Author Topic: New Trans AM club - NW Houston  (Read 161543 times)

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
New Trans AM club - NW Houston
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:20:27 PM »
I was over at Koury73 house the other night helping him cut out a dash from his parts car.. and we started talking about starting up a new Trans Club in the Conroe/Spring/The Woodlands area..

Seems like all the car shows we go to... there is a real lack of Trans Am present and we'd like to change that....

What are you thought?

- eric
Money may not buy happiness, but it sure makes misery much easier to live with...

koury73

• Active Forum Member
      • check out my build!!!!
Re: New Trans AM club - NW Houston
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
I would just love too see some more t/a's in the public.  It would also be nice to meet some people locally that share the same love for these cars that we do.  .  I have sold a lot of parts locally, so I know your out there lol.  I helped develop a club in Amarillo several years ago which now has over 50 members.  The number of pontiacs at shows in that area has increased dramatically which I think could be attributed to the great car club that Amarillo has going now.  So as posted above, if anyone is interested please let one of us know
good. . bad. . . I'm the guy with the gun.

check out my build
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=34156.0

DriveIt

• Active Forum Member
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
I'm interested in finding a club in the area.  However, I'm way down in League City, and my car is still in pieces.
Kevin
'78 Firebird Esprit, Oldsmobile 425 on Ethanol

Here's my build.   http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=44268.msg393763#msg393763

Paul Kenney

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:00:10 PM »
TABOB and I were talking about cranking up the old Trans Am Club of Houston (TACH). We're just not as enthusiastic as we once were. Bob founded the club in '96 and it ran strong for many years, we still have a display at Autorama every year, but thats about the extent of the club at this point. I think in its heyday we had about 75-80 members, mostly 2nd gen. Yall might PM TABOB and see if he could provide some insight.
79 T/A SE W72
12 ZL1 Camaro

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
I'm in NW Houston and would love to be involved in a local T/A club, count me in!
“You can all go to hell…I'm going to Texas”, Davy Crockett
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R
1980 Turbo Trans Am Indy Pace Car

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »
Where abouts in NW Houston?

I'm in NW Houston and would love to be involved in a local T/A club, count me in!
Money may not buy happiness, but it sure makes misery much easier to live with...

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
I when I joined TACH, I found it mostly to be 4th gens... didn't see many 2nd gens... and I think most of the meetings where on the other side of Houston.. except for the couple of BBQs at TABOB (I think he was the host).

At one point offered to rebuild the TACH website but could not get any information and the person that I was trying to work with didn't want to hurt the then current web masters feelings... I think he had health issues... then one day there was a new site up and running under the new domain name I help set up...

Not wanting to pick a fight or point fingers.... I would like to have a club close to the house with members who have similiar interests and want to get together from time to time to talk cars, maybe help other members work on their cars and bounce ideas off each other.. and maybe get a good presences representing our cars at the local shows and meets.. 

TABOB and I were talking about cranking up the old Trans Am Club of Houston (TACH). We're just not as enthusiastic as we once were. Bob founded the club in '96 and it ran strong for many years, we still have a display at Autorama every year, but thats about the extent of the club at this point. I think in its heyday we had about 75-80 members, mostly 2nd gen. Yall might PM TABOB and see if he could provide some insight.

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »

249 and Northpointe, just south of Tomball. Whereabouts are you located?
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

Paul Kenney

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
I hear ya Misery, TACH in the early days had far more 2nd gen guys but by '03 or so it began to shift to a younger crowd with 4th gens. I suppose the original core members got busy with life and other interests and it just kinda died. Most of the core members are still in the area and we stay in touch, just not meeting regularly. In fact I ran into several of them in Dallas this past weekend at PSN. You would be shocked by the amount of very nice 2nd gens in the Houston area that just don't get out of the garage anymore. Not aware of a website anymore, we were really not into that, just met once a month out on Westheimer or out at HRP in Baytown. Anyway, alot of guys in the NW area that might be interested in starting something again, just gotta get the word out, most don't frequent TAC. I'm in the Beaumont area, but I'll help anyway I can.
79 T/A SE W72
12 ZL1 Camaro

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »
Oak Ridge North - acrross the freeway from The Woodlands - Spring/Conroe area....

249 and Northpointe, just south of Tomball. Whereabouts are you located?

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
I know there out there... we just need to find em.. and get out on the street.. any and all the help can provide would be great!

I hear ya Misery, TACH in the early days had far more 2nd gen guys but by '03 or so it began to shift to a younger crowd with 4th gens. I suppose the original core members got busy with life and other interests and it just kinda died. Most of the core members are still in the area and we stay in touch, just not meeting regularly. In fact I ran into several of them in Dallas this past weekend at PSN. You would be shocked by the amount of very nice 2nd gens in the Houston area that just don't get out of the garage anymore. Not aware of a website anymore, we were really not into that, just met once a month out on Westheimer or out at HRP in Baytown. Anyway, alot of guys in the NW area that might be interested in starting something again, just gotta get the word out, most don't frequent TAC. I'm in the Beaumont area, but I'll help anyway I can.

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
I know there out there... we just need to find em.. and get out on the street.. any and all the help can provide would be great!

How often do you attend the Niftee 50's car show at Spring Cypress and Champion Forest on Saturday nights?

I'm not sure I will be there this Saturday as it looks like the better half and I will be going to the races at Houston Motorsports Park, but we attend that on a fairly regular basis.

For sure I would like to see more Trans Am's in attendance there.
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

koury73

• Active Forum Member
      • check out my build!!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 12:22:07 PM »
I've heard that that cruise night has a good turnout.  Wasn't sure exactly where that was held at.  I'm gonna have to check that out here pretty quick.

check out my build

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
I've heard that that cruise night has a good turnout.  Wasn't sure exactly where that was held at.  I'm gonna have to check that out here pretty quick.
It's in the parking lot of Kroger at Spring Cypress and Champion Forest Drive. I am guessing they have 100 cars on a slow night, and many more than that on a busy night.
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
I started TACH from nothing and we had over 120 members in its heyday, mostly 2nd gens. Our monthly meets on Westheimer regularly had 30  to 40 2nd gens in attendance. As the cars became more valuable many members sold them off or stopped driving them. I am more then willing to help with a club and attend events, I drive all my cars.

Having said that I would set up the club the way that HALF (a first gen club in Houston) does thiers....... No dues, no officers or leaders, no meetings and no BS. Just like minded friends getting together and driving and enjoying their birds..... and helping each other with their projects.  Anything else takes away from the fun.

As far as having a regular meet, as spead out as Houston is you cannot get anyone to attend regularly with today's fuel prices if you set up a meet on one end of town or the other. Again looking at how HALF does it, they just attnd different meets around town every week. That way those members who only want to attend close to home can and thoae who dont mind driving can go to a different event every week. They also go on cruises and attend other car related events on a regular basis.

One of the things that frustrates me is sitting around and talking about getting a club going. That can go on for years. My cars have fuel and I' m ready to drive.......so where are meeting up tonight?
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White
76 TA (father/son project)
http://www.pontiacsonline.com/

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »
I like the sound of that... that sounds perfect! No dues, no officers or leaders, no meetings and no BS. Just like minded friends getting together and driving and enjoying their birds..... and helping each other with their projects.

I was out at Koury's house tonight picking up some stuff adn dropping off some seats...

I am wanting to get my bird off the perch and on the road by Oct... but needs tons of work... I know I can not get her finished, but want her legal and and able to roam...

Koury and I talked about hitting the Pick Your Part next weekend or checking out this yard out in Conroe that I heard about that allows you to walk the yard...

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
I am always happy to help when I can. What sort of parts do you guys need? I have leftover stuff from my junkyrad parts raids in the 90's. Back then you could find 2nd gen parts at pick a part all the time.

BTW, the host of the BBQ was not me, it was another club member.
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White

DriveIt

• Active Forum Member
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
Tabob,  I'd be interested in a core support for a 78 if you got one. Mine is rusted to hell around where the battery used to be.
Kevin

Here's my build.   http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=44268.msg393763#msg393763

thefirebirdman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • The Premier Firebird Trans Am Gallery
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »
There's a few of us down here in San Antonio that'd be glad to come up to Houston for a TACH sponsored car show. We've been going to Dallas for years. Houston's much closer.   :grin:
Jimmy
www.firebirdgallery.com
1969 GTO 400/400 Gold/Gold
1971 Formula 400/400 Blue/Blue
1973 Trans Am 455/4-Speed White/White
2002 Trans Am WS6/6-Speed Pewter/Charcoal

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 06:32:45 PM »
Tabob,  I'd be interested in a core support for a 78 if you got one. Mine is rusted to hell around where the battery used to be.

Sorry, I do not have any core supports.

There's a few of us down here in San Antonio that'd be glad to come up to Houston for a TACH sponsored car show. We've been going to Dallas for years. Houston's much closer.   :grin:

I Would love to host a car show but we cannot even get people to show up for a meet.
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White

koury73

• Active Forum Member
      • check out my build!!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »
Hey Bob,

It sounds like we have definately sparked an interest.  I would definately love to have a meet just to get to know all of you guys that are local.  Here I go with excuses, lol, but I am picking my car up from the paint shop this weekend but almost every weekend I am free to meet you guys up wherever you want. Lets see if we can get some people together on July 10th, I was thinking we could meet up, have some dinner somewhere and swap some ideas on how to better work this thing out.  Anyone please chime in, lets get the ball rolling. .  . TABob is right, talk is cheap, so lets do this!

check out my build

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »
Hey Bob,

It sounds like we have definately sparked an interest.  I would definately love to have a meet just to get to know all of you guys that are local.  Here I go with excuses, lol, but I am picking my car up from the paint shop this weekend but almost every weekend I am free to meet you guys up wherever you want. Lets see if we can get some people together on July 10th, I was thinking we could meet up, have some dinner somewhere and swap some ideas on how to better work this thing out.  Anyone please chime in, lets get the ball rolling. .  . TABob is right, talk is cheap, so lets do this!

July 10th works for me, just give me a time and place!
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

thefirebirdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
I might be able to talk some people into coming up for a meet once in a while but we could definitely make the effort to come up for a show if you ever host one. We have a POCI club down here in SA but its mostly GTOs. Only a few of us Firebird owners but regardless, if you get regular meets going again send me the info and I will pass it on to the club. One of the guys owns a very nice '69 Firebird and is working on a '78 Trans Am has family in Houston and goes up there pretty regularly.

Also, wanted to let you guys know there is going to be a pretty sizeable show in San Antonio on July 8th for the Collector Car Appreciation Day. Its the Castroville cruise-in held in Castroville, TX which is just a few miles south of San Antonio. They hold that show every weekend almost year round at a Chevrolet dealership there in Castroville but this show is expected to have a larger turnout becase of CCA day.
Jimmy
www.firebirdgallery.com

Paul Kenney

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 07:54:23 AM »
Going to San Marcos the 8th to see my daughter, she got into the masters program @Texas State, (proud dad moment) and meet the new boyfriend :-x. But we will be coming home thru Houston Sunday, may be able to hook up with you guys somewhere.
79 T/A SE W72
12 ZL1 Camaro

misery

• Active Forum Member
      • enolive
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
I am in for the 10th... where is a good place? Late afternoon?  Maybe Willies on 242 in front of Walmart around 5 pm?

Hey Bob,

Larry Navarro

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
The Woodlands is just up the road from me.........sounds like a good place to meet.
Home of the WFO "Hyperforce" shaker assembly
wfotex@att.net
Products available through Butler Performance

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
I can meet on the 10th.
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White

DriveIt

• Active Forum Member
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:14 PM »
Not 100%, but I think I can make the 10th.  But I won't be able to bring my car.
Kevin

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
The 10th is good for me too, and The Woodlands is just a quick drive from me in Tomball.
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

TxBandit

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
I hope this turns into something big again. I'm in Humble so count me in as well!!  It will be nice to finally put a face to all these names I keep seeing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:24:38 PM by TxBandit »
A friend helps you move. A GOOD friend helps you move...the body.

James
1980 S/E Trans Am

77TASurvivor

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
Hey guys, my husband and I are from the RGV and we own a 77 & 80 birds.  We would be interested in getting involved in some of your cruise and events.  Maybe you can send us a schedule of events that way we can make arrangement in taking our cars up to your area.  For the SA gentlemen, can you send us your calendar of events we would also like to attend some of your events. 

My husband has thoughts about starting a sec generation TA club here in the RGV, we know quite a bit TA owners but at the same time we would like to branch out further north to meet other TA owners.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Norma-1980 Pace Car Trans am 

thefirebirdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 03:25:23 PM »
We meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7PM at Grady's BBQ at Hwy 281 and Nakoma. We host a show every year as well in September. This year's show will be held on Sept 17th at the Alzafar Shrine Temple on Hwy 1604. I'll post more details on that show when we get a little close to the date. There is also a big cruise coming up on July 8th in Castroville which is a small town just a little south of San Antonio. The event is being held at Wommack Automotive and is set to celebrate the newly mandated Collector Car Appreciation Day.
Jimmy
www.firebirdgallery.com

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »
I am in for the 10th... where is a good place? Late afternoon?  Maybe Willies on 242 in front of Walmart around 5 pm?

Hey Bob,

So, are we on for the 10th at Willies @5:00 pm?
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
works for me. Does anyone plan to bring a bird?
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
Mine is in pieces although I am in hot pursuit of a 95 Trans Am to replace the wifes Mustang...ackkk spewwwww.....ahh much better  :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:09:59 AM by Trans Am Mike »
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

koury73

• Active Forum Member
      • check out my build!!!!
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »
mine just came back from paint so i have no glass or interior so i won't be bringing one this go round. . .

check out my build

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
mine just came back from paint so i have no glass or interior so i won't be bringing one this go round. . .

It looks like those committed are koury, tabob, and myself. Any others planning to make it????

Also, koury, you and I can wrap up our biz too.
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

DriveIt

• Active Forum Member
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 04:13:58 PM »
Put me in as a maybe. 242 is a long ways from Leage city, and my car is still in pieces.
Kevin

Trans Am Mike

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2011, 09:25:15 AM »
So.... whats the word?
1974 Trans Am 469/200-4R

tabob

• Active Forum Member
      • PontiacsOnline.com
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
Guys, I am not going to be able to make it. I have something else that really I need to do tomorrow. Hopefully we can meet soon. Perhaps at Niftee 50's next Saturday?
72 TA 4 spd Cameo White

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »
You can help support TAC!