transamcountry.com
October 23, 2014, 12:37:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can you straighten a bent hood?  (Read 2337 times)
sidheanwwyn
Active Forum Member

Email
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:07:23 AM »

my hood latch was broken, since replaced.  while it was acting bad, my hood came open while driving three times.  going less than 15  all times, but the last one bent the hood, where it attaches to the hinges.  if you've never had the experience, i don't recommend it.  it's barely noticeable, but the hood doesn't want to shut right now.  you kinda hafta play with it for a while.  how hard is it to straighten one?  does anyone know a trick to do this?  i really don't want to spring for another hood.

1979 TRANS AM
NOT A TA
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:47:53 AM »

First, are you sure the hood itself is bent? Or is there a possibility that the adjustment of the hood hinges was thrown off when they were yanked? Have you tried just readjusting the hinges to compensate?  I've straightened several hoods of different types of cars including birds that had hoods fly up. Have any pics of the outside when closed and the bent part (if noticable) inside?

John Paige
sidheanwwyn
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:06:44 AM »

it's too bad photobucket is such a pain...  i tried taking pics, but with a black car it's hard to get the bends to show.  you have to really pay attention to notice it, but the hood IS bent.  the bent part is immediately after the nose end of the hinges, and only on the sides can you really see it well.  if the light is just right, you can see it on the top.  i figured the hinges need to be adjusted, but i'm more worried about the hood.  mine is rust free, and only had some very minor dings in it. 

1979 TRANS AM
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: