Author Topic: Pontiac 400 Motor 4 Sale  (Read 8744 times)

400_4sale

• Forum Member
Pontiac 400 Motor 4 Sale
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:48 PM »
Hi
I have a Pontiac 400 motor for sale currently still in the car and running and I am reluctantly offering it for sale.

A little history and my reasons for selling are as follows:

I purchased a completed project car in 2001 in came with the 400 a turbo350 box, Mickey Thompson Heads, custom made extractors.

I drove it and showed it until about 2006 when I put the car in a car museum in Sydney while I traveled overseas for a long while.

The 400 should never have been used for this vehicle as room is an absolute premium, but it ran perfect and sounded great.

About 9 months ago, I decided to get the car out of moth balls and start driving it again, but sitting around without being driven had done it no favors and I had to get the welsh plugs replaced ( a major job because of the VERY limited room) and whilst that was being done I had other work performed. I toyed with the idea of changing to a smaller motor at the time but decided to keep the beast as it has always been so good and reliable.

I have just spent $14,000 not just the motor but that's a large portion of it. Things like removed heads acid bathed, checked and machined, new welsh plugs, new water pump and much much more. ( a full list can be provided )

That's the good news the bad news is since putting it back together it has developed a pressurizing problem where it pressurizes the coolant system way too high.

All obvious avenues have been exhausted in trying to fathom why and how, here's what we know.
.. there is no oil in the coolant
.. there is no water in the oil
.. there are no combustion gases in the coolant
.. there are no air bubbles in the coolant

That rules out a cracked block, but I am told it can be a porous bore something easily fixed by adding additives, but I never fix anything half way and so my only alternative is to remove the motor to test it properly.

Hence I am taking the opportunity to go to a smaller block motor while i have it out of the car.

I have no idea of what to even ask for the motor, from other Pontiac forums I have been told to ask from $8k to $4k. I think $8k is way too much especially since the pressurizing problem remains unsolved. Make an offer !

If anyone is interested I can provide more information and or the mechanics details so you can speak with them direct (the car still resides at the mechanics workshop).

As you can see NO ROOM !
Recently had the Covers painted black

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:41:08 PM by 400_4sale »

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Pontiac 400 Motor 4 Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:15:27 AM »
Not sure, but why is the PCV Valve just sitting in the valve cover?

400_4sale

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 05:21:23 AM »
Not sure, but why is the PCV Valve just sitting in the valve cover?

The photo was taken before the motor was running again.

oldskoolubr

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
Gotcha ;)! GLWS!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
You can help support TAC!