Author Topic: Anyone else in Oregon?  (Read 23318 times)

• Active Forum Member
Re: Anyone else in Oregon?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »
Seattle area, bought my '77 back in late 2011 in Lebanon, Oregon. 

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
Geno -

Have the same motor to start swapping into my '79 403 this summer. Are you planning on keeping the same intake manifold? Will be watching to see how it goes for you.

Chris

72blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »
Geno -

Have the same motor to start swapping into my '79 403 this summer. Are you planning on keeping the same intake manifold? Will be watching to see how it goes for you.

Chris
Hi Chris,
Looks like the Performer on that 400 has a provision for EGR- I have to build the engine to pass CA smog, so I'll be putting EGR, a cat, and stock manifolds on the car too. I don't want to choke the engine, so my plan is to install a y-pipe off the cat and run dual muffs and tailpipes to splitters. If the smog station fails me, I have a stock 76 intake and a stock transverse muffler to sit behind the axle. I'll be swapping the carb to a fresh Q-jet as well.

Geno
1977 SE T/A (sold :( )
1974 455 T/A (sold :( )
1972 Esprit restomod
1976 T/A restomod
1975 Formula 400 4-speed

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2016, 03:17:06 AM »
Great. Thanks. Are you planning to use an aftermarket CAT such as a Magnaflow? I'm in the same boat regarding smog, so will be using RARE exhaust manifolds and CAT / Y-pipe. I also have the Performer RPM intake and a drop base shaker assembly, so not sure how that it going to turn out yet.

Have another question for you since you have built a number of cars before. I haven't done an engine swap or restoration before, so this will be new territory for me. I can clearly see how one thing leads to another, and I'm not sure I want to have my car reduced to a garage full of strewn parts just yet. Have only put about 20 miles on the car since I bought it 1.5 years ago :(  I was kind of hoping to be able to get the motor / EFI / exhaust installed, and then perhaps sometime in the future I could more work on the other parts of the car. Generally, it is in good shape and is garaged, so no worries about the elements deteriorating things further.

Does this sound like a reasonable approach, or would you recommend doing other work while I have the motor out? It is pretty much a factory original car with all the original rubber parts to boot.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread away from its intended purpose.

Cheers

72blackbird

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
Chris,
I'm not sure what emissions control requirements Portland has vs. CA, but I'm sure a cat is part of the required equipment. EGR and stock exhaust manifolds are also required- RARE manifolds do flow better than the log-style manifolds, but should pass visual inspection.

A Pontiac 400 has it's fuel pump on the driver side, so clearly you need to reroute your fuel line. Chassis and engine mounts for a Pontiac V -8 need to be sourced as well. I would focus on getting everything Installed first, running and smogged with a carb before upgrading to EFI.

The only thing worth doing with the engine out on a clean car  is detailing the engine bay. I would also consider replacing any body and suspension bushings, rebuilding the front brakes. A fresh engine looks out of place in a dirty engine bay. I'm planning to open up my 400 when I get it home, check the bearings, and install new front and rear seals. Supposedly this 400 is a decent runner, and with a new carb, plugs and wires it should run well, provided it has good compression and decent heads. I also have the correct 6x-4 heads, if the existing 6x-8s need servicing.

Geno
1977 SE T/A (sold :( )
1974 455 T/A (sold :( )
1972 Esprit restomod
1976 T/A restomod
1975 Formula 400 4-speed

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

Spoon

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »