2020-B2-3

Author Topic: What happened to the classified section on TAC?  (Read 61404 times)

dtpahrump

• Active Forum Member
Re: What happened to the classified section on TAC?
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
Why limit the qualification to 50 posts??? Why not have a couple of other qualifiers such as time spent logged in or length of memership time???? I'm on here everyday but just trying to learn about these cars...I don't have any tech knowledge to add and don't want to ask 50 stupid questions to gain access to the for sale section...just wondering....

Russman

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
I agree that there should be some sort of rules, those rules to be determined by the mods. I also agree that I would trust buying from a person that I have seen hanging around the site for a long time versus just stopping by. Maybe just my false sense of security, but just my opinion.

79 403 and Spooky......TAC Member since 2004

76455sd

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »
It's a testament to Mike's fairness that he is still allowing folks to post in this thread and didn't just lock it down.  He has explained the rules and posted a clear response as to why he decided on the policy.  He has obviously put substantial thought into this and folks should respect the way that he decided to handle it.  He started TAC and with assistance from the mods has kept this site going strong for quite a while.  It is his perogative to define the rules, respect that, follow them, and enjoy the site.

Mike, thanks for all you do.
Steve D
'76 LE 455/4speed/solid roof - SOLD
'02 WS6 T/A convertible

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
Thanks to all for your support, understanding and criticisism.  I welcome them all.  It is being discussed right now as to whether or not the post requirement should be reduced with the option of increasing it should the need arise.   The rule about businesses will not be alterred and is effective today. 

As to modifications to utilize other values...I would and I could, but man that's a lot of coding.  A total of 26k files make up an SMF forum and the file that brings up your single view of the forum calls a hundred or more at a time.  I'm a computer programmer, so I understand what it takes and I'd really rather not.  The amount of custom coding I've done for this forum and the regular site is enough to be a full time job.

I'm just trying to make TAC better and continue to carry some accountability to the community, sponsors and myself.  I hope you all understand.
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
We've decided to reduce the requirement to 10 and hope that's enough.

MobyNick

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
I'm a little bummed about the new guidelines.  I spend a bit of time searching threads to find answers to my questions, as well as looking at threads with projects and pictures.  I also peruse the classifieds regularly.  I'm just not much for posting unless I have a question that I can't find an answer to, or maybe if I'm looking to post for a part wanted.  

There seems to be a good handful of guys on here that really know their stuff about F Body cars, and I really appreciate their input.  Unfortunately their previous input is the main reason I don't really have to post much.  I'm busy (and quiet) enough that I'm just not generally conversational on a forum unless I have a specific question.  I think I've been on here for a couple years, and I'm sure it would be five more before I hit 50 posts - and at that only if I made a concerted effort to post often.  

I do use the classifieds to look for parts for my car, gauge the value of parts in the local market, and just kind of get a feel for the general availability of any given part.  I see the reasons for setting these guidelines and agree that they aren't uncommon on several other forums I've seen, but I think the same effect could be achieved by setting a post minimum for selling, not just for viewing in general.  I don't know if the logistics of that are feasible or not, but as the guidelines are now, while bunk sellers may be eliminated, legitimate buyers are eliminated as well.

Either way I enjoy the forum and offer thanks for that.

-Nick

MobyNick

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »
Disregard my last.  I just saw the new guideline.  I think I can muster six more posts after this one.

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
That's the spirit.  Now go tell 6 guys in the projects section they're doing a great job!   :lol:

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:48 PM »
Nice encouragement.  :lol: :lol:
73 Black Formula 400 4 speed
74 Admiralty Blue T/A 455 auto
75 Candy Apple Red Firebird 350 auto
76 Cameo White T/A 400 auto
76 Starlight Black T/A 455 4 speed
76 Sterling Silver T/A 400 4 speed
77 Glacier Blue Esprit 400 4 speed
81 Black Formula
75 Silver Formula parts car -dead-
76 Carousel Red T/A parts car -sold-
76 Trans Am parts car
78 Skybird parts car  -sold-

imwaahoo

• Active Forum Member
  • Just the begining of exciting new project!
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
MAN DID YOU SEE ALL THOSE PARTS THAT GUY JUST PUT UP!
That wasn't nice.  :lol:
1975 Formula 400 Firebird

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
JUST KIDDING!!!!!

79W72

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
I am respectfully voicing my complete disapproval of the new rule.  I have been a member since 2008, but I work 10-12 hours a day, have 2 kids and a house to take care of and have almost 0 spare time.  I barely even get to drive my  car anymore trying to keep up.  I enjoy surfing the new discussions and looking at the cars for sale in the 2 minutes I have prior to passing out on the couch.   So now I have I have to submit meaningless dribble while I am half awake forthe next month just so I can look at classifieds? No Thanks.
Is this thing fast?  Oh Yeah!

1979 W72 WS6 Survivor

Milly

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • The second most interesting man in the world.
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:02 PM »
I am respectfully voicing my complete disapproval of the new rule.  I have been a member since 2008, but I work 10-12 hours a day, have 2 kids and a house to take care of and have almost 0 spare time.  I barely even get to drive my  car anymore trying to keep up.  I enjoy surfing the new discussions and looking at the cars for sale in the 2 minutes I have prior to passing out on the couch.   So now I have I have to submit meaningless dribble while I am half awake forthe next month just so I can look at classifieds? No Thanks.

3 more posts and you're in.
John
1981 Trans Am (sold)
1996 Firebird (sold)
2001 Aztek AWD
2004 GTO

ILLTA77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2011, 07:33:24 AM »
I love this rule.     :-P

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
I must say that I am surprised by the negative side of this rule in that I keep hearing that "actually" participating on the site is useless dribble or endless chatter.  I'm guessing that is referencing the lobby, but that isn't the only section on the forum if you feel that way.  I've been actively participating in the greater pontiac community since 1998 and I am still learning and sharing what I've learned.  Trust me when I say that the TAC Mods and TAC community DON'T CARE IF YOU REPEAT A QUESTION EVERY NOW AND THEN.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:29:22 AM by mrbandit »

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »

2020-B1-8

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Funny, I didn't even know that there was a rule, I didn't put any thing for sale for a long time, I ran into that on another site, if the guy's don't know of you, there more cautious of buying off of you, but someone has to trust you.

gserdenk

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
I have to chime in on this one.

Saw 50 and now 10 posts. Not sure which is right, but if its 50 posts, given I can only get on this site 1-2per week it will take over 1/2 a year to over that number.

If we are trying to avoid scams, then its buyer beware. This site sounds like our MI gov (sorry I went there), which wants to protect us from everything and can't let us make up our own minds.

Lastly,
1) if the "Cars for Sale" section is not open to all, who will we sell our cars to, eachother. That will never grow our community.
2) When a new owner needs parts, like I do, where do I look if Parts for Sale is blocked.

78TA is where we need to go.
George

1978 TA - 400/4-spd Solar Gold T-top
1972 Vette - 454BB Conv

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »
My car is done, but most people didn't buy a car like I did back when it was new, so most guys are buying cars to fix up and will need parts, and like he said, without posting  NICE CAR ,   NICE CAR,  amen brutha, you da man ,  NICE CAR , how long until he finds his parts?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:53:32 AM by Burd »

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
It seems he met his quota easily with just one more post

Great stuff, I was looking for this and now found it in one thread.

Is it really that much to ask people to participate somewhere for 10 whole posts to weed out the severe scamming assault we have been under for the last two weeks?  If all they want to do is buy a part and never post/ask a question/, eBay has thousands more parts than we do here. For those who aren't working behind the scenes to stop the scammers (sometimes up to 50 or more per day) you may not understand.  We try to protect our own.  TAC is  more than a "cars and parts for sale" place.

Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »
It was originally 50, but we reduced it to 10.

I agree that we ARE acting on the behalf of the community and that it might give the appearance of big brother.  Keep this in mind gserdenk ... I've been doing this now for 10 years and did it your way for the 8 years.  Lets say I take 2 or 3 steps back in my responsibilities and follow that up with making you a Moderator.  How do you handle a situation where a active member for years starts taking peoples money, but doesn't give anything in return?  Would you care?  How do you handle a situation where a charter member starts taking up donations for a worthy cause and then never follows thru on everyones good hearted gestures?  Would you care?  How about when a active member\sponsor takes peoples cars and money and leaves them in the elements and blows there money on unrighteous living?  Would you care?  I care and I try my hardest to keep it from happening to the next guy.  Even if you don't agree I don't want it to happen to you.

Or should I let every user get taken, every spammer go to town in the forums and say I don't care?  Because that is exactly what you are saying.  And to compare me to the Government would imply that you've rendered financial support (aka taxes) of some kind whether its required or voluntary.  Did you have to pay a cent to log in before your post, because my pockets are still empty and your still posting.  

Everything that is enforced by the TAC moderator staff is discussed with as much thought as a parent would give regarding who babysits their kids while they are away.  I'm talking about 12 individuals that have been in this hobby since our 2nd gens were still considered new.  Before you stand up on your soapbox and tell me how to run a respectable forum that cares about the community and the hobby in general click the logoff button and start your own forum...or as you say...go to another firebird forum.    I won't hold it against you.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:40:51 AM by mrbandit »

BlueTTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
Well said, Mike!!
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone

Chris
1979 Solar Gold T-top 403

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Like the man said.....well said!
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

gserdenk

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
Wow that hurts. I was voicing my opinion and got slammed, even though I said I "hated to go there about Gov thing".

You are trying to protect us, and you care that TAC is in the middle here and you do not want the site associated with scams because then we would all suffer. I get that, but like I said this is the net and people need to take some personal responsiblity.

Sending or giving money to someone that they do not know, not having a contract or something in writing, doing transactions without contact info (e-mail is not contact info), etc is just crazy. That's why I prefer local and in person transactions.

Also in terms of payment, I would not mind if that's what you wanted. I'm part of NCRS and that requires annual fee.
George

1972 Vette - 454BB Conv

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
No- this is  a slam:

78TA is where we need to go.

Coming to a site and telling guys to go somewhere else because you didn't like one of a very few rules that was implemented about the time you joined.  Since then you have made 4 posts and are well above the amount needed to see the classifieds.  Was it really that hard to prove that you were a person and not a "bot" or a Chinese scammer who cannot make an intelligent post about a car or the site?  Their posts are automated; they don't respond directly to a thread subject.  By the way- make a post Brett@ 78ta doesn't like and see what happens there.  He will tell you that it is his site and things are done his way.  On here- very few are local transactions.  If you find all you need locally that is great.  Here- we try to see that someone's word means something because we send parts to other countries- not just the next state.  Your statement about "sending money is crazy"- so you get all you need locally.  You must be new to the game- I have been doing it for nearly 20 years now.  I have well over a dozen parts cars, and I still have to buy parts from people here and at 78ta.  No one is trying to "hurt" you or anyone.  But with over 5000 members- we now have to have a minimal interaction to see who is legit.  That's all there was to it.  You are well over your minimum post, and I don't see any reason for a complaint, to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:40:06 PM by kentucky yeti »
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »
Can I get the Gold arrows, I had my TA since '79, thats like Jedi status?  I'm # 13!

Maryland Bandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
As Paul Harvey would have said, "And thats, the rest of the story" :lol: 

sinister76ta

• Oracle Forum Member
  • -Christopher-
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
I don't see the problem with the 10 post rule. It helps to establish better feelings toward someone you're purchasing from if you see he has been interacting in the community.  :cool:
73 Black Formula 400 4 speed
74 Admiralty Blue T/A 455 auto
75 Candy Apple Red Firebird 350 auto
76 Cameo White T/A 400 auto
76 Starlight Black T/A 455 4 speed
76 Sterling Silver T/A 400 4 speed
77 Glacier Blue Esprit 400 4 speed
81 Black Formula
75 Silver Formula parts car -dead-
76 Carousel Red T/A parts car -sold-
76 Trans Am parts car
78 Skybird parts car  -sold-

gserdenk

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 08:43:59 AM »
I'm not complaning.

My biggest issue was the 50 post. 10 seems like a good number just to make sure we are not robots etc.

Most of you have been on this for awhile and have a lot of posts but I just got my 78 TA 4-spd in Nov 2010. So I'm here for information and help from the people who know the cars best and do not have a lot of feedback that I can give. So 50 post would be hard, besides time consuming.

Another issue is that if new members come on board and the classifed section was not visiable from the beginnging they may think TAC does not have that. This may be an Tech thing but it would be nice to state the 10 post rule to new members or at least show them the classified section but not allow them to post. Otherwise, we may lose people to 78TA. That's what I ment by "78TA is where we need to go."

Also being a newer member the first reasons I joined the site werw:
1) to looks for a TA that I may want to buy - if the Cars For Sale is blocked for 50 posts this would suck
2) to get member feedback on cars that I was looking at - If Whats it worth is blocked no feedback

Now I'm mostly looking for parts, not new to the game been working on cars for 20+ years myself (have a 72 454 Vette). Local does not mean just Detroit area, I've been to swap meets, etc all over the mid-west.

Not saying I've never been scammed in the past, but most were over phone/e-mail/etc. Learned my leasons. Maybe the younger guys need some lessons.
George

1972 Vette - 454BB Conv

BlueTTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
This may be an Tech thing but it would be nice to state the 10 post rule to new members or at least show them the classified section but not allow them to post.

Sounds like a good idea to me!
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone

Chris
1979 Solar Gold T-top 403

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
Fair enough.  The 50 post was probably a knee-jerk; we saw that it was excessive for our site so we adjusted accordingly.  I'm not perfect, although I won't admit it to my wife, and I will have to correct my actions sometimes.  This was one of those times.  I belong to other car forums that require 50 posts, and one that requires 100 posts before you can access the classifieds.  But in TAC's case- we can do better than that.  We actually do work behind the scenes on some issues that arise.  We want TAC to be user-friendly.  We also want it to be as safe as we can make it without actually intruding in someone's transactions.  That is all we're trying to do.
  The thought about making a "sticky" to show that we have classifieds available after 10 posts is a good one.  I'll check into that.  To make the classifieds visible, yet not allow new members to post would be very hard to implement program-wise.
  We have several people here who also frequent 78ta- myself included.  When looking for parts, I use both sites and recommend that others do too.  We don't want to make it hard on anyone.  We are looking for that balance.  It's hard to find sometimes.  Hope we're all good.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:03:08 AM by kentucky yeti »
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
Mike (aka Yeti)

1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
I'm sorry that my first post towards you was not to say Welcome to TAC.  I will say it now...Welcome to TAC and thank you for voicing your opinion.  I would hope you take away from this discussion that the TAC staff cares about its community including you.  The fact that we don't just slam the door and say this is how it is should give anyone an insite into our approach to moderating.   

I understand that the firebird community is shared by many forums.  If a person prefers the environment nutured on other boards I completely understand and will not hold anything against them.  We have certain standards here that we try to maintain.  We do not ask that a person choose between sites, as are sites should be in it for the greater good of the hobby.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:02:53 AM by mrbandit »

78TAHitman

• Active Forum Member
      • http://www.78ta.com
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
Normally I don't post over here because I am too busy with my own site.... just like MrBandit doesn't post on mine because he is too busy with TAC. But what was said earlier was right..... this is his site and his rules, just like if you come to my site, you play by my rules and my rules alone. If you do something I do not like, I will take care of it just like the guys do on here. Some people come around and blast what is done on one site or another, but they do not realize the amount of time spent running a forum. Yes, all of us have been blasted over the last few weeks with spammers, but even without that going on, the moderators here take alot of their own personal time to help make TAC a great place to be. They are not here for fun, they actually work when they are on here. They do have alot of discussion behind the scenes to try and make TAC a better place to be and 9 times out of 10 they do not get the thanks they deserve for doing it pro-bono.

Now to help also clarify a few things...... There is a difference between the "spammer" that they have been talking about for the past few weeks and someone who joins just to post parts for sale. If you want to read about what the spammers are doing, re=ad here: http://www.78ta.com/smf/index.php?topic=32221.0 . I will just put a clip here of what a spammer is:

"Spamming is not about hacking computers.... Basically it works like this...... Search Engines like Google or Bing or Yahoo or AOL or any of the search engines rank your page based on a few criteria. First it searches keywords on your site for relevance to what is searched for. So if you are searching for "HP Printers".. it searches through the webpages to see if the words "HP" and "Printers" is in your page and how many times. Second, it also looks for how many pages or other websites are linked to that page as well. So if your wepage (lets just say HPPrinters.com) is being searched by search engines (Spiders or Crawlers as they call them) it looks how many times "HP" and "Printers" is on your page and then also sees that 2.5 million other pages links to that page as well. The more words and the more linked pages to your site of HPPrinters.com, the higher you will rank in the search engines. So if your website only has those words once and only 3 other sites link to yours, then you will show up on page 1,976,234 of the search results. But if your page has those words 20 times and 2.5 million sites link to yours, then you might show up on page 1 or 2 or the search results. So what these spammers are doing is creating accounts on Forums with links to their own webpages to increase their search engine results. Now, really they are not linking to their own sites at all. They are someone in Romania or somewhere that got paid by a company to do this for their customers. So you can do a search on the internet and find companies who say they will increase your website traffic and rankings on the search engines. They then sign you up and get your website title and keywords that you want and turn around and pay these hackers in foreign countries to use programs like XRumer to automatically create usernames and accounts on Forums with links to these customer sites that have signed up for the service. So one person sitting behind a computer using XRumer to blast hundreds upon thousands of sites in a matter of minutes creating these fake accounts with website links and words in them to increase search engine results. So these companies who promise to increase your website traffic and results charge you like $100 a month and turn around and pay people minimum wage (or alot less) to sit there and use automated programs to do this. I hope I explained that right..... but anyway, that is the reason and premise behind these spammers and what they do and why."

So the "spammers" they are talking about have nothing to do with selling parts or trying to rip off anyone. They are just there to promote another website, that's all. Does a 10 post munimum do anything for the spammers?.... no, they post their spam in any section. As far as making a rule of a 10 post minimum to be able to post or see the classified section, again, his site his rules. Does it help protect to members here?... to a certain degree, yes. Does it hurt the members here?...... to a certain degree, yes. But it is one of those topics they have had discussions about and they weigh out the lesser of two evils and make the decision. I have had my moderators on my site complain about people who are just on my site to sell parts. I say "So what?". If they help out the community by selling needed parts then more power to them. But anywhere on the Internet whether it is a forum, or eBay, or craig's list, or any place on the Internet, it is "Buyer Beware". On both Forums we have had long standing members with alot of posts all of a sudden take peoples money and run. So did the 10 post minimum help anyone?.... no. Whether it is 10 posts, 50 posts, or 100 posts, it is still always "Buyer Beware". Does 10 posts all of a sudden make a good guy who won't take your money?.... no. So it is a debate that can go on forever, but again, these rules are set in place to try and help and they are not made easily. Anyway, I think I have gone on long enough and was just here to make a point.

And yes Tom, I miss Paul Harvey too, he always had great stories.
Brett Campbell
"Hitman"
www.78ta.com
www.89ta.com
www.taspecialties.com
www.ohiofirebirds.com
www.tanationals.com
1978 Trans Am, 1989 Trans Am, 1998 Trans Am

gserdenk

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
Yeti you rock for the quick fix.

Mr B Thanks for the welcome. I've been here since Nov 2010 but mostly searching the site for tips on repairs, parts, parts for sale, etc. I usually don't have this much time to be on the internet but its been a slow week at work (lol).

I appreciate TAC not slamming the door in my face, I was just trying to speak for the new guys here.

Thanks for listening and its great to see 78&TAC playing nice.

Just another suggestion; may want to post a lessons learned for the guys out there about buying off people.

Examples:
1) Don't send lots of cash (Western Union, etc)
2) E-mail is not contact info, get a phone number (even this nowdays is not enough), address (not PO box), and copy of person's ID if sending out hundreds of $$$$
3) If its to good to be true it prob is.
4) etc

Seems like some guys need it more then others, lets pass the wisdow on, and no I'm NOT that old, but been working on cars since before I can remember.

George

1972 Vette - 454BB Conv

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:44 AM »
Brett is exactly right on his definition of spammers and of their usage of black hatters doing the dirty work.  My usage of the term spammers on TAC was to describe what appears to be a real person who registers, lists a desirable pontiac\firebird parts and never answers PM's or returns.  This new rule and any rule for that matter is an ATTEMPT to discourage an activity we don't want.  I feel not addressing the issue is something I cannot live with.  Regardless, We make no guarentees and never have.  

Having said that, I want to be very clear that I am not trying to imply others sites are encouraging the activity if they do not have similar rules.  I just want to be very clear on my position.

The hardest job we have to run a forum nowadays is the validation of new users and determining if they are real people and\or actually here for the right reasons.  It reached the point where I have taken steps to combat this and our job has been made a lot easier.  

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:58:38 AM by mrbandit »

buzzkiller

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2011, 04:45:53 AM »
That explains a lot.
-1982 Firebird SE (Totaled by a head-on collision with DUI driver.)
-1987 Trans Am GTA (Traded in for a new car for my new wife. I believe I left my testicles in the console.)
-1979 Trans Am (Currently mothballed but finally in a position to start planning on the redo.)

muttdog77

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
Thanks

motorcycle79

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
looks like a good spot to post number 10

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »
looks like a good spot to post number 10

I like it....  :lol:
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1968 Pontiac Firebird 428 5 speed coupe

Former Firebirds -
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

agentofchaos

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
i totally agree :-D

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4