Author Topic: New Carpet, padding, sound deadener  (Read 4548 times)

OrigOwner77

• Oracle Forum Member
New Carpet, padding, sound deadener
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:59:06 PM »
I put new aftermarket seats in my '80 a couple weeks ago (ok, ok, pics will be posted soon enough  :lol: ) and while installing them noticed the padding under the carpet was...let's go with "in need of replacement."

I do have a couple seal leaks I'm slowly addressing (kick panel / windows / etc) but don't know if I'll have them totally taken care of this year. That said, I'd still like to put new carpeting in regardless.

Questions:

1) Is the ACC brand carpet still the way to go? If so, should I go with their carpet made for automatic cars with console or without (and trim my own holes for the console)? I want to make sure whatever I spend $$$ on will fit great and need minimal modification. Whatever the previous owner used doesn't tuck fully under the console (the driveshaft hump area is cut too wide).

2) What should I use to replace the nasty original floor insulation/padding? I was thinking something along the lines of Dynamat but don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I also don't necessarily want to go with whatever the stock stuff is (or at least the old fluffy sticky damp stuff that I have now) due to it possibly getting damp if the car has to sit in the rain. The more weather-resistant the better.

3) The car will eventually be getting an aftermarket steering column without a dimmer switch, so I'll be relocating it to the floor (a la Pre-79 cars). Do the ACC carpets have a dimmer switch provision or will I need to measure/cut appropriately?

Thanks in advance!  :cool:

Like Father, Like Son

Dad's car: 77 T/A, Original Owner, W72, 48,000 miles, not quite stock.
My car: 80 T/A, WS6, 400 w/mild work

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
Re: New Carpet, padding, sound deadener
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
I think many have had success with ACC carpets, but the important thing to consider is the installation method.  Dynamat is a favorite for many to replace the heavy factory under layment.

mrpontiac80

• Oracle Forum Member
  • North west Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I still prefer ACC. They do come with a dimmer switch grommet for floor mounted switches but you will need to cut it yourself.  The precut carpets are sometimes hard to hide the cuts because they are cut larger than needed.  It can be done though, but you may have to increase the padding under the carpet and or glue the area under the console to keep it from pulling out and showing the cut hole.

A non cut carpet set will fit the same, but will obviously require cutting by you.

As for insulation, you can use dynomat but there are other choices like fat mat and etc. Personaly on my 80 TA I sprayed the floor with rubberized undercoating to help prevent against any moisture if anything ever leaked. I owned the car for many years and up to the week before selling it, the floors still looked great.  The carpets are molded to fit as original. because of this, you may need some sort of padded insulation to help the fit. I like to use a jute pad with a foil back. The foil back will face the floor and help with heat and etc, but the jute will hold tons of water if you ever get it wet.
Michael Russell

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Dynamat also make an acoustic pad...multi layer foams and such.... that doubles as underlay...its also closed cell, so it doesn't hold water. I'm using that for the floor pans (footwell areas etc)....probably convensional underlay over the tunnel as it'll sit down flatter/easier. I've also Dynamatted the floors and walls of the cabin.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

OrigOwner77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
Anything water-resistant for padding would be perfect; the car does sit outside in rain on occasion and I still do have a few leaks to deal with; however due to various reasons, getting the padding/carpet done is going to come before all the leaks are attended to.

The uncut carpet may be the way to go it sounds like; is that just the carpet for non-console cars that ACC sells? Since the carpet keeps flopping out from under my console now, the last thing I want to deal with is the same issue.

Now the fun part...if I go with Dynamat, how much do I need? I have a friend who should be able to order it for me, but knowing how much is needed of each type so the carpet lays properly is going to be the key. The acoustic pad stuff Leigh mentioned sounds like what I want to use on the floorpans. I don't know that I need to really dynamat the full interior (e.g. behind the rear seatback) so anything under the carpet should do, at least for now.

Like Father, Like Son

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 03:08:24 PM »
I bought two boxes of Dynamat.....still working on the 2nd box. So far I've done the parcel tray and rear seat panel, the rear sides floor to roof, the rear floors up to the middle of the front seats including the tunnel. By the looks of it, I'll have enough to finish the floor and maybe some on the inside of the door outer skins to stop drumming.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

David Green

• Active Forum Member
  • 1977 Black on Black Trans Am
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
I used the non console ACC carpet and just cut what was necessary under the console, I removed the shifter and just cut a small hole for the cable to come through and cut the tops of the console mounting plates to make them visible. then after laying the carpet throughout the rest of the car where it needed to be I bolted the shifter back down over the carpet and it won't move at all.  I used a product called Accumat made by Scosche, it is the same as Dynamat, on the floor before putting down the carpet and the carpet came with the padding attached where it needed to be also.
Black Trans Am does not mean it was in a movie. 
If it was a Bandit, my build sheet would have said so.

Ok so is the car ever really finished?  I already started a list or stuff to do to my "finished" TA.

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »
ACC all the way!

Plenty of lower dollar options instead of Dynomat without any real loss of quality.

In a nutshell the difference between Dyno mat and most other products out there LIKE Dynomat is that Dynomat has an AWESOME marketing team.

Example is a Q-Tip really what the product is called OR is it the BRAND NAME of a product marketed.

In the south no matter what soda you want you ask for a "Coke" then say you want a Sprite LOL

In the end Dynomat is priced high and has a huge market share but you can buy the same quality stuff for much less.

OrigOwner77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »
Cool, thanks all! Non console carpet it is! My friend's audio shop can get Dynamat and he wouldn't mark it up much above his cost, but if that falls through I'll definitely go the lesser-expensive route. I'm an audiophile, but ironically not using the Dynamat for audiophile purposes as the T/A isn't getting a full system. Biggest thing is water resistance, looks, comfort, etc.

Like Father, Like Son

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
Hi there, reviving yet another old thread to add some updated info.

I am in the process of rebuilding a 1979 Trans Am (with a 78 front end) and recently did the carpet. I pulled all the old stuff and scraped down the floor. Amazingly the floorpans were in excellent condition and had nearly zero rust. I was hoping that would be the case, but you never know until you get into. Aside from some cigarette butts, a playing card, and spare change from the 1980's, I found a build sheet under the front seat. It was really mangled.

Anyway, I purchased a carpet kit from Stock Interiors and I am really pleased with the fit and finish. Order details below if anyone is interested. They sent out a bunch of samples so I could see the color before ordering. The carpet arrived in a well packaged box and unfolded nicely. I let it sit out for a few days while I tore out the old stuff and all the creases came right out.

Fitment wise it was great. I ended up trimming the left and right sides under the door sills, but front to back it fit well. Taking my time with the seat anchor holes, seatbelt holes, etc. was worth it in the end. For the seat anchor holes, rather than cutting a square I left one side of teh square in tact and made it more like a "flap" that could then be used to cover the bolts that hold the seats in.

Under the carpet I used two boxes of Thermo-Tec #14620 60" X 36" Heat and Sound Suppressor. Not the cheapest stuff but it went down nice, was easy to form, and provided great heat and sound dampening. My wife noted the heat difference in the passenger footwell right away. I'd use it again.

Happy to post pics or send them to anyone that is interested.

Also bought Procar by Scat seats - will post that in the appropriate section.

ORDER DETAILS:
Item: 5448
Quantity: 1
Description: '76-'81 Pontiac Trans Am Molded Carpet Automatic, With Console
Color: 8835-Medium Beige Plush Cut Pile
Price (each): 129.95
Item Total: 129.95

Gene-73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 11:17:46 PM »
I'm anxious to see photos of your Procar seats once you've got them installed.  I'm looking at the Elite series and am curious how much headroom you end up with in a second gen compared to the stock seats.
Gene

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 03:02:27 AM »
I thought T-Tops were created just for Stetson wearers and low rooflines.

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
Another Try on the photo posting...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:55:42 AM by EscapeRacing »

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
Carpet pics

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
New seats look neat. To help them blend better into the darker tan interior you may get away with just retrimming the headrests to match, or use a spare set, or slip-on covers airline style.

For anyone installing fresh carpet note that the outer seatbelt anchors go under the carpet with slits for it to pass through, not bolt through carpet. That's why the covers are shaped that way and have nothing below what would normally be the carpet level.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:13:42 PM by Aus78Formula »

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
I have a little less headroom with my Procar because I switched out the sliders that came with seats for the Wedge Bracket double locking slider.

Procar Seat

Had these custom ordered with matching Camal Tan Oxen Vinyl.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 06:47:48 PM »
Perfect

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:46 AM »
formula jg - did you order the back seats from ProCar? Did they send you just the fabric or did you have to send in the actual seats? Cost?

I am trying to decide if I use them or find a local shop.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
Back seats are originals.
I coordinated between Procar (Scat) and SMS Interiors (they have most if not all OEM interior fabric materials) so that Procar placed the vinyl order directly through SMS and then used that material to complete the front seats with, think it was $725/seat including shipping.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
For sound deadening, vibration and water resistance I laid down Blueskin (brand name construction material), followed by a layer of Resistosound (another construction item used as a hardwood underlayment to dampen sound and vibration).   

Blueskin and Resistosound

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »
For anyone installing fresh carpet note that the outer seatbelt anchors go under the carpet with slits for it to pass through, not bolt through carpet. That's why the covers are shaped that way and have nothing below what would normally be the carpet level.

Oh man, I totally see that now!! Dang, i cant belive I missed that. I'm going to fix it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
All good. Sometimes I don't like pointing out things as it looks like you are picking on their hard work. Other times they appreciate it and just in time.

Being next to the seat it might not be seen or obvious but you could cut 2 small discs of carpet that tuck under the side sill plates, and insert them into your current carpet bolt holes, tape a patch on the rear.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:26:43 PM by Aus78Formula »

EscapeRacing

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
All good. Sometimes I don't like pointing out things as it looks like you are picking on their hard work. Other times they appreciate it and just in time.

keep the suggestions coming - I'll take them all day long. This is the best car ever.

gstrandfarm9420

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »
Just wondering, is that Blueskin heat resistant? Floorboards get pretty hot especially on the pass. side.

formula jg

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
gstrandfarm9420, i pulled up part of the carpet after the summer and so far so good, no bleeding of the bitumen.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:10:37 AM by formula jg »

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
You can help support TAC!