2020-B1-2

Author Topic: Need Help with Engine Codes? Use Wallaceracing.com  (Read 19657 times)

pontiactor

• Active Forum Member
Re: Need Help with Engine Codes
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
I will not be able to crawl under it and look for the casting number till this weekend when I hopefully will have time to air up the tires, unload it and pull it into the shop. And no, I am still not clear where to look for the casting number or the vin on the block??? If i could load pic to this site it would help me as many of you would answers just by looking. What is the decoder ring secret to load attachments here??? I'm used to easy access as I have on numerous other sites. When I did fire it up and it ran for 20 secs or so, it was loud and earthshaking as there are no exhaust pipes past the headers. Other than casting numbers, how do you tell a Pontiac 455 BB from a Pontiac 400 just by looking? Distributor, heads, or what? This is my first Firebird. I'm more used to Fords and Jeeps. Thanks for the help.

70RAIV455

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:13 AM »
Look for the Mona Lisa picture Icon 3rd over from the left at top.
Click on it.
Add your direct link from a photo hosting site.
Like Imgur or Yahoo.
Do not use photobucket.

pontiactor

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
Yes...I agree. What does that have to do with my posting?

granpabear913

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
so i bought a 1983 trans am. 305 5 speed tranny, 15 inch tires, what looks like factory dual exhaust, 4 way disc brakes, and the 8000 rpm tach. it has the four barrel carb but the intake and carb are both edlebrock. usual rust, but the car runs and drives and is actually pretty quick for what it has. i am going to keep the car and slowly rebuild it. i thought about the 350 4 bolt main and the t56 5 speed but after the joy ride tonight i think i am going to leave it stock. the motor is a numbers matching engine and the tranny has been swapped out with an 86 5 speed which does not have the cable speedometer. my questions are can i take the car to the transmission shop and have them pull the tail housing and convert it to cable drive speedo? my next question i already know i will have to find the build sheet and i know about phs but the suspense is killing me, in anybody's opinion does this sound like the l69 motor? i know they made 662 that year, i know it was the first year they made them, i know you had to order the car with ws6 and 5 speed to get the l69. if i remember correctly the l69 was the only car that year with the 8000 rpm tach. i also know that the l69 came out in march of 83 and pontiac was short on parts and made many different add ons to use parts and try to give there customers a more performance based car. the l69 by no means was a high performance engine but it was the best you could get from the factory at the time. my trans am is a running driving restoration project that on my budget will take years to complete but it is a lot of fun to drive. i just wish they would have left the intake and carb alone.

granpabear913

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
i really did not mean to change the subject from the 78 to my 83 but i am stuck on figuring out what they were trying on this car. it has the s engine code in the vin which refers to the "cease fire" the crossfire i mean, but according to production numbers i found they never made the crossfire with the manual tranny.

Fyrdude

• Active Forum Member
Re: Need Help with Engine Codes? Use Wallaceracing.com
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2019, 04:47:00 PM »
This is an old thread but it leaves a few questions for me. I was hoping to confirm a few things here. Some of the links here about engine ID are not agreeing. I can find no date code on my motor near the base of the distributor. The day/night indicator is on the side of the block near the stamped vin.  The car is a 1978 Trans Am automatic. Here are some of the numbers I have found.

Casting number.   500557
Vin on block.        106301
Vin of car             2W87Z8N106301
Letter code.         YA
Driver side front.  “400” forged on block

Happy about the vins matching. All the things I was reading stated a Y code on the front means a 301. Z in the vin indicates 400. The 500577 number comes back to a 1975 400 in one reference.

I’m just trying to clear up my confusion. I don’t know a ton of the history of the car so I want to learn what I can. The motor is out currently, but getting close to reinstalling. I have pics of all this but not sure if I can post them here via iPhone. Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Mike

1978 Trans Am

Fyrdude

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »
Digging around on Wallace Racing and found a chart that stated a YA code is a 400 motor. I guess I need to take a class on code breaking...
Mike

1978 Trans Am

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2019, 06:40:40 AM »
500557 block castings are all 400's.  They were used for everything in 1978 except for the W72's.

If you use the Wallace decoder and put in 1978 and YA, they pop right up.  That was the base 49-state Trans Am engine.  They show two entries that you could have either block casting, but I would say GM didn't intend that.  If they put that in their database because somebody had one, then some could have been built with the "wrong" casting.

Anyway, yours is normal.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

Fyrdude

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.... everything was indicating 400, but that YA stamp made me think it might be a 301. When I saw the vin numbers were matching, I felt a lot better. The factory service manual I have was showing that 400 and 301 engines use many of the same components and it has a chart stating “Y” code are 301s.
Mike

1978 Trans Am

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 04:54:02 PM »
You can help support TAC!

2020-B1-4