transamcountry.com
July 29, 2014, 10:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lots of spinning over before it starts  (Read 553 times)
steve78ta
Active Forum Member

« on: January 24, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »

It takes about 1 minute of cranking the motor over before it finally starts. Once it starts you can shut it off and it will crank right up. I only fire it up about once a week as it is waiting on the body work. It drives and idles fine,lots of power,air choke is working. It is as if all the fuel drains out while it sits there. Shouldnt the fuel bowl hold enough fuel to start it up even if it has been a week? The timing is great on the car. It only does this after sitting over 24 hours or so. Wanted to get some info before I look harder at the carb. Spray pump maybe? Fuel bowl leaking? Any advice would be great.  Steve

" If you didn't build it, it ain't yours. "
firebirdparts
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

firebirdparts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »

My old redbird does the same thing.  It's dry.  I guess the fuel is leaking down, but I haven't looked at it to see what it's going to take to fix it.

I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
steve78ta
Active Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

Probably going to check the carb sprayer,then the float bowl...then if nothing is wrong there put a check valve in I guess...

LilSki
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »

There are two ways a Qjet can drain its fuel. One is through the fuel line back down to the pump, and the other is through the well plugs in the carb at the bottom of the bowl. If the well plugs are leaking no check valve in the world would fix it.

Kevin
79 Trans Am: (77 nose), WS6, M-21, 461, Hotchkis TVS, PTFB Contol arms. 
85 Trans Am: Vortec 350 w/LT1 cam/T56, TPI conversion w/Megasquirt II.
Grand73Am
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:49:35 PM »

I suggest that you don't continuously crank the motor over for a minute. Try this. Before cranking, push the pedal to the floor once and let up slowly and take your foot off the pedal. Then crank it a little. If it doesn't start. Repeat the same procedure. If it still doesn't start, do it again. It should eventually start and stay running. This way you're not wearing out your starter and battery with the continuous cranking.

I have one that does the same thing, and the q-jet probably is leaking down, since I haven't rebuilt that one. But, it does start better if I do it like described above. It's actually the procedure the factory put in the owner's manual for starting the car.

Steve F.
1OLDBRD
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:29 PM »

You could resort to priming it until you get it fixed right.  Better than cranking.
ILLTA77
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

A weak fuel pump will also cause excessive cranking, if the carb is not getting fuel.  Be sure the fuel filter has the check valve. Take a fuel pressure reading.  The well plugs can leak allwying the fuel to drain out of the carb, but a fuel pump with-in specs, will refill the carb within 30 sec or so of cranking, again, dont over crank the engine at once, or the starter can fail before it's time...
silver78
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »

Another way to check for carb leak down is before starting the motor pull the oil dipstick and smell for gas.  If it's leaking down enough for that your gonna ruin the motor sooner than later.

65 Galaxie sold
67 camaro RS sold
68 camaro RS sold
69 camaro sold
81 T/A 4 spd sold
86 IROC sold
88 Formula 350 sold
92 Z-28 sold
93 9C1 Caprice sold
94 Impala SS sold
2000 Super Duty current
2006 Malibu SS wifes
78 TA BREAKEN MY BACK!
ryeguy2006a
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »

Another way to check for carb leak down is before starting the motor pull the oil dipstick and smell for gas.  If it's leaking down enough for that your gonna ruin the motor sooner than later.
I was thinking along the lines of silver78, I would be nervous as to where the fuel is leaking to?

1976 Trans Am LS1, 6 speed, C5 12.8" Brakes, LS1 rear 12" brakes, 17" Aluminum Rims, and much more...SOLD
My Build: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=24465.0
My Feedback: http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=37555.0

LOOKING FOR MY NEXT PROJECT!! PM ME WITH SOMETHING RUST FREE!
aussieta
Active Forum Member

aussieta aussieta
aussieta aussieta aussieta
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »

as lilski said the plugs in the bottom of the carb are leaking the fuel from the bowl into inlet manifold and evaporating
when you are cranking you are refilling the bowl
strip the carb down and epoxy those plugs
tajoe
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:52 PM »

If you want to check if your bowl is empty, in the morning, before you try to start it, pull the aircleaner, and watch the strength of your accelerator pump shot. Actuate your throttle lever back and forth a few times, and see if it shoots fuel. If it works fine, move on to step 2.

"You can sell an old man a young mans car,
but you can't sell a young man an old mans car"
                                       Bunkie Knudsen
800qjet
Oracle Forum Member

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 05:13:14 PM »

I have a  Carter 120 fuel pump and a Purolater glass filter - after a drive when I pop the hood I can see the fuel level go down. The Qjet plugs are sealed and I don't smell gas on the dipstick. The fuel tank is vented now and I've wondered what effect that may have on hard starting, though the car does sit a lot.

You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. For instance - if she's holding a gun, she's probably angry.
steve78ta
Active Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »

Thanks guys...no worries..I didnt mean I held the key for a minute...off and on but it sure is not helping the starter either way. I will work on it today and try to find out which it is. Finally have a day off to look at it. She is not being drove as the body and interior are stripped,just noticed this problem while keeping the battery charged....Later!

transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: