2020-B4-3

Author Topic: Installation Guide - Year One Bezel and Double Din Stereo  (Read 16287 times)

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
Installation Guide - Year One Bezel and Double Din Stereo
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:24:15 AM »
Installed my new Year One Bezel and Receiver in my console last weekend and a winter long search of cyberspace yielded very little info on these, so I thought I would post how I did mine. The Bezel is pricey for what you get, considering there are no instructions/brackets of any kind. Just the plastic cover, but I'm happy with the overall result....

1) Install the console as it would sit normally and push the bezel on top of the console and over the dash. It will sit right over where the ashtray holder is. (Ashtray Removed). Make sure the bezel is sitting where you want it and hold or tape it in place. Next, take a pencil, put it through the double din opening and hold the pencil against the edges of the opening and trace that rectangle onto the console. You want to cut the console open to the same size. Also at this time, trace the far ends of the bezel onto the console with a pencil. This way you can tell where the bezel should sit when the console is out of the car...

2) You will also want to remove some metal from the back bracket of the console in order to allow your wiring to fit behind the double din receiver. On my test fit I had very little room and this way you can push the console into position and the wires will fit nicely behind the console...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:09:00 AM by 10-4onthe79 »

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
Re: Installation Guide - Year One Bezel and Double Din Stereo
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
3) Grab a Dremel or other SMALL rototary tool and cut off wheel. You don't want this slipping! :-D Cut along the lines you traced. You will notice a metal bracket that you can't really reach that goes across horizontally where the map pocket used to be. Leave it for later, just cut the foam/plastic at this point....

4) When you have everything but that metal bracket cut, take your console and place it upside down on a thick blanket. Make sure you put the blanket on a smooth surface, i.e. garage floor. Next take an angle grinder with a 4" cut off wheel and slice that bracket on each side. I straddled the console and bunched up the blanket between my shoes and the console to hold it in place while preventing damage...

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »
5) You will now notice the remaining pieces of the bracket are fastened on one end and loose on the other. The loose part is at the top of the above picture (bottom of the console) You want these to be secure so take a break, go grab a bite to eat and stop at Orielly's or Autozone on your way home and pick up a tube of Epoxy Plastic Weld - 3500 psi Strength. They actually have a new one that self mixes when you dispense it. Roughen up the console and bracket with sandpaper and clean the dirt and oil off, then epoxy the loose piece so the bracket holes are facing straight like they were before you made your cut....

6) Look for a bracket like the one in the picture below. If it looks familiar it's a leftover bracket from vertical blinds I bought at Wal-Mart years ago. Saving worthless junk pays off sometimes!  8) I wouldn't run out and spend $20.00 for this but you will need something in this basic shape. The slots were definitely a bonus.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:45:46 AM by 10-4onthe79 »

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
7) Don't forget to cut the bracket at the end of the console. Also use a SMALL rotory tool for this, much easier to control...

8) Get something to keep that sharp edge of metal from damaging the wires. I used a product called "boat edging". Not sure where to buy this as I have kept it from long ago...

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
8.0) Ok here comes the worst part, but it's not that bad. You may want an extra set of hands for this. I usually do everything myself, but after becoming extremely frustrated at trying to hold 4 parts at the same time I surrendered and requested back-up. You want to tape the bezel in place where it sits on the console (I used blue painters tape) now feed the double din receiver throught the backside of the console opening and into the bezel, this will give you the depth and angle your receiver will sit at. Your brackets will bolt to the radio chassis and the 2 holes that are in the bracket for the map pocket. I'm assuming your epoxy has cured to full strength at this point (24hrs). Test fit your brackets and zip off the extra length so they fit between the radio chassis and the inside of the console. Mark the angle by tracing a line between the map pocket bracket and the radio chassis. This will get your bracket about where it needs to be. Mount your brackets to the radio chassis and test fit again. Push the brackets up to the map pocket holes. Does it fit good? Is the radio fitting all the way through the bezel? If not keep adjusting the brackets and test fitting until you are happy. When you feel it's good, mark where the holes for the map pocket bracing are in relation to the bracket. Drill holes in the brackets so you can mount them the map pocket bracing. I mounted the bolts through the brackets so the nuts where on the bezel side. This was just easier and there is plenty of room between the bezel and the bolts. I will put another nut to jam the first on and lock it into place before I install the console for good. When you are done you should be able to shake the console (but don't throw it!)  :shock: and the radio should sit super solid...

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »
9) Now slide the bezel back in place. If you did everything right it should sit in nice and tight. There are many different ways to secure the bezel at the backside not sure how I'll do that as I won't be installing my console for a while yet, but at the front it seems pretty secure with just a friction fit...

L8KRFAN

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Nice write up!

I may look for a second red console just to try this and keep my original dash intact.

Keep posting on the progress.
Los Angeles, California
-----------------------------------
1979 Trans Am Olds 403 Matching Numbers
1971 Camaro SS350 Matching Numbers

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
Nice work.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro LS6, T56, Speedtech, Hotchkis, DSE, Z51 13.4" front brakes, LS1 rear disks, etc.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

Blackened

• Active Forum Member
      • Blackened
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
Is this the one you have?
https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967-81-firebird/interior/dash/radio-bezels-.-double-din
If so, I may have to add this to list of things to get, after important stuff is done.

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 08:54:30 PM »
Thanks for compliments! I'll post pics when I get it installed but it'll be a while. I am ordering a transmission and need to get that installed first.

Blackened: That is the Bezel... Make sure to get a 20% off code before you buy. Helps to ease the pain a little.

Blackened

• Active Forum Member
      • Blackened
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on the 20% off, I'll have to remember that.

1979SE

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I have to admit I shuddered when I first saw the lines drawn on that pretty console, but it really came out nice!  Great job and thanks for posting these photos!
Joseph
1979 Trans Am (Sold - Stupid)
1982 Trans Am (Sold - Thank goodness!)
1979 Trans Am SE (Baby!)

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
Lol! Don't get to freaked out about the console, it was just an average console with cuts, nicks, cigarette burns etc. that I brought back to life, painted and re textured. Also had to shrink the power window switch opening to fit the aftermarket window switch. (You can see it in the second pic at the top)

FLYNLOW

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »
Looking at the bezel, does it hang out over the sides of the console? Looks a bit wider than the console, is it? Looking to go double din in my car. Any further pics?
1973 Formula 400
Now with LS1/T56
Formerly...
2001 LS1/4L60E/3.08's
Headers and a K&N, no tune.
12.920@106.041 2.03 60 foot.

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »
Yes, it does overhang a little. So far, I think i am the only one who notices it. AT first glance, or if you are not looking for it, I think it's about as close to a "factory look" as you can get for the money. I used some industrial velcro to hold the sides to the Console. One piece of advice - Don't mount it from behind the console like I originally did. I just found out that it puts the receiver to close to the floor to fit with carpet. I ended up trimming the carpet behind the receiver and re-mounting it from the front. Also make sure you leave your wires long enough. I can verify it's a major PITA when your wires are 3" shorter than you wish they were  :grin: I should've posted pics sooner but here is a not very good one that would show any flaws:

Another option would be this, but I was trying really hard to avoid mission creep and end up with things getting out of hand....

http://www.modernclassicsinteriors.com/Gen_2_Stiletto.html

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »

2020-B1-8

mscamp02

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
Yes, it does overhang a little. So far, I think i am the only one who notices it. AT first glance, or if you are not looking for it, I think it's about as close to a "factory look" as you can get for the money. I used some industrial velcro to hold the sides to the Console. One piece of advice - Don't mount it from behind the console like I originally did. I just found out that it puts the receiver to close to the floor to fit with carpet. I ended up trimming the carpet behind the receiver and re-mounting it from the front. Also make sure you leave your wires long enough. I can verify it's a major PITA when your wires are 3" shorter than you wish they were  :grin: I should've posted pics sooner but here is a not very good one that would show any flaws:

Another option would be this, but I was trying really hard to avoid mission creep and end up with things getting out of hand....

http://www.modernclassicsinteriors.com/Gen_2_Stiletto.html

If your going with the mci gen 2 you'd need to be able to create a good bezel for the double din radio bezel and some mounting brackets for the rear to get a snug fit. I've thought about doing that with my mci console but just haven't made the leap into cutting it up yet

FLYNLOW

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Wonder why they made it so wide. Also wonder how hard it might be to make my own bezel. When you say mount it from behind/front, I'm assuming you mean the head unit - drop it in from the front of the bezel, and not from the back - as in don't have the head unit mounted to the console and then put the bezel on after. Put bezel on, drop head unit in, and then slide the entire assembly into place. Right?

How did you end up repairing the console? Going with Spal window switches on mine, so need to fill in the original window switch hole as well.

Feel you on mission creep. Went from a quick spruce up to 4K in wheels, new paint, new interior, new sound system... lol.
1973 Formula 400
Now with LS1/T56
Formerly...
2001 LS1/4L60E/3.08's
Headers and a K&N, no tune.
12.920@106.041 2.03 60 foot.

10-4onthe79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
I think the material used/console differences are why it is wider. Probably would have to custom make each one for individual cars otherwise. I think the piece is well engineered, although overpriced. The double din hole is spot on and tight when it fits over my receiver. I have a Pioneer AVIC X940BT by the way. The Bezel has to fit over the Unit. What I meant was, if you look at my above pics, you can see that the unit is mounted with the brackets sitting behind the console brackets. I had to move the brackets attached to the unit in front of the console brackets and then put 1 or 2 nuts between the  brackets as spacers to move the head unit forward enough to not hit the transmission tunnel.

As far as repairing my console, I took a Dremel and recessed all of the nicks and cigarette burns. I then used padded dash filler from urethane supply company and filled them in/sanded with a few coats. A couple coats of SEM texture and SEM Landau Black and your good to go. Just use thin coats of the filler to avoid humps when you're done.

I also have a SPAL window switch. I cut an opening the correct size for the switch in plastic, glued that on the inside of the console and filled in the regular switch opening with the same Padded Dash Filler/SEM Texture/SEM Landau Black. You can kinda see it in one of the pics above.

Hopefully this all makes sense, I've found I'm extremely talented at making things more confusing when I try to explain...

Updated71

• Oracle Forum Member
  • TA Addiction
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »
Thanks for the great write up!
The surgeon general never said nuthin' 'bout smokin' the competition!

Herman Munster

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
Looks real cool but what do you with the ashes ? :P  Herman

BlueBaron762x39

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »
Are these bezels still available?  I'm having difficulty locating one for my 1979 Trans Am.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3