2020-B1-1

Author Topic: seat bushings  (Read 6194 times)

RED80TA

• Forum Member
  • Akron, Oh
seat bushings
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:27 AM »
does anyone know where i can find the seat bushings shown below? they are used in the bracket that comes from the seat back where it pivots on the seat bottom. (see Pictures)

ILLTA77

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: seat bushings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
I've heard some people use a bushing from a tailgate, Check at the local autoparts store in the Help/Motormite section..

Grand73Am

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
The tail gate bushing is different and for another location and purpose.

That bushing, I don't know where to get them. You might could find a website that sells makes and sells bushings and compare the sizes and shape to match some up.
Steve F.

ThKidd

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Lowe's hardware store typically has a selection of nylon bushings (in the hardware section, typically in the pullout drawers).  Not sure if they have the correct size, but it might be worth a try.  Let us know what you find.
1977 PHS-documented SE black-on-black (work in progress, ok, not much progress)

winks79

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 07:28:07 AM »
i agree with Kidd. i have had great luck at Lowe's or any other hardware store. Carry one in and tell them you need to see the selection of nylon bushings and compare.
Chad

RED80TA

• Forum Member
  • Akron, Oh
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 07:55:18 AM »
yeah i went to lowes but didn't find one. but what i did find was a hole plug that i thought i would just drill out the cap part.

thebeavis

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
I would try Ace Hardware, their selection is much better

RED80TA

• Forum Member
  • Akron, Oh
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:45 AM »
thanks beavis, i'll try there

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:00:05 AM »
does anyone know where i can find the seat bushings shown below? they are used in the bracket that comes from the seat back where it pivots on the seat bottom. (see Pictures)

RED80TA or others.  This is an old thread, but I'm facing the same situation today.  Has anyone figured out a way to either make a replacement or found a source of an acceptable alternative for this part?  The 77 TA I am restoring did not have any, or even a shard of one for me us use at hardware stores for comparison.  Alternatively, if anyone has four (4) of these to sell, I'll take that solution likewise.  Thanks.

skip99

• Active Forum Member
  • Ohio
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Thought i saw them on ames site
Fa208f.    New product part number
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:10:16 AM by skip99 »

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Thought i saw them on ames site
Fa208f.    New product part number

AWESOME!!!!  Thanks a lot, skip99.  I have two pair are on the way.  Pretty expensive at $7.50/pair + shipping, but we do what we have to sometimes with this cars, right :smile: 

Part# Description 
FA208F 1971-81 BUCKET SEAT HINGE NYLON BUSHINGS, PAIR (RE) $ 7.50

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: seat bushings-fitment note to others
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
The bushings are going back to Ames.

My car is a 1977 TA with the original bucket seats that I suspect had been apart at some point by a previous owner.  Only based on the FBody videos of seat assembly, I guessed a previous owner had not replaced the bushings.  As such, I ordered the new Ames version, which is not molded, but instead is a standard nylon bushing that is turned down on a lathe to make the flange, which is noted on the website.  The ID of the bushing is correct for the seat bottom frame stud and the length and flange thickness seemed appropriate.  However, the critical dimension OD was too big to fit inside the mating hole of the rear seat back bracket.  Disappointed as the idea of a nylon bushing at that swivel point seems a good idea, I put the seat back together and noted there is was no room for any bushing between the stud and the seat back mating hole.  For the bushing to fit, I'd have to drill out the mating hole, which was not happening.  At that point, I question if there was any bushing in a 1977?  It might be a later post-77 modification by Pontiac that was missed in developing the product to claim it covered years 71-81.  Having the bushing dimension in the product description or confirming the years of use would have saved me a delay.       

800qjet

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Photobucket
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »
I found a scrap of paper with the tailgate bushing info - think it came from TAC.

NAPA  Ford tailgate bushings  #675-5144

I don't know how they fit but at least it may be cheap if it doesn't suit.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. For instance - if she's holding a gun, she's probably angry.

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »
NAPA  Ford tailgate bushings  #675-5144, I don't know how they fit but at least it may be cheap if it doesn't suit.

Thanks, 800qjet.  Base on the tight fit of my seat backs to the lower seat frame stud, I don't think my 77 ever had a bushing, so I'm going sans bushing. 

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »
Interesting thread, been meaning to check my seats, had them apart and don't recall any of the nylon inserts shown, or any play from being missing.

What year is the pic shown? Might have been a late change or specific seat frame type.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 03:31:19 PM »

2020-B1-8

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »
Interesting thread, been meaning to check my seats, had them apart and don't recall any of the nylon inserts shown, or any play from being missing.

What year is the pic shown? Might have been a late change or specific seat frame type.

Though never explicitly stated, since the thread was started by Red80TA, I'll guess an 80.

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 06:48:40 PM »
I have the tail gate bushings they are used to eliminate the seat "lean" dont worry new,video is coming on this part!

TA6.6Liter

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
I have the tail gate bushings they are used to eliminate the seat "lean" dont worry new,video is coming on this part!

I assume you (Pete?) read the entire thread.  Can you confirm if these bushings were a later modification?  I don't think my original 77 had bushings.  Is it known if the bushings were added to prevent the metal on metal contact that might enlarge the hole and that is what caused the seat to lean?  If yes, then the bushings would take the abuse and could be replaced.  Just my engineering thinking.

Fbodywarehouse

• Oracle Forum Member
      • Fbodywarehouse
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
I am checking into this for ya will update.

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member

allenga

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »

I assume you (Pete?) read the entire thread.  Can you confirm if these bushings were a later modification?  I don't think my original 77 had bushings.  Is it known if the bushings were added to prevent the metal on metal contact that might enlarge the hole and that is what caused the seat to lean?  If yes, then the bushings would take the abuse and could be replaced.  Just my engineering thinking.

For all those concerned, my original 77 Trans Am did not have these seat hinge bushings and the new Ames part does not even come close to fitting.
1977 Trans Am, stock 400 W72, auto.

Y88 TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 12:15:24 PM »
Funny you brought this up. I just noticed a couple days ago that my drivers seat back leans toward the center console a bit.

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 03:39:21 PM »
As Grand Am said way back, there's 2 different bushings being discussed in this topic and most crumbled 30 years ago so even original owners probably didn't know they existed. The bush at top of page, and now repro'd is for the actual hinge. The tailgate bushing often used is for the striker latch.

Y88 TA, missing either of these or having wear or a bent seat frame can cause the common leaning problem. Start with the latch bush, since it's easy to see if missing and the most accessible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:06:00 PM by Wallington »

james.dowling99@yahoo.com

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2020, 05:13:13 PM »
Interesting, the drivers seat in ours leans also. I will get to that soon, hopefully

Y88 TA

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2020, 06:46:18 AM »
Thanks Wallington, I will  check that out. I never noticed that you updated your post until today.

james.dowling99@yahoo.com

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2020, 04:50:04 PM »
So, gentleman, that little bushing is what causes the seat {driver's in my case} to lean toward the console, as described earlier in the post?
Also, I would like to replace seat foam, I was wondering if anyone has purchased any repro seat foam? I see this project in my very near  future.

Wallington

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »
There's two bushes in this post, they both contribute but the sleeve bush over the striker bolt is more the issue, along with damaged seat frames.

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-3