2020-B4-3

Author Topic: What happened to the classified section on TAC?  (Read 61403 times)

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
      • http://www.transamcountry.com
What happened to the classified section on TAC?
« on: June 15, 2011, 02:59:20 AM »
Answer - Nothing.  If you can't see sections in the For Sale, Trade, Hire and Wanted forum then you probably have less then 10 posts on TAC.

Why would you set a post quota on viewing the Classifieds section - Over the past few months there has been a surge in the amount of users only visiting TAC to sell items.  Many of these new "sell only" users make a post with good prices and never return or answer questions.  While others keep posting the same items over and over or bumping there posts daily to keep it on the first page.  None of which is fair to the community and \ or the actual TAC members trying to buy, sell or trade.  

Why 10 - While 10 seems like a lot of posts to activate access to the Classifieds section of TAC, it really isn't.  This number all but ensures that you are an active TAC member.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:10:38 AM by mrbandit »
1979 Firebird v6 3spd manual (they do exist)

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
Re: What happened to the classified section on TAC?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
your kidding I am not a endless chatter about nothing seems like its a little childish but i guess if thay want endless chat about nothing I will just seems like were going to cludder this forum up with endless junk chat ! to get 50 posts when you could get serious chats btw waht about the passer by that needs a part one of your members have for sale or is looking to sell a part one of your members need he wont be able to see it at all seems like your hurting the good members who want to sell there cars or parts and you will start loseing your members becouse your  driving them  to another sight to buy or sell and thay may decide thay like it better  ! I wish to RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE WITH THIS I come to buy cars and sell parts your members will lose sales and miss out on my parts now!
Hope to see your reponce !
ps If you want a alternate sight for a buy and sell I have one i will offer for free
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:38:05 AM by mrtransams »

brian c

• Active Forum Member
  • Akron, NY
      • http://home.rochester.rr.com/cdjmcarter/1978-ta/
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
I respectfully disagree with mrtransams.

Mike (mrbandit) has offered up his home for us to use. I don't see the harm in requiring a certain number of posts before you can post something for sale. Think of it as a little measuring stick to see if you are going to stick around and join in the car community. Other forums have something very similar in place for their for sale sections.

Yes it will increase the number of fruitless posts like "Hi!" or in the case over on 78ta.com "Happy Birthday Hammer" (Sorry Mike, couldn't resist even over here). But the point is that hopefully someone in those first 50 posts sees the community for what it is and decides to become a valued part of it.
1978 Y88 Gold Special Ed (1970 4 bolt main 455 bored 0.060 over)

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
      • German F Body Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »
I fully agree that rule. TAC is not a trade market or something else, it's a internet community where "members" can sale her parts.

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:58:08 AM »
well I have thought about being a sponcer but i dont chat I just like buying and selling I restore TAs for a living but i am not a chater seems to me like i wont be able to help the boards members unless i post junk posts all the time thats just not my thing and i dont have time to chat endless  I am in the shop working so I dont have lot of timeto spend chating eather  I do understand your point and am thankfull for this board and love TAC but I dont see how this is a great Idia please forgive me I just dont agree thanks  

jjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Fort Worth, Texas
      • http://www.301garage.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
 Without some sort of structure (rules) forums degrade into chaos and then
then truly do run off folks in droves.

The classifieds are in effect an additional service for TAC's community.

Since TAC reaches so very many folks and offers the classifieds for free,
one would wonder why any potential seller/vendor would balk at a minor
restriction.

I completely see and support Mike's logic.

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com/forum/

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
Point taken, but think of it like this:

We have quite a few members/sponsors who only post in the mechanical, or exterior, or whatever threads.  They post only to answer questions and give advice based on their personal experience.  They help others with their posts.  In return, you will find that those people become some of the most trusted and respected TAC members.  And they don't have a single post just to "chat."  They give of themselves for the sake of fellowship (much like our Pay It Forward" section).  You are already at 26 posts; perhaps since you restore cars you might be able to assist/give advice to someone now and then in the technical section.  Certainly no chatter there- that's where I go to find answers,  and to read up to learn more about the cars.  Just a thought to consider.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:59 PM »
Guess I could never thought about ancering posts my spelling sucks but i guess I could I only started posting here becouse some of the members that had been to my place to buy parts asked me to join and post so i will start looking to see if i can help but from what i have read you guys got it covered !

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
      • German F Body Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
common, you only need to post 23 times ^^, then you can see the forum market ;)

it's not much to post

jjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »

> my spelling sucks

and you have some of the longest sentences out there... <grin>

Get a spell checker and/or compose offline, then paste in your well thought out
message.

Teach folks how to do something, like remove and replace a common wear item.

Shoot, there are hundreds of ways to be a part of the community... Like what's
the strangest thing you've ever found in a parts car?

Joe

1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com/forum/

RayB

• Active Forum Member
  • Milford,CT
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
I totally understand where mrtransam is coming from...i'm not one to visit the lobby and chat about, respectfully, nothing important. On the other hand, I have seen, first hand, people come on with 2 posts to try and sell something and never to be heard from again.  :-x....that is not right either. While we could argue amongst ourselves about whether it should be 30...40...50...the basic idea is right for all our us that ARE regulars.
btw...had 50 been in place when i started it would have been 1 year before I could post something.
~ Ray ~

455sdbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
Am with mrtransam on this one too. am on this site at least once a day, read a lot post regarding many issues but never post anything myself, why be punished for that? If the biggest issue is "sell only" users that are not keeping up their end of the deal as far communicating and dealing with buyers, then put a 50 post quota minimun on sellers, period. otherwise what we are really doing is hurting the legit sellers from reaching all the buyers they could reach for their items.

wqcode

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:10:12 PM »
I need three more posts so heres one. 50 min. posts for sellers makes sense, but not buyers. I have bought from three diff. members atleast. I came looking for TAC because I am restoring a t/a so I need parts as well as knowledge.

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
There is always someone wanting a photo from a GM manual or something, post away, on the other side of the coin, if some guy joins to sell some parts, who cares. What if someone has some awesome NOS, and it goes back on the shelf in the garage because he can't get on ? Hmmmmmmm......

kentucky yeti

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • located in western Ky
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
I need three more posts so heres one. 50 min. posts for sellers makes sense, but not buyers.

To my knowledge, the computer program can't tell the difference between a buyer and a seller.  All it sees is the number of posts by someone.

What if someone has some awesome NOS, and it goes back on the shelf in the garage because he can't get on ? Hmmmmmmm......

And what if someone joins and posts that NOS part, you send them the money, and nothing comes in the mail?  It has happened.  Nothing is 100% but at least this is some protection from the hit-it-and-run bunko artists.  You guys really have no idea how many scammers and spammers have been trying to get on here for the last couple of weeks.  We are getting 50-70 per day, as are 78ta and AllGenTransAms.  Yes- it hurts the buyers until they get 50 posts, but is making a few posts worse than a scammer taking money from members and disappearing.  I see the minimum post rule as easily the lesser of two evils.
Mike (aka Yeti)

1969 Firebird 400 (non-numbers)
1977 Y82 W72 Auto
2015 F-150 Lariat 4x4 (twin turbo)
2016 Explorer Limited
2012 Mustang

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

2020-B1-8

jjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:47 PM »

Last month, I tried to give away a camper top for an El Camino that
I had bought. (different forum) I was unable to post an ad trying to
get rid of that thing. As I am a firebird guy I didn't have the min posts
to use their classifieds sections.

At first I was a bit amazed that I could not post a give away, but the longer
I thought about it, the more I got it... car folks love their communities and
take steps to protect them.

Forums take some definate effort to run and sometimes imperfect decisions
must be made, but to be sure they are a labor of love.

In 2007, I splintered off and put up my own forum, on it I have had to make
some decisions and not all were positively recieved by everyone. I have
no regrets as the community is point of the thing, not the occasional person
with some parts to sell.

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com/forum/

Milly

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • The second most interesting man in the world.
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Here is my line of thinking: Who are you going to trust more when considering the purchase of a part, car, or anything in our online classified ads?

Guy #1) Who has answered your tech questions, posted pics of his project that helped your project advance, helped decode that cowl tag or RPO code for you, or has taken the time to read your restoration thread and given encouraging comments.

Guy #2) Who is some random guy with 1 or 2 posts and no real history in the community that didn't even bother to follow the rules and post pictures of the car or list where the car is located.

The few times that I have bought anything from TAC members it's been guys like Guy #1.
John
1981 Trans Am (sold)
1996 Firebird (sold)
2001 Aztek AWD
2004 GTO

BigJer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »
I am a member of a couple Mustang boards that are way more restrictive(100 or more needed) so this isn't that bad.

1slowbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I do respect the decision and totally understand why it was made.  But I don't know as much as many other people on here, so I choose not to give out bad information.  I'm just a little bummed that I can't see a post I made a few days ago in the "What it's worth forum"

Pega_de

• Active Forum Member
      • German F Body Forum
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 04:40:23 AM »
I am a member of a couple Mustang boards that are way more restrictive(100 or more needed) so this isn't that bad.

in Germany it's the same thing in the Mustang boards ^^

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:59 AM »
well i have too say i never thought of that

formula80

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 10:01:54 AM »
Im gonna have to disagree with the restriction. Sorry but in my opinion we are all adults and It should be up to us whether we want to deal with a member with fewer than 50 posts. I just feel that many people will not be able to sell items that members need because of this restriction perhaps changing it to how many hours spent on the form or how long they have been a member or rate them in terms of positive feed back. Ill have fifty posts soon but i know some will be turned off besides alot of guys are not t/a nuts like us but they do come across t/a parts we need so they are not gonna be posting alot about t/a.

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
Retracting this statment
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:38:38 PM by mrtransams »

BigJer

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:34 AM »
The way i read it- they want you to establish yourself as a trustworthy member that contributes to betterment of the Trans Am group. Believe it or not- not everybody is straight-up honest. 8)

formula80

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
Yes I understand the motive im just not sure i agree with the method. For example I wasnt a member till I bought my firebird and then I quickly found this great site first thing I did was go to the parts for sale and started to buy needed parts from other members and made some great local contacts doing this.  If I had to wait before I could buy from other members I would have gone else where for them. At least allow new members to view the parts for sale / cars for sale sections then they can buy from established members. Thats just my opinion and I only offer with the hope of helping out. I will continue to enjoy this site either way.

drk1313

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
Keep this thread going any longer and we'll all be at 50! :lol:

I too ran into the same problem with a Monte SS I was looking to sell last year - I joined a forum and needed a certian number of posts to list my car - made sense after I grumbled a bit. There are so many internet sources to list items for sale, keeping the site more member friendly rather than an open swap meet makes 100% sense.
1980 Indy Pace Car
Also owned: 1979 W72; 1981 Turbo Formula

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »
Ok I stand Corrected Not trying to ruffel any fetheres

mrtransams

• Active Forum Member
      • FireCam
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
I just had left Knee  ACL replaced so i gave the guys 2 weeks off and i am sitting here playing on the net 50 posts wont be a problum so I guess I am ok with it

paul
ps 10 more posts to go
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:55:01 PM by mrtransams »

zrss

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »
What a load of crap.  I only have about 6 or 7 posts because I only post when I have interest in a specific part that is offered for sale.  Luckily for me I was able to purchase a seat belt from a forum member two weeks ago before this stupid ban was put in place.  Please accept my apologies for not having made 45 worthless posts to waste forum space and members' time reading.  I guess now I'll do that to reinstate the "privilege" of buying parts on this forum and supporting other members.

Oh, and thanks for the warning this was coming.

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »
What a load of crap.  I only have about 6 or 7 posts because I only post when I have interest in a specific part that is offered for sale.  Luckily for me I was able to purchase a seat belt from a forum member two weeks ago before this stupid ban was put in place.  Please accept my apologies for not having made 45 worthless posts to waste forum space and members' time reading.  I guess now I'll do that to reinstate the "privilege" of buying parts on this forum and supporting other members.

Oh, and thanks for the warning this was coming.

This is a automotive forum dedicated to Firebird models, not eBay.  If I would have warned you would you have posted 45 worthless posts to get around my stupid rule?  Have a blessed day!

mrbandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • TAC Webmaster
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Before I address anything lets first understand why the TAC classifieds section exists.   The need to put in place a community classifieds was solely for the purpose of sharing "Used" parts among the community members with two definite goals in mind.  To save money by doing transactions outside of ebay and to cut down on needless blind competition wars that were inflating prices on ebay.  

Community Concerns

Why put a requirement in place now after 9 years of existence?  It's about 5 years overdue.  As stated, drive by sellers, prankers and dead beats have taken advantages of boards like TAC that offer FREE communities to enthusiasts.  The ability to register on a forum does not ensure a level of common courtesy and mutual respect.  Everything from fake sell posts to porn has graced the TAC forum and to the credit of the TAC mod staff we have acted with one voice on one accord to protect the shared firebird community.

What about the guy who just signs up to sell his car or valuable item and move on?  I've been online since 1997 in the collective Pontiac online community.  I've only seen a few guys that inherited a car and sought out a forum to sell.  If they have enough knowledge to seek out a relevant forum then chances are they've researched what they have and will want top dollar for whatever they are selling.  The rest of those supposed one time sellers are flippers attempting to look ignorant to what they have, but still want top dollar or more.  I personally don't think the community will miss them and that decision is on me.

What about the guy who just signed up and needs to buy parts for their new project?  Chances are that person will want to get involved and will be here for the long haul and the 50 post minimum won't be much to endure.

Business Concerns

This new rule hinders my ability to do business on TAC!  I'm sure it does, but take a step back and look at the TAC forum as a whole.  There are 41 sections or sub-forums that exist for the community to advance their personal knowledge of Firebirds, but only 5 for buying and selling.  TAC exists for the community to keep our love of Firebirds alive and not for any person or group of persons to buy and sell anything.  

Webmaster concerns

Why do I allow anyone who is not a sponsor to do business on TAC?  I put this out there because for the last few years I have had to wrestle with questions privately.  Should TAC that is a free community prohibit a business of any size from doing business that is in direct competition with TAC financial supporting sponsors?  Should it matter if that business is a one man shop trying to earn extra money in this economy?  How do I explain what I've permitted to a sponsor when they ask...why do I need a sponsorship if I don't require one to be on TAC?  What do I do when I start losing sponsors because I've ignored my end of the sponsorship agreement?  I've thought on this more then anyone would ever know and I have to make the hard choice to not let it take place anymore.  Sure you can take this decision down to money, but that is a disservice to all of the TAC sponsors who have stood by TAC over the last 10 years who have never asked me to change the forums to suit them or to drop a competing sponsor.  That to me speaks volumes and the fact that none have held my foot to the fire on this subject is a surprise to me.  

Does this mean you have to be a sponsor to sell on TAC?  As a individual no, but as a business yes.  As a result of this new rule I have added a forth sponsorship option for those that only want to post in the classifieds section.  It is only half the cost of the cheapest sponsorship at $50.  To get more familiar with becoming a sponsor click here.

What defines a business?  Anyone selling new or new old stock in quantity.  Anyone selling used parts in great quantities.  Anyone selling items from a physical business or online entity.

Are there any grey areas?  Sure there are. If a member buys a parts car to build his project and sells off whats left that will be overlooked.  If a member changes his mind about a project and sells his car and new parts bought for the project that will be overlooked.  If a member buys multiple parts cars to be sold off to help fund a project that will NOT be overlooked.  99% of the time that member and their situation will be known, as it will have been discussed somewhere on the forum.  

I hope this sheds some light on the recent and upcoming requirements and rules in the Classifieds area.  I'm sorry to those that are inadvertantly affected by these changes, but they are necessary to keep TAC a professional community\site in good standings with the community and sponsors.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:55:16 PM by kentucky yeti »

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
Its all good, me and a buddy on stove bolt just had the same argument! love the site, and I didn't even know the posting rule. When I signed up on the other site a guy would not send me any money for a item, but I have been in the POCI for 15 years, that still did not mean anything.still if guy # 2 has a brand new shaker in the box, I would buy it!

formula80

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Thank you for the explanation as I now understand the reason behind the rule.

imwaahoo

• Active Forum Member
  • Just the begining of exciting new project!
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Wow, At this rate it's going to be a while before I can read the ads.
Couldn't we be able to read the ads but not post to classified until the fifty posts?
1975 Formula 400 Firebird

thebird3d

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »
I find this unfortunate.  I think a better solution would be to allow only people with 50 posts to create the threads and people with less then 50 posts to only view and respond to the threads.  At least that way people that would like to buy parts could still but them, even if they are new.
1976 Trans Am 455 4spd ('73 Nose) Carousel Red - Project

imwaahoo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »
So I'm wondering how many posts I have and is a response the same as a post?

imwaahoo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 04:27:21 AM »
Where do i look to see how many posts I have made?
 Whooo hooo....one more post towards my fifty!

imwaahoo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
ok I figured it out... posts are noted under your member name.
Sorry about all the questions. But I'm getting it figured out.

Burd

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
MAN DID YOU SEE ALL THOSE PARTS THAT GUY JUST PUT UP!

455sdbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
I like the THEBIRD3D solution, there's gotta be a better way of doing this. here's one more post for me, alright!!

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 07:19:10 AM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4