transamcountry.com
October 26, 2014, 12:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Trans Am Side Vents-Air Extractors  (Read 2397 times)
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« on: November 30, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »

Here's a new product for us. Thought I would share it as its part of the LS2 T56 Trans Am build.

We've been working on them for a while for this project and just got the time to do photo's today. Thought you guys would like to be the first to see them.

Some feedback would be great.

Trans Am Custom Side Vent Air Extractors for 1970-1981 Trans Am's

Direct bolt in, absolutely no fender mods, fit exactly like GM factory air extractors.

• 30% more open area than factory Trans Am extractors, keeps underhood temps cooler.
  • Billet machined 6061 T6 solid aluminum bar inserts, highly polished.
  • Chromed aluminum insert screen.
  • Epoxy composite construction.
  • Direct Bolt in.
  • 100% guaranteed fit.
  • Paint to match or leave as is.
  • Complete with everything needed to install.

Don't forget to check out the build.

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?90866-Project-X-CLEAN-1981-Trans-Am-2nd-Gen-LS2-6-spd

gold79ta
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

I like the look of the larger opening and the mesh screen but Im not sure if I like the cross bars.
It might grow on me.
 Could you make them without the bars?
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

I like the look of the larger opening and the mesh screen but Im not sure if I like the cross bars.
It might grow on me.
 Could you make them without the bars?

The bars pass thru the body of the fender insert. I guess you could fill them in if desired. You could also powder coat the bars black, or any color you want.
ZEFF
Active Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:02:14 PM »

they do look AWESOME!!  well made, good job! i agree about the cross bars.    i would like to see a full shot of a car with them installed.  i feel there may need to be additional installed elements that match the cross bars somewhere else on the car to really pull it off- but i may be (and prolly am) wrong...

1971 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 400 4 speed convertible
1967 Firebird 400 4 speed
1994 Formula Ram Air
1994 Dodge Viper

*previously owned*
1967 Firebird 455 convertible
1994 Firehawk
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »

they do look AWESOME!!  well made, good job! i agree about the cross bars.    i would like to see a full shot of a car with them installed.  i feel there may need to be additional installed elements that match the cross bars somewhere else on the car to really pull it off- but i may be (and prolly am) wrong...

Thanks Zeff, we certainly like them. Unfortunately can't take a full side shot as the car is not viewable at this time as we are working on it.
LeighP
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 05:39:11 AM »

They look great! I must say I can appreciate the work involved in doing these.

That said, I've been in the technical side of the aviation aviation industry for a long time and I'd have to say that given the design of the new part, I'm not real sure how much you'll get a definitive advantage from it.
A venturi (which is what this design is) works by utilising Bernoulli's principle....airflow over a curved surface accelerates, and in doing so it drops air pressure at the point where the air speeds up.
You might notice the factory extractors have a "curved" outer cover over the front of the extractor....this is to accelerate the airflow and thereby lower the air pressure over the extractor relative to the air pressure inside the engine bay. This is how the vent actually "extracts" engine bay air.
Without that curved leading cover over the new vent, the larger surface area of the vent will still exhaust engine bay air (which is at higher ambient pressure than the outside due to the ram effect of air intake through the grills/radiator)......but without a wind tunnel test, I'm not sure that the new one would be any more efficient than the factory extractor.

Not meaning to have a shot at them or anything....just offering my thoughts, is all.

They look terrific, and I can definitely see a market for them!
Nice work!!!!!!  Cool

Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Jack
Oracle Forum Member

1971 Espirt T/A Clone 1972 Formula

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:11:03 AM »

I'm not sure if I like them but they may grow on me... some thoughts:
I prefer that they are painted the same color as the car with the mesh black.
I prefer the mesh to be similar to the original (not diamond shaped).
The cross bars are a good idea but I think they are a bet modern for a 30-40 year old car, but they might blend in if they are painted black.

Regards, Jack
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:57:43 AM »

They look great! I must say I can appreciate the work involved in doing these.

They look terrific, and I can definitely see a market for them!
Nice work!!!!!!  Cool

Thanks !
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 07:59:38 AM »

I'm not sure if I like them but they may grow on me... some thoughts:
I prefer that they are painted the same color as the car with the mesh black.
I prefer the mesh to be similar to the original (not diamond shaped).
The cross bars are a good idea but I think they are a bet modern for a 30-40 year old car, but they might blend in if they are painted black.

They are paintable to match. The set you see is black primered.
You can also paint the bars is desired or PC.
norwood
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »

Nice, but take the bars off....JMHO
toomany
Forum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »

Loose the bars. Looks like some of the fake ones that  AutoZone sells.
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

Leigh got me thinking all day, how about if you rotate the fins vertically and tilt them in about 15 digress? Also if you add few more fins you could increase the cooling/air flow capacity drastically and cool the engine bay.

Regards, Jack
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »

Leigh got me thinking all day, how about if you rotate the fins vertically and tilt them in about 15 digress? Also if you add few more fins you could increase the cooling/air flow capacity drastically and cool the engine bay.

Looks like no "bars" might have won. I'll make a PS and post them up without it.

As to above and Leighs post, while Leigh is correct in regards to a venturi effect, consider that just moving at 35 MPH probably increase air pressure at the grill area an extra 3-4 PSI and at 60 MPH probably 5-8 PSI.

Those vents are blasting air out due to air pressure.

I would think that the increased area of the vents well outweighs the venturi effect that may or may not have been effective from the factory.
roadking77
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 08:10:44 PM »

I like them the way they are. Great job.
LeighP
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 05:13:16 AM »

Looks like no "bars" might have won. I'll make a PS and post them up without it.

As to above and Leighs post, while Leigh is correct in regards to a venturi effect, consider that just moving at 35 MPH probably increase air pressure at the grill area an extra 3-4 PSI and at 60 MPH probably 5-8 PSI.

Those vents are blasting air out due to air pressure.

I would think that the increased area of the vents well outweighs the venturi effect that may or may not have been effective from the factory.

Yeah, I certainly don't think they'd lose anything against the factory ones.....and the engine bay air is definitely going to be higher than ambient pressure with the air moving over the fenders. I was just thinking that the factory fender extractors are probably more efficient than people might think. I like the horizontal bars, but I'd paint it all body colour, I think.
Another thing that the larger surface area on the new ones will help is for PT style cars in traffic....with twin thermofans running, I know mine moves a lot of air volume....the extra vent area would be welcome.

Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

Birdman85
Active Forum Member

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:12:45 AM »

Not a fan of the bars. Inserts would look nice if they were black, maybe add a little more lip. Overall, pretty decent design.

1978 Starlight Black T/A W72 WS6 TT Manual
1978 Chesterfield Brown T/A WS6 HT Automatic
Blackcuda
Active Forum Member

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

The factory vents still look better, but since they have chrome bars, they might not look bad grafted into a Escalade.
mrbandit
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

TAC Webmaster

mike.barefoot
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »

I'm in the minority since I like the bars, but only if the overall car has some tie ins to the design.  I would say a TA with similar bars in the grille openings would do the trick.  I would also think they would be even more marketable if you could have difference mesh options.  I have a sheet of honeycomb mesh that I was going to use on my old 77 SE that had honeycomb grilles.  

Eitherway, excellent idea on an old design.
oldguyfl
Active Forum Member

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »

Here's a photoshop of the extractors without the bars. We are going to offer them both ways. With and without splitters.

Also you can paint the splitters to match the color of the car or black.

gold79ta
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

Looks good that way, I think it would clash with the body side moulding that most of us have on the car.
Might have to get some depending on price .
I have expensive tasts but no money to back it up.
Blackcuda
Active Forum Member

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 02:45:28 PM »

Yes, looks much better!
BlueTTA
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:57 PM »

I like it much better without the bars in it.  Also, I agree with MrBandit on the honeycomb mesh.

So how much do you plan to sell a set of them for ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:36:03 PM by BlueTTA » Logged

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone

Chris
1979 Blue and Black Formula 400
1979 Solar Gold T-top 403
1980 Black Turbo T-top SE  w/400
1980 Blue Turbo T-top 301
1980 Blue Hardtop 305
1981 Brown Turbo Hardtop 301
MikeS
Active Forum Member

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »

The first one looked like the cheap fake ones you can get at autozone that all the ricers put on their cars...much better without the side  bars! Very Happy
Jack
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 07:10:22 PM »

Much better, I think they will look better if you use honeycomb mesh.

Regards, Jack
1blk1
Oracle Forum Member

'79 WS6 W72 M21

Email
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »

X2 for no bars and honeycomb mesh

"the more im around people, the more i like my dogs"

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” Carl Sagan
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1] 2