transamcountry.com
July 23, 2014, 06:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mounting Shaker to bottom of Hood  (Read 667 times)
MR. FBDY
Active Forum Member

« on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:52 AM »

I am sure someone here has mounted a shaker scoop to the bottom of their hood.   How do you do it?
Is there a kit that glues it on?
I have the shaker and hood painted already and wanted to mount them together.

There is a new Sheriff in town.
Big Block Bird
Oracle Forum Member

Imma dummy!

Daniel Watson
Email
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »

I am sure someone here has mounted a shaker scoop to the bottom of their hood.   How do you do it?
Is there a kit that glues it on?
I have the shaker and hood painted already and wanted to mount them together.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Respect the machine.

"Take care of the equipment, and the equipment will take care of you."
ryeguy2006a
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

I have seen people glue them with some epoxy, and I have also seen people use metal to mount it to the inner structure of the hood.

He is doing it more than likely for clearance.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0
My Feedback: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=37555.0

LOOKING FOR MY NEXT PROJECT!! PM ME WITH SOMETHING RUST FREE!
MD79TA
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »

I have also seen people use metal to mount it to the inner structure of the hood.

He is doing it more than likely for clearance.
I used epoxy to attach two metal pieces to the shaker, these slid in to the inner structure of the hood for a nice, none-permanent mounting solution.

I have clearance issues.

1979 Trans Am
307 RWHP 380RWTQ / 13.8@103
1979 400 Block, 1970 Heads, Cams, Comp Cam Lifters, Edelbrock RPM Intake, Hedman Headers, Holley 750 Carb, WFO Drop Base

1968 GTO convertible
400 auto with A/C
Blackcuda
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »

I did this over 30 years ago to my 305cid Firebird I had. I found a T/A hood from a junk yard and a shaker scoop. I mounted it with aluminum strips connected to hood braces. didn't look to good but I didnt mess up the hood.
MR. FBDY
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:31 AM »

I am doing it so when you open the hood, the scoop comes up with it.   I was planning to run a open element 14" round air cleaner on the engine since I dont think I have the correct base for it anyway.  I just wanted the scoop to come up, out of the way when you open the hood. 

There is a new Sheriff in town.
Big Block Bird
Oracle Forum Member

Imma dummy!

Daniel Watson
Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »

I am doing it so when you open the hood, the scoop comes up with it.   I was planning to run a open element 14" round air cleaner on the engine since I dont think I have the correct base for it anyway.  I just wanted the scoop to come up, out of the way when you open the hood. 

I was just curious. My Air cleaner sit inside of my shaker, so mine is glued to the hood too. Whoever glued mine used brown epoxy (like they use to attack the hood braces to the hood) but its due to come off soon.

Respect the machine.

"Take care of the equipment, and the equipment will take care of you."
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

1971 Espirt T/A Clone 1972 Formula

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:59 AM »

Personally I don't like them but if you have to do it make sure you get the height correct, I've seen so many bolted all the way up and they just look funny.

Regards, Jack
72blackbird
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

2nd gen Firebirds are kind of limited on hood choices if you want something that will give you extra clearance under the hood- a shaker bolted/bonded onto the hood does give you a little more room for taller intakes, especially when you use a smaller diameter air cleaner. I do prefer the the shaker to be mounted to the engine (nothing like seeing the shaker kick over when you rev the engine), but I understand why alot of them get attached to the hood- T/A shaker bases are hard to come by, and when you do find one you'll pay for it.

1977 SE T/A (sold Sad )
1974 455 T/A (sold Sad )
1972 Esprit restomod
1976 T/A restomod
1975 Formula 400 4-speed
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: