transamcountry.com
August 30, 2014, 02:12:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pate Swap Meet in Texas at Texas Motor Speedway this April  (Read 2143 times)
transamjunkie73
Active Forum Member

Email
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »

Anybody else hitting the Pate swap meet this month in Texas?

I haven't been in a few years, and was very disappointed the last time.  Barely ANY Pontiac stuff, let alone 2nd gen F-body stuff.  Was quite a few flea market stalls selling junk and trinkets the last time, too.  Hope it is better this year.  A few of us Pontiac/Chevy gearheads here from West Monroe are heading that way early Saturday morning the 27th to get there when they open up at 9am to walk the place, and head back home Sunday morning.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:48:11 PM by transamjunkie73 » Logged

Chad
1978 Trans Am t-top(S/E clone)
1978 Trans Am hardtop(wife's project)
2006 Silverado crew cab(my daily driver/bird rescue vehicle)
plus misc parts cars
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »

We have a spring swap meet here in New England Chad, in Stafford Springs CT, and I feel the same way as you. Not as many people selling not only Poncho stuff, but even just general public participation. Don't get me wrong, they usually pack the place. But with lots of vendors, including Chinese tooling and supplies, leather goods, ATV stuff, model A or T stuff, ect. ect. And if you do happen to see something interesting, the seller usually wants you to put his kid through college before he'll separate with it. Many yrs back,I spied an original 66 ram air, air cleaner base, for a tri-power set-up. Looked for one for yrs to put on my 65 w/ 66 trips, but could never find one. After I sold the car, naturally I come across one. How much did the seller want for it, (which was dented and the foam rotted away)?  $1000 bucks! I had to do a double take when he told me Shocked. I told him the re-pops cost about $300 (at the time). He tells me his is worth more cause it was original. (Yeah OK...that'll convince me).

For your viewing pleasure, I just had to share my favorite photo of my trips. Will never forget the distinct sound these babes used to make in full song. Ahhh the good ole days Smile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:44:28 PM by tajoe » Logged

"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
transamjunkie73
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »

The whole "its O/E" thats why I want more is just absurd to me at a "swap meet".  If I was building a $100k GTO, I wouldn't be digging thru peoples junk/leftovers at a swap meet.  I'd be calling these classic companies to find me one and paying a premium.  I miss swap meets/flea markets when there were deals to be found.  Last time I thought I got some good deals at a swap meet was on a engine stand(which after bolting a 455 to it, wouldn't roll worth a @#$%-self censored myself LOL) I only gave $25 for, and $50 for a 12volt electric winch with a back-up hand crank.  After hitting ebay when I got home, I found the only "deal" part I got was I saved shipping cost...which wasn't much...and after using the winch 4 times, it can't even pull an empty rolling car shell onto a trailer.  Junk.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:50:16 PM by transamjunkie73 » Logged

Chad
plus misc parts cars
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

1971 Espirt T/A Clone 1972 Formula

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »

Joe, can you please provide details about the SS CT one... I haven't been in years and I think my boys will enjoy the experience.

Regards, Jack
BLURR
Oracle Forum Member

BlurrTransam blurr1977
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

Im going!  Very Happy

Joe
1970 grabber Green Mustang Mach 1 351C/Auto
1971 Lucerne Blue Formula 400/4 speed
1979 Mayan Red Formula WS6 400/Auto
1991 White Toyota Pickup 4 cyl/Auto (Daily Driver)
2000 Navy Blue Metallic Formula LS1/6 speed
t/a-lover
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »

Jack stafford is this weekend the 14 at the stafford motor speedway

1971 GTO 455HO
1981 turbo T/A
1986 2+2
2002 WS6Trans Am
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »

If you go, be prepared to battle the traffic and parking. Small town small roads, big PITA. But sometimes you may find some cool project cars for sale, in the frt parking lot. hopefully the weather will be nice, and if there is rain on the previous days, you may want to bring your galoshes. With all the people tromping through the infield, it gets to be a mud-wrestling match. i wanted to get there this yr, to unload my parted out 79, but as usual, I'm behind schedule. Have fun,and good luck to all who go.

Bunkie Knudsen
silver78
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »

I'm sure I'll go.  It's only 5 miles from my driveway.  If you find something too big to haul back on the same trip let me know I can store it for awhile.  Or there is a U-haul van/truck rental within walking distance of the track.

65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold
2000 Super Duty current
2006 Malibu SS wifes
78 TA BREAKEN MY BACK!
L8KRFAN
Active Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »

The whole "its O/E" thats why I want more is just absurd to me at a "swap meet".  If I was building a $100k GTO, I wouldn't be digging thru peoples junk/leftovers at a swap meet.  I'd be calling these classic companies to find me one and paying a premium.  I miss swap meets/flea markets when there were deals to be found.  

Agree!

Our two big swap meets (Pomona and Long Beach) are the same way. Sellers think their stuff is gold. I do say that the deals to be had are in the parking area on cars with for sale signs. But the swap meets them selves rarely do i find sellers with 2nd gen TA and Camaro used parts.

Ever since Ebay and Craigslist, I rarely go. Can find all I need on Ebay even though Ebay has changed as well.

Last time I went to Long Beach I went looking for a dealer license plate frame from where my 79 TA was originally sold (Stevens Pontiac in Los Gatos California). Walked the entire swapmeet, went through boxes and crates from guys who sell vintage plates and frames and found nothing. Get home, log on to Ebay and what do you know, I find the frame! Lol!

Los Angeles, California
-----------------------------------
1979 Trans Am Olds 403 Matching Numbers
1971 Camaro SS350 Matching Numbers
skisix38off
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:56:42 AM »

I've been to Pate the last couple years and there is just a lot of stuff at that particular swap meet.  I agree with the notion that there are fewer people selling Ponco stuff in general and us Pontiac folks have to sift through a lot of Chevy and Mopar stuff to get our stuff, this is especially true at Pate.  IMHO, this meet is too large unless a person has the entire weekend to sort through all the stuff there.  I don't have that kind of time to spend on swap meets.

Last year there was a couple guys selling shakers and asking $500!  When I told him I would give $75, they were pretty rough, he told me to keep moving because those shakers would get that kind of money...  I'm guessing he had a lot of stuff to load back up at the end of last years meet.
transamjunkie73
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »

It doesn't help prices any when shows like Fast and Loud have the GasMonkey Garage paying around $4 grand for a rusted out 2nd gen Formula, then selling the same thing for around $7 grand just because they got it to run.

I am not getting along with Craigslist very well, either.  I've tried to sell some stuff there, but 90% of the time it is a waste of my time with the no shows or failure to follow thru.  Slowly but surely, the prices have gotten out of hand for stuff we can find, too.  There is a guy posting in my local craigslist wanting $4,500 for a worn out turbo T/A because it runs and drives...oh did I mention it leaks fluids like a siv?  Interior is shot and needs some body work too.  Found someone else selling a 78 T/A that looks like it has been put to pasture for a decade or so for $2,500...partially dissasembled, drivetrain removed car needing total resto.

eBay isn't that great as it once was for me...prices have bloated for most of the parts I really need, and once I tap in the ever increasing cost of shipping, it kinda is disenheartening.  When I used to sell on eBay, there were times what I sold was cheaper than the shipping!  I had even made the mistake of putting a few "free shipping" perks on a few parts, and by the time I was done paying for shipping I ended up in the negative.  One of the last times I bought some parts off eBay for a Trans Am I was rebuilding I got ripped off...bought a pair of supposedly perfect 403 exhaust manifolds that showed up with obvious cracks(exhaust soot stained around the cracks) and seller sent me wrong crank pulleys...and would not respond back to me.  I ended up getting the manifolds I already had welded.

Being I'm still stuck with two extra 2nd gens, I am going to be limited to what I buy at the swap meet Sad

Chad
plus misc parts cars
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

I feel your pain Chad. Times are tough in lots of places. (I didn't say everywhere, because I'm always in Aw when I see what goes on at Barret Jackson.) Shocked So times aren't tough for eveyone. (Unless you have to sell your Bugatti Veyron for a 10% loss.)

Bunkie Knudsen
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »

Jack stafford is this weekend the 14 at the stafford motor speedway
If you go, be prepared to battle the traffic and parking. Small town small roads, big PITA. But sometimes you may find some cool project cars for sale, in the frt parking lot. hopefully the weather will be nice, and if there is rain on the previous days, you may want to bring your galoshes. With all the people tromping through the infield, it gets to be a mud-wrestling match. i wanted to get there this yr, to unload my parted out 79, but as usual, I'm behind schedule. Have fun,and good luck to all who go.

Thanks.
Since when did they start charging admission? That’s $33 if I take the boys plus gas money  Shocked

Regards, Jack
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »

Unfortunately Jack, they've always charged, at least since I've been in this state (about 30 something yrs.) Was it free in the past?

Bunkie Knudsen
Intimnasc
Active Forum Member

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »

Anybody else hitting the Pate swap meet this month in Texas?

I haven't been in a few years, and was very disappointed the last time.  Barely ANY Pontiac stuff, let alone 2nd gen F-body stuff.  Was quite a few flea market stalls selling junk and trinkets the last time, too.  Hope it is better this year.  A few of us Pontiac/Chevy gearheads here from West Monroe are heading that way early Saturday morning the 27th to get there when they open up at 9am to walk the place, and head back home Sunday morning.

Honestly Pates has gone downhill since they moved it to the Ballpark. I used to take my son down South when they had it at Pate Museum years ago and it was great now its not just the same anymore.
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 03:30:57 AM »

Unfortunately Jack, they've always charged, at least since I've been in this state (about 30 something yrs.) Was it free in the past?
I've never been there and it’s been a while since I've gone to one (20yrs or so) and don't remember paying to shop. I never sold either but remember my cousin renting a spot to sale which makes perfect sense.
BTW - sorry Texans did not mean to hijack your post...

Regards, Jack
transamjunkie73
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »

This Pate swap meet is not at the ballpark in Arlington.  It is at Texas Motor Speedway.  General admission is free, with a $5 parking fee.

www.pateswapmeet.com

Chad
plus misc parts cars
Intimnasc
Active Forum Member

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

This Pate swap meet is not at the ballpark in Arlington.  It is at Texas Motor Speedway.  General admission is free, with a $5 parking fee.

www.pateswapmeet.com

Well then it has been a long time. The first year they moved it I believe it was at the Ballpark. heh my bad.
transamjunkie73
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »

No biggie.  I think the ones in June and October are at the ballpark.

Chad
plus misc parts cars
L8KRFAN
Active Forum Member

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

Nice! Pomona is $8 to park and admission is $10.  Shocked

Los Angeles, California
L8KRFAN
Active Forum Member

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

eBay isn't that great as it once was for me...prices have bloated for most of the parts I really need, and once I tap in the ever increasing cost of shipping, it kinda is disenheartening. 
Being I'm still stuck with two extra 2nd gens, I am going to be limited to what I buy at the swap meet Sad

I've been buying/selling on Ebay since 2000. I agree with what you say. BUT, it's the ONLY place I've been able to find red/carmine parts (dash grab handle, seat belt guides, sun visors, coat hooks, and numerous others) for my 79 interior and at very reasonable prices. I've posted in the "parts wanted" section on this board and at NastyZ28.com looking for red/carmine parts and have gotten zero replies.

Los Angeles, California
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »

I've had a few red interior pieces in my stash for 20 yrs. They weren't very good when I removed them, and I did use some of it. If there's anything you think I can help you with, PM me. (Not sure what's left).
 Here's a pic of it when it came apart, like I said, it was a "few" yrs ago.

Bunkie Knudsen
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:34 PM »

Easy Joe, you know TAC shirtless policy  Shocked Laughing

You sure your last name is not Biden? Sorry Joe I just could not resist…

Regards, Jack
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »

LOL. Hey Jack, I may be a little greyer, but the mop's still there.
 And whats this with Biden? I thought the he owned a 67 Vette, and the T/A was photoshopped? Now he's inside a 2nd gen? Is this another gag shot or what?

Bunkie Knudsen
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: