that I have started welding in the Trunk pan and redid the left Quarter panel patch.

The Inner Tail panel is giving me Fits right now have to tie it to the quarter panel from inside while the Rear panel is on and the right Quarter panel where it fits into Tail panel needs a Bit of a Tune up but its not bad I am out of Oxygen right now but should have some more after Turkey day.
I also picked up some toys from HF wich seam to work good after some minor fabrication mainly A new Shrinker Stretcher combo with the foot operated stand I whipped out a Nice window channel with it in about 20 min the other night just playing around seams to work good if you don't over press it to hard just use it lightly, I know its HF Junk and all and the teeth are likely to dull quickly if they are pressed to hard so I go lightly with it and slow. I also picked up their cheap open throat shear its junk cheap copy of a good tool but it does cut good. I also got one of their cheap 30 inch brakes its also a pos but it works ok if all you wanna make is a 90 i am sure I can make more with it but its no Box Brake.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Joe

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2015, 01:37:43 AM »
Keep up the great work brother! Will be back to work tomorrow and hit up my project as well.
Joe
76 T/A

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »
Hello ALL
Sorry no pics although I did find my Camera cord progress has been slow as my real job goes in spurts but some minor progress has been made in the Trunk its going very slow I hope to update pictures this week if I can get some time.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
Hello All well i finally found my Camera and its cord and updated my Photobucket with the pic's.
I have more progress than what I am gonna post today but it will leave me some stuff to do latter this week.

The first hear is a how to on making a Tape mold I made of the one quarter panel I made it to make sure I kept the same shape with the repairs I made to the quarter.

The first layer is Frisk paper commonly used for art projects, dont mind the wrinkles.

Next the Frisk paper is trimmed and covered with a couple layers of reinforced tape such as Packing tape in my case I used a type of Duct tape for this one.

Then I trim it and start pulling it all off in one piece, once pulled off I flip it over and coat it with Talk powder or in this case Baby powder to kill the Sticky.

Your left with a Form that fits the original panel very accurately so you can detect Low and Hi areas on the panel very easily.
It allows you to check your body lines as well.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:33 PM »

I will get pics of trunk welded in tomorrow
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Headintheclouds

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
Rust scares me. It would be slow going if I had to repair any. Looks likes oh are starting to make headway. Keep up fighting the good fight
02 ta ws6, silver, m6, 30k
Looking for 78 hardtop ws6 with tan int

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
Rust scares me. It would be slow going if I had to repair any. Looks likes oh are starting to make headway. Keep up fighting the good fight

Been playing with it for a while now and I have learned a lot by trial and error on all the different processes MIG TIG & Gas and they all have there place on a car in my opinion no one Process will do it all accept maybe Gas, It Takes Time and a lot of practice.
And even then its only Half the battle.     

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Ford5of5

• Oracle Forum Member
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2016, 10:44:32 PM »
The mold idea is pretty slick. Thanks for posting that. I'm always afraid when making patches to such areas because of losing the curves. I'm glad to see ya back at it. I got all the same issues with my '72, but that project got put away for now. I have the same love-hate relationship with HF.

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »
The mold idea is pretty slick. Thanks for posting that. I'm always afraid when making patches to such areas because of losing the curves. I'm glad to see ya back at it. I got all the same issues with my '72, but that project got put away for now. I have the same love-hate relationship with HF.

The Tape Mold works well You don't have to use Frisk paper either I used it because How big of a Mold I wanted and I had it laying around Regular old Masking tape will work well Just as Long as you use a few good Layers of Reinforced Packing tape over it that is the important step and of course using a chalk to kill the sticky once you peel it off. 

I am actually happy with my HF stuff I got this time the shear works great not as Nice as an American made one but for the price I paid Im not going to complain the Brake is a POS but it works great for simple bends and simple angles the Shrinker Stretcher combo is My Favorite I know it wont last a lifetime but it does work well for what it is.
The E wheel I bought last year needed to be highly modified and is still a POS I suggest buying the wheels and just building your own if you want one, I am able to work with it though and put some body to a flat piece of steel to use to make Patch panel repairs with it though so I cant complain to much and I had read that it was a POS on all the metal forming forums before I bought it so I knew what I was getting.

Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

Jack

• Oracle Forum Member
  • 1971 Esprit TA Clone W72 1972 Formula 68 350 HO
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:19 AM »
X2 on the mold... I've never done it myself but could have used the idea when making patches for my 72. Keep up the progress and good work.

Regards, Jack

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2016, 08:10:01 PM »
Looks to be shaping up well.  8-)
81 Black Formula
76 Trans Am parts car

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
Looks to be shaping up well.  8-)

Its got a long way to go I have made some progress but other projects have been getting in the way of Major progress updates soon
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »
Life always has a way of getting in the way of living too.  :cool:
81 Black Formula
76 Trans Am parts car

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
Sorry Guys this Project keeps taking a back seat to other projects in progress But its not forgotten.
I will try to get a few project pics up but no promises this time I have a new job starting in LA soon witch will take even more time away from it but should be a shot in the arm for many needed new parts soon.   
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2017, 01:23:11 PM »
All it takes is time! Good luck with the new job.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Doright

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
Hey WOW been a long time since I worked on this PILE OF $ hit!
Well I got it on my new Rotisserie today I hope to get back on this thing and finish it as soon as I can.
But life does get in the way too.

My camera battery's were dead or I would have some new pics up I will be back on it tomorrow. 
Dennis Barnett 
A&P Mechanic & FCC
B. Franklin

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
Yes, life does!  Rotisserie?  I'm jealous!  And I love the early Formulas. 
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2007 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (5.4)
2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD V6
2012 Mustang

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
You can help support TAC!