2020-B1-7

Author Topic: Fitting a new Booster/Mastercylinder? - Something You Need to Check....  (Read 63399 times)

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
Re: Fitting a new Booster/Mastercylinder? - Something You Need to Check....
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 07:28:40 AM »
Hey Leigh, thanks for the reply.

When I was sourcing out brakes I decided to spend the extra $$ and buy both MC and booster from one quality brand supplier (DSE). My reasoning was to minimize the potential for mismatched parts along with the presumption that some R&D had gone into the parts to achieve good quality fit and finish because they are sold as vehicle specific part #.

Here is what I rec'd (keep in mind these parts are $$$):

Master Cylinder
  • unfinished cast, not aluminum
  • no bench bleeding tubes provided

Booster
  • studs that retain the bracket to the rear of the booster had to be trimmed right back to the nut becuase the OEM firewall studs would interfer with these booster studs

• not a direct replacement at the brake pedal because the oem rod pin had to be removed and pressed out in order to acommodated the adjustable DSE U-celvis/pin
  • black powder coat is nice

..and now I need to check the MC-to-Booster pin deepth is correct!!! Needless to say I'm not happy about all of the above.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »
I can understand that.....I found the mismatch between two different pieces (replacement booster and aftermarket master) that "should" have worked together, but didn't.....
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yhmt

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
Well I guess I can add one more item to my previous "Booster" list because I discovered the supplied DSE brake pedal celvis pin is smaller in diameter than the original pressed in pin.

No matter how high I adjusted the pedal to try and remove slack there was always a substantial amount of free pedal sloppiness.

In the end I made a bushing out of thin gauge aluminum so the DSE pin (taller one in this pic) fits snuggly into the brake pedal arm hole: 

Brake lights now come on the instant the pedal is touched and it all feels much firmer however did not have the opportunity to re-bleed and test the brakes yet.

Sgtrock

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
Will this booster fit without the modifications mentioned above? http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/pb9521

z10

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
Here's a tip I hope saves some of you guys some work.  I ordered a 9" Tuff Stuff Booster and an inline tube master with bleeders, for my 79 TA.  Because I wanted to save the original booster and it's riveted firewall bracket, I also ordered brackets for the new booster, from Classic Industries.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1979/pontiac/firebird/parts/153650a.html
After spending a lot of time and busting knuckles I had the booster and MC installed. 

But something didn't look right.  Because the new brackets where taller than the original, the master was up too high, which would not allow the hood to shut.  Thankfully I hadn't filled the master with Dot 3 and bench bled it.

So, out came the wrenches, busted a few more knuckles and removed all of it.   Broke out a grinder and ground the rivets of the original booster to remove the original bracket, and fitted it to the new booster.  So, much for rebuilding the OE booster!!!!!!.    Don't use the Classic Industries brackets.

Hope this helps someone avoid the hassle.

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 05:29:35 AM »
"Use with most aftermarket boosters"......except the one you bought...don't you hate that?  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Yhmt

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »
Does anyone have pics or guidance on where to add the 10 lb Residual valve?

Thanks
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

yellow1098

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »
After reading through this it sounds like the MC and BB replacement/upgrade requires quite a few modifications...I was loooking at aftermarket upgrades from rightstuff/DSE but those sound like those require those major mods....I'm having to press the pedal all the way to the floor right now at a light but it works fine when up to speed...I also have a bit of a stalling issue lately and I'm thinking it's connected...maybe a vacuum leak....is there a good bolt on stock replacement?

duffinatur

• Active Forum Member
      • My 76 build
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
Thank you.  Had I not found this post about the push pin, I would have chased my tail a little longer.
My pin ended up being a full .060" short for my new MC!
76 Trans Am LS1/4A TA (a recreation of my very first car)
74 Olds Cutlass Supr (status: when I have time)
08 Pontiac G8 GT (summer)
09 GMC SLT 4x4 (winter)
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=57079.0

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2020, 07:12:45 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3