Author Topic: A/C Wiring Diagram and A/C Blower How-tos  (Read 60440 times)

cwi inspector

• Forum Member
Re: A/C Wiring Diagram and A/C Blower How-tos
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
Traced the problem back to the ignition switch. Changed that and I believe the problem is solved. The test light would light up when I put it on the blower fan connection with the ignition off. Traced back along the circuit testing all switches. Still had power to those with the ignition off. The only thing left was the ignition switch. Changed that out and now the test light goes out when the ignition is turned off. I hope that fixed it. I guess I will find out later if the battery is still charged. Once again thanks for all your help.

Amigo-2k

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »
I have a 1977 TA with an LS swap with AC and the blower motor only seems to have 1 speed (low).   Reading through this, it sounds like I need some sort of ground to fix this?

1977 TA - LS1 swapped

lund85

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
I hope someone is still watching this thread.  i have an interesting issue with my blower ive got it working 90% of the time, but ran into an issue when i charged the a/c the blower works on all settings except 1 when set to max ac the blower drops to low no matter what the setting but works fine on normal and bi-level not max 

lund85

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 06:08:34 AM »
sorry i forgot to add it is a 78 trans am with 400

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
That is a bit odd.  Here is my guess as to the reason:

On some years Max AC was supposed to force the blower to HIGH and as a result, there is a separate wire that powers the fan on Max AC.  [Edit]  78's don't have this wire.  I think you got earlier model controls and 1978 wiring which doesn't match exactly.  If it's anything like that, I think you can jumper two pins on the control head and you'll be okay.  The wiring diagram for 78 posted here shows that the control head still has the pin but there's no wire. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:18:39 AM by firebirdparts »
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
I noticed the same issue. Did you ever find resolve?

I am replacing my heater core and with everything apart now, I decided to test AC, determine if it works and blows cold, if so I will leave alone. If it doesn't blow cold, I might as convert to R134a.

3 items/issues:
1) -->> When I set the AC to MAX  and the fan to Hi (max setting out of 4) the blower doesn't spin at all....
.....matter of fact it doesn't spin at all on any setting setting AC, Heater etc.  !! 

2) compressor clutch is not coming on.... is there a bypass/jumper method that I could do to tell if compressor is o.k.?

3) the fan stays on low at all times when key is in ignition on start or run  (all settings" on , off, heater, Ac , etc.)

as the whole heater box under console is out, the only the vacuum small tubes are all disconnected on heater box and kick panel...  all wiring is connected.

I have 2 wires going to the blower black and brown with rubber boot.
The 4 wires going to blower resistor,
4 more wires going to silver box (what is this?)
green and blue wire connector to accumulator
and the 2 wires hot and ground going to compressor.

Jason
1979 Firebird TA (.403 olds K model)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:59:54 AM by via3d »
~ J

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »
If you have low fan speed, then that means that the heater fuse has power.

The system gives a lot of trouble, as you can see in this thread.  If the blower does not want to work just in max AC, then that sounds like a switch issue on the controller, or a simple wiring issue there between the switches.

The mode controller has contacts that allow the blower to run in each setting that is not "off".  This is just a simple feature.  When "off" the fan drops back to low speed.  When "on" the fan switch then gets power, and there is a wire connecting those two, the mode controller contacts to the fan speed switch.  From the fan speed switch, there are 3 circuits coming out, so I think that is not your problem.  You can check by seeing if you can get power to anything on the resistors other than "low".

If the compressor won't run, I would bet you're low on freon.  You can check that, yes, by jumping at the evaporator accumulator.  You should have power coming there when A/C is selected, so troubleshoot that if you don't.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2017, 09:39:48 AM »
Firebirdparts, thanks for quick reply. I am in the thick of this now working on her.

to be sure - "mode controller"  - your referring to dash controls?

I may have confused things in my writ. In summary:

A. low is always on, when controls or off and car running or key in start/run position.  Is this correct and acceptable?

B. AC MAX setting, blower fan does not operate.
Question B1: All others seem to operate fine. Is this because the compressor clutch isn't engaging?
Question B2:   

C. Compressor clutch does not come on at all with dash controls.  You indicated this may be freon low...
The clutch DOES run when I jump it at the accumulator pins.
Question C1: Does this mean the compressor is o.k. , and most likely freon is low? 
Question C2: Can I run it a few minutes with it jumped... long enough to check the freon level with gauges?

Sidenote: I have the r134A fittings and newer gauges so I can test.
Seemed odd the retro-fittings... high side is in on the accumulator? and lowside on railing leading to evaporator ?

E. If freon is low, can I use hotshot or some similar alternative for the time being?

F. If answer is yes to E  Is it better to go ahead and convert to R134a??   (vacuum, new accumulator and expansion valve, fill to 80% freon level)

...apologies for the bombardment... I am steadily trying to get her running currently.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:23:47 AM by via3d »
~ J

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
A: Yes
B:  No
C:  You are low on freon.  Do not run the compressor, no need.  you can just put the gauges on.  if you have 30 psi or more, then maybe it should have come on, and maybe we might suspect the pressure switch.  However, I would bet it's low.  These compressors leak.
DEF:  We have had many threads on refrigerant conversion, and of course the conclusions for a Trans Am are not very different from any other formerly R12 car.  There are pros and cons of several options.  R134A is certainly cheap.  R12 is still available reclaimed.  The original a/c system will leak.  I would say look at some other threads on this.  I think an abrupt change to 134A is probably the cheapest option, but you need to leak check with something.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:24:10 PM by firebirdparts »
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
Firebirdparts, others ~

Blower motor not work on HI setting.

I am at a loss what to do at the moment regarding ?   

- AC compressor relay?
- Blower resistor - doubt this is the issue right ? all other settings work....
- Take the dash controller out and inspect contacts ?

O.K. Dash controller out.
Reading posts and I agree, doubtful it is the blower resistor.
--->>>  When I switch to HI on the controller,  The AC compressor relay has a real loud clicking noise. No other setting does it. Doesn't matter the selection on the dash (ac, normal, heat, etc.)

BAD RELAY?

Is there a means to jumper to test the blower motor on HI setting? This way the blower is eliminated and VIOLA - it must be the relay?

I found your post w/ wiring diagram for a 78 TA...  it will take me awhile comprehend it if I can at all ...  LOL

I am trying yo finish my original problem (heater core) but need to make sure the blower motor is fine.
I can retro-fit or do whatever with the AC later, but I need to get the heater core done and the car back together. 
It only leaves the evap not accessible (I figure low risk, chancing the evap will work).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:50:25 PM by via3d »
~ J

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
You can't inspect the contacts, I don't suppose.  You might be able to get some contact cleaner in there.  I have never really tried to take that switch apart, so I may be wrong.  the switch where it sits on the mode controller should be pretty obvious.  What's not obvious is that the MAX AC setting had its own unique contacts.

This thread in which you are posting is the sticky wiring diagram thread.  You can apply 12 volts to whatever you want to except for the ground wire.

If High fan speed is not working, there are a lot of components involved in that.  You'd be crazy not to use a volt meter here.  You need power on two wires to the relay for it to work.  If you get that, then you need the relay to turn on.

Your question about a jumper connecting the compressor to the blower:  don't.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:01:40 PM by firebirdparts »
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
I updated my above post firebirdparts while you posted ... LOL

anyways UPDATE:

Controller out now.

The switch is basic... at first look burnt but its not. there was goo glue that just aged like molasses (how switch was made with adhesive). 

What I notice now with car not running, only key in start....
There is a loud clicking noise in the compressor relay when the HI setting is selected. Doesn't matter the dash setting (heat, AC, norm, etc).

Is this really supposed to click loudly on HI only (and not operate)?  no other mode selection or fan setting does this. 

this means power is getting to the relay at least...     BUT leaves relay or blower motor as culprit. Almost narrowed down.

I have volt meter just need to figure out  what 12v to where.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:59:25 PM by via3d »
~ J

via3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 10:10:52 PM »
Ok All,

ISSUE: the Fan Blower is not working on HI.... All other settings for the blower fan work fine.
CAUSE: Wiring connector !!!

Possible causes:
1) Blower resistor - if other fan settings are working, the resistor likely is fine
2) Blower relay - not sure how to check, check for 12v to and from perhaps. I checked voltages for 12v at the hot wire to the blower. noticed HI fan setting only produced 3.5-4v here.
Relay had power, you could here in click loud most tomes when set HI on and off , with only key in ignition on start not run
3) Blower - not sure how to test really - it works or it doesn't perhaps.... since it worked on all other settings I didn't think this was an issue.  However for peace of mind vs. a 38 years blower, I replaced mine for less than $20 since everything was apart (a major job)
4) Mode controller - bad switch (IMO least likely)
5) Wiring/connectors

My issue / SOLUTION:  Wiring connector  !!!!!!!!!  clean crimp and di-electric grease.  I traced the wiring and discovered a serious voltage drop when set to HI on the alternator hot wire that feeds this blower circuit.

See this post for some details on possible other sympyoms leading to same cause/solution.
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=77959.msg735900#msg735900

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:47:37 AM by via3d »
~ J

glhx

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2018, 05:18:29 PM »
This is a standard wiring diagram for the 1978 model year. It’s just a color version of the one posted in the first post.

This one is a 1979 version
It’s accurate to the car. I’ve based it off of the 1978 version above but made this one from my own car. Some of the wire colors are different and no thermoswitch

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:46:52 AM by glhx »

Fuzzy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Here is my issue(s):

I have no speed control to the blower motor at all (for the longest time I have everything but High).
-I tried replaceing the High blower relay, that didn't fix anything.  is this a switch, resistor or something else problem?

The compressor doesn't turn on when I slide the lever over to it

79 T/A 403

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
Many things affect the aircon system. The compressor doesn't turn on, it simply engages and disengages the clutch behind the pulley. For that to even occur the power must have got past the pressure switch (es) meaning there's suitable pressure in the lines for it to operate. The pressure switches can also stick and fail. You can check if you have power at this point by unplugging the pressure switch and checking the plug terminal with a test light when the AC mode is selected. Running off the same feed is the compressor clutch, is it locking and unlocking when AC selected? There's also a live wire running to the carb idle solenoid. If none of these activate then you need to look at the pressure switch or prior. If the solenoid works but not the clutch, run some wires directly to the compressor terminal to test direct.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2019, 06:22:48 PM »
Ok ignore that, not sure where the post went that I replied to....??

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:38 AM »
Here is my issue(s):

I have no speed control to the blower motor at all (for the longest time I have everything but High).
-I tried replaceing the High blower relay, that didn't fix anything.  is this a switch, resistor or something else problem?

The compressor doesn't turn on when I slide the lever over to it

Sounds like you blew the heater fuse.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Fuzzy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 08:05:45 AM »
thanks, I'll check it out.

The blower still turns on "off" but I don't know if there is another source of power for all the others
79 T/A 403

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2019, 08:46:45 AM »
Not sure what you meant, there's no Off for fan on an AC model.

Fuzzy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
That's what I meant,  even though none of the other fan settings work, the fan still blows on when off.

I was asking is if the fuse is blown, would it still blows when off (I know it's supposed to blow on low when in off position)
79 T/A 403

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2019, 12:15:11 PM »
Okay, well, the fuse is not blown if the fan is blowing on low all the time.  On the back of the a/c controls, there is a sort of a harmonica shaped connector.  If that slips off, it disables everything but leaves the fan blowing on low all the time.  So that's my second guess.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Bobby G

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
When doing a A/C delete, can I get rid of the wires I don't need to make the blower work?

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2019, 11:36:58 PM »
The blower on my '77 T/A has not worked for some time. I checked the heater fuse and it seemed to be ok. I checked for voltage (red wire) at the relay and have around 12.8 volts with engine off/ignition off. There are 0 volts on the brown wire that goes to the blower motor with the ignition off but have over 12 volts when ignition is on, still blower is not operating. I was trying to see if the wires had worked themselves loose at the blower, well all of the wire jiggling caused the blower to start working!

I checked the voltage at the brown wire and it came in at 5.30V with the ignition on/engine off. The second I moved the mode selector to Max A/C, so I can check to see if I can change fan speeds, the blower stops working. Leaving ignition on, I once again jiggle the brown, possibly ground wire too and blower motor starts working again. Just like before, when I move the selector to Max A/C, it stops working. Maybe there is a bad connection at the blower motor. I would really hate to remove the inner fender again!! :mad:

Any suggestions?
1977 Trans Am stroked 400 (468)
1989 Iroc-Z28 5.7 TPI 90K original miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS LS 2/4L65e
1997 Silverado 5.7 Z71 Single Cab, Short box (daily driver)

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »
The blower draws a lot of amps, and those connections can get hot. that encourages corrosion.  I guess my suggestion would be to keep cleaning and if you have to remove the inner fender to squeeze any terminals, then you probably will have to that.
Joe Bays
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1970 Datsun Pickup
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 07:23:10 AM »
An easy change (if you don’t mind throwing a fairly cheap part at it) is the relay before you go pulling the inner wheel well again. Mine started working intermittently on high a few times before it just quit. I even tested the relay it it seemed to test ok but on a hunch I changed it and it works fine now. Worth a try especially if it’s original.

If your ignition is on but the slider isn’t on max A/C setting nor is the fan speed selected on high the fan relay should be at rest meaning it’s passing voltage from the resistor (for lowest speed, 2nd lowest and second from highest) to the blower. That would explain your low voltage there. High fan setting or Max a/c should energize the relay which closes the circuit from the alternator straight to the blower. So if yours is old and acting up like mine the high setting might be intermittent
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 07:51:15 AM by b_hill_86 »
-Brian-

1977 Trans Am 400 4 speed

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »
Firebirdparts and b_hill,

I guess i will remove the inner fender and check things out. I don't suspect corrosion since the engine bay wiring was replaced about 10 years ago and the A/C has not been run until very recently. The car also is not run too often...maybe 4K miles in since the engine was rebuilt and electrical replaced (engine). I also live in a dry climate (not sure if that has any bearing).

The resistor and relay have been replaced but I have new ones just in case. I also purchased a Thermal switch, since the compressor was not cycling. I also purchased a new blower motor, just in case.

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2019, 03:16:22 PM »
I went ahead and removed the inner fender. All of the electrical connections are firmly secure but I unplugged the positive wire to the blower motor and connected once more. I turned on the ignition/engine off and the blower worked. I then moved the selector to Max A/C and the blower ran on high but didn't shut down this time.  I couldn't change the fan speed, so I'm going to replace the resistor...just to rule that out. If that doesn't work, I'll try cleaning the contacts on the fan switch. If that doesn't work, I'll replace it.

What do guys think?

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
Wouldn’t change speed on Max A/C or wouldn’t change speed no matter what setting the HVAC slider was on? Cause in 77 and earlier years when you select Max A/C it purposely changes the fan speed to high regardless of the fan speed switch setting. Just FYI
-Brian-

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2019, 12:22:58 AM »
Good to know...makes sense then. When I moved the selector to anything other than Max A/C, the fan ran on low, no fan control. I went ahead and replaced the Auto zone blower motor with an AC Delco part. It seems to be better built...I felt more aire move too.

Original Air out of Florida has a restoration service for just about any part of the HVAC system.  I was thinking about sending the controls to them to restore. Is this something I can do myself?  Has anyone sent in their control unit to be restored?

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
Can’t answer that but i would think they can be cleaned up. I do have an extra set of controls if you want some pictures of the workings. There isn’t a lot to them really.
-Brian-

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
Yes please. I have the cable to the damper door disconnected currently. I wanted to replace the fan switch and find out if I can clean up the selector lever...it is quite stiff.

b_hill_86

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
I don’t have a photo hosting account to post pictures here. PM me an email address and I’ll snap some tomorrow if possible and send them off to you
-Brian-

gm muscle

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »
Thanks. PM sent

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »
You can help support TAC!