transamcountry.com
December 21, 2014, 02:29:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1979 Trans am paint colors?  (Read 4928 times)
79taman
Active Forum Member

Email
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:29 PM »

I have my new 79 TA in primer but i can't decide what color to paint it. It has black interior, and i still have the option to what color i want the wheels. I know for a fact after i paint it i am going to pinstripe it. Any ideas what some good color choices are?
BlkBird
Active Forum Member

SuperBaddBird

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »

Well if your only looking for factory colors I know of a good site with color codes for year and everything, let me think...what was it...oh yeah! http://tran-zam.com/Spotters_Guide/SpottingbyYear/Colors.htm

1971 Firebird
78TransAm
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:56:47 AM »

If your talking custom colors, there are really just a million personal opinions as far as factory, My favorite color for 79 was Nocturne Blue with the light blue decals. However I am not sure when you say pinstripe, you mean like the Bandit cars? If so I would say paint it black.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark Haynes
TAC Moderator
Warner Robins, Georgia

1974transam.blogspot.com/

www.MarkHaynesArt.com

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
ayers1981
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Mine is silver with 5 color orange decals and black interior. It really pops.

Is it fast? It has a bird on the hood don't it!
rockcrete
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »

I wrestled with picking a color for my 81 for almost a year - the problem is I like almost all the colors!

In the end, I finally just ordered the originall code 77 Dark Maroon Metallic last week......

I still really badly want a yellow TA with red decals though Very Happy  and white with blue decals and an orange one, and.......
thafezz
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »

Well, as you mentioned, you have the black interior, so you can really go in any direction you want.  That being said, you need to decide if you want to go with a stock color, or with something custom.  There are advantages to both, but it comes down to what YOU want.  Me personally, I like going with the factory colors for that make/year car.  But again, that is up to you and your personal preference.
Do you plan on selling the car one day?  If so, a factory color may be easier to sell than a custom on.  Plan on keeping the car indefinitely?  Paint it as you want.
That's my two cents, but regardless, you have a TA and that's what counts!  Good luck!  Post pics when you're done!

"once in awhile you get shown the light... in the strangest places if you look at it right..."  Scarlet Begonia's  - The Grateful Dead
79taman
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

I decided i am going to paint it the factory Platinum silver and pinstripe it in the anniversary colors. I think that would look nice
Mark G
Active Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »

Silver is nice because it hides a multitude of 'sins' (dirt, bad bodywork, scratches). But, OTOH, it's a lot tougher to spray than black or dark blue, for example, and get good metalflake lay-out. And, should you need to touch it up due to an acident, it's tougher to make non-detectible paint blends. But since it's your vehicle's original color, I think you made the best choice. My suggestion is to get an extra amount so you have some paint left over should you ever get backed into at a parking lot or something like that.

79taman
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »

Yeah i agree, I had thoughts about painting it gold and pin striping it in brown or black, but i really haven't decided.
MartinD
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »

Silver is nice because it hides a multitude of 'sins' (dirt, bad bodywork, scratches). But, OTOH, it's a lot tougher to spray than black or dark blue, for example, and get good metalflake lay-out. And, should you need to touch it up due to an acident, it's tougher to make non-detectible paint blends. But since it's your vehicle's original color, I think you made the best choice. My suggestion is to get an extra amount so you have some paint left over should you ever get backed into at a parking lot or something like that.

Agreed. Silver is a good color
BlueTTA
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »

79 Nocturn Blue is a really sharp color!!   

Thats what makes me love the Trans Ams!   Its strange that I dont own one that color.... yet!

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone

Chris
1979 Blue and Black Formula 400
1979 Solar Gold T-top 403
1980 Black Turbo T-top SE  w/400
1980 Blue Turbo T-top 301
1980 Blue Hardtop 305
1981 Brown Turbo Hardtop 301
79taman
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »

Well my top 2 choices are black and silver. I really like the black and gold like the special edition pinstriped in gold. but i also like the platinum silver with the red and black pinstripe. How bout y'all give me a vote between Black and silver
Burd
Sandbox Members
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »

79 Nocturn Blue is a really sharp color!!   

Thats what makes me love the Trans Ams!   Its strange that I dont own one that color.... yet!
YES, w/ camel interior and gold decals
Rick
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:22:19 PM »

Mine is silver with 5 color orange decals and black interior. It really pops.

So much so that other drivers at car shows are distracted by the colors and do silly things like run into it... Laughing Laughing Laughing

My wife was incredulous when I told her that story, BTW.
MrAFX
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 11:02:14 AM »

what?  they come in colors other than Black... say it isn't so!

I hate black cars... they only look great for 10 minutes and then there dirty again.

I hate red cars... it's my favorite car color.. just seems I never ever get to keep my red cars very long... so I gave up no more Red!

My favorite TA combo is Silver with 79 orange 5 color decals and Red velour interior ... but Black would look really good to,

Every night I pray Steve H will someday sell me his silver and orange with red interior 79 (for cheap too like 20k). I dreeeeeeam about that car! Alas, he wouldn't remember me though, I'll have to stop by his place sometime. Eventually I'm gonna wear him down. LOL

Buckeyedriver
Active Forum Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:39:11 AM »

How about gunmetal gray?  I kind of became a fan of that color when I saw the custom paint job on "The Good Guys" TV Trans Am.
Burd
Sandbox Members
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »

There was an orange in the 80-81 i liked, anyone have that,  would love to see a pic!
firebirdparts
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

firebirdparts
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

There was an orange in the 80-81 i liked, anyone have that,  would love to see a pic!

X2. 

I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
Grand73Am
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »

Here's the thread about this orange 81 TA that was being restored several years ago: http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=8414.15

Steve F.
Eagle3
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 10:03:24 PM »

I don't know why, but I like BROWN. Cool
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: