Author Topic: Vetteworks Fuel Pump Adapter LS1 Write-up  (Read 15781 times)

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
Vetteworks Fuel Pump Adapter LS1 Write-up
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
Disclaimer: I am sharing information I discovered or compiled. Fuel is highly flammable, EFI pump and lines are under a lot of pressure (43 to 58 PSI or sometimes more) This site nor myself are responsible if you are not able to get this or any of my other ideas I share on this or other sites to work. This method has worked for me in the past, and this is just a guideline and Vetteworks provides their own instructions for installation.

For those that aren't familiar with this adapter, it will allow you to run a 99-02 F-Body fuel pump assembly to allow for an easy use in an LS1 or other EFI fuel injection swap applications. It is sold through a company called Vetteworks, and is a very high quality piece. I am going to walk through the process that I took in order to put this kit on on my fuel tank.

Tools Needed:

• Welder
  • 3.875" (3 7/8") Hole saw
  • Drill
  • Vetteworks adapter kit
  • Body Hammer
  • Body Dolly
  • Wire Brush
  • 99-02 LS1 Fuel Pump Assembly
  • Metal File

There are many different ways to go about doing this swap, so it is up to you on how you want to approach this swap. I decided to start with a brand new tank to solve a few problems. One is that it avoids the gas fumes and worrying about my tank exploding. Second is that I don't need to worry about putting this kit on a original tank that is rusted out. So, the starting point is up to you. I bought my tank through RockAuto from a company called Spectra which is a company out of Canada.

And here is the kit that came from Vetteworks along with the instructions.

Here is the the fuel pump assembly as taken out of a 1999 Z28 Camaro, along with the wiring harness.

Here are my tools and the tank ready to start modifying the tank.

First step was to remove the solder on the vent tube to get that out of the way. I also set the lower section of the fuel pump adapter on the tank to see where the hole will need to be drilled.

Next was to find where the hole needs to be drilled. The larger diameter indentation on the tank is roughly 6", which is also the same diameter for the lower ring. I found the center of the circle and put a mark to drill the pilot hole for the hole saw. Once I found the center, I used a punch to give myself a good start for the pilot hole.

I have a good start for my pilot hole, and there is the hole saw ready to start drilling the hole.

I got the hole drilled for the pilot, and for some extra insurance I put magnets around the hole to attract the majority of the shavings.

This is right after I drilled the hole, and as you can see it attracted most of the shavings.

So, the hole is drilled. Now you can see that it is uneven and needs to be straightened out. I have my metal file in the picture to de-burr the edges.

I used the body hammer to level everything out and give the assembly a nice solid base to mount to. The technique that I used was to tap the outside edges of the 6" diameter  to shrink the metal on the outside and leveling everything out. Now, the lip that will be created doesn't need to be perfectly level, as I will be sealing everything with silicon that is rated for fuel. 

Here is the lower base mocked up and ready to get welded to the tank.

I marked where I will be putting some beads of weld to secure the lower adapter to the tank. I cleaned the metal all up to get some good penetration on the metal. If you skip this step, you likely won't have a good base to weld to, and not get good penetration.

I used the technique of staggering the welds, by starting on one side and going to the other side to get an even heat displacement and allow for the adapter to be placed solid.

Here is one of the up close welds to show the good penetration to solidly hold the bracket adapter on. It is important to also clean off any weld splatter to get the adapters to sit flush.

Now, that the lower bracket is solidly welded on it was time to look back and test fit my work. Everything fits great, and I am more than happy with the placement.

Here is a picture of the kit close up, with the laser engraving. I will give them some free advertising.

And finally, here is the fuel pump assembly installed with the tank. Everything fits just like it was made for it.

I hope that this will help anyone thinking of swapping to EFI, and that it will make the swap that much easier.

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0

New project: 1968 Camaro with 6?.?0?  5.3 w/ Z06 cam/T56
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=74591.0

eroc022

• Active Forum Member
Re: Vetteworks Fuel Pump Adapter LS1 Write-up
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
just to add in....

The factory 4th gen fuel level sending unit 97-99 is the same ohms as the stock 2nd gen, so you can use the same gauge...

with the 4th gen setup and running the LS motor, its regulated at the pump for 60 psi, which is what is required for the LS engine to run....

other than that great write up !
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:21:10 AM by eroc022 »

reedld

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Looking good Ryan! How does the tank fit with the lines connected?

just to add in....

The factory 4th gen fuel level sending unit is the same ohms as the stock 2nd gen, so you can use the same gauge...

I am really sure that 2nd gen senders are 0-90 ohm, and 4th gen were 240-40 ohm. it would be nice if they were the same! If you know of something different, please let me know!

Leon
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:07:38 PM by reedld »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
The second step is completely optional if you want to use the fuel pump assembly's fuel level sender. I am not sure what the factory 2nd gen fuel level sender ohms are, but I am positive on the 99 Z28 sender.

It is important to think of how the fuel pump assembly needs to be clocked in order to get the fuel level sender to read properly, I will get to that in a min. With my Speedhut gauge, I needed to flip the fuel float from one side to the other so it will read correctly. The stock fuel pump assembly sender reads 240-40 ohms, and my gauge reads 33-240 ohms. So, it would be opposite if I left it stock. But I just took out the float assembly and flipped it to the other side by bending it 180* and it reads properly.

The arm simply unclips from the sensor, and just needs to be bent. I took some before pictures of the arm at full and empty positions so I could get it the same.

And after it was modified, how it looks. I hooked up my gauge to the sensor and it reads properly full/empty/middle/etc.

Now, to show the importance of having the fuel lines clocked properly. It is hard to tell from the picture, but with the fuel assembly clocked pointing directly towards the fuel neck, the sender will have plenty of room for a full range of motion. There may have been other ways to attempt this, but I decided to go with this direction.

I haven't fully completed the final assembly of the fuel pump assembly, but will be doing so in the near future. It is also important to note that the kit also requires a tank seal.

It is also worth mentioning that I did a test fit the fuel tank in the car, and the new fuel pump assembly does hit the bottom of the trunk. It will require either an access panel to allow access to the fuel pump and clearance for the added height or some spacers to lower the tank. Either way something will be needed to allow the fuel pump to fit. I am leaning more towards an access door for the ease of future use. For example, a bad fuel pump (upgraded unit) would require to remove the fuel tank and lines just to swap the fuel pump. I will update the thread with my method.

Also, for those looking to wire everything up. Here is a diagram for the pinouts for the fuel pump and sending unit plug. The other plug on the fuel pump assembly is a fuel tank pressure sensor, which I will not be using and don't have a good pinout for.

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:39:06 AM by ryeguy2006a »

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD

nocturneTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Ryan, that is looking great and a very good write up.   Are you going to completely weld the base or use a sealer to finish it off?

LS1 / 6SPD /  3.90 gears / C-5 Brake kit   Etc...

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:42:19 AM »
I will add some sealer to finish it off. I also sprayed a little aluminum paint I had on the welds to prevent them from rusting.

nocturneTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »
good deal

LS1 / 6SPD /  3.90 gears / C-5 Brake kit   Etc...

takid455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »
your both right on the ohm readings. I know 97 and from ryan 99 have same resistance as old. Greater than 99 will have the 240 ohm sender.

How does this clear the trunk? I made a piece (inverted top hat) to recess the 4th gen fuel pump to clear  the trunk.

eroc022

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:22:37 AM »
your both right on the ohm readings. I know 97 and from ryan 99 have same resistance as old. Greater than 99 will have the 240 ohm sender.

How does this clear the trunk? I made a piece (inverted top hat) to recess the 4th gen fuel pump to clear  the trunk.

thought so, I just wasnt sure on years... also ryan stated in another thread it is tight, and I think he is going to make an access panel... my tanks inc unit fits nice and snug without having to notch metal... just kinda noisy in my opinion..

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »
Evan is right, the unit does hit the top of the trunk when installed. I am going to try spacing the trunk down and see how I like it, but more than likely I will make an access panel so I can easily remove the unit for maintenance or upgrades without having to drop the tank.

reedld

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »

yeah..forgot about 1997 and earlier being 0-90 ohm. My 4th gen sending unit has a broken clip....so i will most likely stick with the stock sender. My autometer cobalt guage is 0-90ohm...and I didnt win the cobalt programable one on eBay the other night. My only concern is if the 4th gen pump bucket interferes with the stock 2nd gen sender.There is some info out there on a 97 Grand Prix sender..it is 0-90 ohm and fits the 4th gen bucket, but I am not sure of this.

the inverted top hat to recess the pump is a nice idea...did you have to cut down the height of the pump bucket? post a pic if you have it. I've seen some pics online of people who have cut access holes in the trunk. I am leaning towards doing that as well.

krwyellowz28

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
Nice thread with detailed pictures.  I was curious why you will be adding sealant anwhere, though.  It looks to me like the factory o-ring sandwiched between the original tank and the fuel pump will be all the seal you need.  Also, post up a couple pics of the tank spaced down, if you get a chance.  I am looking to do the same thing to my '79 and would rather not cut the original rust free trunk if I don't have to.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/373779-how-modify-ls1-fuel.html

This page has a lot of info on the 97 grand prix fuel level sensor that Leon mentioned. Looks like the part number is #25319676 grand prix non-supercharged. As seen in the link above, it is a direct replacement for the stock 99-02 sensor and will give you the 0-90 ohm reading for stock or aftermarket gauges.

The biggest downside to that 97 sensor is that it costs 130 bucks with shipping! But apparently there are two sensors per box, so you could split them with someone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:28:51 PM by ryeguy2006a »

REDL1NE

• Active Forum Member
  • LS SWAP COMPLETE!!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
Sorry to bump and old thread, but I give Ryan a lot of credit for this. Very useful info and good for anyone doing this.

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
Just ordered the adapter from Vetteworks... Thanks for the write up Ryan.
76 Pontiac TA (long gone, first car)
69 Cadillac Eldorado (long gone)
00 HD Road King Classic
65 Pontiac GTO (gone, not forgotten)
67 Shelby AC Cobra replica (gone, winning shows still)
76 Trans Am LS1/4A TA (a recreation of my very first car)
74 Olds Cutlass Supr (status: on hold)
69 Pontiac Grand Prix (frame-off beginning soon)
Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=57079.0

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 07:15:22 AM »
Just as an update to this thread, the way that this kit works it will require modifications to the trunk floor. Another member Leon here used the same kit as myself, but lowered the flange by using a reverse top hat style panel. It allowed you to sink the flange flush to the top of the gas tank and allows you to retain the stock trunk pan. I do believe that there are slight modifications to the fuel bucket though. Overall, very good swap and utilizing the reverse top had would be the only change I would make.

reedld

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
I'm the one who had a recess built into the tank....

I didn't really need to do any mods to the fuel bucket. I decided to change the actual pump in the bucket only for piece of mind. When I did that, I purposely shortened the larger diameter hose...only to avoid kinking it when I compressed the bucket to the max. The hoses were on very tight and I had to use a razor blade to remove them. Cutting the metal posts and re-flaring them seemed like a lot of work. I re used my 0-90 ohm fuel level sender...only because my existing autometer cobalt gauge could not be programmed. I did have to tweek the arm to avoid the fuel bucket.  
Good luck! We'll help with advice any way we can.

Leon

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af117/reedld/fuel%20system/77028351af77c166c64bc522053cf65d_zpsade340ce.jpg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:41:18 AM by reedld »

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
Ryan and Leon,
Thanks guys for blazing the path...I'll post up on my thread when I get my tank and use the adapter.   :smile:
Duff
76 Pontiac TA (long gone, first car)
69 Cadillac Eldorado (long gone)
00 HD Road King Classic
65 Pontiac GTO (gone, not forgotten)
67 Shelby AC Cobra replica (gone, winning shows still)
76 Trans Am LS1/4A TA (a recreation of my very first car)
74 Olds Cutlass Supr (status: on hold)
69 Pontiac Grand Prix (frame-off beginning soon)
Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=57079.0

Steve in PA

• Active Forum Member
      • Search for My Old Car
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
just to add in....

The factory 4th gen fuel level sending unit 97-99 is the same ohms as the stock 2nd gen, so you can use the same gauge...

with the 4th gen setup and running the LS motor, its regulated at the pump for 60 psi, which is what is required for the LS engine to run....

For clarification since there was some debate in the thread that made it difficult to be certain... A 97-99 fuel sending unit will or will not work with factory second Gen fuel guage?

eroc022

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »
just to add in....

For clarification since there was some debate in the thread that made it difficult to be certain... A 97-99 fuel sending unit will or will not work with factory second Gen fuel guage?

no after further investigation it will not work, the ohms are all wrong for the sending units. as long as you leave your factory one in place and dont remove it you can still connect the wiring to the factory sending unit.

ryeguy2006a

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
It all depends on what fuel sender you get. In order to work with the stock gauge it needs to be 0-90 ohms, nothing else will work. I know for certain the 97-02 fuel sending units will not work with the factory gauges, it reads backwards and totally wrong ohms. Something like 220-33 ohms.

Don't over think this one. Do like what eroc022 said (and what I did) and just leave the factory sender in it's stock location and use it. Just take care to make sure that the fuel sender doesn't contact anything.

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:48 AM »
You can help support TAC!