transamcountry.com
July 29, 2014, 08:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q-Jet throttle body worn out -- Replace with ?  (Read 1277 times)
Jackri
Active Forum Member

Starting the 79 TA = instant smile

« on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »

My quadra jet carb has been rebuilt but the throttle body at the time was worn out and really need to be replaced.

Thinking of going with the Edelbrock performer series 1412 - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1412/?rtype=10
Also thinking of getting a new intake manifold (edelbrock) but can't seem to figure out what matches up with my car and the carb
Car's a 1979 T/A with the 403 olds engine.

Or do I have other options? Thinking next winter having some engine work done while we have "down time" driving during the ND winters.

Is the Edelbrock carb/intake manifold the way to go or are their other options?

Jackri
Active Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »

After doing more searching (I could spend days reading here lol) I'm looking at possibly:

3711 Edel intake manifold
1412 edel carb? 

gold79ta
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

I have no clue about the carb but that is the intake you want.
If you go with another intake it will be to tall and the shaker will sit to high
Maryland Bandit
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

When you say 'worn out', in what way? Those throttle shaft bushings can be replaced. Stay with the Q-jet, you'll be much happier in the long run.

1999 30TH ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM # 592
1979 Y84 S/E- sold
Jackri
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »

The guy that rebuilt it said he did all he could with rebuilding the carb -- not really sure what that meant but after having some fun in a parking lot it went from non-driveable to driveable after his rebuild.

So if I can find someone who can rebuild the q-jet that's the way to go? Thinking about it I'd rather go that way I think.

Now another question. It's been 12 years but the last time I changed out the fuel filter I know I stripped out the screw in portion (darn hard line) and fuel gushed out so theres like 1/4" of plumbers tape on it keeping it sealed (hey i was 19 or so).

If I remember correct that threads into the intake correct?  Is there a benefit other that weight to replacing the stock intake manifold for the edelbrock 3711 or just to be safe with the stripped (badly stripped) fuel filter thing?

Maryland Bandit
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:22 AM »

I rebuilt 14 Q-jets in 2010 alone. Shocked If your a first timer, it can be intimidating to attempt one, especially if its your own car, with no back up carb. Books are great, to an extent. But, there is NOTHING like seeing and hands on the actual parts, seeing how they all fit together. The books sometimes miss the
little tricks or nuiances on how a piece goes on or comes off in a series of steps. That can only be done by trial and error found by taking one apart and re assembeling one. Over the past 25 years, I've probably rebuilt 40 or so Q-jets, from the basic ones to the computer controlled ones. The best one was a tear down and rebuild of a members carb here on the parking lot at the NATS, 2 years ago.
Don't go with a Holly, they have thier place, but, not without thier own issues on our cars.
   The 3711 Edelbrock Performer  intake is a direct replacement for the cast iron stock one, just way lighter. The height will be exact. The Performer RPM intake 7111 is higher and will have shaker clearence issues.

1999 30TH ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM # 592
1979 Y84 S/E- sold
Mr. P-Body
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

Agreed with Tom. The throttle shaft problem has been around since the beginning of Rochester "time". Bushing it CURES it.  Under no circumstances do we recomnmend an Edelbrock carb for a 400 CID engine. LOTS of "tuning uissues"... They're a knock-off of the venerable Carter AFB/AVS which were introduced in the '50s. Q-Jet is FAR superior.

Send it to Tom (Marhland Bandit). He does a good job.

Jim
Jackri
Active Forum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »

I'm going to PM him now  Cool

TripleTransAm
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »

What mileage can one expect to get from an original throttle body/shaft before vacuum leaks become an issue? By the same token, once things are repaired what can one do to prolong the life of such a repair?

/Steve
1987 Trans Am GTA
1998 Trans Am WS6
1978 Trans Am L78 (sold)
1978 Trans Am W72 4-speed WS6
Jackri
Active Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »

I averaged 14mpg in town and I've gotten 20-21 mpg back in 1999 going from Florida to North Dakota before anything was ever done to the carb. My pick up gets 15-16mpg so it's a wash on what I drive Smile

Aus78Formula
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 06:46:06 PM »

If you have a 403 olds and want to upgrade slightly, go for the Edelbrock Performer but NOT the Performer RPM intake which is a completely different beast. The standard Perfomer is stock height and basically a light weight copy with improved runner flow. Also, keep the quadrajet. when rebuilt it will not only be superior but will also allow you to run the factory fittings, shaker and aircleaner, the Edelbrock won't and have yet to hear someone with one syat hey are totally happy with it.
Grand73Am
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »

What mileage can one expect to get from an original throttle body/shaft before vacuum leaks become an issue? By the same token, once things are repaired what can one do to prolong the life of such a repair?

I'd consider the throttle shaft bushing repair to be permanent. The bushings are described by Cliff in his book as self-lubricating bronze and will "last just about forever". His Throttle Shaft bushing kit is great and easy to use. I've put in 2 sets using it.   

Steve F.
Jackri
Active Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »

I just have to not be a tight ass and start looking at this stuff and have it shipped to be done Wink

My gear head cousin agrees, the MOPAR guy I work with is like oh just buy this and this lol. Dumb mopar guys  Laughing

79 T-Top Delete SE
Active Forum Member

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

Let me just say that I was that guy that had Tom re-build a Q-jet in the parking lot at the Nat's.....believe what he says, you won't go wrong.
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: