transamcountry.com
April 19, 2014, 07:14:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help! r/r rear leaf springs 71 trans am  (Read 643 times)
27fever
Active Forum Member

« on: November 04, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »

hi all,ok car is up on jack stands (4), I disconnected the rear sway bar,the shocks,the drive-shaft,removed the t-bolts and the u-bolts and lower rubber pad that attach the leaf spring to the axle,and removed the 3 bolts that attach to the front eyebolt to frame,I think I should have removed rear shackles first but at this point I dont think it matters,my help question is with axle shafts supported also by blocks,there seems to be alot of tension still on the leaf,where should I be jacking or raising axles to make sure leaf is at its relaxed position so I dont kill my self removing ?any step by step? help needed..I was planning to remove the gas tank later to install a new sending unit,should I go ahead and do this now? I hear sometimes the rear shackles bolts are a bitch? 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:52:12 PM by 27fever » Logged
1blk1
Oracle Forum Member

'79 WS6 W72 M21

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »

you need the diff on a floorjack so you can raise and lower as needed...and yes the tank out of the way makes it much easier

"the more im around people, the more i like my dogs"

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” Carl Sagan
LeighP
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:17:25 AM »

Let the car sit on stands with the diff and springs hanging, unbolt the lower plates, shocks etc, lift the diff with a trolley jack...it will pop off the springs. you can then leave the diff supported by some spare stands and change the springs.

Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
GEN II Racing Products - Australia
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: