Author Topic: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project **Progress Update 07/07/2014**  (Read 4658 times)

Ag77T/A

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 359
My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project **Progress Update 07/07/2014**
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:08:22 AM »
Finally started my tear down this weekend. Everything looks pretty good considering it's 36 years old.
The only problem I encountered was breaking loose the middle sub frame bolts. Looks like I have some welding to do on sub frame nut retainers.  :-x






Area under the battery tray held up pretty good.










Factory original red oxide primer is such a beautiful sight.  :)



A shot of my cowl tag.




My fuel gauge exhibited the typical symptom of a shorted level sensor so I decided to drop the tank and see how bad it was rusted plus wanted to hunt for my build sheet which turned out to be a bust. The rust was a lot worse than I thought so I ordered a new tank and level sender assembly instead of having the original cleaned and coated.

I was not satisfied with the replacement tank but decided to use it with some mods to correct some of the plumbing issues.
I still have to clean up the clips and return line before I reinstall the tank. I'm going to clear coat the tank to try and help maintain the natural steel look.

The factory setup:                                                                 

     

Replacement Tank:



Dusted off the plumbing tools and got to work:



Double flared the tank vent line:



Decided to bend my own vent line and not chop up my original. The supply line on the replacement level assembly has a slightly different route:



Return and Vent Connections:



Front side of tank:



Tank connections:



Here is a neat little trick that I learned. Don't fully compress the adapter when doing the first step of the double flare. Stop short of bottoming the adapter out. When you pull the flare adapter off your left with a little bump that holds the hose a little more snug than just straight tubing.


« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:04:27 PM by Ag77T/A »

Bullet

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 369
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:40:16 AM »
Ingenuity at it's finest.  Nice work!
2002 WS.6 M6

LeighP

  • Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 20653
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
Nice plumbing work...very clean!
I also do the same with the flaring tool....make that little raised section on the end for the hose to seal better.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe


Ag77T/A

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 359
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
**************    Engine Cleanup & Paint / Bottom End Freshening Up & Upgrades   ****************

Crank removed to install BOP's Viton rear main seal & one piece oil pan gasket also cleaning up for paint and installing a new set of brass welch plugs:



Crank looks great. Installing new bearings while it's apart:



Partial VIN on the block:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:06:24 PM by Ag77T/A »

Ag77T/A

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 359
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »
*******************    Installing Polyurethane Engine Mounts    **************************

They do not offer a direct application for Pontiac mounts but with a small modification you can use Chevy mounts in the Pontiac clam shells.
I also want to give credit to our fellow TAC member LeighP for providing the info to do this modification.



Remove the metal tabs so they will work with the Pontiac engine brackets.

 
 
Compress in a vise then use heavy zip ties to temporarily hold them together until bolted in the frame.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:07:30 PM by Ag77T/A »

Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

Ag77T/A

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 359
Dash Bezel Cleanup.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 11:29:02 AM »
Thought I would try my hand cleaning up my dash bezel.
After I broke the bezel down I used regular gel paint stripper to remove the factory clear. I then used a lint free rag and paint reducer to clean up the swirled metal being careful not to scratch the pattern. I then applied three coats of rattle can clear. The black top trim plate is riveted so you just drill them out and use 1/8 pop rivets to reattach.
It's not a professional job but it will do for now.  I'm eventually going to send it out to Randy at Transamdashbezels.com

A Before Shot:


Bezel Break Down:


You Can See How Rough The Clear Coat Is.  I Also Found A New Die Cast RTS Emblem For An Ausie Holden:


After Stripping and Clear Applied:


Assembled Bezel (Minus Top Plate) With New Die Cast Emblem. One Of The Turn Indicator Lens Broke So I Used Plastic Translucent Green Bingo Chips As A Replacement:



« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:09:16 PM by Ag77T/A »

Bullet

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 369
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project **Progress Update 01/18/2014**
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:15 PM »
Excellent work!
2002 WS.6 M6

Ag77T/A

  • Active Forum Member
  • *
  • Posts: 359
Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project **Progress Update 07/07/2014**
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
A few before and after shots of my rear differential restoration.



















« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:50:07 PM by Ag77T/A »

Re: My Silver '77 T/A Refresh Project **Progress Update 07/07/2014**
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
You can help support TAC!