transamcountry.com
August 30, 2014, 12:12:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Overhaulin ever come back on the air with a new season?  (Read 3460 times)
Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« on: April 29, 2011, 07:14:19 AM »

I read somewhere about a year ago they were supposed to bring the show back but I don't know if they did? I as always hoping to see him do a 2nd Gen car and see what he would do with it. Since all of them are unique it surely would be something with a kickin stereo and a billion horsepower. I'm more curious what he would do with the outside. Especially a full blow S.E. of some sort like a Pace Car or Bandit car. I had one my wife wanted to set me up to have done but the show cancelled before she could do it. Doh!
BigJer
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »

I've been hoping for the same thing. There is a new show starting 5-7 on Spike called "Search and Restore" that might have potential.
Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »

Sounds like it may...especially if they go all over the country. I think the problem with Overhaulin is they only did cars that were in California. What about us poor saps in the midwest with all the road salt! We need some serious Overhaulin here!
vsefiream
Oracle Forum Member

Rochester, NY

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »

Sounds like it may...especially if they go all over the country. I think the problem with Overhaulin is they only did cars that were in California. What about us poor saps in the midwest with all the road salt! We need some serious Overhaulin here!

LOL they avoided the northeast like the plague  Cool

John R
1978 TransFormula Fire AM http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr273/vsefiream/My%20Fire%20Am/
1 of 815 4spd WS6 formulas, now a TA clone, 461 stroker, DN 5spd, 4wd, full VSE stage I & II kits as well as some stage III items.  DSE sub frame connectors.
Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »

Tell me about it...I'll never forget when I lived in Vegas in the early 90's I drove one of my rust buckets out there. I brought it into a shop to have some work done and the mechanic was extremely pissed. He asked "Where the heck did this car come from?" I said "The midwest". He said "How do the mechanics work on cars out there when they rust like this to where you bang on it underneath and get showered with rust and break every bolt you try to loosen?" I said they all carry a good supply of some sort of Liquid Wrench and all are equipt with torches in their tool collection" He said he couldn't get paid enough. LOL I guess only the real manly mechanics work out in these areas. So I'm not shocked Overhaulin never left Cali. Foose isn't stupid. LOL
TxBandit
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

LOL they avoided the northeast like the plague  Cool

They had to avoid them because if they took one, it would've taken longer than a week to restore.  Razz Razz

A friend helps you move. A GOOD friend helps you move...the body.

James
1980 S/E Trans Am
Andrew.P
Active Forum Member

Apoligo@HOTMAIL.COM
andrew.poligo
Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »

They did a early camaro from texas once I did not think it turned out all that well. the guy wanted a pro street car it got some huge block chevy but thats where it ended no cage no hel tubs the paint was off the wall pro street tho so I guess it got close enough for the  to finnish it himself   I ended up with a box set of all the overhaulin shows its awsome but not that many pontiacs a lemans, Armstrongs GTO,and I think they did a 69 firebird for a guy 

Flashlight?
77bandit428
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 06:20:01 PM »

I say good riddance,i got tired of them putting chevrolet engines in Pontiacs. They lost me when they put the chevy small block in the '69 firebird.
77TAfromMO
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »

Didn't the Armstrong car get a new Poncho ?  I thought so maybe from Butler.......might be confusing it with the show that the featured the Year One BRE TA.  Confused

1977 Brentwood Brown TA 400 Auto
Andrew.P
Active Forum Member

Apoligo@HOTMAIL.COM
andrew.poligo
Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

You know I think you are right the firebird and armstrongs GTO got butler motors but if I remember right it was the lemans that got the SBC I think the owner was just thrilled to have his car restored so I say good for him even if it did not get a pontiac engine if hes ok with it who am I to judge... ignorance is bliss right

Flashlight?
js1977
Oracle Forum Member

1977 Trans Am

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »

It needs to come back, I loved that show.  Wish I was lucky enough to have them work on my car and have it done in a week, but being my luck.  I'll get my car back from the shop after paying all that money and THEN end up winning a contest for Overhaulin to restore my car.... Um, yeah could you just maybe get me a butler with a 6 spd tranny and rear gears to match, I'm happy with the rest of the car... Laughing Laughing Laughing

What do I know, I'm just some dumb peckerwood that lives in the country with too many guns...
richduty455
Oracle Forum Member

Trans Am isn't just a car, its a way of life!

smoothprimo smoothprimo
Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:02 AM »

i can see it now, they take my 80 t/a in and do a whole custom job on it, bring it back and unveil it to me and i say "WTF! change it back!" hahahha

Our Current Birds:
70 Ram Air III auto
71 455 HO T/A auto white (pop's 1st car)
71 455 HO t/a auto blue (pop's)
71 formula 455 HO auto (little bros)
73 SD 455 auto
74 SD 455 auto (pop's)
77 T/A
78 Y88 ws6, w72 4speed 79k
79 TATA 400 4spd 38k orig (pop's)
79 trans am 350
80 y84 455HO doug nash 5 spd
80 T/A 400 pont auto
84 L69 auto areo T/A
94 firebird 3.4 t-top daily
97 WS6 lt1 au
Trevon
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:27:39 AM »

i can see it now, they take my 80 t/a in and do a whole custom job on it, bring it back and unveil it to me and i say "WTF! change it back!" hahahha

I have that same thought in some aspects. Just watched one again today with a '67 Firebird; the guy and his father completely did the interior, stock, and it looked great, but they just got rid of it and put in some ugly racing seats.  I have done quite a bit to my interior, spent quite a bit of money and I'm proud of it; I'd be royally pissed off if it was just taken out...as for the rest of the car...sure it still needs some work..  Laughing

Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »

I wonder if they save any of the old parts they take out? As we all know some things are very sought after and difficult to find, I'd be angry myself if they just yanked everything out and pitched it in a dumpster. If they gave it back that's a different story, it could always be put back in.
firebirdparts
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

firebirdparts
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 07:26:04 AM »

I'd say to anybody who wants a car restored in a week, more power to ya.

I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 07:39:49 AM »

There actually is a place in Illinois near me that will do a "fast" restoration....I don't remember if it was one week or two. They do show cars and hot rods, I had him look at one of my Trans Am's. He said on cars like this where it isn't just a collision repair but a restoration they have a 24 hour crew so there is always someone working around the clock on that car until it's complete. He promised me a complete "turn key" just rolled off the showroom floor restoration and the price was $11,000 and I do think it was a week. I have to find the price quote, I'm sure I still have it somewhere. Keep in mind this was about 9 years ago so I'm sure that price wouldn't be that today. I know the place is still around but I cannot remember the name. I wanna say it was J & L Auto Body but don't quote me on that.
mrpontiac80
Oracle Forum Member

North west Arkansas

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »

You know, alot of people question the quality of the builds on shows like overhaulin, but you have to think, if you have a money is no object plan to get something done in 7 days, and you have someone working on each section of the car nonstop at the same time, and they are just simply bolting on new repo parts for the most part, I have no reason to think it could not be done.

Now a "fast restoration" is a completely differant story to me. That to me simply means sosmetic fixes to get the car presentable. But a show liek overhaulin where the it seems no one is actually paying for the parts, it seems that the only labor involved in most of the car is taking things off and replacing them with new parts ready to install. When you take out the hours of polishing, restoring gauges and wiring and etc, its alot faster. Even the body work... I mean if you have one or two guys on a fender and the same for each other panel from start to stop, it just seems possible to me that these cars are going to leave a better quality than some may think.

Michael Russell

Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:33 AM »

Either way it's done...your having someone else doing your restoration by just throwing money at it. For people that's fine but I don't see how you can take pride in someone else's work. There are certain things I will have someone else do. I can do most things but I know my limitations. When it comes to paint and installing decals....I'll leave that to the pro's and also rebuilding the block and turbo. Just about everything else I can do myself for the most part and to me that is the fun of restoring a car. For those who do the quicky thing they might as well of bought a perfect one and been done with it.
js1977
Oracle Forum Member

1977 Trans Am

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »

I don't think you have to be willing or even able to do a majority of the work on a car to have pride in it.  My T/A was a rust bucket that had a tick in the motor and a clank in reverse. I don't have the tools or knowledge to rebuild the motor or trans.  I also don't have the tools to fix metal (I have the knowledge) or tools/place to paint.  But I did restore the entire interior myself, fix the carb, replace shocks, u-joints, and hoses. I did what I had knowledge in and tools for, the rest I went into detail on how I wanted the car to run and look.  So when it is finally finished, I can take pride in it because it was my hard work (in the few areas), my money and my ideas that went into this car to bring it back to life.  Now don't get me wrong, I look up to the guys/gals that can rebuild these cars from the ground up without any outside help and envy the guys/gals that have the money to have their dream cars rebuilt in a week.  Bottom line, we all love to drive these old detroit dinosaurs, how we get them road worth is on the owner... You don't have to build the car to love driving it.   Razz Laughing

What do I know, I'm just some dumb peckerwood that lives in the country with too many guns...
Phonetek
Active Forum Member

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 05:40:42 PM »

You put some serious sweat into that car. You did something to it so you can appreciate it more. You did it because you love making it better. You don't have to restore it from the ground up and do everything yourself. My point was, why buy a basket case and have someone else do the whole thing, let alone in a week? How could someone else for example like Overhaulin have the same vision as you do? They get their information from others telling what THEY think you would want but seriously. I have many ideas in my head I haven't told anyone about. I'm far from an expert, I have many limitations and things I would rather feel better having others do. For example, sending out my rear console I have for restoration. There is NO WAY I would attempt to do such a thing myself. Such a rare and expensive item should be left to the pro's. If I ruined it I would never forgive myself. LOL I guess it's kinda like the difference between someone driving a rental as opposed to their own car. They are much more likely to do things to the rental you wouldn't think of doing to yours. People drive them for 2 days and they get trashed. Now a days buying a car for 30K your less likely to do that because you appreciate your own car as opposed to one for $30 a day from Enterprise. I have never seen anyone in their driveway putting a nice coat of wax and giving the wet look to the tires on a rental. I do agree we all love driving them though
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: